Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 02:57:35 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 [132] 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 ... 230 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Reddit’s science forum banned climate deniers.  (Read 636405 times)
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 01:19:21 PM

A person can only explain so many times why an idea is not true- eventually to keep the page reasonable some have to be blocked. When I went on and on for hours repeating some nonsense as a kid my mother would finally have enough of it and slap me silly. Unfortunately we can't do the same for people on web sites so the next best thing is to block them

What if you tell your mom over and over to stop smocking crack? Would she be right to slap you silly? The banning on reddit lacked the same perspective.

Sierra Club in Senate committee meeting CANNOT EVEN ANSWER QUESTIONS on global warming.

This is rather amazing as public testimony.

https://youtu.be/Sl9-tY1oZNw

I would particularly like to hear comments from people that do believe Earth is heating up and we are the evil villians on this testimony. 

On the surface, it simply appears to make NO SENSE.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 03:13:52 PM

A person can only explain so many times why an idea is not true- eventually to keep the page reasonable some have to be blocked. When I went on and on for hours repeating some nonsense as a kid my mother would finally have enough of it and slap me silly. Unfortunately we can't do the same for people on web sites so the next best thing is to block them

What if you tell your mom over and over to stop smocking crack? Would she be right to slap you silly? The banning on reddit lacked the same perspective.

Sierra Club in Senate committee meeting CANNOT EVEN ANSWER QUESTIONS on global warming.

I would particularly like to hear comments from people that do believe Earth is heating up and we are the evil villians on this testimony. 

Less jobs. Less humans. More concentrated power for the few.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 03:42:05 PM

Trio Of Academics Fight Global Warming By Travelling A Combined 8,426 Miles For A One-Hour Meeting On Climate Change…

Two taxpayer-funded college presidents and the president of America’s largest university-based climate alliance traveled a combined 8,426 miles this week to meet for slightly over an hour to discuss strategies for carbon reduction.

The “climate leadership meeting” occurred on Monday at Agnes Scott College, a private, all-female bastion of about 1,000 students in the Atlanta suburb of Decatur.

The meeting lasted one hour, seven minutes and 21 seconds, according to the YouTube video which captured it for posterity.

Speakers at the meeting included Ball State University president Paul Ferguson, Portland State University president Wim Wiewel and Tim Carter, the president of Second Nature, a Boston, Mass.-based coalition of colleges dedicated to fighting climate change.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/10/06/trio-of-academics-travel-8426-miles-for-one-hour-climate-change-meeting/

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 06:39:31 PM

Mr. Mair are you familiar with the concept of a "turing test". Because Mr. Mair, at this time, you appear to be failing it.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 08:03:34 PM

Mr. Mair are you familiar with the concept of a "turing test". Because Mr. Mair, at this time, you appear to be failing it.
Let me preface my comment below by noting that I AM NOT in favor of racial segregation, nor of having marihuana illegal, nor of criminalizing sexual behavior if consensual.

However I have heard, reasoned, rational arguments for each of these points of view.
Mair does not seem to even have an argument.
Anyone on this forum could out argue him.

Now I would make one analogy.  Haven't we seen similar behavior on this thread, where Warmer afficionados would make an assertion, make it again, make it again, then vanish, never really addressing the issues?

Very strange.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 08:21:11 PM

Let me preface my comment below by noting that I AM NOT in favor of racial segregation, nor of having marihuana illegal, nor of criminalizing sexual behavior if consensual.

However I have heard, reasoned, rational arguments for each of these points of view.
Mair does not seem to even have an argument.
Anyone on this forum could out argue him.

Now I would make one analogy.  Haven't we seen similar behavior on this thread, where Warmer afficionados would make an assertion, make it again, make it again, then vanish, never really addressing the issues?

Very strange.

Just because everyones in it doesn't mean it isn't a cult. Cheesy

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 10:15:11 PM
Last edit: October 07, 2015, 10:38:05 PM by hdbuck

the guy is a robot.

<infinity_repeat: "I concur with 97% scientists"/>
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 10:24:42 PM

the guy is a robot.

And a dumb robot to boot: he had to ask for data input multiple times. Then he switched to safe mode.

hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 10:39:27 PM

the guy is a robot.

And a dumb robot to boot: he had to ask for data input multiple times. Then he switched to safe mode.

sure, altho what mainly concerns me is, they are already among us !  Shocked
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 10:43:24 PM

the guy is a robot.

The way I see it: the robots among us are as strong as the brain controlling them. Once the brain is shut off the robots will look for new codes to fill their emptiness...

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 12:00:09 AM

the guy is a robot.

The way I see it: the robots among us are as strong as the brain controlling them. Once the brain is shut off the robots will look for new codes to fill their emptiness...

Prepare for the deprogramming, and new corrected programming, of the Stepford Climate Wives Femanpersons and Manpersons.

Have your new codes ready to fill their emptiness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op0qrTGRcxk
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 01:00:09 AM

the guy is a robot.

Monbiot always had a sort of pure intellectual honesty and rigorous thinking, but still this is surprising....

http://pjmedia.com/eddriscoll/2011/05/04/prominent-environmentalist-finally-discovers-his-religions-catch-22/

[George Monbiot of the Guardian] also acknowledges the contradictory and inconsistent nature of the green solutions.  He acknowledges that there is no prospect for democratic politics to impose the draconian limits on consumption and economic activity that green dogma requires.  Every ‘solution’ the greens have come up with has a fatal flaw of some kind; none of it works, none of it makes any sense.  As Monbiot concludes,“All of us in the environment movement, in other words – whether we propose accommodation, radical downsizing or collapse – are lost. None of us yet has a convincing account of how humanity can get out of this mess. None of our chosen solutions break the atomising, planet-wrecking project. I hope that by laying out the problem I can encourage us to address it more logically, to abandon magical thinking and to recognise the contradictions we confront. But even that could be a tall order.”

This is an awesome admission of categorical intellectual, political and moral failure.  For two decades greens have arrogated to themselves the authority of science and wrapped themselves in the arrogant certainty of self-righteous contempt for those who oppose them.  They have equated skepticism about their incoherent and contradictory policy proposals with hatred of science and attacked their critics as the soulless hired shills of the oil companies, happy to ruin humanity for the sake of some corporate largesse.

Monbiot has worked his way through to a cogent description of the dead end the global green movement has reached, but he has not yet diagnosed the cause.  In particular, he remains a staunch Malthusian...
ThePrinceofTea

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 01:14:09 AM

lie to president of russian federation... only dare... stop president of russian federation from speaking... only dare... it's fun when a former slave want to tell a free man how to live.

he should take example on Carson, brainmed is true, even on board of the entreprise... like a punch of tyson, like so many other... but why him? blackmail? does he fuck the lady of the un? you know the black on...

CONDIE SAVE US!
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 03:28:14 AM

Monbiot always had a sort of pure intellectual honesty and rigorous thinking, but still this is surprising....

http://pjmedia.com/eddriscoll/2011/05/04/prominent-environmentalist-finally-discovers-his-religions-catch-22/

[George Monbiot of the Guardian] also acknowledges the contradictory and inconsistent nature of the green solutions.  He acknowledges that there is no prospect for democratic politics to impose the draconian limits on consumption and economic activity that green dogma requires.  Every ‘solution’ the greens have come up with has a fatal flaw of some kind; none of it works, none of it makes any sense.  As Monbiot concludes,“All of us in the environment movement, in other words – whether we propose accommodation, radical downsizing or collapse – are lost. None of us yet has a convincing account of how humanity can get out of this mess. None of our chosen solutions break the atomising, planet-wrecking project. I hope that by laying out the problem I can encourage us to address it more logically, to abandon magical thinking and to recognise the contradictions we confront. But even that could be a tall order.”

This is an awesome admission of categorical intellectual, political and moral failure.  For two decades greens have arrogated to themselves the authority of science and wrapped themselves in the arrogant certainty of self-righteous contempt for those who oppose them.  They have equated skepticism about their incoherent and contradictory policy proposals with hatred of science and attacked their critics as the soulless hired shills of the oil companies, happy to ruin humanity for the sake of some corporate largesse.

Monbiot has worked his way through to a cogent description of the dead end the global green movement has reached, but he has not yet diagnosed the cause.  In particular, he remains a staunch Malthusian...

As long as Monbiot and his eco-ilk remain humanophobes with pinko-ish and eugenicist tendencies they'll be useful enough to their corporatist/technocratic enablers to continue to facilitate.  When they grow beyond these mindsets they'll be discarded like a crusty jiz-rag.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
galdur

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 04:17:26 AM

Well, this isn´t awfully surprising....

----------------------------------

Cold weather far more deadly than hot weather

OCTOBER 8, 2015

Cold weather kills 20 times as many people as hot weather, according to study. The study analyzed more than 74 million deaths between 1985 and 2012 in thirteen different countries displaying a wide range of climates, from cold to subtropical.

Data on daily average temperature, death rates, and confounding variables (eg, humidity and air pollution) were used to determine the temperature of minimum mortality (the optimal temperature). The researchers then estimated the relative contributions of heat and cold, from moderate to extreme temperatures.

“It’s often assumed that extreme weather causes the majority of deaths, with most previous research focusing on the effects of extreme heat waves,” says lead author Dr Antonio Gasparrini from the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine in the UK. “Our findings, from an analysis of the largest dataset of temperature-related deaths ever collected, show that the majority of these deaths actually happen on moderately hot and cold days, with most deaths caused by moderately cold temperatures.”

According to Dr Gasparrini, “Current public-health policies focus almost exclusively on minimising the health consequences of heat waves. Our findings suggest that these measures need to be refocused and extended to take account of a whole range of effects associated with temperature.”The study was funded by UK Medical Research Council.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(14)62114-0/abstract
http://www.alphagalileo.org/ViewItem.aspx?ItemId=152855&CultureCode=en

galdur

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 04:22:42 AM

Recent lunar eclipse reveals a sign of global cooling in the atmosphere

Guest Blogger / 3 days ago October 6, 2015

by Dr. Richard Keen, via spaceweather.com (h/t to Leif Svalgaard)

On Sept. 27th, millions of people around the world watched the Moon pass through the shadow of our planet. Most agreed that the lunar eclipse was darker than usual. Little did they know, they were witnessing a sign of global cooling. But only a little. (continued below)...

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/10/06/recent-lunar-eclipse-reveals-a-sign-of-global-cooling-in-the-atmosphere/

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 03:12:18 PM

On Sept. 27th, millions of people around the world watched the Moon pass through the shadow of our planet. Most agreed that the lunar eclipse was darker than usual. Little did they know, they were witnessing a sign of global cooling. But only a little. (continued below)...

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/10/06/recent-lunar-eclipse-reveals-a-sign-of-global-cooling-in-the-atmosphere/

When the sun isn't striking the lunar surface but is hitting the earth, the Moon is often faintly visible from reflected light - Earthshine. 

From an orbiting ISS or satellite, one can point a telescope with sensors at the Moon.  At appropriate times, it shouldn't be a problem to measure Earthshine.  Since the lunar surface, unlike that of Earth, never changes, this gives you a direct measure of the outgoing radiation from the Earth.  Hence you can measure albedo of the planet in it's entirety and over time, figure the radiation balance and whether it is going in the direction of cooling, or warming.

Maybe that's a bit technical but I'm wondering why no one has done it....
Schleicher

Activity: 675
Merit: 513

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 03:53:45 PM

When the sun isn't striking the lunar surface but is hitting the earth, the Moon is often faintly visible from reflected light - Earthshine. 

From an orbiting ISS or satellite, one can point a telescope with sensors at the Moon.  At appropriate times, it shouldn't be a problem to measure Earthshine.  Since the lunar surface, unlike that of Earth, never changes, this gives you a direct measure of the outgoing radiation from the Earth.  Hence you can measure albedo of the planet in it's entirety and over time, figure the radiation balance and whether it is going in the direction of cooling, or warming.

You can measure it directly, no need for using the moon.
NASA's CERES is doing that.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 04:01:44 PM

Sounds like the plan a future nobel bitcointalk prize winner. If I could understand your statement, anyone can. Ask for money, as a global warming believer, to fund your study.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 04:05:54 PM

You can measure it directly, no need for using the moon.
NASA's CERES is doing that.

The thing my little brain does not get. What is the "base" for the average temperature of the earth? The blue curve is beautiful. It goes up and down... And I see a zero line in the middle. That's cute too...

But...

Pages: « 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 [132] 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 ... 230 »
  Print  

Jump to: