Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 12:51:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 [340] 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 ... 400 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Catcoin - Scrypt meow!  (Read 470674 times)
ajax3592

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 09:07:19 PM

Can I have .conf info please. No mention of it in OP.

Crypto news/tutorials >>CoinRamble<<                            >>Netcodepool<<                >>My graphics<<
envy2010

Activity: 168

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 09:20:28 PM

If there were real fears of hyperinflation following another change, the difficulty could be reset to 40 or 50 instead of the 16 it was set to last time. That would make the coin about as profitable as LTC initially, so miners aren't losing money, but nowhere near the top of the charts.

The actual net hash supports a 40 or 50 difficulty.

I agree with you about the initial difficulty reset.

I also can agree with you about the practicality and effectiveness of limiting difficulty changes - provided that coin prices are not subject to wild swings up or down. I believe press coverage and public whims are hard to predict, and a sudden rush of buyers is an ever present possibility (just look at what happened to Bitcoins last year) - and something we should welcome and be prepared for. So whatever changes we ultimately make - it should anticipate a 50x to 100x jump in coin valuation, followed immediately by the inevitable coin hitting the very top of the profitability charts - and the inevitable rush of all the coin hoppers jumping in to take advantage of that market arbitrage. We should lay out in careful detail exactly how things might play out under those happy conditions, and whether we can obtain stability at the new price levels quickly, or if hyperinflation is unavoidable in that circumstance and the prices are destined to crash immediately following the initial enthusiasm.

Upon contemplating those happy conditions - I am brought to wonder if my 50% reduction in rewards is even too conservative. If prices spike to 100x, would it be asking too much to reduce the coin revenues of cherry-pickers by 99%, and let loyal miners who had been mining before the price spike receive the full benefit of the increase - at least for a while? The new miners could then wait out a reasonable period mining the newly profitable coin - yet not enjoying profits yet - until they have continued mining it for some reasonable duration, then they could gradually be let in on the profits. I believe this can be coded in - would address hyperinflation that would otherwise occur in those conditions - and would be a great incentive to build into being loyal miners - not to mention that by avoiding minting too many coins it could allow the newly found market price to have a chance of sustaining itself - by the mere absence of a big barrage of new coins. It would give miners with a track record of mining the coin when it wasn't as profitable - a kind of inertia and stake in the coin - similar to owning a bunch of coins outright - while denying cherry-pickers the chance to get sudden profits.

Thank you for your thoughtful contributions.

Etblvu1

The correlation between value and any network statistic (difficulty, blocktime, hashrate) is poor at best. Getting that info from a source outside the network (exchange etc.) is pretty sketchy. How do you propose to make the loyalty mechanism at all sensitive to value?
Nullu

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 09:50:18 PM

Look at these diff swings

98 -> 26 -> 45 -> 63 -> 29 -> 78

The down swing should take a percentage of the difficulty level that came before it to make it resistant.

For example;

if(26 < (98 / 2) && 26 < 98)
 new difficulty = 26 + (98 / 2)

Which is pseudo code for; if the next difficulty is lower than the previous difficulty, and the current difficulty is less than half of the next difficulty, then add half of the new difficulty to the old difficulty, and use this new difficulty instead.

I'm a c++ programmer, but I wouldn't know where to begin with implementing something like this without spending a solid week buried in code.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
envy2010

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 09:55:07 PM

The pool hash has all dropped off. Blocktimes are approaching 3 hours. Catchain is estimating network hash at under 75 MH/s.

CAT is going to get pumped again big time, unless the price drops a lot before the next diff change.
LeoC

Activity: 154

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 09:56:01 PM

Your algorithm would still create swings that are too large. A simple 20% increase cap and 30% decrease cap is sufficient.

On another note, I missed the fire sale, stupid BTC is still clearing.
Nullu

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 09:59:58 PM

Your algorithm would still create swings that are too large. A simple 20% increase cap and 30% decrease cap is sufficient.

On another note, I missed the fire sale, stupid BTC is still clearing.

I made a deposit earlier today of Cat and it has 6 confirmations and it's still pending. Is Cryptsy always this slow?

I like the idea of a cap, however shouldn't it be the other way around? Wouldn't you want the increase cap to be higher than the decrease cap to encourage difficulty to reach the right level? I suppose either way would work, depending on whether you want to slow down difficulty growth, or slow down difficulty decline.

LeoC

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 10:01:45 PM

I made a deposit earlier today of Cat and it has 6 confirmations and it's still pending. Is Cryptsy always this slow?

Yes it is. Once my BTC clears I'll shoot the price per coin up. It's thin as hell.
envy2010

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 10:03:37 PM

Yes it is. Once my BTC clears I'll shoot the price per coin up. It's thin as hell.

Right now the problem is the CAT blockchain. No new blocks have been found in over 3 hours.

We are long past the point of keeping the diff over 40. Now we have to hope it drops below 10 and the 4x pump puts it back in the 30 to 50 range.
Nullu

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 10:04:08 PM

I'm going to work on making a simple API script in PHP at some point to sell my coins based on particular market conditions when my funds clear. I can't wait this long for them to clear every time. It'd drive me mad.

etblvu1

Activity: 213

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 10:43:12 PM
Last edit: January 08, 2014, 11:02:47 PM by etblvu1

The correlation between value and any network statistic (difficulty, blocktime, hashrate) is poor at best. Getting that info from a source outside the network (exchange etc.) is pretty sketchy. How do you propose to make the loyalty mechanism at all sensitive to value?

This is an excellent question. I do not think we as a cryptocurrency ecosystem have a stable universal API yet to pull coin exchange information to build into a coin as yet - it would be unwise to build a coin on the API of specific exchanges - so we have to rely on other factors.

There are factors which we can obtain with 100% certainty from the blockchain itself - which avoids reliance on any external data - which can be helpful. They are:
1. Current difficulty level - which can be used as a reasonable stand-in for the aggregate network hash rate at the start of the current difficulty level
2. Previous difficulty level(s) - which can be used as a reasonable stand-in for the aggregate network hash rates at the start of respective difficulty levels
3. Which wallets address received block awards during the each of the current and previous difficulty eras
4. Anticipated forthcoming difficulty level if the change were to happen now - which can be used as a reasonable stand-in for knowing the aggregate network hashrate at present

Although we cannot derive current market value based on these factors - we can use these indicators to pinpoint when there is or is about to have high demand to mine the coins - which is a pretty reliable indicator that the market value is much higher than it was in the immediate past relative to difficulty level. It's kind of like being a bat and flying on ultrasonic sound reflections. We can't directly see the objects, but we can sense the feedback, which is enough to avoid running into them.

Let's say we are at difficulty level 90, and we have a total of 1 GH of mining going on (I am sure the correlation is not correct, this is just to illustrate the idea), and based on this hashrate, the network anticipates adjusting the difficulty level down to 25 (factor #4 above). We also know that the network difficulty level adjustment does not take into account that people will tend to want to mine more when the difficulty goes down, and will want to mine less when difficulty goes up. In other words, when the difficulty goes down to 25, if the hashrate stayed at 1 GH, then the block will be solved every 10 minutes as desired. But the  fact the difficulty is at 25 will inevitably cause the hashrate to go up - we have never seen it not do this.

We can also reasonably surmise that the 1 GH of hashing, will continue to hash once the difficulty level drops to 25. But there will be additional hashing power that will show up in response to the easier difficulty level.

By using wallet address information (factor #3 above), we can programmatically construct a list of miners (represented as wallet addresses) are members of the stable 1 GH of hashing power, that was actively hashing when the difficulty was at 90 (and we can look back many adjustment eras, to include more miners, perhaps solo miners that don't find blocks very often, in this set). So the entire network can be looking at the same list, 100% derived from analyzing the blockchain.

During this difficulty level 25 period, we know difficulty has dropped more than 50%, so we know we want to limit rewards for cherry pickers. During this exceptional era, when a new block solution is submitted into the network, the network can compare the wallet address of the node that has submitted the solution, with the list of wallets programmatically constructed above which acts as a kind of loyal miner white list. If the solution submitter is not on the list, the entire network can agree and have consensus based on a preprogrammed formula to reduce the block reward given to that wallet (such reduce by 50%, from 50 coins, to 25 coins). If the wallet submitting the solution is on the list, then we can agree as a network, that we award the full 50 coin award. This is oversimplifying a bit - in reality we'd want to make it so if someone solved a block once, they can redeem during the easy period once, if they solved 10 blocks - then they can redeem 10 times at full value, etc. But you can see the principle.

What this formula would accomplish is not directly to see price swings - but like the bat - it can sense ultrasonically indicators of coin hoppers coming to collect easy coins - and with 100% precision, snipe half of the reward away from just the cherry pickers - while allowing proven members of the set of miners who have been contributing hashes (by solving blocks) during more difficult times - the benefit of the full award. Now, my original formula was to reduce the reward by a fixed 50%, but if the coin price jumped up 100-fold, it would still even with the 50% reduction, attract a lot of coin hoppers. So the formula could be adjusted, so it takes the ratio of difficulty levels and uses that. So in our example, if our difficulty went from 90 to 25, we meet the criteria of an exceptional reduction in difficulty (it went down >50%), which engages the logic. We would mathematically derive that 90 => 25 is a 72.7% reduction in difficulty, which the whole network can agree to. So we would grant a full 50-coin award for solving blocks during this difficulty era to any qualifying wallets, but reduce the reward by 72.7% for any other wallets that solve the block (so the award would be 13.65 in this case). This makes the newcomer see the exact same award as if they had showed up during the higher difficulty era, while those who had been hashing gets to see the easier difficulty era. This entirely defeats the logic of showing up when difficulty gets easier, to mine for a short while, then go mine somewhere else. Now, if the coin valuation went way up, say 100x, then the newcomer would still come and mine the coin anyway despite the reduction in award, because it is still profitable (13.65 coins that are 50x more valuable, is still worth 682.5 coins at the previous market value). If the network hashrate swelled to 10x the previous levels based on this difficulty (9 new mining GH for the 1 existing GH), it means the block reward would look like this - 36 blocks x 10% = 3.6 blocks receive 50 coins each = 180 coins to the loyal miner. 36 blocks x 90% = 32.4 blocks receive 13.65 coins each = 442.26 coins to the newly arrived miners. So a total of only 622.26 coins got produced during this exceptionally easy difficulty cycle - limiting inflation. This is much better than 180 coins to the loyal miner to 1,620 coins to the newly arrived miners (total 1800 coins produced = lots of inflation) which would otherwise prevail. Since more miners showed up despite reduced payment we can safely assume it is in response to rise in catcoin value in the market. The difficulty then adjusts upward, and everyone can start receiving the full 50-coin awards. But if this was a case where it was only a temporary reduction in difficulty, and it was going to go up again - or there's going to be a longer-term reduction in difficulty level - then the newly arrived miners presumably leave and the stable 1 GH of miners stay, and we have saved ourselves 1,177.74 coins of inflation and coins being dumped in the market, during that difficulty era, and we can keep the same restriction in place for as long as the difficulty stays in the same ballpark. Realistically, people respond to incentives and the 1 GH hashrate would stay around there inherently despite the reduction in difficulty from 90 to 25 UNLESS the value of the coin went up in the market - in which case people would be attracted to mining the coin for its market merits rather than immediate dumping profits -and would stay and continue mining at the next significant difficulty increase  - at which point they have earned the right to get full credit for solutions submitted from that point forward - and we can count them as a genuine increase in the baseline mining GH of the coin deserving full reward, and the difficulty increase is a genuine increase, not a temporary spike. So by this means, network hash rate will increase in response to increase in the coin value in the markets as we want - but not in response to just the difficulty level dropping while the coin value remains the same or dropping (which is inherently a temporary difficulty drop anyhow). By this means, we eliminate the tendency for coin hoppers to create and sustain wild oscillations in the difficulty - while still allowing the coin to respond quickly to rise in market value of the coin, by allowing new legitimate hashing power to be added to the coin.

I hope that presentation was clear enough that you could follow it, I know it's not exactly white paper quality - I wanted to get you a timely answer. Please feel free to ask me to clarify any aspect if I didn't do a good enough job.

Etblvu1

kr105 (OP)

Activity: 938
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 10:48:41 PM

I've received a lot of hate from several people via PM about me "abandoning MY project", that people invested real money into this, that I shouldn't be able to sleep with the damage I've done to people letting the price of the CAT go down, etc etc.
This is not MY coin, I don't control it and I don't decide its price. This coin is property of everyone who holds any amount of CAT and trust me when I say that I only have a very few amount of them. Please go and blame the people who hold dozens of thousands of CATs (not me) and didn't donate for giveaways or bounties when they were made with hopes to promote this feline.
Because the robbery happened into my house I had to take a 2nd job that is now using most of my previous spare time, so I can't work on the coin like I did before. But hey, this is a community, patches are accepted on the Github repo and you don't need my help to promote the CAT or create services around it. Do you?

It will be at least several weeks until I can get enough free time again to donate to non profit (for me) internet projects. So I will be accepting patches, suggestions and OP modifications requests in the meanwhile (If you get a consensus about the current situation of the difficulty changes, then I will implement it, just like I did on the hard fork). If you want this cat to be successful, take some action yourself! Don't keep waiting someone else to do the job for you.
NyanCat

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 10:56:40 PM
Last edit: January 08, 2014, 11:15:56 PM by NyanCat

Finally you wrote something on board.

One of these PMs is mine. I think it is not a big problem to log in everyday for some time, join irc channel, show other people that you live. I am promoting CatCoin on a big polish site, and people think that coin is dying because owner abandoned it and development is finished. Remember that people look at you. You are business card of this coin.
LeoC

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 10:59:11 PM

I've received a lot of hate from several people via PM about me "abandoning MY project", that people invested real money into this, that I shouldn't be able to sleep with the damage I've done to people letting the price of the CAT go down, etc etc.
This is not MY coin, I don't control it and I don't decide its price. This coin is property of everyone who holds any amount of CAT and trust me when I say that I only have a very few amount of them. Please go and blame the people who hold dozens of thousands of CATs (not me) and didn't donate for giveaways or bounties when they were made with hopes to promote this feline.
Because the robbery happened into my house I had to take a 2nd job that is now using most of my previous spare time, so I can't work on the coin like I did before. But hey, this is a community, patches are accepted on the Github repo and you don't need my help to promote the CAT or create services around it. Do you?

It will be at least several weeks until I can get enough free time again to donate to non profit (for me) internet projects. So I will be accepting patches, suggestions and OP modifications requests in the meanwhile (If you get a consensus about the current situation of the difficulty changes, then I will implement it, just like I did on the hard fork). If you want this cat to be successful, take some action yourself! Don't keep waiting someone else to do the job for you.

Ignore the haters, they just need a scapegoat and you are an easy target.
We still need that fork that I mentioned though. I could do it but there is a trust issue.
I was wondering if you could do it? I just sent you 200 CATs right now for whatever you need.
Help us get CAT back to it's glory days and I will personally hook you up Smiley

Saludos de Argentina amigo Chileno!
Nullu

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 11:00:25 PM

I know you've gotten some negative PMs, but please believe me when I say there are a lot of people here trying very hard to promote this coin, and while your support and efforts are greatly welcome, we understand if they cannot take absolute priority over more pressing matters.

I hope you get back on your feet soon, and thanks for spending the time you have on Catcoin. I certainly agree that some big holders of Cat would be doing the currency they've invested in a great service by donating some of it to yourself. As the Dev you deserve a stake in its future too.

Nullu

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 11:02:32 PM

Ignore the haters, they just need a scapegoat and you are an easy target.
We still need that fork that I mentioned though. I could do it but there is a trust issue.
I was wondering if you could do it? I'll give you 200 CATs right now for whatever you need.

Saludos de Argentina amigo Chileno!

Before we rush ahead with another fork, could we do it right this time and discuss how it's going to be implemented, and what sort of ramifications it would have? The exchanges aren't going to be happy with another fork. The pool situation last time nearly killed Catcoin on its feet. If there is to be a second fork, it needs to be done right. Single purpose. Slow, methodical, and with consensus. Everything gets discussed here, and then it gets put to a general vote once it's been discussed in detail.

I do like your ideas though.

LeoC

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 11:04:18 PM

There needs to be a cap of 20% on difficulty increases, and 30% on difficulty decreases.
I can't think of anything else that needs to be changed.
Retarget time is good. Block rewards and such are good. Max coins is good.
Literally the only thing fucking with us are the large hashrate coin jumpers.
kisa2005

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 11:04:50 PM

cheerup kr please - the community needs you!
those who sent dev hate PM please free to write sorry with some CATs attached. Wink

CATs unite!
hozer

Activity: 271
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2014, 11:09:32 PM

+5

quit bitchin' and https://github.com/kR105/catcoin/fork show me some code, or at least send KR105 some catcoins.

I've proposed something non-simple ( https://bitbucket.org/dahozer/catcoin/wiki/Stake-mine ), but what a very simple change: retarget *every* block based on the last 36 blocks.

Fair? Say yes and give me a block number and I'll run it on my p2pool node and post the code.
LeoC

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 11:09:43 PM
Last edit: January 08, 2014, 11:20:03 PM by LeoC

I sent him 200 CATs. More if we can get the price up  Grin

Currency   Send to Address                                      Amount                   Conf   Request Date
CatCoin   9p14KjgEPrRMHGdcfc5QpoeDaN4yQjWXm8      200.10000000 CAT   Yes   2014-01-08 18:01:08
Processed   TrxID: 6ec25de75bc9a160d73fb9d8774c4934b0261dcf2f6ae3948be84b3bcc5cbd7a @ 2014-01-08 18:10:10

+5

quit bitchin' and https://github.com/kR105/catcoin/fork show me some code, or at least send KR105 some catcoins.

I've proposed something non-simple ( https://bitbucket.org/dahozer/catcoin/wiki/Stake-mine ), but what a very simple change: retarget *every* block based on the last 36 blocks.

Fair? Say yes and give me a block number and I'll run it on my p2pool node and post the code.

I like it Smiley, you will need to contact the exchanges with your updated wallet.
etblvu1

Activity: 213

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 11:29:49 PM
Last edit: January 09, 2014, 01:34:14 AM by etblvu1

There needs to be a cap of 20% on difficulty increases, and 30% on difficulty decreases.
I can't think of anything else that needs to be changed.
Retarget time is good. Block rewards and such are good. Max coins is good.
Literally the only thing fucking with us are the large hashrate coin jumpers.

As I understand the proposed mechanism, this would result in a rigid structure of difficulty levels changing very gradually regardless of what happens in the coin markets. So if the coin goes way up in value in the markets (press coverage or some big investor decides to jump in), it would cause the coin to almost immediately land at the top of the profitability charts. In turn, lots and lots of coin hoppers will show up to take advantage of the ability to instantly mine and dump on the exchages for instant riches. This process would inherently also involve a lot of coin inflation, with block solutions maybe every 30 seconds. Inevitably, this sudden influx of rapidly created coins dumped on the exchanges will sooner or later cause a crash or correction in the price of the coin - before the difficulty has had the chance to adjust - at which time the profitability will suddenly be worse than LTC, and all the coin hoppers will leave as if in a concerted coordinated massive action. Now blocks are coming once every few hours, and difficulty adjustments are not allowing things to return to realistic levels quickly enough.   So in the aftermath of a crash in the coin price, we have the added burden of block solutions being hours apart (from the recent high) during which period the coin would be criticized as 1) unprofitable and 2) unusable. More miners leave. These things together aggravate the recent market crash, further reducing the coin's exchange value and reputation. Then inevitably, there would be talk of yet another hard fork. Around this time, Cryptsy and other exchanges get tired of it and start internally referring to it as yet another not well thought out junk coin requiring a lot of chores of them in seemingly endless hard forks - and drop the coin. More miners leave. There is no longer any clear market price for these coins anymore without exchanges to trade them at. People openly call the coin dead. The QT clients start having a hard time connecting to the network. I apologize in advance if you consider this to be an unfair characterization or extrapolation of how your formula would respond to the hypothetical scenario I have presented - if you have a better way of describing how the scenario would play out, please let describe how you see it playing out.

I am holding out hope that the next release of the coin if it involves a hard fork, will specifically address coin hoppers collecting easy profits - and by that means establish stability in the difficulty level relative to market prices - and not have the network hashrate or difficulty level respond so much to temporary cherry pickers trying to show up to cash in. Please keep in mind also, if there are any questions about credibility of my models of the coin hopper's psychology, difficulty swings, and market prices - that I used this same model to predict - before the hard fork took effect - that we would suffer wild difficulty swings afterwards. My publicly declared prediction based on this model has come true - so if the same model predicts problems with this proposed solution - it may be worth taking heed and adjust it or do whatever it takes so the solution we eventually implement will be successful in light of the proven model of how difficulty levels, coin exchange markets, coin hopper psychology interact.

I think if we retarget at every block, we will see difficulty changes would be hard to predict, and the profitability of the coin, if it could be put on a graph, would look very erratic. There are other altcoins known to have very erratic profitability graphs, and they seem to suffer negative reputations for this reason - and they show up randomly at the top of profitability charts, because being erratic inherently involves landing at the top of the profitability charts (even if for a few minutes at a time), which could contribute to the erratic behavior, as major hashpower is thrown at the coin for a few minutes at a time to try to take advantage of the apparent split-second profitability. I do not know if this is a formula for long-term success - would you see back-porting this difficulty adjustment formula to LTC or BTC and having them do as well as they are doing now - or better? After all, BTC and LTC are the gold standard of stable coins with high market cap. If anything, the retarget should be lengthened, while simultaneously taking away all economic incentives to coin-hop.

Also, I think it makes sense to study other altcoins for strategies that have already been tried, and see if they were successful. From the GalayCoin information thread at cryptocointalk.com:

GALAXYCOIN GLX
Galxycoin is a descedant of Novacoin, it uses both Proof of Work and Proof of Stake. It is effectively resistent to 51% attack. It provides steady coin supply at 64 coins per block, for 8 years. The difficulty retargeted each block, with the last 10 blocks average, this ensures a fast adjustment to the network hashrate, while maintaining a stable transition.

I have seen GLX appear intermittently at the top of the profitability charts at coinwarz.com, but usually near the bottom of the chart, and sometimes in the middle. This appears to be the characteric to expect from continuously varying the difficulty of a coin. Also, I am not certain that GLX has avoided the attention of coin hoppers entirely, or I would think despite the continuous difficulty adjustment, it would have found some degree of stability from a core pool of dedicated miners. Maybe I missed something and there is a fundamental difference between what GLX implemented and your proposal, but in any case it seems good to look to earlier efforts for any potentially useful lessons.

Thank you for your consideration.

Etblvu1
Pages: « 1 ... 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 [340] 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 ... 400 »
  Print  

Jump to: