Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 08:07:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 [115] 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722629 times)
trogdorjw73

Activity: 482
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 10:07:54 PM

I'm finally building the windows binaries of the new CPU-miner. After that I'll try to improve the performances Smiley .

For who said that GPU version is always better. Maybe this is the case, maybe it's not. It depends if and how much the code can be parallelized.
I'll try to see what CPU can achieve. And if it's not enough, I'll study the convenience to mix CPU and GPU, if I'll see that some algo cant be well parallelized on the  GPU Smiley
So here's an interesting note:

Core i7-4670K gets about 410KHash/s on DRK while using around 77W
R9 290X gets about 2000KHash/s on DRK while using around 225W (?)

Clearly the GPU is faster and more efficient, but we're only looking at a different of about 40%. Unless someone can get a speedup out of the GPU miners to the point where it's more like 1000% more efficient, CPU mining should remain viable. Just my two cents. :-)

Sorry, but your assumptions are wrong. My 4 x R9 290 rig uses about 450W when idle and about 1450W when 100% busy mining scrypt coins. However when mining DRK it only uses 900W of power (so about 112W for each card) - due to the nature of calculations (lots of random memory access in 3 or 4 hash functions) full potential of GPU cores cannot be used and they use much less power. That means mining with GPU is over 300% more efficient.
Ok, but we have to compare with total wattage right?
4xR9 -> 900W/4= 225W, 2000khs/225 = 8.88 kh/sec for Watt
i7-4670k -> 77w, 410Khs/77 = 5.32 kh/sec for Watt

Surely then, it's easier a rig of GPUs than a rig of CPUs. But this for now it's a 30% improvement for Watt, depending on what CPUs and what GPUs.
So I want to see if there is a 30% margin to improve the cpu miner.

Let me know if you and the others think that I am wrong about something...
Yes, you are wrong again, because you didn't include total PC wattage in CPU calculations, just CPU wattage. I bet PC eats at least 200 W when running, so it would be 410Khs/200 = 2.05 kh/s per watt. Now CPU looks even worse.
Ok, do you measured 900W for the rig at the wall? Please, someone could mesaure a fast i7 or Xeon at the wall? Possibly a configuration without discrete GPU or other, just motherboard, cpu, disk? and ram.

P.S. I am just curious about this, I dont say that for sure it's in a way or in an other. I want to see if it's useful go to try to improve the cpu miner or not.

P.P.S. Someone that have a rent of Xeon instances can do the math Khs per $?
The reason I quoted a figure of 77W initially is because it's highly unlikely that you're only using a rig to CPU mine DRK -- unless you're an IT guy with a ton of systems sitting around that lack GPUs, of course. So in my case, let's say I have a Core i7-4770K with two R9 290X GPUs mining coins. It was using 650W to do just scrypt mining, and about 700W to do scrypt + DRK. So when you say you're using 900W for four GPUs, is that 900W with the CPU mining as well? If not, then you're still looking at maybe a 100% improvement in efficiency at most.

The bottom line is that as long as a coin can be mined and produce more profit than it requires in power, people will mine that coin -- be it with a CPU or a GPU or an ASIC. GPUs made CPU mining on SHA256 and scrypt unprofitable because they were 20-30 times as efficient; you're talking about maybe 2-3 times as efficient with DRK/X11, so GPUs are not as much of a threat. They're better, but not so much better as to make mining with anything else impractical.

Plus, as I implied earlier but didn't explicitly spell out, there are lots of coins to mine with GPUs but only a few you can do much with using CPUs. It's not like you have the choice of MAX, DOGE, PANDA, VTC, ad infinitum CPU mineable coins. DRK is currently the most profitable that I'm aware of.

TanteStefana

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

The Future Of Work

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 10:08:02 PM

You  know, my husband and I were laying in bed late one night with our touchpads and he read to me an article on silk road, they'd just been arrested.  so we thought Hummm, we don't really know about bitcoin... what's it all about?  We started reading things, got out of bed and I started putzing about with a bitcoin wallet, tried to figure out how to mine, etc... we went to sleep even later, and continued to try and understand how it all worked.  After about 3 or 4 days of that, we thought, oh, we should be looking at some new coins, it seems if you get in on the ground floor, and you catch a good one, you could make a lot of valuable coins.  So we started looking at what was coming up.  My husband saw this coin, and said, we should try it.  It was opening the next day, so I was ready, but didn't know what the heck I was doing really.  So I got on the band wagon wet behind the ears, and struggled to figure out what was going on.  I don't think I ever posted in the beginning, just struggled through by myself though other people were asking good questions.  Anyway, I only had my two machines, and it wasn't until last week I ventured VPC's, and only this weekend where I'm loading up on them.  So, I didn't make many due to my caution, though I did make some, and it's been a really great experience.

Who would have known, my first try at joining a fledgling coin would end up being such a fantastic coin!  Since then, I've learned so much, it's amazing!  And I have what I truly believe will be the most important coin around.  Finally, we did something right!

Thank you Eduffield.  In life, there is a lot of luck, and then there is a bit of moving on something when it presents itself, so you do have to take a leap of faith and JUST DO IT as Michael Jordan's ads used to say.  Thanks for the luck, the dedication, the idea, and everything!

And thanks to my hubby for seeing Xcoin just before launch!  LOL

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
The Future of Work. Decentralized.
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
traderman
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 10:10:39 PM

Once you get the cryptocoin bug, that is it, there is no going back! Also check out Gridcoin, you might like that too.

You  know, my husband and I were laying in bed late one night with our touchpads and he read to me an article on silk road, they'd just been arrested.  so we thought Hummm, we don't really know about bitcoin... what's it all about?  We started reading things, got out of bed and I started putzing about with a bitcoin wallet, tried to figure out how to mine, etc... we went to sleep even later, and continued to try and understand how it all worked.  After about 3 or 4 days of that, we thought, oh, we should be looking at some new coins, it seems if you get in on the ground floor, and you catch a good one, you could make a lot of valuable coins.  So we started looking at what was coming up.  My husband saw this coin, and said, we should try it.  It was opening the next day, so I was ready, but didn't know what the heck I was doing really.  So I got on the band wagon wet behind the ears, and struggled to figure out what was going on.  I don't think I ever posted in the beginning, just struggled through by myself though other people were asking good questions.  Anyway, I only had my two machines, and it wasn't until last week I ventured VPC's, and only this weekend where I'm loading up on them.  So, I didn't make many due to my caution, though I did make some, and it's been a really great experience.

Who would have known, my first try at joining a fledgling coin would end up being such a fantastic coin!  Since then, I've learned so much, it's amazing!  And I have what I truly believe will be the most important coin around.  Finally, we did something right!

Thank you Eduffield.  In life, there is a lot of luck, and then there is a bit of moving on something when it presents itself, so you do have to take a leap of faith and JUST DO IT as Michael Jordan's ads used to say.  Thanks for the luck, the dedication, the idea, and everything!

And thanks to my hubby for seeing Xcoin just before launch!  LOL
TanteStefana

The Future Of Work

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 10:13:13 PM

Ok, thank you Smiley

I checked it out, but unfortunately, it's economics and a new world currency that excites me.  I have an inherent distrust of organizations that "do good".  I volunteer to  help individuals and my community, but don't go outside that range.  It all started with United Way's squandering all their donations, I'll never recover from that.

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
HammerHedd

Activity: 168

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 10:14:17 PM

I'm finally building the windows binaries of the new CPU-miner. After that I'll try to improve the performances Smiley .

Ok, here the link for the Windows binaries -> https://mega.co.nz/#!pBZzQAII!yuvzhcnx3ezLre9fek_G67D0_IyiNqIbEHKY4cKdovA
Read the README for choose the right version for your processor.
Remember, only Windows 64 bit, and only for processors that supports at least AES-NI instructions.

P.S. I hate and I still hate compiling binaries on MinGW, I spent 2 days to set a working crosscompiling environment for this.
The problem was that new versions of build of MinGW64 have a gcc that is hard linked with a new pthread library, called libwinpthread, that it's not good for compiling this... thanks to ig0tik3d for pointing to me the working version of MinGW64...

If've got some problems...
It seem I don't have  the AES-NI.
I download the Intel Processor Identification Utility .
I 've got a Intel i7-2600 CPU@ 3.4Ghz
But in the TAB : CPU Technology I've got :
Intel AES new intructions  ----> No

Did mi processor din't support it or need new BIOS or something?
I'm working with win7 Home Premium

EDIT : in the intel page information about the precessor it's said that it can support.. will investigate with BIOS version and option...

EDIT2 : Yes, it was disable in the BIOS.
I enable it and use the : minerd-corei7-avx.exe

Yes it's much better:
before :
[2014-02-16 15:27:07] accepted: 4/4 (100.00%), 325.42 khash/s (yay!!!)
[2014-02-16 15:27:33] accepted: 5/5 (100.00%), 325.10 khash/s (yay!!!)
After:
[2014-02-16 15:37:24] accepted: 1/1 (100.00%), 414.77 khash/s (yay!!!)

Can you rememberme your DRK adress?

Thanks

Strange, it runs on my system, binds each of the threads, connects to stratum, then just quietly exits back to the shell... Any ideas?

EDIT: Aha, it is a bit tempermental on older processors. It runs fine on my 3770k

DRK: XepkHLT2MYTXSFDc2muiGeA9eRzG6ytpSy       P2Pool: stratum+tcp://darkcoin.kicks-ass.net:7903
BTC: 1LVE3pFpAhSrHbiK5hAUWDeVrB5UrPXRkJ                    http://darkcoin.kicks-ass.net
eduffield (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1036

Dash Developer

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 10:16:15 PM

You  know, my husband and I were laying in bed late one night with our touchpads and he read to me an article on silk road, they'd just been arrested.  so we thought Hummm, we don't really know about bitcoin... what's it all about?  We started reading things, got out of bed and I started putzing about with a bitcoin wallet, tried to figure out how to mine, etc... we went to sleep even later, and continued to try and understand how it all worked.  After about 3 or 4 days of that, we thought, oh, we should be looking at some new coins, it seems if you get in on the ground floor, and you catch a good one, you could make a lot of valuable coins.  So we started looking at what was coming up.  My husband saw this coin, and said, we should try it.  It was opening the next day, so I was ready, but didn't know what the heck I was doing really.  So I got on the band wagon wet behind the ears, and struggled to figure out what was going on.  I don't think I ever posted in the beginning, just struggled through by myself though other people were asking good questions.  Anyway, I only had my two machines, and it wasn't until last week I ventured VPC's, and only this weekend where I'm loading up on them.  So, I didn't make many due to my caution, though I did make some, and it's been a really great experience.

Who would have known, my first try at joining a fledgling coin would end up being such a fantastic coin!  Since then, I've learned so much, it's amazing!  And I have what I truly believe will be the most important coin around.  Finally, we did something right!

Thank you Eduffield.  In life, there is a lot of luck, and then there is a bit of moving on something when it presents itself, so you do have to take a leap of faith and JUST DO IT as Michael Jordan's ads used to say.  Thanks for the luck, the dedication, the idea, and everything!

Someday you'll hear people talking "Person A: I was into DarkCoin when it was called XCoin.  Person B: Oh wow!"

Well, hopefully. haha

Dash - Digital Cash | dash.org | dashfoundation.io | dashgo.io
TanteStefana

The Future Of Work

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 10:23:57 PM

LOL, hopefully.  Well, I dunno, I think this one is special.  I read up on stuff every night before bed, and look especially for negative reports on crypto currencies and I have a good feeling here.  I do look at other coins, and most of them I don't like at all.  Nxt, Frei (with demurrage?)  No thanks.  I don't trust the first and don't like artificial manipulation of the second.  I like a free market.  These may be new concepts and it's good that lots of things are being tried, but it's manipulation that we're trying to get away from in our country currencies. 

So I'll stay here Smiley

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
slyA

Activity: 126

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 10:25:30 PM

Someday you'll hear people talking "Person A: I was into DarkCoin when it was called XCoin.  Person B: Oh wow!"

Well, hopefully. haha

Oh sweet Jesus. Crypto currency hipsters are here already. "I knew dark coin before it was cool"
blaaaaacksuit

Merit: 250

Who cares?

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 10:34:07 PM

Well, hopefully. haha

Oh sweet Jesus. Crypto currency hipsters are here already. "I knew dark coin before it was cool"

Ill get the pabst blue ribbon!

But seriously, when anonymous is implemented, it will set the standard for other coins to follow, and follow and copy and paste they will.  We've got a winner here.
CHAOSiTEC
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 10:34:26 PM

LOL, hopefully.  Well, I dunno, I think this one is special.  I read up on stuff every night before bed, and look especially for negative reports on crypto currencies and I have a good feeling here.  I do look at other coins, and most of them I don't like at all.  Nxt, Frei (with demurrage?)  No thanks.  I don't trust the first and don't like artificial manipulation of the second.  I like a free market.  These may be new concepts and it's good that lots of things are being tried, but it's manipulation that we're trying to get away from in our country currencies. 

So I'll stay here Smiley

its amazing with all these alt coins, that we stumble upon one, that seems like its not drawing that much attention, but you get a good feel, because of several things, first off, there is no premine... so you think to yourself, well, this is a dev that doesnt want to just dump it, when he can get a good price for it, second thing, ohh.. look, he is using his normal user name, not some name like *coin or what not... later on, the dev starts asking to buy coins, now you know, he has great plans for it, and is putting his money where his mouth is :-)

node-vps.com - Tron / Masternode hosting services
bigrcanada

Activity: 588

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 10:37:29 PM

Well, hopefully. haha

hahahahahaha....LMOAF!!!!!!  that put the first big belly laugh I've had in a long time.  One forgets how good it feels to have a good laugh sometimes...I know feelings aren't based on facts or science, but its served me well in the last 20 years...right on guys keeping rocking!  Smiley

Proud lifetime DASH Foundation Member | First Brick & Mortar DASH Merchant |  Please visit DASH.org or DASHtalk.org for a list of merchants and information.
blaaaaacksuit

Merit: 250

Who cares?

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 10:44:08 PM

Are there any other cpu coins I can temporarily mine and then turn right around to sell for more dark coin?
bigrcanada

Activity: 588

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 10:46:33 PM

So I'll stay here Smiley

its amazing with all these alt coins, that we stumble upon one, that seems like its not drawing that much attention, but you get a good feel, because of several things, first off, there is no premine... so you think to yourself, well, this is a dev that doesnt want to just dump it, when he can get a good price for it, second thing, ohh.. look, he is using his normal user name, not some name like *coin or what not... later on, the dev starts asking to buy coins, now you know, he has great plans for it, and is putting his money where his mouth is :-)

Funny that you would say that...it was my first thoughts as well!  Using that ideology...group and myself are putting together the capital to start a small alt currency exchange with that exact thought process!  Being in Canada...I think it would be great that you could go to a brick and mortar office and meet the people that handle your exchanges & money...I think that is super important.  You can keep your financial affairs private...but those that handle your funds should always be accessable.... I have the beginings of a great team already that have done several banking institutional sites with ISO 9362 standards.  Missing is someone/peeps to create a great front end and logistics for the actual exchange.  Any thoughts on how this could be looked at would be great.

Proud lifetime DASH Foundation Member | First Brick & Mortar DASH Merchant |  Please visit DASH.org or DASHtalk.org for a list of merchants and information.
TanteStefana

The Future Of Work

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 10:52:06 PM

So I'll stay here Smiley

exactly, plus he gave a lot in the beginning to people who helped out, compiled windows, improved stuff, etc... then started buying, 'cause I suspect he looked at what he had and thought, oh crap, I need more! LOL

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 11:01:54 PM

http://cpu-pool.net

Not your keys, not your coins!
jl777
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1132

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 11:10:34 PM

Are there any other cpu coins I can temporarily mine and then turn right around to sell for more dark coin?
I just found this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=379601.0

Let me know if any work out, not sure about most of them yet

http://www.digitalcatallaxy.com/report2015.html
100+ page annual report for SuperNET
TanteStefana

The Future Of Work

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 11:15:28 PM

Funny that you would say that...it was my first thoughts as well!  Using that ideology...group and myself are putting together the capital to start a small alt currency exchange with that exact thought process!  Being in Canada...I think it would be great that you could go to a brick and mortar office and meet the people that handle your exchanges & money...I think that is super important.  You can keep your financial affairs private...but those that handle your funds should always be accessable.... I have the beginings of a great team already that have done several banking institutional sites with ISO 9362 standards.  Missing is someone/peeps to create a great front end and logistics for the actual exchange.  Any thoughts on how this could be looked at would be great.

Hire Eduffield, LOL  You might be the First Bank of Bitcoin (or Darkcoin)  How very cool!  Good luck on that, we need such institutions, badly!

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
TanteStefana

The Future Of Work

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 11:17:24 PM

That's exactly what I should do, but I can't find any that I'd make more off of than drk and it would require me to pull my resources to another, so... nope, not that I know of  Undecided

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
HammerHedd

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 11:19:45 PM

Dude, what rig are you running?! I can't come close to that.

DRK: XepkHLT2MYTXSFDc2muiGeA9eRzG6ytpSy       P2Pool: stratum+tcp://darkcoin.kicks-ass.net:7903
BTC: 1LVE3pFpAhSrHbiK5hAUWDeVrB5UrPXRkJ                    http://darkcoin.kicks-ass.net
HammerHedd

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 11:24:51 PM

So I'll stay here Smiley

I think the reason I like DRK is that the dev (and community) seems more thoughtful than hype- or mine-and-dump-minded. I'd like to see cryptocurrencies really succeed. I think (hope) that out of the pile of currencies with more or less similar setups, one will pull all the best features together and really bring this into the mainstream. And not just for speculation, but actually as a currency!

I get the same feeling here - this might just be the coin to do it!

Pages: « 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 [115] 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: