Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 09:52:39 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 [247] 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 ... 484 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [NEM] NEM -New Economy Movement - No Envy Movement - Updates+Discussion thread  (Read 661424 times)
jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 01:22:28 AM

True. You can save your coins on your PC with offspring.

For those of you new to digital currencies and maybe hoping to get a sizeable amount of NEM... I thought I would correct this and add a few points.

You never 'save' your coins on your PC, you never actually possess them - you 'save' the 'keys' or 'passphrase' to your coins in a wallet if the client implements this - usually the wallet is encrypted with an easier to remember, but still strong password.

You can use your 'passphrase' anywhere with any client as long as you can input it into the client.

Your 'passphrase' is NOT a 'password' is has to be very strong and usually 20 ideally 30+ characters which is why you store it in a wallet and BACKUP the wallet please..

I will one up this. People say they are storing there bitcoins in "cold storage" or "off line" but they way I understand it, that's not really true. With nxt or NEM or even bitcoin, you can never have a coin on your computer. In all three systems, all the coins always exist only on the blockchain.  This is one reason they are not able to be counterfeited. (People simply can't just add extra conks to the blockchain as this only happens under very precise circumstances that are easily observed) What people control on their computer are the keys to move coins to one place on the ledger to another place, but they coins themselves don't ever leave the ledger. Bitcoin uses "wallets" which are basically fancy programs for managing and storing passwords that unlock the ability to move the coins. Nxt just forces people to use a really difficult password. Both systems provide protection via their complexity, though the complexity manifests in different avenues.

I might be wrong as I'm new at this. If so, please correct me.

jnada

Activity: 310
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 01:59:32 AM

Guys, there is an interesting discussion about NEM vs NXT created my a stakeholder. A few people have said and asked very interesting questions.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=555401.0

if you have something to contribute to the discussion please join  Wink

Yea, I was watching this thread and didn't expected you will get 5 pages in 1 day and almost no trolling.
This sounds promising.

BTW - I feel like the best way to promote our NEM will be as usual giveaway.
Everyone who is active on some forums should offer free NEMs to others.

If we spent for giveaway only 1% of our stake coins NEM - we may easilly overthrow NXT.
Strength of any currency lying in mass adoption. Don't be to greedy and think abouy it to be ready right after we start. Smiley

NEM                                        NEM                                          NEM                            launch on 22nd November 2014 !                                          TAQDPC-BT35MC-YAWTKQ-OFEZOS-CMBKHM-F5Q3L6-YEYL
blinkxzero

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 02:01:15 AM

Guys, there is an interesting discussion about NEM vs NXT created my a stakeholder. A few people have said and asked very interesting questions.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=555401.0

if you have something to contribute to the discussion please join  Wink

Yea, I was watching this thread and didn't expected you will get 5 pages in 1 day and almost no trolling.
This sounds promising.

BTW - I feel like the best way to promote our NEM will be as usual giveaway.
Everyone who is active on some forums should offer free NEMs to others.

If we spent for giveaway only 1% of our stake coins NEM - we may easilly overthrow NXT.
Strength of any currency lying in mass adoption. Don't be to greedy and think abouy it to be ready right after we start. Smiley

For sure a good call. Holding and being generous will lead to adoption if people are passionate about it. But make sure not everyone holds or it won't be used Wink

utopianfuture (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 268

Internet of Value

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 02:58:42 AM
Last edit: April 04, 2014, 03:14:44 AM by utopianfuture

I find it impertinent first to attract the people to get great attention, and now that NEM seems to be very popular to tell people that they should participate, and that newcomers in the cryptoscene are not suitable!

Sorry for this harsh words, but that's my opinion, and I think I'm not the only one!

Anyway, I stand behind NEM, and will do everything to support this project!

There is a consequence (legal) to use the term IPO and consider NEM as an investment. It is not correct as well because of the way NEM is conceptualized and NEM is a decentralized entity. The term that I has been using so far is "a call for participation"and that means all stakeholders should contribute to build NEM network and NEM community. This idea was there since the beginning but it might not get the attention so I stressed it again from times to times.

To the question of what to contribute. It is entirely up to you. Since NEM is decentralized, no one has any formal authority over others. If you are a developer and want to work on NEM codes with other core developers then we would be very happy to have you. But it is not necessary and you are welcome to contribute in a simple, small and individualistic way. It is perfectly fine as long as you don't consider yourself an investor and expect others to produce certain results.  

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
█████████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
  TomoChain  •    •  TomoChain 
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
amdfxman1701

Activity: 367

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 03:16:07 AM

I was advised by my cousin that told me how to get signed up for this NEM currency that I should go online and I should go on this board and that I should post in this thread if I wanted to keep my place in line for this IPO or else someone would steal it from me.  Why would this happen?

This is not an IPO. You are expected to contribute so you might not be suitable if you are new to the crypto scene.

I do mean every stakeholders are expected to contribute in building NEM. It does not necessarily mean you need to contribute something right now since you could help NEM in the future by running nodes, spreading the words etc. The key word is that stakeholders are expected to contribute at some point. If you think of it as an IPO and you are an investor, then NEM is not for you at this phase.  
In short, stakeholders = contributors. Investors = someone putting money in and expect others to do the works, coding, promoting etc. This should be made clear.

I'm still a bit confused by this statement! What should i do exactly to Contribute in NEM?

Very good question. What's the consequence for "not contributing?" And who determines what a contribution is and how it is scored?

*EDIT*

Cleared a bit in above post.

█  ▄▄▄  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ▀▀▀  █
█  ▄▄▄  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ▀▀▀  █
R  E  P  U  B  L  I  A
PRE-SALE :  23.08 - 23.09
█  ▄▄▄  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ▀▀▀  █

█  █
█  █
█  █
█  █
█  █
█  █
█  █
█  █
█  █
   █
   █
Highly Efficient Technology
Secure & Transparent
Full Democracy
█  ▄▄▄  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ███  █
█  ▀▀▀  █
degxtra1

Activity: 228
Merit: 46

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 04:36:07 AM

I wish to contact with person responsible for NeM website - may contribute with translation.
Fatih87SK

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 05:05:18 AM

True. You can save your coins on your PC with offspring.

For those of you new to digital currencies and maybe hoping to get a sizeable amount of NEM... I thought I would correct this and add a few points.

You never 'save' your coins on your PC, you never actually possess them - you 'save' the 'keys' or 'passphrase' to your coins in a wallet if the client implements this - usually the wallet is encrypted with an easier to remember, but still strong password.

You can use your 'passphrase' anywhere with any client as long as you can input it into the client.

Your 'passphrase' is NOT a 'password' is has to be very strong and usually 20 ideally 30+ characters which is why you store it in a wallet and BACKUP the wallet please..

I will one up this. People say they are storing there bitcoins in "cold storage" or "off line" but they way I understand it, that's not really true. With nxt or NEM or even bitcoin, you can never have a coin on your computer. In all three systems, all the coins always exist only on the blockchain.  This is one reason they are not able to be counterfeited. (People simply can't just add extra conks to the blockchain as this only happens under very precise circumstances that are easily observed) What people control on their computer are the keys to move coins to one place on the ledger to another place, but they coins themselves don't ever leave the ledger. Bitcoin uses "wallets" which are basically fancy programs for managing and storing passwords that unlock the ability to move the coins. Nxt just forces people to use a really difficult password. Both systems provide protection via their complexity, though the complexity manifests in different avenues.

I might be wrong as I'm new at this. If so, please correct me.

Alright. Thanks guys. I'm quite new (dec 2013) and not  technical so I shouldn't answered the question in the first place.

Learned a lot though.

gimre
Legendary

Activity: 866
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 06:24:45 AM

+ POI

Where could I read more about it? I contacted utopianfuture regarding some issues related to POI but got no answer. He is not a tech guy, so I should contact a developer. Who is writing the core?

btw, has NXT whitepaper benn finally published?

NemusExMāchinā
Catapult docs: https://docs.symbol.dev
github: https://github.com/symbol
patmast3r

Activity: 980

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 09:07:56 AM

I find it impertinent first to attract the people to get great attention, and now that NEM seems to be very popular to tell people that they should participate, and that newcomers in the cryptoscene are not suitable!

Sorry for this harsh words, but that's my opinion, and I think I'm not the only one!

+100000

Yeah. Telling people that are part of a movement they should participate - that's outrageous Grin
Who said newcomvers are not suitable ?

Please always quote the post you're refering to. Sometimes it feels people are just making stuff up.

ashapasa

Activity: 420

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 09:17:07 AM

This is a qoute from a poster form the NEM vs NXT thread.

One of the problems NEM is going to have is that it's going to be sandwiched in between NXT and Etherium when it launches.

NXT and Etherium are in some ways complimentary in the sense that NXT has "out of the box" features that get up and running quickly whereas Etherium will have a rich "Javascript for Blockchains" type language which will be used for advanced contract based transactions.

By that time, NXT might just have enough traction to carve itself a market presence alongside all the hype and bluster that Etherium will bring. NEM will get launched into the shadow of Etherium - a massivly more advanced technology than anything that has gone before and NXT which will have had nearly a year's worth of smoothing out bugs, gaining brand recognition and capturing new business (hopefully).

Is Etherium really as revolutionary as this guy makes it out to be ? Can some of the more knowledgeable posters please enlighten me on how they are so much better than both NXT & NEM potentially ( since Etherium is yet to be released)
bitmadaboutcoin

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 09:30:17 AM
Last edit: April 04, 2014, 10:22:25 AM by bitmadaboutcoin

This is a qoute from a poster form the NEM vs NXT thread.

One of the problems NEM is going to have is that it's going to be sandwiched in between NXT and Etherium when it launches.

NXT and Etherium are in some ways complimentary in the sense that NXT has "out of the box" features that get up and running quickly whereas Etherium will have a rich "Javascript for Blockchains" type language which will be used for advanced contract based transactions.

By that time, NXT might just have enough traction to carve itself a market presence alongside all the hype and bluster that Etherium will bring. NEM will get launched into the shadow of Etherium - a massivly more advanced technology than anything that has gone before and NXT which will have had nearly a year's worth of smoothing out bugs, gaining brand recognition and capturing new business (hopefully).

Is Etherium really as revolutionary as this guy makes it out to be ? Can some of the more knowledgeable posters please enlighten me on how they are so much better than both NXT & NEM potentially ( since Etherium is yet to be released)

nope... nxt will be able to do everything ethereum can and maybe more... nxt will use automated transactions, where as all ethereum transactions will be turing complete...

because nxt will use automated transactions aswell as regular ones.. it can pick and chose which tx type is right for the task in hand.. minimizing the amount of data needed for certain transactions

ALL of ethereum transactions will be turing complete.. meaning all transactions will have a higher byte size.. regular(like just sending ether to someone) transactions dont need turing complete.. therefore using more bytes for the transaction then necessary.

im not sure of the full pros/cons of being fully turing complete compared to only select transactions being turing complete but im nearly certain it puts ethereum on the back foot.

someone asked before in this thread about whether NEM will be turing complete and the devs reply was basically that nem wont use automated transactions but he said they will be able to do all the same stuff.. cant remember the term he used but i was happy with his answer... it will be a while before automated transactions are implemented in nxt and ethereum wont launch til Q4 of 2104 so in saying this if NEM launches with this feature it will actually be ahead of NXT and ethereum in terms of turing complete/automated transactions..

there is also ALLOT of hype around ethereum and very high expectations.. i think allot of people think that ethereum will have "many" features that other 2nd gen coins dont have and as far as i know thats simply wrong.

iv also herd many times that they have backing from a large bank... which is a strength and weakness at the same time.

ashapasa

Activity: 420

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 09:50:55 AM

+100000

Yeah. Telling people that are part of a movement they should participate - that's outrageous Grin

Please always quote the post you're refering to. Sometimes it feels people are just making stuff up.

He did not make this up, UP said that a couple of pages back. There is nothing wrong for a call of participation, but suggesting a stakeholder he might not be suitable is not cool. Everyone was welcome to be a stakeholder, its NEMs most attractive draw. I understand UP has to deal with a ton of crap and any one can loss their cool once in a while and I hope its just that.

Fatih87SK

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 09:55:28 AM

+100000

He did not make this up, UP said that a couple of pages back. There is nothing wrong for a call of participation, but suggesting a stakeholder he might not be suitable is not cool. Everyone was welcome to be a stakeholder, its NEMs most attractive draw. I understand UP has to deal with a ton of crap and any one can loss their cool once in a while and I hope its just that.

Maybe he was referring to the people who are on the waiting list. Who knows...

mikesbmw

Activity: 338

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 10:21:13 AM

I do mean every stakeholders are expected to contribute in building NEM. It does not necessarily mean you need to contribute something right now since you could help NEM in the future by running nodes, spreading the words etc. The key word is that stakeholders are expected to contribute at some point. If you think of it as an IPO and you are an investor, then NEM is not for you at this phase.  
In short, stakeholders = contributors. Investors = someone putting money in and expect others to do the works, coding, promoting etc. This should be made clear.

Could clarify this?

- What do you expect?
- When do you expect this?
- How are you going to enforce stakeholders to contribute?

NXT: Next Generation of Cryptocurrency http://nxtcrypto.org
NEM:New Economy Movement http://www.ournem.com/
patmast3r

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 11:00:24 AM

I didn't want to imply that he made something up. I just meant that sometimes it feels like that. Like recently when suddenly everyone said inactive people are going to kicked out.

I think this is what you guys are refering to:

I don't think that is the same as saying someone is not suitable but I guess that's up for interpretation.

Could clarify this?

1. What do you expect?
2. When do you expect this?
3. How are you going to enforce stakeholders to contribute?

1. Pretty much anything that helps NEM.
e.g.
  • running a node
  • spreading the word
  • joining the swarm team
  • discussing ideas in the forum

simply stuff you do when your excited about something.

2. I guess whenever you have time and feel like it. Many people are discussing things and sharing ideas already.

3. Don't think it will be enforced. It's just very much encouraged.

I don't get why this is causing such a fuzz.

mikesbmw

Activity: 338

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 11:36:52 AM

I don't think that is the same as saying someone is not suitable but I guess that's up for interpretation.

Could clarify this?

1. What do you expect?
2. When do you expect this?
3. How are you going to enforce stakeholders to contribute?

1. Pretty much anything that helps NEM.
e.g.
  • running a node
  • spreading the word
  • joining the swarm team
  • discussing ideas in the forum

simply stuff you do when your excited about something.

2. I guess whenever you have time and feel like it. Many people are discussing things and sharing ideas already.

3. Don't think it will be enforced. It's just very much encouraged.

I don't get why this is causing such a fuzz.

Okay, then we are clear on those points (if UtopianFuture (NEM) agrees)

This is causing "a fuzz" for me, because it gets emphasized again and again, so I had to ask.

NXT: Next Generation of Cryptocurrency http://nxtcrypto.org
NEM:New Economy Movement http://www.ournem.com/
patmast3r

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 11:53:56 AM

I This is causing "a fuzz" for me, because it gets emphasized again and again, so I had to ask.

It's being nemphasized again and again because it s very nemportant. People are always saying how great it is that NEM has such a big community and how that is going to contribute to it's success. How much is it going to contribute if most of the community are only investors that aren't willing to do anything ?

Mageant
Legendary

Activity: 1145

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 12:11:58 PM

Another thing I would like to suggest for NEM is that the addresses have checksums. NXT does not have this.
It makes it safer if a user mistypes or doesn't copy an address properly.

cjgames.com
Jaguar0625

Activity: 299

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 12:18:53 PM

Another thing I would like to suggest for NEM is that the addresses have checksums. NXT does not have this.
It makes it safer if a user mistypes or doesn't copy an address properly.

That's in the plan.

NEM - nem.io
utopianfuture (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 268

Internet of Value

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 12:20:03 PM

+100000

There is no difference between newcomers and veterans. I would welcome both as always. There is a difference between participants and investors. If you are an investor and looks for an investment, NEM is not for you at this phase. Investors are welcomed when all NEM are distributed and trading starts. Additionally for a similar reason, there was no NEM IPO but rather "a call for participation". For all other fundraising, you send in a certain amount of money and you get an equivalent of coins/ shares etc. the more money you send in, the more coin you will get and that's how an IPO looks likes as you buy the shares in the public offering.

There was no NEM IPO in that sense. In NEM fundraising, the fee/ donation is more like to establish the eligibility to participate. Stakeholders are participants not investors.

There is a certain subtlety in my wording and there is a good reason for that. I hope everyone understand and support NEM.

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
  TomoChain  •    •  TomoChain 
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
Pages: « 1 ... 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 [247] 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 ... 484 »
  Print  

Jump to: