Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:19:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 2049 2050 2051 2052 2053 2054 2055 2056 2057 2058 2059 2060 2061 2062 2063 2064 2065 2066 2067 2068 2069 2070 2071 2072 2073 2074 2075 2076 2077 2078 2079 2080 2081 2082 2083 2084 2085 2086 2087 2088 2089 2090 2091 2092 2093 2094 2095 2096 2097 2098 [2099] 2100 2101 2102 2103 2104 2105 2106 2107 2108 2109 2110 2111 2112 2113 2114 2115 2116 2117 2118 2119 2120 2121 2122 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4666977 times)
xnbya

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 02, 2021, 12:50:00 PM

What is the Monero development team’s stance on Asic resistance presently? Will it continue to hard fork to stop Asics?

I might have made a mistake in my support for embracing Asics for Aeon. It is only a small coin and it might not matter, however, giving up on mining with ordinary hardware might be a mistake.

The hard forks to change the POW have now stopped. Monero has been using RandomX for 15 months now with no sign of Asics.  Hopefully it stays that way.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4861

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
March 02, 2021, 05:11:02 PM

Monero botnet miners might like this article hehe. It might also be made to use the private Monero blockchain and the view key for the corresponding public key for untraceability from outsiders.

In America, uncensorable mining and unenforceable mining shutdowns might be the future of the cryptospace if Yellen’s crackdown begins.

When hackers corral infected computers into a botnet, they take special care to ensure they don’t lose control of the server that sends commands and updates to the compromised devices. The precautions are designed to thwart security defenders who routinely dismantle botnets by taking over the command-and-control server that administers them in a process known as sinkholing.

Recently, a botnet that researchers have been following for about two years began using a new way to prevent command-and-control server takedowns: by camouflaging one of its IP addresses in the bitcoin blockchain.

Source https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2021/02/crooks-use-the-bitcoin-blockchain-to-protect-their-botnets-from-takedown/

Taking advantage of uncensorable immutability.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1439

View Profile
March 03, 2021, 06:43:11 AM

@Hueristic. In a fictional world where the president of the one world government, Janet Yellen has begun persecuting miners of the free people's currency, hidden bot mining is the only hope hehehe.

However, the Biden administration might begin to go after bitcoin miners in America. Janet Yellen's statements have not been very optimistic for the cryptospace.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
baro77

Activity: 90
Merit: 91

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2021, 06:23:05 PM
Merited by Hueristic (2), kellrobinson (1)

Hi everybody!

While studying Zero to Monero: Second Edition https://www.getmonero.org/library/Zero-to-Monero-2-0-0.pdf I have created an infographic to strengthen my understanding. Hope it to be useful to someone else as well!

https://baro77.medium.com/e0abb8174757?source=friends_link&sk=86505f1916726e1ddb0b930c4700ebb5

(Sorry for medium link, but I have problem inserting only the image link)
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
March 04, 2021, 06:54:56 PM
Last edit: March 04, 2021, 07:06:51 PM by Hueristic

Hi everybody!

While studying Zero to Monero: Second Edition https://www.getmonero.org/library/Zero-to-Monero-2-0-0.pdf I have created an infographic to strengthen my understanding. Hope it to be useful to someone else as well!

https://baro77.medium.com/e0abb8174757?source=friends_link&sk=86505f1916726e1ddb0b930c4700ebb5

(Sorry for medium link, but I have problem inserting only the image link)

Great!

Link to article is better as most of us won't open a linked pdf. Wink

I would have clapped but then i would have to sign in and then they paywall nag me.

Quote from: baro77

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
March 04, 2021, 07:03:51 PM

@Hueristic. In a fictional world where the president of the one world government, Janet Yellen has begun persecuting miners of the free people's currency, hidden bot mining is the only hope hehehe.

However, the Biden administration might begin to go after bitcoin miners in America. Janet Yellen's statements have not been very optimistic for the cryptospace.

Biden going after cryptography is a unsubstantiated Fud attack.

Trump was more anti bitcoin than any politician.

Janet Yellen is a tool of the establishment and just totes the .01%er's lines.

elrippos friend

Activity: 1179
Merit: 210

only hodl what you understand and love!

View Profile
March 05, 2021, 04:17:20 AM

Biden going after cryptography is a unsubstantiated Fud attack.

Trump was more anti bitcoin than any politician.

Janet Yellen is a tool of the establishment and just totes the .01%er's lines.

Man, that sucker again....

Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2021, 05:54:34 AM

https://twitter.com/comit_network/status/1367731779461804033

Want to participate in our public $XMR<>#Bitcoin
 atomic swap demo? Trustless, Non-Custodial, Open-Source. Download here:

https://github.com/comit-network/xmr-btc-swap/releases/tag/v0.2

cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
March 09, 2021, 05:27:22 PM

LOL.  This may be the dumnest thing I have read this year.  Did someone get PAID to do this?

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8685178

"Traceable Monero: Anonymous Cryptocurrency with Enhanced Accountability"
bitebits
Legendary

Activity: 2206
Merit: 3166

Flippin' burgers since 1163.

View Profile
March 09, 2021, 06:39:28 PM
Merited by phishead (1)

LOL.  This may be the dumnest thing I have read this year.  Did someone get PAID to do this?

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8685178

"Traceable Monero: Anonymous Cryptocurrency with Enhanced Accountability"

For those new here. Yes Monero is indeed fully private, but already optionally transparent:
(need a pull request to change the readability a bit)

View Key - The Basics

One of two sets of private and public cryptographic keys that each account has, with the private view key required to view all transactions related to the account.

Monero features an opaque blockchain (with an explicit allowance system called the view key), in sharp contrast with transparent blockchains used by any other cryptocurrency not based on CryptoNote. Thus, Monero is said to be "private, optionally transparent".

Every Monero address has a private viewkey which can be shared. By sharing a viewkey, a person is allowing access to view every incoming transaction for that address. However, outgoing transactions cannot be reliably viewed as of June 2017. Therefore, the balance of a Monero address as shown via a viewkey should not be relied upon.
https://www.getmonero.org/resources/moneropedia/viewkey.html

- You can figure out what will happen, not when /Warren Buffett
- Pay any Bitcoin address privately with a little help of Monero.
user187fr

Activity: 12
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 10, 2021, 10:13:45 PM
Last edit: March 10, 2021, 10:37:21 PM by user187fr

hi !  Smiley

i am new to monero, but i have some experience with bitcoin core and bitcoin cash. Grin

i have found a list of app wallets on the official website ( getmonero.org/downloads/ ), ok good !

i plan to generate an address / viewkey / spendkey, with moneroaddress.org.

then i plan to store the address / viewkey / spendkey in a txt file, compressed in a password protected 7z archive (AES-256)

then i plan to use the mymonero app wallet (android) to manage the address (to receive / send xmr)

( i  do a similar approach for my btc addresses / coins, and for my bch addresses / coins, and no problem until now (fingers crossed Tongue) )

a few questions, please :

Q1) is the generator on moneroaddress.org trustworthy / reliable ?
 answer : apparently yes because recommended on the official website...

Q2) is the mymonero app wallet (android) trustworthy / reliable ?

Q3) who funds the developments of the monero protocol ? are the developpers / contributors only working for the "cause" ?
 answer : apparently by donations and crowfunding...

any others advices you may have for a beginner ?

thanks !
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
March 11, 2021, 03:46:58 AM
Merited by Hueristic (1)

hi !  Smiley

i am new to monero, but i have some experience with bitcoin core and bitcoin cash. Grin

i have found a list of app wallets on the official website ( getmonero.org/downloads/ ), ok good !

then i plan to store the address / viewkey / spendkey in a txt file, compressed in a password protected 7z archive (AES-256)

then i plan to use the mymonero app wallet (android) to manage the address (to receive / send xmr)

( i  do a similar approach for my btc addresses / coins, and for my bch addresses / coins, and no problem until now (fingers crossed Tongue) )

Q3) who funds the developments of the monero protocol ? are the developpers / contributors only working for the "cause" ?

thanks !

You will not like my reply. Wink

I am going to assume you are planning to store what you consider to an un-lose-able sum.

Personally I think using moneroaddress.org is risky unless you know exactly what you are doing, and then the Dunning-Kruger effect is your enemy. You should ABSOLUTELY NOT use it on a computer that is connected to a network, or ever will be again.  If you can use some disposable OS or tails etc on a laptop that wont ever...  muh seriously.  It's really really just a bad idea.  I assume you will be entering in seed words on a internet connected computer...  all it takes then is a keylogger etc.  I guess if you are going to create a watch only wallet that is basically cold storage...  Then it's better.

Yes MyMonero is (probably?) trustworthy.  But you are choosing the lest secure of all Monero wallets.  It's a web wallet.  I would either use the official wallet, or Feather.  And you might as well generate your keys in those if you planned to just type them in in the first place.

Using a hardware wallet is really the best bet.  Period.  Seed created on unconnected device.  Stored on paper (or metal etc).  You get to use a Bip39 passphrase...  It's worth the 60-100$ IMHO.

Maybe someone can give you a less paranoid answer...  Why says I am right?  Don't trust.

Good luck!!!
elrippos friend

View Profile
March 11, 2021, 05:02:20 AM

hi !  Smiley

thanks !

You will not like my reply. Wink

I am going to assume you are planning to store what you consider to an un-lose-able sum.

Personally I think using moneroaddress.org is risky unless you know exactly what you are doing, and then the Dunning-Kruger effect is your enemy. You should ABSOLUTELY NOT use it on a computer that is connected to a network, or ever will be again.  If you can use some disposable OS or tails etc on a laptop that wont ever...  muh seriously.  It's really really just a bad idea.  I assume you will be entering in seed words on a internet connected computer...  all it takes then is a keylogger etc.  I guess if you are going to create a watch only wallet that is basically cold storage...  Then it's better.

Yes MyMonero is (probably?) trustworthy.  But you are choosing the lest secure of all Monero wallets.  It's a web wallet.  I would either use the official wallet, or Feather.  And you might as well generate your keys in those if you planned to just type them in in the first place.

Using a hardware wallet is really the best bet.  Period.  Seed created on unconnected device.  Stored on paper (or metal etc).  You get to use a Bip39 passphrase...  It's worth the 60-100$ IMHO.

Maybe someone can give you a less paranoid answer...  Why says I am right?  Don't trust.

Good luck!!!

AMEN  Wink

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
March 13, 2021, 12:27:55 PM

I'm using the core wallet with the trezor model T and I have a different address showing up on the screen of the trezor to the one I'm supposed to be sending to according to the wallet on screen.
Anyone ever seen this?
Anyone have any idea what the heck might be going on here?
I'm not clicking send because thats literally the point of the trezor.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2021, 07:30:10 PM

Is this thread dead? Thats kind of sad if it is.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2021, 07:49:06 PM

I would guess no-one wants to give you bad advice so no replies.

Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2021, 10:57:40 PM

Fair enough.

cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
March 14, 2021, 02:28:44 AM

Fair enough.

That would scare the shit out of me Anon..  I would not hit send, that's for sure.

What I would do:
Make sure Trezor is up to date firmware/app wise.
Search reddit.
Try it with a fresh install of the s/w and a recreated wallet.
Reach out to Trezor if the above does not solve it...
elrippos friend

View Profile
March 14, 2021, 06:48:04 AM

I'm using the core wallet with the trezor model T and I have a different address showing up on the screen of the trezor to the one I'm supposed to be sending to according to the wallet on screen.
Anyone ever seen this?

Were did you buy the Trezor Model T?
Are you using the GUI wallet? Were did you download the wallet software? Did you verify it?

dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
March 14, 2021, 05:42:49 PM
Merited by Hueristic (1)

Anyone ever seen this?

Try the suggestion here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/monerosupport/comments/lsnrpn/trezor_address_is_different/got174z/

To add, the issue will be fixed in the next release.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
Pages: « 1 ... 2049 2050 2051 2052 2053 2054 2055 2056 2057 2058 2059 2060 2061 2062 2063 2064 2065 2066 2067 2068 2069 2070 2071 2072 2073 2074 2075 2076 2077 2078 2079 2080 2081 2082 2083 2084 2085 2086 2087 2088 2089 2090 2091 2092 2093 2094 2095 2096 2097 2098 [2099] 2100 2101 2102 2103 2104 2105 2106 2107 2108 2109 2110 2111 2112 2113 2114 2115 2116 2117 2118 2119 2120 2121 2122 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: