May 02, 2024, 10:05:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 14642 14643 14644 14645 14646 14647 14648 14649 14650 14651 14652 14653 14654 14655 14656 14657 14658 14659 14660 14661 14662 14663 14664 14665 14666 14667 14668 14669 14670 14671 14672 14673 14674 14675 14676 14677 14678 14679 14680 14681 14682 14683 14684 14685 14686 14687 14688 14689 14690 14691 [14692] 14693 14694 14695 14696 14697 14698 14699 14700 14701 14702 14703 14704 14705 14706 14707 14708 14709 14710 14711 14712 14713 14714 14715 14716 14717 14718 14719 14720 14721 14722 14723 14724 14725 14726 14727 14728 14729 14730 14731 14732 14733 14734 14735 14736 14737 14738 14739 14740 14741 14742 ... 33316 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26371087 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
ahpku

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 02:33:55 PM

... "kludge" Thats a meaningless self-serving propaganda term invented By Gavin The Fudster and friends. What makes it a kludge? Gavin said so? It cleans up the structure and fixes many problems like malleability. ...

Kludge. Perfect fit. Also amazing ignorance on your part.

quick-and-dirty solution that is clumsy, inelegant, inefficient, difficult to extend and hard to maintain.

None of those are true re segwit, what makes it a kludge?

Its just a meaningless propaganda term?

It's clumsy (overcomplex and inelegant) and irreplicable (you can't segwit your segwit, "difficult to extend") -- sooner or later blocksize cap will need to be raised.
So fixing a prior kludge (1MB max_block_size) with *another, goldbergian one* is the epitome of kludginess. The all-pro rule of code maintenance is *making previous kludges unnecessary, not adding another layer of kludges to give the previous kludge a new leas on life.*
 Sad

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sAt0sHiFanClub

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Warning: Confrmed Gavinista

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2016, 02:37:53 PM

Throwing statements about with no explanation does not help your case.

So why dont you explain to me what makes it a Kludge?

Also, I tried not insult you so please try and not to insult me.

I never said segwit itself was a kludge. (its inelegant at best)

If you read back to my original post, I asked you about how making segwit SF-able was a kludge.  Maybe answer that question.

segwit should be a HF. Making it a SF is political and destroys most of their credibility.
danielW

Activity: 277

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 02:39:23 PM

... "kludge" Thats a meaningless self-serving propaganda term invented By Gavin The Fudster and friends. What makes it a kludge? Gavin said so? It cleans up the structure and fixes many problems like malleability. ...

quick-and-dirty solution that is clumsy, inelegant, inefficient, difficult to extend and hard to maintain.

It's clumsy (overcomplex and inelegant), and unreplicable (you can't segwit your segwit, " difficult to extend"), sooner or later blocksize cap will need to be raised.
So fixing a prior kludge (1MB max_block_size) with *another, goldbergian one* is the epitome of kludginess Sad

What is overly-complex or inelegant about it? The current structure of transactions with the signature being part of it but malleable is inelegant and causes many problems. Segwit is an elegant solution to that.

It also allows elegant scaling solutions to be developed down the road.

As opposed to the inefficient hard-fork kludge that can not be extended as it comes at price of making huge nodes, huge block-chains decentralisation etc.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 02:39:39 PM

Segwit gives the same capacity increase as your hard-fork,

Segwit is accounting fraud. It actually has higher bandwidth demand than a simple blocksize bump of equal effect.
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 02:41:37 PM

Segwit gives the same capacity increase as your hard-fork,

Segwit is accounting fraud. It actually has higher bandwidth demand than a simple blocksize bump of equal effect.

but it is opt in, so no biggie if you dont want it.
sAt0sHiFanClub

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2016, 02:41:46 PM

The current structure of transactions with the signature being part of it but malleable is inelegant and causes many problems.

Wrong. The malleability isnt a big issue in bitcoin now, but will become more serious with the functionality expansion required for LN.

Its solving a problem that will be brought about by LN.
nanobrain
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Dumb broad

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 02:43:04 PM

Christ....I remember when this thread was about walls, trading, speculation and general 'doom' or 'moon'...now its just page after page of people talking incomprehensible blockchain bollox and petty politics.

There has always been some sort of crisis threatening the very existence of BTC, get used to it.

So, all the bed-wetters getting worked up about this: you do realise there are entire sections of this site devoted to these topics.  Perhaps you could all fuck off to those pages and stop boring everyone me to tears with your endless segwit, hardfork fuckwittery.
danielW

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 02:43:08 PM

If you read back to my original post, I asked you about how making segwit SF-able was a kludge.  Maybe answer that question.

segwit should be a HF. Making it a SF is political and destroys most of their credibility.

Again why is segwit as soft-fork a kludge? because Gavin the FUDster said so? Its a much better to have soft-forks then hard forks and allows capacity to be increased immediately. With hard forks the entire network has to move before anybody gets benefit.

Is not the big motivation to increase capacity?
ahpku

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 02:50:22 PM

It's clumsy (overcomplex and inelegant), and unreplicable (you can't segwit your segwit, " difficult to extend"), sooner or later blocksize cap will need to be raised.
So fixing a prior kludge (1MB max_block_size) with *another, goldbergian one* is the epitome of kludginess. The all-pro rule of code maintenance is *making previous kludges unnecessary, not adding another layer of kludges to give the previous kludge a new leas on life.* Sad

What is overly-complex or inelegant about it? The current structure of transactions with the signature being part of it but malleable is inelegant and causes many problems. Segwit is an elegant solution to that.

It also allows elegant scaling solutions to be developed down the road.

As opposed to the inefficient hard-fork kludge that can not be extended as it comes at price of making huge nodes, huge block-chains decentralisation etc.

See boldface above. Seriously, think about it.
danielW

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 02:50:46 PM

The current structure of transactions with the signature being part of it but malleable is inelegant and causes many problems.

Wrong. The malleability isnt a big issue in bitcoin now, but will become more serious with the functionality expansion required for LN.

Its solving a problem that will be brought about by LN.

Wrong,  I would guess most wallet or bitcoin developers would tell you that malleability and dealing with it is a pain in the Ass. It is for me. I will hazard a guess that you have not done any bitcoin development if you said that?

Firstly have you forgoten Mt. Gox and how all exchanges went offline to fix their malleability problems?

I remember wasshisname from LTB talking about it recently because of problems it was causing his platform due to difficulties related to transaction chaining.

Malleability is a big annoying thing that pops up all the time to cause problems.
Fatman3001
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013

Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 02:50:52 PM

Christ....I remember when this thread was about walls, trading, speculation and general 'doom' or 'moon'...now its just page after page of people talking incomprehensible blockchain bollox and petty politics.

There has always been some sort of crisis threatening the very existence of BTC, get used to it.

So, all the bed-wetters getting worked up about this: you do realise there are entire sections of this site devoted to these topics.  Perhaps you could all fuck off to those pages and stop boring everyone me to tears with your endless segwit, hardfork fuckwittery.

You just drop in every six months to tell us we're a bunch of assholes. We know! We're trying to improve ourselves! Don't we sound cleverererer now?
belmonty

Activity: 295

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 02:51:00 PM
Last edit: February 07, 2016, 03:03:47 PM by belmonty

So, all the bed-wetters getting worked up about this: you do realise there are entire sections of this site devoted to these topics.  Perhaps you could all fuck off to those pages and stop boring everyone me to tears with your endless segwit, hardfork fuckwittery.

I hoped to find out a reason for the $6 price increase in this thread, and I hoped people would be discussing it. Instead I found a wall of posts about segwit combined with acronyms like hf and sf. Once upon a time people would have discussed whether the bottom of this dump was in, but now it's all block size debates.
ahpku

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 02:55:38 PM

I hoped to find out a reason for the $6 price increase in this thread, and I hoped people would be discussing it. ...

Life is flux, belmonty, nothing stays the same... A lot of people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch of unconnected incidents and things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice of coincidence that lays on top of everything. Give you an example, show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate of shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, "plate," or "shrimp," or "plate of shrimp" out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconsciousness.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 03:01:21 PM

Coin

Explanation
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 03:04:27 PM

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 03:29:49 PM

So, all the bed-wetters getting worked up about this: you do realise there are entire sections of this site devoted to these topics.  Perhaps you could all fuck off to those pages and stop boring everyone me to tears with your endless segwit, hardfork fuckwittery.

I hoped to find out a reason for the $6 price increase in this thread, and I hoped people would be discussing it. Instead I found a wall of posts about segwit combined with acronyms like hf and sf. Once upon a time people would have discussed whether the bottom of this dump was in, but now it's all block size debates.

I like the convenience of finding all my Btc news in one thread.  If i want to expand my understanding of any of it I can do so.

As to why Btc went up 1.5%?  Noise, somebody bought a few Btc and it wasn't me.  I am merely hodling until last year's tax burden is settled.

sAt0sHiFanClub

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2016, 03:31:10 PM

Again why is segwit as soft-fork a kludge? because Gavin the FUDster said so? Its a much better to have soft-forks then hard forks and allows capacity to be increased immediately. With hard forks the entire network has to move before anybody gets benefit.

Is not the big motivation to increase capacity?

How do you feel about the segwit kludge of pushing its commitment into the coinbase tx? You ok with that design approach?  What was the motivation for it? Expediency, efficiency or just so that they would not have to sell segwit as an evil HF?
craked5

Activity: 840
Merit: 529

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 03:34:52 PM

Have to say I don't understand any shit about what's discussed here most of the time.

And I don't see really the link with the thread "wall observer".
But I keep coming here for chart buddy Grin
Andre#

Activity: 737

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 03:41:05 PM

We are nowhere close to "everything will suck soon" tm. You guys have been saying that for a year now btw.

Actually several years. We've been repeatedly pointing at the same stupid, unnecessary hard ceiling, and pointing out that the inexorable trend of increasing transactions has us on a clear intersect.

In the meantime, we have recently gone from things never sucking in regards to capacity, to things sucking for brief flashes of time. The issue is not how much one needs to pay to get a transaction through, the issue is that with the current block size, no more than about 350,000 transactions can be processed in a day. Period. No matter how much money is thrown at the transactions.

Here's what those two non-parallel lines would look like if the bump to 2MB occurs May 1:

Thanks! This is still the best graph.

Yes, this is still the best meaningless graph, Andre#.

You are so "spot on" lately. Grin

I am, indeed.  Cheesy

Wahou wahou wahou!

Thanks for the graph indeed, it's a good way to see things.

But what I get from this graph is that 2mb blocks would be a very temporary solution no? Is it only me?
Cause it seems like even if we go to 2mb it'll last for a few months maybe a year or two before we need another action taken.

Indeed. But at least it buys some time for Segregated Witness to get into effect (x1.7), and later on perhaps the Lightening Network. If these don't materialize, it would have to be increased further in two years time.

nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 03:43:23 PM

http://www.coindesk.com/private-satoshi-roundtable-bitcoin-exec-scaling-debate/

"To be held from 26th to 28th February, the event follows the inaugural edition of Satoshi Roundtable, which garnered criticism at the time of announcement for an alleged lack of transparency and air of secrecy. Though it eventually opened its doors to limited media presence, this year's event, by contrast, will be closed to the public."[/b] Grin Cool Tongue

"The attendee list also includes bitcoin startup CEOs such as BTCC's Bobby Lee and Align Commerce's Marwan Forzley, as well as representatives from Bain Capital Ventures and Fidelity Labs."

Bain Capital Vultures brought to you by the likes of Mitt Romney and friends.

I repeat, closed to public.  Open source and decentralized, whoopee!!
Pages: « 1 ... 14642 14643 14644 14645 14646 14647 14648 14649 14650 14651 14652 14653 14654 14655 14656 14657 14658 14659 14660 14661 14662 14663 14664 14665 14666 14667 14668 14669 14670 14671 14672 14673 14674 14675 14676 14677 14678 14679 14680 14681 14682 14683 14684 14685 14686 14687 14688 14689 14690 14691 [14692] 14693 14694 14695 14696 14697 14698 14699 14700 14701 14702 14703 14704 14705 14706 14707 14708 14709 14710 14711 14712 14713 14714 14715 14716 14717 14718 14719 14720 14721 14722 14723 14724 14725 14726 14727 14728 14729 14730 14731 14732 14733 14734 14735 14736 14737 14738 14739 14740 14741 14742 ... 33316 »
  Print  

Jump to: