Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:47:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 6935 6936 6937 6938 6939 6940 6941 6942 6943 6944 6945 6946 6947 6948 6949 6950 6951 6952 6953 6954 6955 6956 6957 6958 6959 6960 6961 6962 6963 6964 6965 6966 6967 6968 6969 6970 6971 6972 6973 6974 6975 6976 6977 6978 6979 6980 6981 6982 6983 6984 [6985] 6986 6987 6988 6989 6990 6991 6992 6993 6994 6995 6996 6997 6998 6999 7000 7001 7002 7003 7004 7005 7006 7007 7008 7009 7010 7011 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722505 times)
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
September 12, 2021, 09:17:37 AM
Last edit: September 12, 2021, 12:22:13 PM by toknormal

There is very little risk using the Masternode Zeus (DMZ) because the node doesn't really keep any secrets and certainly no coins, you can review the code too, I think it is easier to assess than the DASH=MATE code. If you end up using DMZ, let me know how it went.

It works bootiful. Very nice utility. That's what's needed, a menu driven thing (or simple command driven like Dashman that doesn't contain show stoppers like "sh: 18: nvm: not found" or where the instructions in the main Dash documentation look totally different from the Github docs).

Would be good to evolve. I hope you got paid for it (from the Dash DAO  Wink It sure is better value than Ben Swan's 2000 Dash studio). Could do with a bit more error reporting, for example it reports "Sentinel: Failed" but thats it. How does one debug that ? The log is kind of ambiguous and low level - nothing obvious. Block height is current. (ok, looks like the wrong privkey - I entered the old one instead of the blsprivkey).

There is no menu option to start or restart the node. Raw dash-cli commands don't seem to work in the shell, is this because you have to go through Zeus ? Does the node startup and shutdown in sync with the utility or something like that ? (It doesn't seem to. So need to launch it from the shell it seems but dash-cli commands are responded to by "dash-cli: not found"). Does one need to be in a particular working directory for "dash-cli" to be recognised ? Or run some shell command to have them recognised ? Where are the binaries even stored these days ? (Tried /usr/bin, /home/dash, .dashcore, zeus home folder etc).

Code:
dash-cli: not found

Code:
dashd: not found

Code:
 sudo systemctl restart dashd...seems to try to do something but on re-launching Zeus, option 2 reports "Dashd Down"

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xkcdd

Activity: 214
Merit: 24

View Profile
September 12, 2021, 03:21:35 PM

It works bootiful. Very nice utility. That's what's needed, a menu driven thing (or simple command driven like Dashman that doesn't contain show stoppers like "sh: 18: nvm: not found" or where the instructions in the main Dash documentation look totally different from the Github docs).

Grin

Would be good to evolve. I hope you got paid for it (from the Dash DAO  Wink It sure is better value than Ben Swan's 2000 Dash studio). Could do with a bit more error reporting, for example it reports "Sentinel: Failed" but thats it. How does one debug that ? The log is kind of ambiguous and low level - nothing obvious. Block height is current. (ok, looks like the wrong privkey - I entered the old one instead of the blsprivkey).

No, I didn't ask for money from the DAO to do this, just trying to enrich the community organically, it is an interesting project for me.  There is an option to edit the dash.conf file from the menu, if you need to chance the bls key, in there would be the place to do it.  You are right, there is not option (yet?) to restart the dashd.  To do so, ideally reboot the VPS with
Code:
sudo reboot
or
Code:
sudo systemctl restart dashd
as the dashadmin user.

There is no menu option to start or restart the node. Raw dash-cli commands don't seem to work in the shell, is this because you have to go through Zeus ? Does the node startup and shutdown in sync with the utility or something like that ? (It doesn't seem to. So need to launch it from the shell it seems but dash-cli commands are responded to by "dash-cli: not found"). Does one need to be in a particular working directory for "dash-cli" to be recognised ? Or run some shell command to have them recognised ? Where are the binaries even stored these days ? (Tried /usr/bin, /home/dash, .dashcore, zeus home folder etc).

Code:
dash-cli: not found

Code:
dashd: not found

Code:
 sudo systemctl restart dashd...seems to try to do something but on re-launching Zeus, option 2 reports "Dashd Down"

The dashd is running as the user called 'dash' so to run the normal dash-cli commands, from the dashadmin account, first run
Code:
sudo su - dash
then as the dash user you can run all the standard commands eg
Code:
dash-cli getblockcount
note, not path or ./ is required.  The dashd binaries are installed to /opt/ on the filesystem, this is a good place to store binaries which we plan on keeping multiple versions (for rollback).

If after restarting the dashd or indeed rebooting the vps, the status of the dashd remains 'down', do check the log file, typically near the end, there will be a reason for the failure and it should be something you can fix, also, review/edit the dash.conf (from zeus) to ensure your BLS key is indeed the correct priv key.
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2021, 06:13:30 PM

The dashd is running as the user called 'dash' so to run the normal dash-cli commands, from the dashadmin account, first run
Code:
sudo su - dash
then as the dash user you can run all the standard commands eg
Code:
dash-cli getblockcount

ok, that moves me forward a bit. I now understand what that "dash" folder was under /home. It was a new user. It also now makes sense of those messages during zeus installation about "enter any password for the Dash user, doesn't matter what it is and you don't need to remember it". I didn't have a clue what "user" was being alluded to there when I installed it the first time.

So Zeus not only installs the core downloads, it also creates an admin user to run it. I can see that can be handy but it makes things a bit confusing without clear documentation. (You're writing the documentation as we speak Wink !)

For example I already created an admin user and put them in the sudoers before I even decided where I was going to get the Dash installation packages from. (lets call it "@tokuser"). So when I downloaded zeus and ran it, it all ran under that account. Then if I "su" into your dashadmin user, as you say you can launch dashd and so on. But I hit 2 problems there:

1. if you need to sudo a command while in the dashadmin user, it asks for the "dash" user password (the one the installation instructions say "just type anything, it isn't too important to remember". So I didn't bother remembering it)

2. to access the Zeus status monitor you need to switch ("su") back to the account that zeus was installed into (in my case "tokuser")

Is this how you envisaged it being used ? (Not a criticism, just asking). Am I missing some steps ?
xkcdd

View Profile
September 12, 2021, 06:56:16 PM

So Zeus not only installs the core downloads, it also creates an admin user to run it. I can see that can be handy but it makes things a bit confusing without clear documentation. (You're writing the documentation as we speak Wink !)

Yeah, it may not create the 'mno' user if your 'tokuser' is already there and has sudo.  If the zeus is run directly as 'root' it will create a 'mno' user.

For example I already created an admin user and put them in the sudoers before I even decided where I was going to get the Dash installation packages from. (lets call it "@tokuser"). So when I downloaded zeus and ran it, it all ran under that account. Then if I "su" into your dashadmin user, as you say you can launch dashd and so on. But I hit 2 problems there:

1. if you need to sudo a command while in the dashadmin user, it asks for the "dash" user password (the one the installation instructions say "just type anything, it isn't too important to remember". So I didn't bother remembering it)

2. to access the Zeus status monitor you need to switch ("su") back to the account that zeus was installed into (in my case "tokuser")

Is this how you envisaged it being used ? (Not a criticism, just asking). Am I missing some steps ?

Not sure about this, you can check what user accounts you have on your system with
Code:
awk -F ':' '/bash/{print $1}' /etc/passwd
doing a
Code:
sudo su - dash
from your tokuser or mno user (if it exists) should work with the password of the current user eg tokuesr or mno.

Once you are switched to the 'dash' user to return to the previous one, you have three options type in
Code:
exit
or
Code:
logout
or hold control and press the letter D (my favourite).
gadado2

Activity: 31
Merit: 5

View Profile
September 13, 2021, 06:05:13 AM

To do so, ideally reboot the VPS with
Code:
sudo reboot
or
Code:
sudo systemctl restart dashd
as the dashadmin user.

Oh that's handy. I know it's a bit the wrong place to ask but since you are a wizz with Linux and know/designed the zeus system I am using I might ask.

Can you create me a short script or something that automatical will reboot my VPN note every week once?
Didn't start looking up how I possible could do it but seems it can be done very easy on the node itself... if I knew linux  Grin Grin Undecided
xkcdd

View Profile
September 13, 2021, 11:50:11 AM

Can you create me a short script or something that automatical will reboot my VPN note every week once?
Didn't start looking up how I possible could do it but seems it can be done very easy on the node itself... if I knew linux  Grin Grin Undecided

Sure, first login as root or sudo to root with
Code:
sudo su -
  once you are root, copy/paste this one line to add a line to your crontab to reboot the VPS once a week.
Code:
{ crontab -l;echo "0 0 * * 0 reboot";}|crontab
you can check the crontab after it is done with
Code:
crontab -l
and note a line with the word reboot should appear there.  If you do this, it is important to make sure your dashd restarts after a rebooting, zeus sets this up.  If you are not sure if it restarts, do the reboot yourself manually and check that dashd runs again once it returns.  Rebooting once a weekly is not a bad idea because it frees used ram and clears out temporary files, but if your dashd is busy in a quorum when it reboots, this may get you a POSE score, so just keep note of that.
gadado2

View Profile
September 13, 2021, 09:33:45 PM

Code:

Awesome!  Grin Thank you!
It looks so cryptic I seriously thought no that can't be true and googled it!  Shocked
Dang linux is powerfull.

....  If you do this, it is important to make sure your dashd restarts after a rebooting, zeus sets this up.  If you are not sure if it restarts, do the reboot yourself manually and check that dashd runs again once it returns.  Rebooting once a weekly is not a bad idea because it frees used ram and clears out temporary files, but if your dashd is busy in a quorum when it reboots, this may get you a POSE score, so just keep note of that.

Yes I set it up not really with zeus but with your guides. Used Zeus later for the updates. I useually just go to vultr Webpage and click server reboot on their page not even opening the terminal. It is really nice how this all works!

Ah ok that's a point... can hit that short time span by chance ... Rebooting is fast though not sure how sensitve POSE is.
It is likely close to never happening. I will see. Smiley
xkcdd

View Profile
September 14, 2021, 08:49:11 AM

Ah ok that's a point... can hit that short time span by chance ... Rebooting is fast though not sure how sensitve POSE is.
It is likely close to never happening. I will see. Smiley

I agree with this, a reboot takes about 20 seconds, you would have to be extremely unlucky to get a POSE score in that time.  Grin
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2021, 11:55:46 AM

Ok, Zeus looks like it's working bootiful. Once you understand how the Dash-admin user works (+ need to issue a "protx update_service" transaction to re-sync the new IP).
xkcdd

View Profile
September 14, 2021, 12:41:39 PM

Ok, Zeus looks like it's working bootiful. Once you understand how the Dash-admin user works (+ need to issue a "protx update_service" transaction to re-sync the new IP).

Yep, I am planning on writing a guide on the forum on how to manage a mnode and all the keys without DMT, since I think we are moving to phase that out.  Currently the core devs are working on a Governance tab in the core wallet, which is a DMT killer IMO.  So, the ideal setup will be collateral on your ledger/trezor and all other keys on your core wallet.
gadado2

View Profile
September 14, 2021, 02:46:18 PM

Code:

blank reboot is not working.

It has to be:
Code:
{ crontab -l;echo "0 0 * * 0 /sbin/reboot";}|crontab

( Ignore the warning: no crontab for root )
(alternative: /sbin/shutdown -r +0)

If others want to use that too: It might be a good idea to change the first 0 which is the minute of the hour to any other number between 0 to 59 that not all nodes reset exactly at the same worst time: Sunday exact at midnight.
The second zero is the hour of the day (0..23)
the others you will have to look up by yourself

why the /sbin is required above but not for example for this:
Code:
{ crontab -l;echo "*/1 * * * * uptime > test.txt";}|crontab

which writes the time into the test.txt file every minute and I used for testing I have no idea.

To see if you have a crontab and what is in there use
Code:
crontab -l

If you want to delete the crontab:
Code:
crontab -r

Don't forget to go root first it doesn't work on your dash admin account:
Code:
sudo su -

thanks again to xkcdd Smiley

xkcdd

View Profile
September 14, 2021, 07:02:21 PM

blank reboot is not working.

It has to be:
Code:
{ crontab -l;echo "0 0 * * 0 /sbin/reboot";}|crontab

( Ignore the warning: no crontab for root )
(alternative: /sbin/shutdown -r +0)

why the /sbin is required above but not for example for this:
Code:
{ crontab -l;echo "*/1 * * * * uptime > test.txt";}|crontab

which writes the time into the test.txt file every minute and I used for testing I have no idea.

Actually, you are correct and I forgot about this detail, the reason is the shell in the crontab is set up with only a few paths, and not the sbin location, so the command I gave would throw an error about the command not found and not actually work, the full path is needed, or an extra line added to the crontab to append sbin to the PATH variable.  Smiley

Also, the reason I add crontab -l to the command I provide is so that it appends the reboot to your existing root crontab if it has one, if you are seeing an 'error' about no crontab for root, this is the reason why.
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2021, 11:23:13 PM

Yep, I am planning on writing a guide on the forum on how to manage a mnode and all the keys without DMT, since I think we are moving to phase that out.  Currently the core devs are working on a Governance tab in the core wallet, which is a DMT killer IMO.  So, the ideal setup will be collateral on your ledger/trezor and all other keys on your core wallet.

Nice. Could you also add a feature to slide the protocol reward sharing back towards mining so we can reflate the demand for our primary supply and start recovering some of the marketcap ranking we lost ?

That would be the killer feature.
Alexey45

Activity: 204
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 22, 2021, 02:42:53 PM

How's the marketing team doing, what's new?
Why is everyone silent?
The calm before the storm?
gadado2

View Profile
September 22, 2021, 03:03:49 PM

Ah to break the silence... here just a quick update from my server auto-reset experience.  Wink

That works perfect!!! No runaway CPU usage anymore.
CPU usage stays at around 10% on all nodes.
Instead weekly I choose to go more agressive with a daily reset.

The reason for daily: That way I don't have to check daily because it will reset anyway before any Pose can ever accumulate till up to a kick out.

Yes with that frequency it might hit 1 or 2 server reset quorum/pose collition a year a node..(guesswork. it could be caclulated) but that's nothing to worry about.
Pose is only a problem if your node does stay off for a few hours.
Observed no Pose till now or missed it in case there was already a collition.

I am very happy with that solution.  Grin
splawik21
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1005

DASH is the future of crypto payments!

View Profile
September 23, 2021, 07:31:47 AM
Last edit: September 23, 2021, 07:46:48 AM by splawik21

That's really cool!
Looking forward it.
Decentralised Liquidity coming to $DASH soon.
https://twitter.com/THORChain/status/1440826469840687105

BE SMART, USE DASH ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
xkcdd

View Profile
September 23, 2021, 03:02:37 PM

Ah to break the silence... here just a quick update from my server auto-reset experience.  Wink

That works perfect!!! No runaway CPU usage anymore.
CPU usage stays at around 10% on all nodes.
Instead weekly I choose to go more agressive with a daily reset.

The reason for daily: That way I don't have to check daily because it will reset anyway before any Pose can ever accumulate till up to a kick out.

Yes with that frequency it might hit 1 or 2 server reset quorum/pose collition a year a node..(guesswork. it could be caclulated) but that's nothing to worry about.
Pose is only a problem if your node does stay off for a few hours.
Observed no Pose till now or missed it in case there was already a collition.

I am very happy with that solution.  Grin

Man, this is great, Grin  can you keep us posted on this?  I might add it to the dash masternode zeus since it does seem like the dashd has a memory leak when left running for weeks at a time.
Alexey45

View Profile
September 24, 2021, 06:43:30 AM

How do you like this idea?
Create your stablelocoin DASHUSD or Euro DASHEUR. Same as USDT or Binance USD.
Exchange DASH coins for DASH stablecoin and be sure that no one can block or nullify savings in stable dollars and euros.
sujonali1819
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1189

Need Campaign Manager?PM on telegram @sujonali1819

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2021, 04:09:02 PM

How's the marketing team doing, what's new?
Why is everyone silent?
The calm before the storm?
People are silent here due to the market condition Imo. Dash is not acting what actually the investor expected according to other Altcoins ETH, LTC etc. And it's normal keep silent during market bearish and do crowd during bullish market.

That's really cool!
Looking forward it.
Decentralised Liquidity coming to $DASH soon.
https://twitter.com/THORChain/status/1440826469840687105
This one is really a big news for Dash. We are curiously waiting to see this announcement.

.BLACKJACK ♠ FUN.
█████████
██████████████
████████████
█████████████████
████████████████▄▄
░█████████████▀░▀▀
██████████████████
░██████████████
████████████████
░██████████████
████████████
███████████████░██
██████████
CRYPTO CASINO &
SPORTS BETTING
Alexey45

View Profile
September 25, 2021, 01:33:23 AM

How do you like this idea?
Create your stablelocoin DASHUSD or Euro DASHEUR. Same as USDT or Binance USD.
Exchange DASH coins for DASH stablecoin and be sure that no one can block or nullify savings in stable dollars and euros.

Make a Masternode from 100 DASH
And then money will flow like a river, and capitalization will grow!
Pages: « 1 ... 6935 6936 6937 6938 6939 6940 6941 6942 6943 6944 6945 6946 6947 6948 6949 6950 6951 6952 6953 6954 6955 6956 6957 6958 6959 6960 6961 6962 6963 6964 6965 6966 6967 6968 6969 6970 6971 6972 6973 6974 6975 6976 6977 6978 6979 6980 6981 6982 6983 6984 [6985] 6986 6987 6988 6989 6990 6991 6992 6993 6994 6995 6996 6997 6998 6999 7000 7001 7002 7003 7004 7005 7006 7007 7008 7009 7010 7011 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: