Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 12:58:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1937 1938 1939 1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 [1987] 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 2024 2025 2026 2027 2028 2029 2030 2031 2032 2033 2034 2035 2036 2037 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761521 times)
bitcoinpaul

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 08:35:17 AM

It's an interesting idea.

I think we should all remember BCNext's vision for NXT and his thoughts regarding fees.  I agree with BCNext wanting NXT fees to be low.  Imo, 1000 NXT for asset name registration is too high.  I think you should be able to register an asset name for 1 NXT.  By setting NXT fees high, we are excluding people from NXT because they cannot afford the registration price.  NXT should be for everyone.

We should first talk about WHAT we want to accomplish and WHY. I don't want to hear "uh, it's interesting", "yeah, nice idea" or "BCNext said fee must be low".

I want your real motivation behind this first. After we discussed that, we could talk about possible realization.

edit: Exluding people from NXT is a very lax assumption.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wesleyh

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 08:37:04 AM

I think we should all remember BCNext's vision for NXT and his thoughts regarding fees.  I agree with BCNext wanting NXT fees to be low.  Imo, 1000 NXT for asset name registration is too high.  I think you should be able to register an asset name for 1 NXT.  By setting NXT fees high, we are excluding people from NXT because they cannot afford the registration price.  NXT should be for everyone.

We should first talk about WHAT we want to accomplish and WHY. I don't want to hear "uh, it's interesting", "yeah, nice idea" or "BCNext said fee must be low".

I want your motivation behind this first. After we discussed that, we could talk about possible realization.

If you cannot pay 1000 NXT for an asset, then what is your asset going to do anyway?
2Kool4Skewl (OP)

Activity: 644

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 08:37:12 AM

I want your motivation behind this first. After we discussed that, we could talk about possible realization.

By setting NXT fees high, we are excluding people from NXT because they cannot afford the registration price.  NXT should be for everyone.

This was BCNext's reason for wanting low fees and I agree with him.

▄████████▄
                  ▄████████████████▄
             ▄██████████████████████████▄
      ▄███████████████████████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
  █████████████████████████████████████████████████
   ███████████████████████████████████████████████
    █████████████████████████████████████████████
     ███████████████████████████████████████████
      █████████████████████████████████████████
       ███████████████████████████████████████
        █████████████████████████████████████
         ███████████████████████████████████
          █████████████████████████████████
           ▀█████████████████████████████▀
             ▀█████████████████████████▀
               ▀█████████████████████▀
                 ▀█████████████████▀
                   ▀█████████████▀
                      ▀███████▀
TRUSTEE 
Emule

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 08:38:19 AM

In the latest LetsTalkBitcoin podcast (88), NXT gets a small mention..

http://letstalkbitcoin.com/e88-gox-gox-gox-gox-gox-gox-gox/#.UxOzX-NdXkk
(Ethereum Evangelist Joel Dietz, about 36 mins in)

They aren't going to know what hit 'em  Grin

These people seem to be not really aware of Nxt... I guess  Cheesy

I would be scared as an Ethereum guy^^

nobody is aware of nxt thanks to epic failing marketing

they burn nxt with zero result and wrong approach but nobody dare to tell

marketing priority must be get fresh money in to nxt but money is flowing out of nxt due constant selling.

What do you suggest then?

whales need to stop selling below 1$

simple: draw the money into nxt! nxt need BUY VOLUME!

you dont get that by shaking hands on conferences exchaging printed businesscards.

marketing must shift and focus on investors, not in the public that already know nxt as they do now.

GO GET THE MONEY
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 08:39:42 AM

By setting NXT fees high, we are excluding people from NXT because they cannot afford the registration price.  NXT should be for everyone.

1000 NXT is just a countermeasure to prevent squatting of best names in the very 1st day after AE is launched. Later we can set the fee to 1 NXT.
longzai1988

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 08:40:11 AM

I am hearing bitcoin is going to reduce its transaction fees to 10 folds, that is not even 1cents, if that happen, 1Nxt as transactions fees is definitely too high

sweet & happy cryptocurrency , cheers Smiley
NXT : NXT-HSBE-8PWL-CUCD-BHUD6
BTCD : RTaMoRXsA7uCv869dX1TfCZmHw4ExbMVmQ
2Kool4Skewl (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 08:40:30 AM

If you cannot pay 1000 NXT for an asset, then what is your asset going to do anyway?

Assets don't have to be physically backed.  They can be a form of social credit.  Communities that use social credit systems usually do so because they lack capital.

▄████████▄
                  ▄████████████████▄
               ▀█████████████████████▀
                 ▀█████████████████▀
                   ▀█████████████▀
                      ▀███████▀
TRUSTEE 
pandaisftw

Activity: 224

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 08:40:34 AM

I think you can ensure that per gateway there is only one AE asset type for a RL Asset e.g. USD, I think this will avoid confusion, if you have a legit USD and a scammer can create US or USd or some variant people will get scammed.

We cannot force other people not to build a gateway on their own. We can build a nice community-drive gateway which could become very big and everyone uses it. But that's about it.

and be clear on the AE which gateway and asset is being traded through.

Absolutely.

Just a stupid question:
How to distinguish different issued assets with same asset name by different issuers on AE ?

I think that that is what the gateway does. It makes external assets appear as they are from the same set of assets, created at the same time, by the same account, no matter when or who creates them. A doge that comes through the gateway today will be seen the same as a doge that comes through tomorrow or a week or year from now. I don't know by what coding magic this is done but that is how James explained it to me in laymen terms.
There can only be one asset named "DOGE" so different gateways would have "myDOGE" or "otherDOGE", etc.

This is the confusion I am worried about. There is no guarantee that the community will get the asset named "DOGE", it will go to the highest bidder the block AE goes live. I am hopeful that in community spirit the ones that obtain the pure names like "DOGE", "BTC", etc would sell all the assets to the community after issuing the full billion. In ripple, anybody can issue any asset, so it becomes a very dangerous thing for the unaware. With NXT, there can be only one, but there is no guarantee the community will get the pure names...

I am thinking of offering a bounty starting at 5000 NXT for the popular crypto names, with a sliding scale from BTC down to unpopularcoin. Hopefully, a quick 4000 NXT profit and community spirit will allow the community gateways to have the pure names.

My plan B) on this is to just add a random string to all the pure names and get the one that is available across the board. It would then look a bit funny with "djwBTC" "djwLTC" and "djwDOGE" being the community crypto assets, but this way we wont be held hostage by somebody that wants 1 million NXT for the BTC asset. It shouldnt be much work for the clients to special case the "djw" prefix, and it might actually help to have a common prefix so we can have a crypto assets page

James

I remember talking to you about this to you a long time ago, but it would probably be best if you used a random, unpredictable, identifier string per asset. So this means client's like wesleyh's have to actually communicate with your servers to see which assets are valid. Then they can be sure they are buying the actual asset from your gateway. If you want, I may have an idea on how to guarantee that asset seller is really who he says he is.

If your plan is to eventually add all cryptos (even ones that havent came out yet), you will never be able to get all the "pure" asset names (or if it's non-random, someone will squat it). There will always be that one jerk who will refuse to sell to you unless you offer an exorbitant price. Let's avoid this situation.

NXT: 13095091276527367030
2Kool4Skewl (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 08:41:45 AM

1000 NXT is just a countermeasure to prevent squatting of best names in the very 1st day after AE is launched. Later we can set the fee to 1 NXT.

Ok.  I see.  That's a good plan.

▄████████▄
                  ▄████████████████▄
               ▀█████████████████████▀
                 ▀█████████████████▀
                   ▀█████████████▀
                      ▀███████▀
TRUSTEE 
bitcoinpaul

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 08:41:49 AM

We don't exclude people from Nxt if there is a (high) fee on assets.

We exclude not-so-rich people from issuing their assets on Nxt. And we exclude people who have to great motivation behind issuing an asset.
bitcoinpaul

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 08:43:15 AM

Communities that use social credit systems usually do so because they lack capital.

That's right.

But I want a broader discussion of motivation and implications before we just say "come on, let's make it free".

edit:

Possible motivations:

- spam prevention
- Name squatting
- scamming possibilities by issuing nearlyidentical assets (like "BTC.")
- low entry barrier for raising money (e.g. social credit system)
- overwhelming confusing supply of different assets

what else?
ChuckOne

Activity: 364

☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 08:50:24 AM

Alright. Hmm, so, we have no empirical data so far.

Indeed - and there was no empirical data presented to "justify" the penalty (or whatever we call it - the *name* of it is not an issue to me - so call it "a rose" but I still think it is a kludge and I am not convinced it will help with the security of the network).

By "fragmenting" the forks all over the place it will actually reduce the effectiveness of such attacks.

Why is that? Malicious nodes could spread forks all over the place and generate blocks very easily on top (because it's PoS not PoW) at the same time to suppress branches from other nodes.

The issue I am referring to is perhaps best illustrated like this:

A1 - B
A2 - B
A1 - C
A2 - D

So assuming that A1 and A2 have the "same weight" then B here is trying to keep both A1 and A2 branches going whilst C and D have each only built on the 1 branch.

Now here is a possible next step:

A1 - B
A2 - B - E
A1 - C
A2 - D - F

Here E and F have separately chosen A2 - B and A2 - D as being "their first choice" and only built upon those (being non-malicious nodes).

So now B's attempt to continue the A1 branch has failed (that fork will likely die now) simply because E did not try to forge 2 blocks at the same height.

Now if we were instead to use the "penalty" approach then in fact we would instead have this result:

A1 - B - E
A2 - B - E
A1 - C - F
A2 - D - F

As both E and F know they are going to get penalised by one or other branch they will forge on both branches causing the branching to continue.

I hope this helps clarify what I am seeing and why I think the idea of "only forging the 1 block at the one height" is a better approach (sure people can "cheat" but as shown provided those cheating are in the minority the effect is greatly reduced).

Maybe, I am still tired. But I do not get the semantics of your syntax.

I seems to me like you mixing accounts, blocks and nodes. Could you clarify that for me?
ChuckOne

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 08:55:35 AM

What would differentiate a "Class A" asset from a "Class B" asset?

The amount of fee that needed to be paid to register for a start and then also perhaps we could limit Class B Asset to not being able to have as many units/shares.

Interesting idea.

But I am not quite sure the amount of shares qualifies a different price tag.
ChuckOne

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 08:59:03 AM

If you have a small business, you maybe cannot afford so much NXT in the future.

I agree, we need to adjust the amount of NXT spend to real world prices. But we should not rush.
2Kool4Skewl (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 09:00:07 AM

Communities that use social credit systems usually do so because they lack capital.

That's right.

But I want a broader discussion of motivation and implications before we just say "come on, let's make it free".

The higher we make the registration fee, the lower the amount of assets that will be registered on Nxt's AE.  Keeping the asset registration fee high doesn't benefit anyone.  It doesn't benefit those who would like to register an asset and it also doesn't benefit the forgers.  The forgers might make more NXT per asset registered, but there will be fewer assets registered if the fee is high.  Leaving the asset registration fee at 1000 NXT, like Come-from-Beyond mentioned, is a good idea to prevent squatting.

It's my thought that alias registration, asset registration and tx fees should all be low, 0.1 NXT or less.

▄████████▄
                  ▄████████████████▄
               ▀█████████████████████▀
                 ▀█████████████████▀
                   ▀█████████████▀
                      ▀███████▀
TRUSTEE 
ChuckOne

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:07:21 AM

marketing priority must be get fresh money in to nxt but money is flowing out of nxt due constant selling.

you dont get that by shaking hands on conferences exchaging printed businesscards.

marketing must shift and focus on investors, not in the public that already know nxt as they do now.

GO GET THE MONEY

Well, I agree. Fiat volume is one key success factor of NXT.

What target audience do you think would be interested in NXT?

I think banks are not interested as NXT is the holy thread to their current, very profitable system.
farl4web
Legendary

Activity: 1205

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:12:08 AM

So could some stakeholders put the biggest chunk of bounty in history of mankind out there for atomic cross chain transaction on nxt please? During this time (this will take a while?!) we should have the best community driven gateway possible, which james is currently building.
OK.
3M NXT (up to 5M for additional features) for atomic cross chain transactions.
Conditions:
a) working client for average user;
b) official approve of all three NXT Funding Committees;
c) fully working asset exchange;
d) working transparent forging in the part marked bold:
NB: The only penalty is inability to mine blocks within some period of time. They still can decide not to bother with mining, but their "hashing" power will be distributed to those who do protect the network.
Last two conditions are my conditions to stop holding investment in 50M NXT.
Good job man! Good to see that the stakeholders are awake and willing to invest in Nxt! Maybe you can help with Peerexplorer.com too? Putting as much nodes as possible to strengten the Nxt network.  Smiley
Emule

Activity: 168

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:13:47 AM

GO GET THE MONEY

Well, I agree. Fiat volume is one key success factor of NXT.

What target audience do you think would be interested in NXT?

I think banks are not interested as NXT is the holy thread to their current, very profitable system.

there is some guy getting 40k a month here to figure that out!

i dont consult for free
fmiboy

Activity: 189

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:14:30 AM

Good news everyone.
Video already done, you can download it from this topic:
https://nextcoin.org/index.php/topic,3981.msg37555.html#msg37555
great work guys, video looks awesome!
michey1980

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:16:51 AM

ow,my god ,look ,what was i lost .give me a chance and let me join the NMAC share ,please!!very  thanks,i just want the NMAC shares for  300000 ,thanks !my nxt coin was ready to fee.ok?
Pages: « 1 ... 1937 1938 1939 1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 [1987] 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 2024 2025 2026 2027 2028 2029 2030 2031 2032 2033 2034 2035 2036 2037 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: