Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:57:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 »
  Print  
Author Topic: KnCMiner Openday Wednesday 5th & Monday 10th June  (Read 91298 times)
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 10:06:02 AM

here are some pics i took.

mars in action. almost no noise, but plenty of heat radiation

power supply

inside mars

examples of other orsoc chip design

asic done by orsoc

mars actually mines

me and my brother spent approx. 2 k € to attend there. (no hookers, no party, just flights and avarage hotel, cheapest room)
if you think what we did was worth a donation feel free: 19ibzUwVHbSuYsBVfL2mLXrXCUSFg9uEp4

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ultrix

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 10:18:09 AM

asic done by orsoc

Interesting, its a structured asic made by eASIC.   I've worked with eASIC before, good for small runs, but no where near as performant as full custom or standard cell asics (in most cases).  I was somewhat leery when they said they were going straight from FPGA to ASIC, however if its a structured asic, there is little risk.  Structured asic design is more akin to fpga design than true asic design in that instead of RAM based LUTs, structured asics use ROM based LUTs.  Instead of routing fabric like in an FPGA, typically the metal layer is permanently etched to its respective design requirements.  This allows structured asics to run at somewhat higher frequencies and with greater logic density than fpga's.
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 10:53:18 AM

Great pics, but looking at the hardware you're now purchasing, I'd contemplate upgrading your name.

I've booked my flight now, which, due to limited availability, was both expensive and err...very, very early to the furthest Stockholm airport. Joy! Cheesy

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
retro72

Activity: 433
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 10:58:58 AM

Was Mars delayed, what caused that delay?
The delay was due to ambition to “under promise - over deliver”
This delay has had no impacted the delivering of Jupiter.

Is it just me or is anyone else worried by this answer?
Sort of shakes your confidence that they couldn't get one FPGA out on time.
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 11:11:01 AM

Would've been very stupid wasting time on mars.

600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 11:12:44 AM

Great pics, but looking at the hardware you're now purchasing, I'd contemplate upgrading your name.

I've booked my flight now, which, due to limited availability, was both expensive and err...very, very early to the furthest Stockholm airport. Joy! Cheesy

I hope it is arlanda. then just take the arlanda express to downtown station. Takes 20 min. Then take Taxi to orsoc. Takes 5 min.
Be sure to grab some krones at the airport. Bring credit Card with pin. The swedes all talk english. Write knc a message they should try to serve refrigerated beverages this time. There is a best western Hotel right around the corner.
Finally: be faster with your feedback than the suckers from last wednesday...
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 11:25:52 AM

I hope it is arlanda. then just take the arlanda express to downtown station. Takes 20 min. Then take Taxi to orsoc. Takes 5 min.
Be sure to grab some krones at the airport. Bring credit Card with pin. The swedes all talk english. Write knc a message they should try to serve refrigerated beverages this time. There is a best western Hotel right around the corner.
Finally: be faster with your feedback than the suckers from last wednesday...

Haha, it's not! Sam's been insistent on recommending Arlanda, but the only way I could make that would be a 6 hour trip with a stop off in Germany, landing at Arlanda 30 mins before the meet begins. I didn't want to be rude and late, or miss the connecting flight in Germany due to delays. He's just replied and said that's fine, but i've already booked now. The only other option, which ended up being the same price, as there was only one seat left, is to Skavsta really, really early; I need to be at the airport at 4.30 am, then apparently a long coach ride, but at least I get time to have lunch beforehand. I'm working all night tonight till 7am, so I hope I'm not a total zombie come Monday afternoon!

As for delayed feedback, I've still to determine how I'm getting back, there's a flight to Heathrow in the eve, which would make it a v.long day, I doubt any feedback I would be giving at that point would be in anyway literate, or legible. Expect blurred, unfocused pics...Tongue

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 11:36:10 AM

mars in action. almost no noise, but plenty of heat radiation

power supply

inside mars

examples of other orsoc chip design

asic done by orsoc

mars actually mines

me and my brother spent approx. 2 k € to attend there. (no hookers, no party, just flights and avarage hotel, cheapest room)
if you think what we did was worth a donation feel free: 19ibzUwVHbSuYsBVfL2mLXrXCUSFg9uEp4

Thank you for your information and hard work
KS

Activity: 448

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 11:49:02 AM

But they talk about Tier 3 datacenters and such.

Not only that, but they talk about Tier 3, 4 AND 5. Only they offer a ridiculously low 95% uptime. (Already you know it's BS when they mention Tier 5).

I hope it was the openday booze talking...

Tier Level   Requirements

Single non-redundant distribution path serving the IT equipment
Non-redundant capacity components
Basic site infrastructure with expected availability of 99.671%

Meets or exceeds all Tier 1 requirements
Redundant site infrastructure capacity components with expected availability of 99.741%

Meets or exceeds all Tier 1 and Tier 2 requirements
Multiple independent distribution paths serving the IT equipment
All IT equipment must be dual-powered and fully compatible with the topology of a site's architecture
Concurrently maintainable site infrastructure with expected availability of 99.982%

Meets or exceeds all Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3 requirements
All cooling equipment is independently dual-powered, including chillers and heating, ventilating and air-conditioning (HVAC) systems
Fault-tolerant site infrastructure with electrical power storage and distribution facilities with expected availability of 99.995%

You forgot "Tier 5" and why only "95%" uptime guarantee.

Call me when you find one. BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS (but hey, don't tell anyone!)

http://www.missioncriticalmagazine.com/articles/85506-the-advent-of-the-tier-5-data-center?v=preview

Paywall.

So, did you find an ACTUAL Tier 5 DC? Point me to it...

And you STILL have not explained why their Tier 5 is ONLY 95% uptime.

To be honest I don't really know, or care what Tier 5 is, it looks theoretical currently.

I also don't know where it appears to be mentioned as a benchmark or a promise within the context of KnC, although I'm guessing it has something to do with hosting.

You started mentioning the tiering so I posted a description from the Wikipedia page. It was informative for me so I shared it. You laboured T5, so i posted a link to the only source discussing it's implication. Whilst blocked by a paywall, the actual link was referenced in a blog discussing it from last month. Just google tier 5 data centre and you'll see it discussed by two bloggers in more depth.

Only thing I remember reading about hosting here included security and layers of access. If you've lost me, you've probably lost others too. Did they promise tier 5?!

"17 What about security (data/facilities)? (Why self host?) no data centers? Disaster recovery plans?

Sam: Regarding security, all of the datacenters that we are speaking to are category 3,4,5 which means dual entry, badge and a pin, or a photo entry, they also have man-traps, which means you can only go through as a single man and can't take a device through their main doors. We are all about level security. 24 hour surveillance. Huge walls, gates etc. The same security as banks, redundant power, cooling etc."

And not called categories but tiers. Anyway.

Don't feel obligated to build a theory/excuse/watchamacallit. You said it yourself, you're not one of their shills. Let them run their collective mouth and trust the community to keep them honest (it's not like I'm the only one not fooled by their arguments, I'm just more vocal about it).

No, that's understandable, and the offer still applies. Please PM me any q's for Monday and then I can copy and paste into one document and get some clarity in person. Unless you want to email them direct.

I won't be trawling through old posts prior though. This thread keeps moving too quick!

To hear more BS answers?

I'm waiting to see how they will execute when they stop running their mouth.

Bitcoinorama

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 11:52:29 AM

Not only that, but they talk about Tier 3, 4 AND 5. Only they offer a ridiculously low 95% uptime. (Already you know it's BS when they mention Tier 5).

Redundant site infrastructure capacity components with expected availability of 99.741%

All IT equipment must be dual-powered and fully compatible with the topology of a site's architecture
Concurrently maintainable site infrastructure with expected availability of 99.982%

All cooling equipment is independently dual-powered, including chillers and heating, ventilating and air-conditioning (HVAC) systems
Fault-tolerant site infrastructure with electrical power storage and distribution facilities with expected availability of 99.995%

Call me when you find one. BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS (but hey, don't tell anyone!)

http://www.missioncriticalmagazine.com/articles/85506-the-advent-of-the-tier-5-data-center?v=preview

Paywall.

To be honest I don't really know, or care what Tier 5 is, it looks theoretical currently.

I also don't know where it appears to be mentioned as a benchmark or a promise within the context of KnC, although I'm guessing it has something to do with hosting.

You started mentioning the tiering so I posted a description from the Wikipedia page. It was informative for me so I shared it. You laboured T5, so i posted a link to the only source discussing it's implication. Whilst blocked by a paywall, the actual link was referenced in a blog discussing it from last month. Just google tier 5 data centre and you'll see it discussed by two bloggers in more depth.

Only thing I remember reading about hosting here included security and layers of access. If you've lost me, you've probably lost others too. Did they promise tier 5?!

"17 What about security (data/facilities)? (Why self host?) no data centers? Disaster recovery plans?

Sam: Regarding security, all of the datacenters that we are speaking to are category 3,4,5 which means dual entry, badge and a pin, or a photo entry, they also have man-traps, which means you can only go through as a single man and can't take a device through their main doors. We are all about level security. 24 hour surveillance. Huge walls, gates etc. The same security as banks, redundant power, cooling etc."

Don't feel obligated to build a theory/excuse/watchamacallit. You said it yourself, you're not one of their shills. Let them run their collective mouth and trust the community to keep them honest (it's not like I'm the only one not fooled by their arguments, I'm just more vocal about it).

No, that's understandable, and the offer still applies. Please PM me any q's for Monday and then I can copy and paste into one document and get some clarity in person. Unless you want to email them direct.

I won't be trawling through old posts prior though. This thread keeps moving too quick!

To hear more BS answers?

Yet you still avoid answering whether you've invested yourself here? A company that appears more secure than the bizarre choice of shipping your bulk Avalon chips you aim to receive through unknown intermediary and then sent to a random Bulgarian guy you've neve met and don't know the name of you displayed interest in assembling upon another users pcb schematics in a thread the other day.

You seem to be very cautious here, and then throw caution to the wind elsewhere in your posts.

Are you investing here or not? Due diligence, concern for others, fine. General abuse for no reason and I'm a lot more suspect of your motivations...

daggeteo

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 11:55:49 AM

Thanks 600Watt for adding info =)

I have some pics of the aircooling the showed us to get an idea of how big the coolers will be. As i understood it this is NOT the actual cooler just that it will be in this kinda size.
Also the started to talk about the actual size of the ASIC itself and it's quite large also the showed a board to symbolize the actual sice of their ASIC, commenting that this is the reason why the cooling is quite massive.
So the board laying on the side of the cooling unit is somewhat the size of the asic. I reserve myself that i might have misunderstood this part. It was just mentioned in relaxed conversation afterwards.

EDIT: Pic are onroute lol had a snag just a few minutes more
So here are the pics

The ruler is in METRIC centimeters (cm)
https://i.imgur.com/AnVQRHe.jpg

Symbol of what the Asic size will be
https://i.imgur.com/bLanQqg.jpg

Cooler and "chip"
https://i.imgur.com/69eNwFv.jpg
KS

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 12:01:16 PM

Paywall.

To hear more BS answers?

Yet you still avoid answering whether you've invested yourself here? A company that appears more secure than the bizarre choice of shipping your bulk Avalon chips you aim to receive through unknown intermediary and then sent to a random Bulgarian guy you've neve met and don't know the name of you displayed interest in assembling upon another users pcb schematics in a thread the other day.

You seem to be very cautious here, and then throw caution to the wind elsewhere in your posts.

Are you investing here or not? Due diligence, concern for others, fine. General abuse for no reason and I'm a lot more suspect of your motivations...

So I'm out to destroy KNCMINER? Is that your worry?

lol
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 12:03:56 PM

Paywall.

To hear more BS answers?

lol

No, they can make or break themselves now, but I think you're a massive hypocrite considering the concerns you raise here (some actually justified), then the recklessness you actively appear to take elsewhere. It doesn't add up to be honest.

Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

/dev/null

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 12:07:45 PM

@Bitcoinorama/KS: could you please be so kind and stop flooding this threat with this useless shit? you should continue on other communication channel, but please don't bother us with this here.
KS

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 12:10:09 PM

Paywall.

To hear more BS answers?

lol

No, they can make or destroy themselves now, butI think you're a massive hypocrite considering the concerns you raise here (some actually justified), then the recklessness you actively appear to take elsewhere. It doesn't add up to be honest.

That's because your information is erroneous and you're trying too hard to find a negative slant. Wink
KS

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 12:15:14 PM

Thanks 600Watt for adding info =)

I have some pics of the aircooling the showed us to get an idea of how big the coolers will be. As i understood it this is NOT the actual cooler just that it will be in this kinda size.
Also the started to talk about the actual size of the ASIC itself and it's quite large also the showed a board to symbolize the actual sice of their ASIC, commenting that this is the reason why the cooling is quite massive.
So the board laying on the side of the cooling unit is somewhat the size of the asic. I reserve myself that i might have misunderstood this part. It was just mentioned in relaxed conversation afterwards.

EDIT: Pic are onroute lol had a snag just a few minutes more
So here are the pics

The ruler is in METRIC centimeters (cm)

Symbol of what the Asic size will be

Cooler and "chip"

You're kidding on the size of the ASIC right? Make a 28nM ASIC and create a package that's 75mm/3 inches on one side !? That's not really a good way to improve yields. Cross your fingers they will be high enough.
daggeteo

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 12:20:14 PM

@Bitcoinorama/KS: could you please be so kind and stop flooding this threat with this useless shit? you should continue on other communication channel, but please don't bother us with this here.

It would be good if the quoting was cut down a bit. My scroll-finger is starting to complain Smiley
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 12:22:54 PM

What the hell does a cpu cooler prove? I can buy hundreds from newegg.

daggeteo

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 12:25:43 PM

Not kidding but maybe i missunderstood, this was only to symbolize the sizes and they just grabed the closest thing around so there are multiple instances for error so keep that in mind but the cooler will be massive.

I myself have no hardware ASIC experience so my understanding of this is strictly limited.
daggeteo

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 12:27:55 PM

What the hell does a cpu cooler prove? I can buy hundreds from newegg.

It proves NOTHING i snapped some pics FFS that's all. You have my deepest apology!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 »
  Print  

Jump to: