Bitcoin Forum
July 07, 2024, 04:57:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 5722 5723 5724 5725 5726 5727 5728 5729 5730 5731 5732 5733 5734 5735 5736 5737 5738 5739 5740 5741 5742 5743 5744 5745 5746 5747 5748 5749 5750 5751 5752 5753 5754 5755 5756 5757 5758 5759 5760 5761 5762 5763 5764 5765 5766 5767 5768 5769 5770 5771 [5772] 5773 5774 5775 5776 5777 5778 5779 5780 5781 5782 5783 5784 5785 5786 5787 5788 5789 5790 5791 5792 5793 5794 5795 5796 5797 5798 5799 5800 5801 5802 5803 5804 5805 5806 5807 5808 5809 5810 5811 5812 5813 5814 5815 5816 5817 5818 5819 5820 5821 5822 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722729 times)
TanteStefana2
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 12:24:26 AM

EDIT: Well, apparently ASICs are a good thing!

I`m not in favor of them. I`m surprised the change from DRK to DASH caused more uproar than this fundamental change. I thought ASIC resistance was a given feature with DASH.

Yes, it was ASIC resistance.  Even from the very beginning Evan said he was hoping for 2 years without ASICs and strangely enough, that just what he got.  This is because the network needed to be strong enough for the change over, which it is.  This was not unforeseen.  

ASICs do strengthen the security of the network.  They do this by making it so much harder to mess with transactions via someone having the ability to double the hash between blocks, changing transactions, and getting the longest chain.  This could actually happen with a massively successful botnet that is kept idle except when needed, reducing the chance of people discovering the infection, increasing the spread of the bot and being able to control a ton of hash power for short periods of time.

And this is because only a very few of the world's computers are hashing, most people don't even know about crypto currencies, but they all have graphics cards that can be hijacked.

ASICs are usually not kept idle and thus, their high hash power would be very difficult, thousands of times harder, to double or triple. This makes the network more secure.

Anyway, Evan Duffield, our lead developer has said he and the team have come up with a potential solution that he will reveal soon.  Hopefully it'll pan out and we'll hear from him soon.  

One thing you can say about Dash, is that change is not something Dash fears.  Dash rolls with the changes (thanks RUSH)

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
Sir Winston Churchill  BTC: 12pu5nMDPEyUGu3HTbnUB5zY5RG65EQE5d
xxxgoodgirls
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 01:04:17 AM

Is anyone running the MN from a raspberry pi? Won't it get eventually overharmed for being turned on 24/7?

In summary, the Intel Management Engine and its applications are a backdoor with total access to and control over the rest of the PC. The ME is a threat to freedom, security, and privacy, and the libreboot project strongly recommends avoiding it entirely. Since recent versions of it can’t be removed, this means avoiding all recent generations of Intel hardware. details https://libreboot.org/faq.html#intelme --- https://tehnoetic.com/laptops --- https://store.vikings.net/x200-ryf-certfied
Minotaur26
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 01:09:08 AM

I`m not in favor of them. I`m surprised the change from DRK to DASH caused more uproar than this fundamental change. I thought ASIC resistance was a given feature with DASH.

I think is important to be clear that the Dash project is not in favor of ASIC mining centralization either.  Having said that, just changing the algorithm is not really a long term solution either as they could just develop ASICs for the new algorithm. Also the issue is not intrinsically ASICS but the centralization that unfair cost advantages on certain locations produce. If everyone had competitive ASICs and electricity costs around the world it would not be an issue either.

So we are working on a potential solution to the centralization issue that does not necessarily include changing algorithms. Is in research and it may not turn out as expected but we are aware of the issue.

This was part of the latest official announcement by Evan:

Another very important point to make about the Satoshi Roundtable was the very large issue with mining centralization in the Bitcoin space. When Satoshi originally invented Bitcoin, he did not anticipate the excessive mining centralization that has become a dominant force in the Bitcoin space. Due to this, we now have a small group of people that literally control the protocol consensus and their short term interests may be in conflict with the long term interests of other stakeholders, industry, users, etc. We definitely do not want our ecosystem to follow the same failed course and we definitely would have under the pooled ASIC mining paradigm. This is mainly because there are differences in efficiency that a miner can gain depending on where they live, which can give a huge advantage when their higher investment returns are compounded. Efficiencies such as cheaper labor, cheap or free electricity and even withholding newer advanced ASICs for their own mining operations, then selling them after they become less effective. After many iterations of these phenomenon in BTC we have come to a situation where the ones who have access to these advantages effectively control Bitcoin.

After hours of discussions, we believe we have found the solution to the unfair mining advantages that produce centralization around certain jurisdictions that control the production of ASICS. We will be releasing much more information about this soon, but are feverishly working on this project for v12.1. We’re going to be releasing much more information about this in the coming weeks; it’s going to be a giant advantage for the Dash project.
volyova
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 01:10:37 AM

Yes, it was ASIC resistance.  Even from the very beginning Evan said he was hoping for 2 years without ASICs and strangely enough, that just what he got.  This is because the network needed to be strong enough for the change over, which it is.  This was not unforeseen.  

ASICs do strengthen the security of the network.  They do this by making it so much harder to mess with transactions via someone having the ability to double the hash between blocks, changing transactions, and getting the longest chain.  This could actually happen with a massively successful botnet that is kept idle except when needed, reducing the chance of people discovering the infection, increasing the spread of the bot and being able to control a ton of hash power for short periods of time.

And this is because only a very few of the world's computers are hashing, most people don't even know about crypto currencies, but they all have graphics cards that can be hijacked.

ASICs are usually not kept idle and thus, their high hash power would be very difficult, thousands of times harder, to double or triple. This makes the network more secure.

Anyway, Evan Duffield, our lead developer has said he and the team have come up with a potential solution that he will reveal soon.  Hopefully it'll pan out and we'll hear from him soon.  

One thing you can say about Dash, is that change is not something Dash fears.  Dash rolls with the changes (thanks RUSH)
Very noble and inspiring, I'm sure. But if you'd studied the real effects of ASICs on small and isolated networks, you wouldn't be so blase.
Riseman

Activity: 690
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 01:41:14 AM

Is anyone running the MN from a raspberry pi? Won't it get eventually overharmed for being turned on 24/7?

I don't but the thing is actually built for 24/7 operation.
TanteStefana2
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 02:00:00 AM

I don't but the thing is actually built for 24/7 operation.

I believe Mangled Blue is running one Smiley

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
tungfa
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1023

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 03:20:43 AM

Bitcoin is “the Slowest, Most Expensive, Least-Developed Currency”

http://www.financemagnates.com/cryptocurrency/education-centre/bitcoin-is-the-slowest-most-expensive-least-developed-currency/

fuzzyduck

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 06:51:45 AM

I'm running one for over a year now. 24/7. Still the same SD card without corruption.

Run a masternode on a raspberry pi 2 @home! Follow my noobfriendly tutorial @ https://dashtalk.org/threads/masternode-on-raspberry-pi-2-model-b.4083
AforAmethyst

Activity: 84

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 08:26:45 AM

I'm running one for over a year now. 24/7. Still the same SD card without corruption.

What's the spec of the SD card you are using? I tried running Linux off a USB flash drive a couple of years ago and after a while it failed. I think it had something to do with flash drives (and SD cards?) having limited rewriting capabilities. Your SD card sounds durable. 24/7 over a year is not bad.
semajjames

Activity: 528
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 11:45:48 AM

Very noble and inspiring, I'm sure. But if you'd studied the real effects of ASICs on small and isolated networks, you wouldn't be so blase.

ASICs have been in now for a couple weeks and GPU farms running on high powered kernels have been in for months and months if anything DASH network hash rate has gone down ,,, what is the issue
TanteStefana2
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 01:35:59 PM

ASICs have been in now for a couple weeks and GPU farms running on high powered kernels have been in for months and months if anything DASH network hash rate has gone down ,,, what is the issue

Undoubtedly, the ASICs were in use by the Chinese before being delivered.  They've done it with Bitcoin, they've done it with Litecoin no reason not to do it to X11 and Dash.

toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 02:08:54 PM

Not sure if this has already been posted here. Think it might have been.
Macno
Legendary

Activity: 984

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 02:20:17 PM

"We have also found that the Core development team is strongly supported by a censorship regime: all discussion on Bitcointalk and /r/bitcoin regarding competing implementations of the bitcoin protocol is aggressively censored. It is quite incredible that censorship, a method which is most commonly found within Leninist countries, has been so thoroughly implemented within the bitcoin community, which prides itself on liberty."

Thank god for Dash and the Masternodes.
TanteStefana2
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 03:02:03 PM

Actually, no, I hadn't seen this thank you.  I'm surprised and happy to see a mining pool leader tackle this.  I was under the impression that they were the ones at fault here, but apparently not.

qvan

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 03:06:07 PM

Undoubtedly, the ASICs were in use by the Chinese before being delivered.  They've done it with Bitcoin, they've done it with Litecoin no reason not to do it to X11 and Dash.

Pffffft! those are nothing compared to Evan and friends instamining the shit of DASH in the first 24 to 48 hours of DASH launch Tongue
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 03:08:14 PM

Actually, no, I hadn't seen this thank you.  I'm surprised and happy to see a mining pool leader tackle this.  I was under the impression that they were the ones at fault here, but apparently not.

The scientology comparison is hilarious. He's trying to be as polite as he can about it  Cheesy

TanteStefana2
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 03:16:55 PM

Actually, no, I hadn't seen this thank you.  I'm surprised and happy to see a mining pool leader tackle this.  I was under the impression that they were the ones at fault here, but apparently not.

The scientology comparison is hilarious. He's trying to be as polite as he can about it  Cheesy

We have guys on this project that are doing as much as Evan in Dash, but they don't have egos, are happy to be a part of an exciting team and never really say anything, except when they need to clarify that something the community thinks isn't being addressed, is.  So the atmosphere is so different here.  I sincerely hope it continues.  

I do wish there were an easier way for the community to see all that's going on.  But that's difficult.

dafdaf

Activity: 121

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 05:28:38 PM

troll beating a 48-month old dead horse

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
gerhard

Activity: 78

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 05:37:50 PM
Last edit: March 07, 2016, 07:51:50 PM by gerhard

troll beating a 48-month old dead horse

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yes. Anyone who brings up what they consider to be Dash's "original sin" gets an InstaIgnore(tm).
qwizzie
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 05:58:55 PM

Well, i think we can say goodbye to the dump part of our latest rise to power for now, nice little rebound.
And if we manage to get things stable around 0.012,  it can be considered a pretty nice jump upwards all in all....

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
Pages: « 1 ... 5722 5723 5724 5725 5726 5727 5728 5729 5730 5731 5732 5733 5734 5735 5736 5737 5738 5739 5740 5741 5742 5743 5744 5745 5746 5747 5748 5749 5750 5751 5752 5753 5754 5755 5756 5757 5758 5759 5760 5761 5762 5763 5764 5765 5766 5767 5768 5769 5770 5771 [5772] 5773 5774 5775 5776 5777 5778 5779 5780 5781 5782 5783 5784 5785 5786 5787 5788 5789 5790 5791 5792 5793 5794 5795 5796 5797 5798 5799 5800 5801 5802 5803 5804 5805 5806 5807 5808 5809 5810 5811 5812 5813 5814 5815 5816 5817 5818 5819 5820 5821 5822 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: