Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 05:04:32 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 ... 156 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][GRA] Graincoin - New PoW/PoS coin | Fast, secure | Version 1.5 Released!  (Read 176978 times)
JL0z

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 08:36:57 AM

I went over the last 100 block in the block chain explorer, most of them are PoS blocks, and the PoW blocks are all the pool's,
So there's no big farm because it would show a lot of PoW blocks that don't belong to any of the pools...

It's just the issue with the targeting system, that PoS block affect the difficulty of PoW blocks...
In the mean time - pools are dropping, if the net hash was 60-70 M/h now both the pools combined are 45 M/h and i see no reason to solo mine when block time is ~5 mins now instead of 30 secs

Thanks!  The last sentence, are you saying we should or shouldn't solo mine?

I just thought about it some more, PoS blocks and nethash that comes from PoS only affect the difficulty (and block time in turn), but the distribution of block between miners should stay the same IMO, so i guess solo mining is still a valid option, it will just take longer because of the ~5 mins block time, but the pools have the same issue so either option is valid

hope it would be fixed or looked into soon, i stopped solo mining for now because of the long block time :/

After I replied, I did try solo mining.  The problem was the cgminer reported a high difficulty.  The share required was 401K (at the time) which would take me a couple of hours unless I was very lucky.  Then the PoS blocks were coming through every 32 or 31 seconds like clockwork - each time cgminer would then work on the new block, so in reality the block time is 30 seconds or so, but the difficulty is too high for solo mining - at least for me with only up to 2Mh.
Nullu

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 09:01:22 AM

Is this temporary, then? from what I understand, it switches from PoW->PoS, PoS->PoW, doesn't it?

So once the PoS phase is over, we'll be back in PoW phase?

Maybe bosian can explain better how the difficulty will shift now.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
Blackmet

Activity: 854

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 09:02:38 AM

I went over the last 100 block in the block chain explorer, most of them are PoS blocks, and the PoW blocks are all the pool's,
So there's no big farm because it would show a lot of PoW blocks that don't belong to any of the pools...

It's just the issue with the targeting system, that PoS block affect the difficulty of PoW blocks...
In the mean time - pools are dropping, if the net hash was 60-70 M/h now both the pools combined are 45 M/h and i see no reason to solo mine when block time is ~5 mins now instead of 30 secs

I just thought about it some more, PoS blocks and nethash that comes from PoS only affect the difficulty (and block time in turn), but the distribution of block between miners should stay the same IMO, so i guess solo mining is still a valid option, it will just take longer because of the ~5 mins block time, but the pools have the same issue so either option is valid

hope it would be fixed or looked into soon, i stopped solo mining for now because of the long block time :/

No, the distribution is not the same in any way. Just because there are more people with only a wallet open, and not mining and not maintaining network hashrate actually. Yet the coins from PoS blocks go to them, and that is not fair to common miners, who spend electricity and GPU hashrate on maintaining the network.

tekkx2k13

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 09:35:43 AM

No, the distribution is not the same in any way. Just because there are more people with only a wallet open, and not mining and not maintaining network hashrate actually. Yet the coins from PoS blocks go to them, and that is not fair to common miners, who spend electricity and GPU hashrate on maintaining the network.

would not say its kind of unfair, the PoW reward is 1024-2048GRA per block(plus the super blocks), the PoS reward is a lot lower. And if all your coins consumed the coinage they have to build it up again, before you can generate new PoS blocks.
Yes the blocktime is now longer, but more people are securing the network because they generate PoS blocks also.

bosian maybe should have a look again at the code to do an adjustment, if necessary.
swartzfeger

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 09:49:02 AM

Is there an OS X client?
tekkx2k13

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 10:28:28 AM

Is there an OS X client?

we're looking for someone to compile it, have no access to OS X, otherwise would provide one
Nullu

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 10:57:23 AM

Thanks!  The last sentence, are you saying we should or shouldn't solo mine?

Actually, it kind of makes sense. People are valuing the PoS more than the PoW right now, which is also affecting the price of grain. Once the coin gains more attention it will gain more hashpower, and more miners. It's only just hit the exchanges. We shouldn't jump the gun and assume this is a problem that needs to be fixed. The coin is being mined and the price is going up. Right now Grain is in a very healthy position. Now is not the time to change things.

I've seen this all too often in other threads. When a coin behaves in a different way to other altcoins people worry that there's a problem. There aren't many POS+POW hybrids on the exchanges right now. We can't compare to grain to other coins.

damnation

Activity: 98

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=434996.0

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 12:03:15 PM

sorry but could someone tell me how POS is generated... i understand POW is mined with CGMINER.... but what on earth does mine POS mean? As far as i knew.. Pos comes about every 2 weeks... as long as u dont move your coins... beyond that its not really mining is it..

♔ PrimeDice : The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
Noble:9ZQo8HaeCjporC7T4PFgVcqzXc5KLyGrnV
LOT: LzUoeyakB8DRoHgqMgHSWMzipW5Nr63zkg
BTC: 1EiY4FqGbbfL6VUhiVLe8Z5R7BVVyyLTmw
LTC: LaGJ2utSYG4bhQ882mJ8QkS1bq45p25vcD
tekkx2k13

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 12:15:47 PM

sorry but could someone tell me how POS is generated... i understand POW is mined with CGMINER.... but what on earth does mine POS mean? As far as i knew.. Pos comes about every 2 weeks... as long as u dont move your coins... beyond that its not really mining is it..

PoS blocks are generated by a thread from the wallet. to mint pos blocks the coinage (how long your coins stayed in the wallet) is used. if you find a block, then coinage is consumed (set to zero by sending the coins to yourself) and the coins go back to your balance with a 5% interest on top. The Algorithm used is much easier then the one for generating PoW blocks, so it can be done by your cpu, saving a lot of energy.

So to generate POS you need an open wallet, encrypted for pos minting, and coins in the wallet which have enough coinage to solve the Algorithm quick enough.
troy112

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 02:15:20 PM

voted on cryptsy.. great coin..
renodaret

Activity: 350

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 02:33:32 PM

i am trying to install a p2pool for grain on ubuntu

i am following a litecoin guide and trying to make it so it does grain instead

i need to install the grain wallet

the litecoin command is
git clone git://github.com/litecoin-project/litecoin.git

what is the git for grain??
DAoneNonlyG

Activity: 453

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 02:34:34 PM

i am trying to install a p2pool for grain on ubuntu

i am following a litecoin guide and trying to make it so it does grain instead

i need to install the grain wallet

the litecoin command is
git clone git://github.com/litecoin-project/litecoin.git

what is the git for grain??

https://github.com/grain-crypto/grain
OneEyedJack

Activity: 112

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 03:43:48 PM

I love this coin. I'm not able to solo mine anymore, but no big deal. I still get 1k grain a day from pool mining Smiley

All donations are given to the Universal DBDB Organization
EAC: egokwQAmnNvumsQfMokeV2qKRgJdARY4D4
GRA: 9ECPZJBtbMHyfGikdUzQuf9Z8t6gGbWh5s
Nullu

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 03:48:29 PM

PoS blocks are generated by a thread from the wallet. to mint pos blocks the coinage (how long your coins stayed in the wallet) is used. if you find a block, then coinage is consumed (set to zero by sending the coins to yourself) and the coins go back to your balance with a 5% interest on top. The Algorithm used is much easier then the one for generating PoW blocks, so it can be done by your cpu, saving a lot of energy.

So to generate POS you need an open wallet, encrypted for pos minting, and coins in the wallet which have enough coinage to solve the Algorithm quick enough.

I think I've misunderstood how this works. How do I encrypt for pos minting? What do I need to do with my coins in my wallet to be able to receive to PoS coins? The first post doesn't explain this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof-of-stake

Do I just need to send the coins to an address in my own wallet? How often do I do this? Do the coins build up stake? I really don't quite follow.

mkimid

Activity: 336

Have A Nice Day

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 03:50:16 PM

...Anyone have any idea what the break even price for mining GRA would be at present difficulty?

Break even in terms of what? Cost of electricity? Cost of hardware? To make it the same as the current top coins?

1 mh/s will give you around 2,000 GRA or 0.0004 BTC per day at the current difficulty.

The top 3 coins average at 0.00806 BTC per day, 20x more than GRA.

To meet that price, GRA would have to be selling for 0.00004030 BTC or 4,030 satoshi.

It's currently around 20 satoshi with very little volume, and GRA doesn't have any use yet so it doesn't have the demand of those top coins.

This is why I doubt it's a big farm. It would be far more profitable to pick any other coin to mine right now.

I agree with BTC121.

The suitable(?) profitability for the altcoin(the other PoW/PoS coins) is around $10/mhs per day,

Anyway, the cost of this coin in CoinedUp is way to low to get the reasonable profit now,
But, the cost/volume is going up slowly,
I hope it will catch up the other coins soon.

Have a nice day
DAoneNonlyG

Activity: 453

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 03:50:45 PM

I think I've misunderstood how this works. How do I encrypt for pos minting? What do I need to do with my coins in my wallet to be able to receive to PoS coins? The first post doesn't explain this.

Just keep them in your wallet and keep it online...
Nullu

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 03:51:29 PM

So I don't need to send them to myself? I've got my wallet online with my grain in. How long should it take?

bee7

Activity: 574
Merit: 523

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 04:03:22 PM

So I don't need to send them to myself? I've got my wallet online with my grain in. How long should it take?

It depends on the number of inputs you have, their amount and age. The average 5% yearly income. The wallet should be unlocked if it is encrypted (at debug console enter the command 'walletpassphrase <password> <amount_of_seconds_the_wallet_will_stay_unlocked>"
OneEyedJack

Activity: 112

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 04:11:36 PM

Is anyone else having issues syncing? I'm about 70 blocks behind and it will not go any further than that...

All donations are given to the Universal DBDB Organization
EAC: egokwQAmnNvumsQfMokeV2qKRgJdARY4D4
GRA: 9ECPZJBtbMHyfGikdUzQuf9Z8t6gGbWh5s
cryptomining

Activity: 434

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 04:52:23 PM

Is anyone else having issues syncing? I'm about 70 blocks behind and it will not go any further than that...

no. you running the new 1.3?  try erasing peers.dat  in C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Grain and restarting client.
Pages: « 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 ... 156 »
  Print  

Jump to: