Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:27:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 »
  Print  
Author Topic: KnCMiner Openday Wednesday 5th & Monday 10th June  (Read 91298 times)
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 09:19:42 PM

I noticed that on their linux machine, they even had a seperate console utility to monitor the status of all the FPGAs (temp, current, power usage etc), this means that they have a whole suite of FPGA related design platform, and they just fit bitcoin's hashing function into that platform

And they said they are not going to have an ASIC prototype, just replace the FPGA with standard cell ASIC and direct go for mass production. I think this is risky, without a prototype, how can they sure all the heat and power usage fall in a reasonable level? Unless they have done this many times before, they might encounter what BFL experienced last year

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 09:22:21 PM

I noticed that on their linux machine, they even had a seperate console utility to monitor the status of all the FPGAs (temp, current, power usage etc), this means that they have a whole suite of FPGA related design platform, and they just fit bitcoin's hashing function into that platform

And they said they are not going to have an ASIC prototype, just replace the FPGA with standard cell ASIC and direct go for mass production. I think this is risky, without a prototype, how can they sure all the heat and power usage fall in a reasonable level? Unless they have done this many times before, they might encounter what BFL experienced last year

Cool, let's get some expansion on that!

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
whisper

Activity: 267
Merit: 250

Learn to go against your mind

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 09:25:36 PM

Why u dont ask them?
DeaDTerra
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 09:27:47 PM

As the Swede I feel responsible for explaining this weird phenomena.
When Swedes graduate at third year of Gymnasium,
We celebrate that we now are unemployed and without a job by jumping on a big truck, half naked, spraying beer on each other and everything that moves while listening to loud music.
It is just a normal day in Sweden xD
//DeaDTerra

maybe graduating from the university would make it easier to get a job??
Yep Tongue
Which is why it feels a bit weird celebrating after gymnasium. I guess it is stuck from the old times when almost no one had higher education.
//DeaDTerra
DeaDTerra
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 09:29:41 PM

Why u dont ask them?
He did, they said something in the lines of that it is a linear progression from the FPGA.
And that you can make some basic calculations to estimate both the watt and the hashing power based on the FPGA performance (as I understood it).
//DeaDTerra
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 09:36:28 PM

We celebrate that we now are unemployed and without a job by jumping on a big truck, half naked, spraying beer on each other and everything that moves while listening to loud music.
//DeaDTerra

Yep Tongue
Which is why it feels a bit weird celebrating after gymnasium. I guess it is stuck from the old times when almost no one had higher education.
//DeaDTerra

Trust me, UK wise; graduating from university does not mean it's easier to get a job! Grrr...

It guarantees a lifetime of debt though!!

DeaDTerra
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 09:37:26 PM

//DeaDTerra

Yep Tongue
//DeaDTerra

Trust me, UK wise; graduating from university does not mean it's easier to get a job! Grrr...

Not in Sweden ^^
Here education is free Cheesy
//DeaDTerra
TheSwede75

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 09:39:23 PM

Why u dont ask them?
He did, they said something in the lines of that it is a linear progression from the FPGA.
And that you can make some basic calculations to estimate both the watt and the hashing power based on the FPGA performance (as I understood it).
//DeaDTerra

ORSOC have pretty damn solid background in fpga design and development as far as I understand. If they are betting that they can do a pretty straight swap from fpga -> ASIC I for one would probably bet they know what they are talking about.

fwiw Sweden has some pretty damn talented engineers and programmers, especially in open source and electro mechanics.
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 09:39:50 PM

//DeaDTerra

Yep Tongue
//DeaDTerra

Not in Sweden ^^
Here education is free Cheesy
//DeaDTerra

Yes, thanks I'm aware of that, it was free here, until the bloody year I started!! Cry

All Scandinavian countries give great education! Wink

In Norway there is practically zero reason to ever leave education, their PhDs are as well funded as the jobs people do them for...Undecided

johnyj
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 09:41:00 PM

Why u dont ask them?

I asked them and they said that simulation of that part is done by the chip manufacturer, they only have the simulation at rtl level

TheSwede75

Activity: 224

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 10:46:16 PM

Why dip a toe, when you can jump in Smiley
I think my group purchase is the first group buy to verify purchase of a Saturn - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=225322.0;all

"Now, we wait"
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 11:06:56 PM

Why u dont ask them?

as i understood it they are experienced with heating/cooling problems and approaching it with being flexible in both the number of chips used per device and extend of load on each chip in an overall modular setup.
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 11:10:02 PM

Why u dont ask them?

as i understood it they are experienced with heating/cooling problems and approaching it with being flexible in both the number of chips used per device and extend of load on each chip in an overall modular setup.

Also remember it's meant to have liquid-cooled ASICs...

daggeteo

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 11:19:38 PM

Why u dont ask them?

They will be air cooled. I'll evolve this later on.
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 11:21:09 PM

Why u dont ask them?

Boo! Sad

johnyj
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 11:26:19 PM

Why u dont ask them?

As I remember, the first set of BFL wafers (last December) just went to trash bin because it either over current or over heat, no way to make them work, then the second set wafers (this February) ran at half of the designed frequency and still draw double amount of current than simulation results, so only 2 of those chip can be powered and sit in a box that originally designed for single SC. Now they have rest of the wafer using a different metal layer implementation and further improved the power draw and heat, but still by no means reached their original claim of 1w/Gh, more like 5W/GH

But anyway knc's estimation is 3W/GH, that is quite reasonable for a 28nm chip

ironcross360

Activity: 140

Troll of the Fourth Reich.

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 11:43:54 PM

SO KNC IS REAL??!?!?

Why are you just staring at this? Just send it! 1MHZjADM41ttjbPUiTPYWGYGm45XLf8ZeS
retro72

Activity: 433

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 12:07:18 AM

Why u dont ask them?

Full watercooling: blocks, radiators, reservoirs, pumps, hoses= $2000
Air cooling: fans= $50
Pre-selling an item then changing the specs : Priceless

For everything else there's Mastercard

I hope you used one.

Sorry couldn't resist it Grin
johnyj
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 12:46:55 AM

When I left I saw some 500 Euro notes on the table, seems some one just paid cash directly to Sam  Grin

retro72

Activity: 433

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 12:56:11 AM

When I left I saw some 500 Euro notes on the table, seems some one just paid cash directly to Sam  Grin

Cry
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 »
  Print  

Jump to: