Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:56:29 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 ... 135 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GAW Community is located at: community.gawminers.com  (Read 506537 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
EnJoyThis

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 07:18:18 PM

Hello,

Zenminer is making us custom cases, they just could not make them fast enough for the launch. We had close to 1,000 that needed to be sent out Smiley

They are finishing the last bit of touches on the ui, so they disabled the login for now (as you already know)

New firmware working great, lots of extra power. But if I told what it was, it would not be a surprise now would it be? Smiley

Can you give us a hint on when we can expect the first hosted miners to come online?

Cheers

1Ew9k5guAGb44Uz6rYfSVscgFBUcgDZp5C
milesbitcoin

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 10:03:50 PM

Guys,

Have spent the day emailing back and forth with Gaw Support and I couldn't be more pleased. I have sent 4 emails and have received 4 detailed responses most within a few minutes. Luke and the GAW team have been great and look forward to getting my miner a few days early. Will order from GAW Miners again. (Price Drop, Early Shipping, and Increased Hash Power) What more can I say.
milesbitcoin

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 10:09:59 PM

From the pictures uploaded my a few posts ago it looks the controller has two connections (USB and Ethernet). So my guess is that yes the controller will need to be connected directly to the router and USB to the miner. But that is just a guess based on the pictures. Haven't received my yet so I don't know.
kebabman

Activity: 655
Merit: 504

You wan chili saus?

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 10:18:12 PM

Will the zenBox require wired connection directly to router?  

When will the software be available independent of the zenBox since I cannot plug into a router directly?  

What access will end users have to the zenBox?  Again, this relates to the router question.  Putting a black box on a network that has direct access to your local hardware should make anyone except the naive cringe.

It's a Raspberry Pi, so firstly if you don't want to use their image that relies on zenminer.com just flash another SD card with Scrypta or similar and use that, they've made it clear that won't be a problem. I understand that a 'closed' cloud based solution isn't for everyone but a lot of people who aren't IT sysadmins are going to be very pleased to have some that's plug-and-play and provides easy web-based management and updating. I really don't see how you can have a beef with this because before we knew about zenminer it was pretty much a given we'd have to run these off a Pi or a PC that we brewed ourselves anyway, so it seems like nothing but a bonus for those that don't want to do that without a downside for those that do?  Huh

Secondly, as I'm sure you know, the Pi only comes with a wired ethernet port...I'm not sure why you're so concerned about attaching that directly to your router (or how that is more of a risk than wirelessly attaching it to the same router, if you're concerned their zenminer distro is doing something nefareous you can, as above, build you own image), but for $10 you can get a WiFi adapter for the Pi that works great. I've used this Edimax one in a ton of my totally non-mining related Pi projects without any problem at all. Smiley

http://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-7811Un-Wireless-Adapter-Wizard/dp/B003MTTJOY

As for your black box concern, you have physical access to the device so you will be able to get into the image to have a look around, there is no what they can lock you out of it. You can mount their SD card somewhere else, or likely just reset the root password in single user mode. Either way it's a non-issue. Run it or don't run it, that's your prerogative. I don't see the masses saying "oooh I can't run this playstation 4 on my network it's a proprietary black box', same difference, if you are the sort of person that knows enough to care about that then you've probably already got a gaming PC, the zenminer is aimed at ease of use for the majority.

It's an RPi which everyone has been using for a long time as "mining controllers", except not locked.  Works great with edimax usb wireless, it's how I run clusters of 4 G-Blades.  Which is why I have these questions, because RPi works great with those and doesn't require wired access to the router in a different part of the house.

You're just being picky really. How can you possibly 'lock' a pi. Just take the SD card out, put your own one in, and stop whining about it. Seriously.  Roll Eyes
ovidus

Activity: 44

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 10:55:55 PM

When will the software be available independent of the zenBox since I cannot plug into a router directly?  

What access will end users have to the zenBox?  Again, this relates to the router question.  Putting a black box on a network that has direct access to your local hardware should make anyone except the naive cringe.

It's a Raspberry Pi, so firstly if you don't want to use their image that relies on zenminer.com just flash another SD card with Scrypta or similar and use that, they've made it clear that won't be a problem. I understand that a 'closed' cloud based solution isn't for everyone but a lot of people who aren't IT sysadmins are going to be very pleased to have some that's plug-and-play and provides easy web-based management and updating. I really don't see how you can have a beef with this because before we knew about zenminer it was pretty much a given we'd have to run these off a Pi or a PC that we brewed ourselves anyway, so it seems like nothing but a bonus for those that don't want to do that without a downside for those that do?  Huh

Secondly, as I'm sure you know, the Pi only comes with a wired ethernet port...I'm not sure why you're so concerned about attaching that directly to your router (or how that is more of a risk than wirelessly attaching it to the same router, if you're concerned their zenminer distro is doing something nefareous you can, as above, build you own image), but for $10 you can get a WiFi adapter for the Pi that works great. I've used this Edimax one in a ton of my totally non-mining related Pi projects without any problem at all. Smiley

As for your black box concern, you have physical access to the device so you will be able to get into the image to have a look around, there is no what they can lock you out of it. You can mount their SD card somewhere else, or likely just reset the root password in single user mode. Either way it's a non-issue. Run it or don't run it, that's your prerogative. I don't see the masses saying "oooh I can't run this playstation 4 on my network it's a proprietary black box', same difference, if you are the sort of person that knows enough to care about that then you've probably already got a gaming PC, the zenminer is aimed at ease of use for the majority.

It's an RPi which everyone has been using for a long time as "mining controllers", except not locked.  Works great with edimax usb wireless, it's how I run clusters of 4 G-Blades.  Which is why I have these questions, because RPi works great with those and doesn't require wired access to the router in a different part of the house.

You're just being picky really. How can you possibly 'lock' a pi. Just take the SD card out, put your own one in, and stop whining about it. Seriously.  Roll Eyes

For real?  If it's a locked box, you can't actually run the setup you need to for getting wireless working without hacking. I'm not as concerned about nefarious stuff as the fact that this is hardware, which can mess up, usb'd into hardware, which can mess up, that I'm all running locally.   On top of that, I've never purchased a miner where they told you that you needed a wired connection directly into the router unless the management was on-device, not device-through-cloud-web-interface.  If zen goes down (and don't say it won't, freaking Samsung had a worldwide network outage and I'm sure their centers are more redundant than zen), I can't change my pool or access my device whatsoever as far as we've heard.  Again, a case for local access.  On top of that, you can get stuff like UART errors if there is a usb problem, but that's a problem much easier fixed locally.  Or what if something happens mid-remote-update or I suddenly decide to move hardware and don't know the cloud is messing with my device and something bricks?  Another case where complete local access is a helper.

As far as the plug-n-play aspect, for what I'm seeing you will need to use a computer PSU to power these devices, which according to another friendly GAW-ite you can buy a jumper for since it won't be connected directly to a pc, so the devices themselves are not plug-n-play user friendly.  So saying that installing software and plugging this into a usb drive is too complicated but jumping a goddamn PSU isn't for the non-tech savvy, again, I question wtf you people are talking about.  

The problem is this is an 11th hour announcement that wasn't part of the hardware I originally purchased.  Shit, Zeus and/or GAW sat on the modified power numbers until they were getting ready to ship, that also doesn't provide much confidence because that is fraud.  Someone knew the power numbers were wrong, quite wrong, but no site updated while pre-orders that people generally price at Cost/Hash/Wattage were being made expecting a certain power draw, but if you're MASS PRODUCING THE HARDWARE you know the power draw already.

Copying this because their damn delete-bot is going to wipe it anyway, will repost so we can continue the conversation if they kill it.

power thing aside you are mad that they are giving you a free $40 dollar piece of hardware that you can put any linux based miner os on and run, this can be powered through usb using a simple usb cable and old cell phone charger, i dont see why people have a bug up their butt about getting a free raspberry pi, hell i had a hard time geiiting my first couple when they came out, personally i dont mind a slightly increased power usage, and as a hardware quality assurance engineer i can understand when dealing with new set of hardware / software you can run into variables that can change power consumption well beyond what the oems (original equipment manufacture ) quote you on the initial lab tested equipment, all hardware is pron to this form tvs, almost all computer equipment (sans power regulation circuits), or even a night light.  Most oems only test in a power regulated lab environment and not in the real world, it is common for a equipment reseller to get different results from those stated by the oem once the equipment is ran in a real world environment, most companies do not state or even test that they might have found a difference in the power consumption, so the fact that gaw has disclosed that they found that there is an added power consumption is actually a pretty rare thing in the electronics distribution world, and show that they are trying their best to be responsible to their customers.
GAW Miners_CEO

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 11:14:35 PM

New firmware working great, lots of extra power. But if I told what it was, it would not be a surprise now would it be? Smiley
Will hosted units have this new firmware too?

Good question! We will ensure that hosted customers have the exact same advantage Smiley
GAW Miners_CEO

Activity: 182

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 11:16:10 PM

For real?  If it's a locked box, you can't actually run the setup you need to for getting wireless working without hacking. I'm not as concerned about nefarious stuff as the fact that this is hardware, which can mess up, usb'd into hardware, which can mess up, that I'm all running locally.   On top of that, I've never purchased a miner where they told you that you needed a wired connection directly into the router unless the management was on-device, not device-through-cloud-web-interface.  If zen goes down (and don't say it won't, freaking Samsung had a worldwide network outage and I'm sure their centers are more redundant than zen), I can't change my pool or access my device whatsoever as far as we've heard.  Again, a case for local access.  On top of that, you can get stuff like UART errors if there is a usb problem, but that's a problem much easier fixed locally.  Or what if something happens mid-remote-update or I suddenly decide to move hardware and don't know the cloud is messing with my device and something bricks?  Another case where complete local access is a helper.

As far as the plug-n-play aspect, for what I'm seeing you will need to use a computer PSU to power these devices, which according to another friendly GAW-ite you can buy a jumper for since it won't be connected directly to a pc, so the devices themselves are not plug-n-play user friendly.  So saying that installing software and plugging this into a usb drive is too complicated but jumping a goddamn PSU isn't for the non-tech savvy, again, I question wtf you people are talking about.  

The problem is this is an 11th hour announcement that wasn't part of the hardware I originally purchased.  Shit, Zeus and/or GAW sat on the modified power numbers until they were getting ready to ship, that also doesn't provide much confidence because that is fraud.  Someone knew the power numbers were wrong, quite wrong, but no site updated while pre-orders that people generally price at Cost/Hash/Wattage were being made expecting a certain power draw, but if you're MASS PRODUCING THE HARDWARE you know the power draw already.

Copying this because their damn delete-bot is going to wipe it anyway, will repost so we can continue the conversation if they kill it.

power thing aside you are mad that they are giving you a free $40 dollar piece of hardware that you can put any linux based miner os on and run, this can be powered through usb using a simple usb cable and old cell phone charger, i dont see why people have a bug up their butt about getting a free raspberry pi, hell i had a hard time geiiting my first couple when they came out, personally i dont mind a slightly increased power usage, and as a hardware quality assurance engineer i can understand when dealing with new set of hardware / software you can run into variables that can change power consumption well beyond what the oems (original equipment manufacture ) quote you on the initial lab tested equipment, all hardware is pron to this form tvs, almost all computer equipment (sans power regulation circuits), or even a night light.  Most oems only test in a power regulated lab environment and not in the real world, it is common for a equipment reseller to get different results from those stated by the oem once the equipment is ran in a real world environment, most companies do not state or even test that they might have found a difference in the power consumption, so the fact that gaw has disclosed that they found that there is an added power consumption is actually a pretty rare thing in the electronics distribution world, and show that they are trying their best to be responsible to their customers.

You are 100% correct! thank you both for helping Smiley
Meech

Activity: 924

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 11:31:03 PM

Guys,

Have spent the day emailing back and forth with Gaw Support and I couldn't be more pleased. I have sent 4 emails and have received 4 detailed responses most within a few minutes. Luke and the GAW team have been great and look forward to getting my miner a few days early. Will order from GAW Miners again. (Price Drop, Early Shipping, and Increased Hash Power) What more can I say.
Care to expand on "Price Drop, Early Shipping, and Increased Hash Power.  Was this made for you specially due to a problem you were having.  Emphasis on Price Drop. Roll Eyes
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8042

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2014, 12:11:31 AM

okay I am a bit lost but here goes.  Lets say I go to the website and order 3 fury units. week 3  order  .

they cost 150 each x 3 = 450 usd. 

I get a Zeus pi for free?

I plug the 3 fury units into an ATX  power supply .

I plug them into a usb hub
I plug the pi into same usb hub.

I plug the pi into an ethernet switch.

I log onto the pi   say the address is 192.162.x.x

like an ant minter   and drop my code in and I am mining at the Zues site?

so  first question is    can I run my grid seed blade on this? or is the blade locked out. 

not knocking this just sounds like a lot of work  if my grid seeds are shut out this does not help much.

I need to decide if I want to let you host or if I want to run.

6 or 7 mining setups between all of my gear.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
JPS2K5

Activity: 266

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 12:22:34 AM

Hello,

Zenminer is making us custom cases, they just could not make them fast enough for the launch. We had close to 1,000 that needed to be sent out Smiley

They are finishing the last bit of touches on the ui, so they disabled the login for now (as you already know)

Can you give us a hint on when we can expect the first hosted miners to come online?

Cheers

We have over 2000 amps of miners we are powering up and testing as I type this.

We had to work directly with the power company to bring in additional power into our newest hosted facility (feels like we should have a better name for these buildings)

More updates soon Smiley

The GAW-center, The GAW-facility, dataGAW, GAW-mine, .... ?

Meech

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 12:27:37 AM

GAWSOME center, GDC Gaw data center, GnORMOUS
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 12:47:32 AM

GAWSOME center, GDC Gaw data center, GnORMOUS
GAWSOME has a nice ring to it. They should be paying you for that. Ad agencies make a fortune off of stuff like that.

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
Meech

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 12:50:36 AM

You heard it first here.  Show me the money or at least free miners! Shocked Grin 
milesbitcoin

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 01:50:26 AM

Guys,

Care to expand on "Price Drop, Early Shipping, and Increased Hash Power.  Was this made for you specially due to a problem you were having.  Emphasis on Price Drop. Roll Eyes

Sure, did GAW not drop the prices last week on all hardware and offer store credit/refunds to everyone that purchased before the drop. I believe that GAW posted today that units had already begun shipping and we could except them between Tuesday-Thursday (release date was May 26th). Firmware update that is suppose to increase hash rate above advertised numbers.

I didn't get anything extra from GAW and I did have issues. I am a customer that originally purchased through PayPal. Didn't receive anything but my money back and I elected to reorder my falcon.
gfuzz

Activity: 24

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 02:31:40 AM

Because I ordered 2 Furys as separate orders within a week or so of each other I've already received 2 rasp pi controllers (one for each order) ..... I will be interested to see if there will be additional price drops in the future for "Fury Only" packages w/o accessories (that do not come with rasp pi controllers) - I am assuming I don't need a separate controller for each device, but I could be wrong.

Either way no complaints here. Just can't wait for Tuesday!
EasyME

Activity: 49

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 02:57:23 AM

This has nothing to do with GAW, but if anyone wants to see an actual photo of a Blizzard, check it out.

https://i.imgur.com/o2uf3fF.jpg?1

Thanks for the pics.

*I better get bigger pockets, cause that's not "Pocket Size".  Shocked

Can one remove that FAN that is like placed in such a bad spot (stacking wise), how do you stack these ?
crackfoo
Legendary

Activity: 3500
Merit: 1126

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2014, 03:00:14 AM

No - its regular clear rasp pi case comes with SD card already in it.... There is a GAW sticker on the bottom, and a login code for zenminer on the side (not including code in these pictures). I did NOT get a tracking # when they were shipped. I actually had no idea what the packages were at first. I'm assuming USPS (?). They were on my doorstep when I got home.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9vO5b0dbXi0M01fMkM5dlJxUjJKUVhjUVJPdEt6ZURhb3Rr/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9vO5b0dbXi0S0gyWE5RTDRZOG9wZFFTRFQ4enRHcHJpQU80/edit?usp=sharing

do pi's have wifi?

ZPOOL - the miners multipool! Support We pay 10 FLUX Parallel Assets (PA) directly to block rewards! Get paid more and faster. No PA fee's or waiting around for them, paid instantly on every block found!
crackfoo
Legendary

Activity: 3500
Merit: 1126

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2014, 03:06:52 AM

No Pis don't come w/ wifi adapter, but they are cheap if you need one

I've got a the tiny usb ones, will they work or has to be something specific?

ZPOOL - the miners multipool! Support We pay 10 FLUX Parallel Assets (PA) directly to block rewards! Get paid more and faster. No PA fee's or waiting around for them, paid instantly on every block found!
NCM

Activity: 40

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 03:09:29 AM

This has nothing to do with GAW, but if anyone wants to see an actual photo of a Blizzard, check it out.

Thanks for the pics.

*I better get bigger pockets, cause that's not "Pocket Size".  Shocked

Can one remove that FAN that is like placed in such a bad spot (stacking wise), how do you stack these ?

I'm sure I'll be taking those fans off (gridseed 2.0). I'm thinking of putting several on their side and hitting them with one exterior (quiet) fan.
AtomicFrost

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 03:20:54 AM

Thanks for the pics.

*I better get bigger pockets, cause that's not "Pocket Size".  Shocked

I'm sure I'll be taking those fans off (gridseed 2.0). I'm thinking of putting several on their side and hitting them with one exterior (quiet) fan.

That might work if they're not stacked too high. We are talking about ~35w of heat that needs to be dissipated so at the least you're going to need a fan blowing on them. GridSeed's are only using about 6-8w of heat; huge difference.

I'm just going to leave the fans on mine; longer lifespan for the components on the pcb, happy chips and higher clock speed.
Pages: « 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 ... 135 »
  Print  

Jump to: