Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:20:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 [312] 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 ... 725 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Spondoolies-Tech - carrier grade, data center ready mining rigs  (Read 1260001 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
opentoe
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2014, 02:15:56 AM

Video of our DC, with a bit of SP30 and SP10 action at around 3m00s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rQ-YIDmsBc

Hey guys, glad to see you are getting things together. I hope to be there soon. One question, I know the SP10's get REAL hot on the bottom. Too hot to even touch it. I don't know if the SP30 is like that or not. When you mount multiple SP10's in one rack are the bottoms physically touching another SP10 top? If so, does that even make a difference since your cooling is really efficient there?
Thanks.

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
opentoe
Legendary

Activity: 1274

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2014, 02:22:58 AM

Terribly sorry for all the posts together, but when I'm trying to catch up on the thread and want to respond that's how this forums behaves. As it should have been upgraded with donations a very long time ago.

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
jtoomim

Activity: 818
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2014, 02:26:28 AM
Last edit: August 24, 2014, 03:26:22 PM by ckolivas

Hey guys, glad to see you are getting things together. I hope to be there soon. One question, I know the SP10's get REAL hot on the bottom. Too hot to even touch it. I don't know if the SP30 is like that or not. When you mount multiple SP10's in one rack are the bottoms physically touching another SP10 top? If so, does that even make a difference since your cooling is really efficient there?
Thanks.

The bottoms do get hot, but the tops normally do not. In our DC, the bottoms don't get quite as hot because the tops of the machines below act as heatsinks. The overall effect on cooling capacity is pretty small, though, since the surface areas of the tops and bottoms are small compared to the surface area of the actual heatsinks inside the SP10.

SP30 cases do not get hot at all.

If you're having difficulty keeping up with a bunch of posts, you can just edit your most recent post and add stuff to it. Makes things much easier to read for others. Also, you can trim your quotations to keep only the relevant bits. That saves space too.

Hosting bitcoin miners for $65 to $80/kW/month on clean, cheap hydro power.
http://Toom.im
Guy Corem (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1051

Spondoolies, Beam & DAGlabs

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2014, 03:39:47 AM
Last edit: August 24, 2014, 03:26:56 PM by ckolivas

That's how Bitmaintech sells from stock. They have to mine themselves so they can sell from stock. You guys couldn't sell from stock and if you wanted to, you might throw up a farm for yourself so you could. I like both companies and support is much better with SP-TECH but in the long run once you become old and cynical like me you get tired of the pre-order game. That's all.
So you're suggesting we'll build huge farms and pre-mime ourselves on customers hardware before shipping it like Bitmaintech ?
mmm. Let me think about it. Let's say I want to produce 5,000 SP31 in December (just an example, not a real batch number)
I'll need a 15MW farm.
Ok, I'm convinced we'll build it. But if we're building 15MW, why not build 150MW?
Why do I need to sell the miners?
I'll do more money by mining myself over few months.

I'm cynical here myself.

Buying from any manufacturer with farm just hastened the centalrization of the network.
BitFury, KNC, Cointerra, Bitmaintech.

If one of those will think it got technology and cost advantage they'll stop selling and do only self mining. They're using hardware sell as a mean towards increasing their own farm percentage in the total network hash-rate.

Buying from any of the above is scrarifying the long term for short term gain.

Guy

New Mimblewimble implementation: https://www.beam.mw
Spondoolies is now part of Blockstream: https://blog.blockstream.com/en-blockstream-mining-builds-momentum-with-spondoolies-acquisition/
Kaspa is a POW cryptocurrencty which implements GhostDAG protocol: https://kaspanet.org/
Guy Corem (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2014, 03:58:20 AM

...He made Spondoolie a lot of money and he was compensated I think it was 18BTC I read...
You did an impressive catchup but both statements are untrue.

I don't consider the groupbuy a commercial success. It was a good PR at the time though:

- We're honoring the 200 units price pointe although considerably less than 200 were paid for.
- RoadStress donated 90% of the reservation fees.

I don't intend to repeat such GBs in the near future. We'll honour all our obligations including August shipping, Titan hosting and compensation for the missing hash-rate.

Guy

Spondoolies is now part of Blockstream: https://blog.blockstream.com/en-blockstream-mining-builds-momentum-with-spondoolies-acquisition/
Kaspa is a POW cryptocurrencty which implements GhostDAG protocol: https://kaspanet.org/
jimmothy

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 04:26:55 AM

So you're suggesting we'll build huge farms and pre-mime ourselves on customers hardware before shipping it like Bitmaintech ?
mmm. Let me think about it. Let's say I want to produce 5,000 SP31 in December (just an example, not a real batch number)
I'll need a 15MW farm.
Ok, I'm convinced we'll build it. But if we're building 15MW, why not build 150MW?
Why do I need to sell the miners?
I'll do more money by mining myself over few months.

I also think you should build a farm and sell from stock.

If you are building your own farm you won't be able to afford a 150MW farm plain and simple. If you could, you wouldn't have had to take preorders in the first place.

I'm cynical here myself.

Buying from any manufacturer with farm just hastened the centalrization of the network.

If one of those will think it got technology and cost advantage they'll stop selling and do only self mining. They're using hardware sell as a mean towards increasing their own farm percentage in the total network hash-rate.

Buying from any of the above is scrarifying the long term for short term gain.

Guy

I don't think buying from bitmain, cointerra, or knc is centralizing the network but that depends on your definition. Each of those companies is mining with less than 5% of the total hashrate which is perfectly safe. (I personally think bitfury at ~20% is not a problem but some might.)

I think Dave Carlson has the right idea with his franchising program and I'm interested to hear how you will be responding to it. It's like self mining while spreading the hashrate.

Bitmain is also a great example of how a company can have it's own giant farm and do hardware sales without a hitch.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 04:31:59 AM
Last edit: August 24, 2014, 03:27:33 PM by ckolivas

You did an impressive catchup but both statements are untrue.

I don't consider the groupbuy a commercial success. It was a good PR at the time though:

- We're honoring the 200 units price pointe although considerably less than 200 were paid for.
- RoadStress donated 90% of the reservation fees.

I don't intend to repeat such GBs in the near future. We'll honour all our obligations including August shipping, Titan hosting and compensation for the missing hash-rate.

Guy

Again thanks for that Guy.

Still waiting patiently for news.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 04:34:23 AM

Buying from any of the above is scarifying the long term for short term gain.

Guy

Very important to note that aspect. It benefits everyone, except those companies, if we buy from Spondoolies-Tech like fabricators only if there are enough customers that can spread that hash rate out... are there really enough customers to do that and effectively help decentralize the network? I hope there are but the problem would persist if you have 1 or 2 significantly large customers of SPTech and I don't think you would mind selling to such customers right?

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Guy Corem (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2014, 05:02:05 AM

Our business plan is different. We want to keep technology edge over the competition and allowing our customers to beat the curve by pre-ordering our superior tech. We had production issue with our 2nd gen, which we're compensating for.
I do believe that even with the first slow corner batches of RockerBox, we currently have the best $/GHs ratio in the industry.

We prefer to have partners operating DCs for our customers. It's not our core competence. It also help de-centralising the network and help the eco-system.

I don't think buying from bitmain, cointerra, or knc is centralizing the network but that depends on your definition. Each of those companies is mining with less than 5% of the total hashrate which is perfectly safe. (I personally think bitfury at ~20% is not a problem but some might.)
Beside Bitmaintech, I know a lot of the other players plan. If one of them will succeed, it won't be good to the eco-system.
I do believe I understand Bitmaintech strategy. I suspect that one day soon they'll stop selling like the rest.
(Disclaimer: I'm under NDAs)

I think Dave Carlson has the right idea with his franchising program and I'm interested to hear how you will be responding to it. It's like self mining while spreading the hashrate.
Dave is a great guy. I would gladly supply miners to his program. I don't think it will succeed. It's a PR stunt for raising funds.

Guy Corem (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2014, 05:05:38 AM
Last edit: August 24, 2014, 03:27:52 PM by ckolivas

Very important to note that aspect. It benefits everyone, except those companies, if we buy from Spondoolies-Tech like fabricators only if there are enough customers that can spread that hash rate out... are there really enough customers to do that and effectively help decentralize the network? I hope there are but the problem would persist if you have 1 or 2 significantly large customers of SPTech and I don't think you would mind selling to such customers right?
We do have large customers. The real threat is that one self-mining ASIC provider will be able to produce a killer ASIC.
Everyone of them are trying. Buying from them help their deployment and R&D efforts. As I wrote short-term gain, scarifying the long-term.

Guy Corem (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2014, 05:41:32 AM

If you are building your own farm you won't be able to afford a 150MW farm plain and simple. If you could, you wouldn't have had to take preorders in the first place.
Spondoolies-Tech have clear technological advantage now. We have much more impressive 3rd and 4th gen under development.
I think that if we wanted to raise funds for mega farms, BitFury style, we could have done that.
KNC is doing that right now for example. So are other players.
BitFury doesn't need to do that, but fortunately, they are very delayed with their next gens.

I don't think it's good for the Bitcoin ecosystem at all.

KNC has proven track record of treating the ecosystem as a retirement fund.
CoinTerra switched to self mining (and selling unprofitable cloud contracts) and exchanges to fiat heavily on the open exchanges, exactly like KNC.
BitFury at least has the sense not to exchange in the exchanges (selling at 5% markup for high net-worth individuals who wants newly mined coins), but BitFury have unclear past and are partly responsible for the CEX.IO fiasco. I don't think they can be trusted not to harm the ecosystem.

Collider

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 05:48:25 AM

I don´t think encouraging ASIC manufacturers building a farm is helping out the mining ecosystem.

Quite simply put, private mining would be dead if only one large scale manufacturer remained who is willing to sell to smaller customers.

Building a large farm also binds a lot of capital, which would be much needed in R&D aswell as increasing production in the meantime.

To keep up with ASIC development, you would need to raise additional capital somehow, and that wouldn´t neccessarily benefit the smaller miners either.
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3843

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 06:05:21 AM
Last edit: August 24, 2014, 03:28:16 PM by ckolivas

Spondoolies-Tech have clear technological advantage now. We have much more impressive 3rd and 4th gen under development.
I think that if we wanted to raise funds for mega farms, BitFury style, we could have done that.
BitFury doesn't need to do that, but fortunately, they are very delayed with their next gens.

CoinTerra switched to self mining (and selling unprofitable cloud contracts) and exchanges to fiat heavily on the open exchanges, exactly like KNC.
BitFury at least has the sense not to exchange in the exchanges (selling at 5% markup for high net-worth individuals who wants newly mined coins), but BitFury have unclear past and are partly responsible for the CEX.IO fiasco. I don't think they can be trusted not to harm the ecosystem.

Well, if so many manufacturers are harming the system, then the system gets harmed. I, personally, think that "something is rotten in the state of Denmark".
Earlier in the year I thought that bitcoin network chance to succeed is 90:10, but now, after I observed comings and goings, I think that it is no more than 50:50, sorry.
tvasbn

Activity: 460

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 06:20:11 AM

[/quote]

nothing on BFL whit their Monarchs?
Collider

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 06:27:07 AM
Last edit: August 24, 2014, 06:49:29 AM by Collider

BFL is a lost cause anyway, nobody in here treats them like real competition.

The only thing they are is a huge money sink for anyone who tries to invest with their hardware.

(And don´t get me started on their possibly illegal activities...)

tvasbn

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 06:40:23 AM

We too have orders at them, at this moment we're waiting the refund.
Collider

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 06:46:15 AM

I will not hold it against you as your account is still quite new (and I guess you are already punished enough by dealing with BFL)

Anyone who does a quick forum search should immediatly be put off buying BFL products.
vortexz
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 06:46:29 AM

weird, i'm also waiting for a refund from your company !  Grin
tvasbn

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 07:02:37 AM
Last edit: August 24, 2014, 03:28:39 PM by ckolivas

weird, i'm also waiting for a refund from your company !  Grin

You order an Antminer S2 from us, you receive it, mine whit them, and after a week change your mind and ask us for your money back. We instead paid for a product and never receive that product.

Edit: As i know in Bitcoin mining industry all sales are final, there are no return policies, otherwise people will buy miners, mine whit them for 20 days an then return them.
wissam

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 08:58:37 AM

@Spondoolies: What's the ETA on September Batch 1? What order number are you at now so that we can have an idea how much longer we have to wait.
Pages: « 1 ... 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 [312] 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 ... 725 »
  Print  

Jump to: