Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:59:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [1423GH] ABCPool PPS - Proxy Pool For High & Steady Mining Rewards  (Read 151522 times)
pirateat40
Avast Ye!

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

"Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late."

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2012, 11:03:48 PM

The last few coins was just sent to the last wallet we were using 16cuDsELndYgk9Vvzcjuuhd9T7XrxuGwLU

Thank you for using my 105% PPS service.      

When you are ready to send that 200G that we talked about let me know. I have your personal sever ready as we talked about.

(pirate, did you still want to see the evidence that we have now that they admitted to it?)

Thx

Nah, I'm good.. On with the show. Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MintCondition (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1147
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 11:04:49 PM
Last edit: January 27, 2012, 11:20:20 PM by MintCondition

NEWS: Behind a firewall? Port 80 mining is now supported at ABCPool!

2012-01-27 Some people are behind firewalls that only allow traffic on a limited range of ports. Usually the allowed range includes at least port 80. These people had limited choices in getting their rig hooked up to do some hashing. But as of today, you can connect your miner to ABCPool through port 80! Take a peek at the 'Get Started' page to get the full settings for your miner: http://www.ABCPool.co/gettingstarted.php

Forum member Vbs requested this feature, and he also indicated that we would be the first PPS pool to support port 80 mining if we implemented it. So don't bother looking anywhere else for this right now Wink EDIT: It seems we were not the first PPS pool supporting it after all.

Happy hashing!
MC & Chlorine

pirateat40
Avast Ye!

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

"Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late."

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2012, 11:06:30 PM

Forum member Vbs requested this feature, and he also indicated that we would be the first PPS pool to support port 80 mining if we implemented it. So don't bother looking anywhere else for this right now Wink

Lots of pools do now Sad

MintCondition (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 11:07:55 PM

Forum member Vbs requested this feature, and he also indicated that we would be the first PPS pool to support port 80 mining if we implemented it. So don't bother looking anywhere else for this right now Wink

Lots of pools do now Sad
He meant among PPS pools specifically. He did indicate some non-PPS pools support it. I haven't verified his claims.

MintCondition (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 11:19:10 PM

Lots of pools do now Sad
He meant among PPS pools specifically. He did indicate some non-PPS pools support it, I haven't verified these claims.

Actually he is wrong the bitparking merged mining pool has the port 80 for mining already it is PPS.
Their forum activity shows you are correct SAC. Nevertheless, now ABCPool supports it too Smiley

btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2012, 11:24:30 PM

Watching.

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
MintCondition (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 11:28:36 PM
Last edit: January 27, 2012, 11:43:06 PM by MintCondition

Hello all,

A post on a different subject this time: We promised you a post-mortem on the outage last week. So here it is!

Last week there was a DDoS attack that lasted for more than a day (jan-17 18:00 - jan-18 23:00 UTC). This post is to explain what happened, the way we handled it, and what the future looks like.

Without any prior experience in handling this kind of attack, we were essentially powerless to do anything about it at first. That did not stop us from trying, but the pool only resurfaced on the internet when the attack eventually ceased.

Now that we've got some experience and have done our research we can say we know a bit more about such attacks. That knowledge is not entirely comforting. As it turns out, there's things that can be done, but at a certain point an attack will just knock out your service completely.

There have been a number of insightful comments, especially from Brian and Eleuthria, that helped us and our users in understanding the situation and being realistic about possible solutions while we were busy trying to solve it. Thanks for chiming in everyone!
Not even deepbit will stop a DDoS and they are a much bigger pool with a ton more money pouring in (%3 fee, 3500 ghps, ≈$15,000 per month). How about BTC Guild or Slush? They choke within minutes of an attack and will stay down at the discretion of the attacker. It's not realistic to demand expensive protection from pool operators for these attacks. BTC guild was literally blackmailed to keep a botnet on their server. When eleuthria finally banned him the pool was taken down within hours and didn't come back for days.
No pool can offer DDoS protection, not even Deepbit.  The best they can do is throw up spare servers and hope the DDoS doesn't follow them.
[...] To expect a pool to have DDoS mitigation that can stop the botnet that hit BTC Guild, Deepbit, and Slush in the past, is insane.  There is no way a bitcoin pool can afford that level of service.

I don't know if its the same one hitting ABCPool, or if its a smaller fraction, but if its the same one, no host on the planet is going to be able to keep a bitcoin pool online during it.  Bitcoin mining itself is VERY DDOS-like.  You'd end up catching the majority of legit traffic as false positives.  At best you might keep the website portion online to let people know that the pool is down.
couldn't you just whitelist all the "known" (or at least, say, the "big" known) IP addresses, and block everything else?
That would only work if you're at an ISP that will allow you to add a whitelist at their perimeter.  If the DDoSer has enough zombies, they will still take you offline because they can flood the switches in front of your server before a whitelist takes effect.

The largest attacks back in July were over 10 gigabits of traffic.  There are very few datacenters that can absorb that when its all headed towards a single internal IP, and even fewer datacenters that will actually allow that kind of traffic to come in without just blackholing you temporarily.

What we were seeing were traffic levels at least hundreds of times the amount we normally handle and from a large amount of different addresses. What happens in such a case is that the internet connection becomes completely saturated, causing random traffic to be dropped before it even reaches our servers. with no full request ever making it in, the server load is paradoxically zero.

Whitelisting known good addresses using the server firewall is useless, because the traffic never even arrives at the server: It's pushed out of the way by all the unwanted traffic. So you'd have to find a place further away from the server where the pipes are still thick, and do the filtering there.

Amazon provides a few limited ways to do filtering, and there are several badly documented practical obstacles you run into when using their methods to combat heavy traffic.

So what have we changed to combat possible future attacks? We don't want to give future attackers too much ammunition, but some of the improvements are:
* Load balancers for all traffic.
* 'Other' Changes in network setup.
* Reporting and blocking of inefficient workers.
* Longpoller prioritization based on efficiency (this will also help prevent stales during normal operation!)

NB: in this context, efficiency is defined as the ratio of shares received per work unit handed out.

An interesting thing to note is that blocking will only go into effect whenever the load becomes extreme.

With these features deployed we hope we will be better prepared the next time an attack happens, although we won't know for sure until then..

In the meantime, enjoy the renewed stability of ABCPool Smiley
happy hashing everyone!
MC

Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2012, 12:21:40 AM

As a side note, EMC has supported port 80 mining since August or so I believe.  Not PPS, but meh.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
bittenbob

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 11:45:11 PM

I am not comfortable with the fact that mining power is being used to pool hop. I thought I was mining for ABCPool and not whatever pool they were hopping to. I think calling yourself a separate pool at this point is misleading. It should say somewhere on your site that you are not mining your own blocks.

Combine this with me not supporting BIP16/17 until further testing and it looks like I will be going back to deepbit. I hate that it is so big but at least they mine their own blocks.
Brian DeLoach
VIP

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 11:56:16 PM

Combine this with me not supporting BIP16/17 until further testing and it looks like I will be going back to deepbit.

Tycho is taking the exact same approach. With your constant complaints (which are inaccurate) you hurl at ABC pool, I'm surprised you haven't left long ago.
bittenbob

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 12:03:01 AM

Combine this with me not supporting BIP16/17 until further testing and it looks like I will be going back to deepbit.

Tycho is taking the exact same approach. With your constant complaints (which are inaccurate) you hurl at ABC pool, I'm surprised you haven't left long ago.

My complaints prior were about reliability which was 100% accurate. I am just reading about them not mining their own blocks today. It was confirmed by goat. I have been teetering on the edge of leaving ABCPool for some time but this is the final straw for me.

Can someone explain to me how someone becomes VIP with 100 posts?
bittenbob

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 12:03:45 AM

This thread went all weird from just a couple of hours ago. A bunch of dates were changed it seems and some posts removed. Very weird but I am not comfortable with the fact that mining power is being used to pool hop. I thought I was mining for ABCPool and not whatever pool they were hopping too.

I have no opinion on the rest but I remove my posts every Sunday so that would be what you seen there.

That explains why the posts that were on a given page changed. I thought it was strange.
bittenbob

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 12:18:23 AM

My complaints prior were about reliability which was 100% accurate. I am just reading about them not mining their own blocks today. It was confirmed by goat. I have been teetering on the edge of leaving ABCPool for some time but this is the final straw for me.

I think VIP costs you 50 BTC. Double check that before you quote me:/

I was looking back where you said you purchased mining power off abcpool. This means they are not mining their own blocks. Maybe you read it wrong but I didnt say anything about you and VIP. Looks like I read your most recent post wrong.
Brian DeLoach
VIP

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 01:05:50 AM

You complained that ABC pool couldn't defend against a DDoS, which no centralized pool in existence today is able to do.

Is post count significant to you?
bittenbob

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 01:15:16 AM

Tycho is taking the exact same approach.

No, we are not selling any hashing power.
Hashes of all our mined blocks are published on the stats page and can be analyzed by anyone to check this.

Care to retract your statement? This is why post count is important. If you were talking BS people will have called you out for it.

Deepbit is also more resilient to DDOS then ABCPool. There are a number of different servers to connect to, not just one. So if one is under DDOS then you can still connect to another.
Brian DeLoach
VIP

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 01:47:12 AM

No, you're taking the quote out of context by removing important details (such as relevant quotes). Though, admittingly, I misread your statement about BIP 16/17 support. Regardless, I agree with inaba. There isn't anything inherently wrong with redirecting the hashing power somewhere else from time to time. They never lied about it or explicitly stated they were mining the blocks themselves, nor have they admitted to pool hopping (the practice of mining for a pool at the start of a new block, in case you didn't know).

This is why post count is important.

Honestly, how old are you?
bittenbob

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 01:54:03 AM

Probably older than you but that is irrelevant. My point is thread count can show whether or not you have been vetted by the community.

Many months ago I created a thread, proposing considerable bounty of 50 BTC (~$1300 at the time of posting) for a new site tracking blockchain forks and double-spend attempts: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7622.0

Recently this bounty was finally taken and now we can easily notice any performed attempts of evil forking, including 51% attacks: http://blockchain.info/orphaned-blocks

Double-spend tracking: http://blockchain.info/double-spends

Look at the double spends currently being attempted. What if the sold hashing power is going to the people attempting double spends? This is why there is an inherent problem with selling hashing power from a site that claims to be its own pool. It may not have been stated anywhere they were or were not mining their own blocks but it is implied.
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 03:11:21 AM

Probably older than you but that is irrelevant. My point is thread count can show whether or not you have been vetted by the community.

Many months ago I created a thread, proposing considerable bounty of 50 BTC (~$1300 at the time of posting) for a new site tracking blockchain forks and double-spend attempts: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7622.0

Recently this bounty was finally taken and now we can easily notice any performed attempts of evil forking, including 51% attacks: http://blockchain.info/orphaned-blocks

Look at the double spends currently being attempted. What if the sold hashing power is going to the people attempting double spends? This is why there is an inherent problem with selling hashing power from a site that claims to be its own pool. It may not have been stated anywhere they were or were not mining their own blocks but it is implied.

All the hashing power adds up, ABCpool would need to rent power from deepbit+btcguild+slush to attempt a doublespend.

You really think the conspiracy is that deep? Smiley

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
bittenbob

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 03:13:53 AM

All the hashing power adds up, ABCpool would need to rent power from deepbit+btcguild+slush to attempt a doublespend.

I am not saying ABCPool is the one attempting the double spend. It is the one who is ultimately paying for all the hashing power from ABC (Not Goat but maybe his client).
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4452
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 03:15:28 AM

Or ... you could attempt many double spends with way less than half the network hash power and one of those many attempts might succeed.

... Hmm lots of double spend attacks happening according to that link ....

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 »
  Print  

Jump to: