Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:18:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667061 times)
Keyboard-Mash

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 02:04:12 AM

So what can we do to grow the community? We've had a few nice weeks where the difficulty has risen quite nicely, but I'm not really feeling much on the support end. There's little to no talk and the logo thread seems to have died. Despite the growing difficulty -- I fear we're losing interest. I think we're suffering from a lack of a consolidated vision.

It's going to be harder/more time consuming right off the bat to build support for us because there's not one person we can rally around, and Monero is based off a protocol that's not well understood on this board. This is very apparently a decentralized effort where many people donate their little bit of time available to help out, but we're lacking in having one person who is available full time to this.

I don't consider that a complete weakness, as it's been invaluable to the present life of the coin so far .. but I still can't shake the feeling like we're just sitting around and waiting for people to pop in. Like there's no hooks other than a seriously impressive protocol. I hope I'm not alone when I feel like that's not enough.

This isn't much better than the alternative that this was forked from in that regard (Though we still don't have the ninja-mine).

There's a few hundred other options calling people to one coin or another -- what can we do that brings them here, with the significant hurdles present today?

Most people see CPU only, and are immediately dismissive because of the reasonable assumption that there's a hidden GPU miner -- or optimized CPU miner. How can anyone seeing this for the first time not feel like it's going to go the same route as Quark in a week or two?

Others see the anonymous aspect and are immediately turned off because of concerns regarding illegality, and fear of persecution. The fear of not knowing whether or not it's okay to have unlinkable transactions in the blockchain. How can we make the point that privacy is an integral part of inviting real business money into cryptocurrency (Where your competitors can't see who you do business with, or the contents of your wallet)?

Then there's the lack of usability -- where everything is still using command lines and there's no GUI (not a problem for me, but there's a distinct terror in using the command line that comes up constantly in the community). I understand this is being worked on which is fantastic -- but until that time how can we convince people that it's as simple as "download this file and double-click this batch file".

Following this, there are no pools. With the majority of people on this board being so used to having an immediate reward (however small it is), it's tough to catch one's interest. How can we keep people interested if they aren't getting the same instant mining gratification they get in any of the other coins? The manual faucet is a nice idea, but is there anyone working on an automated one?

Even further, ubuntu gets double the hashrate of windows binaries . . something else that turns away the majority of end users. I understand that there are now binaries available that give a boost, but even only 60% will make any newcomer feel at a loss. I can't really see a way to convince people this is okay, and telling most of the to use ubuntu instead is unacceptable -- they'll just move on to something else.

The problem with the assertions above is that these people being pushed away are the exact people we need to be bringing into this coin. Even tougher is that once these opinions are formed, it's very hard to break from that mindset. It's been two weeks, and by now probably 90% of the board is aware that Monero exists . . and I'm worried that by the time the above problems are solved people will have just moved on, because an answer to each represents a significant amount of programming work or understanding.

With most of the people who have the skill to do this tied up in their own coin/different coin, and the other part being either too inexperienced or unmotivated to contribute -- what chance does this stand to pick up?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 02:06:36 AM

I'm here.  Constantly. Soon I will have the fork in sync with the bytecoin commits. NoodleDoodle recently published a more optimized daemon/miner for win64. Othe is working on the GUI.

Pool will come as soon as people see the technological value in the coin. Like most open source projects, it will grow slowly and organically -- like Bitcoin itself.

So, just chill. Smiley The start was fair and the development behind the coin has been totally decentralized since TFT left.  In the meantime, enjoy cheap MRO.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
MadCow

Activity: 655
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 02:34:47 AM

I'm here.  Constantly. Soon I will have the fork in sync with the bytecoin commits. NoodleDoodle recently published a more optimized daemon/miner for win64. Othe is working on the GUI.

Pool will come as soon as people see the technological value in the coin. Like most open source projects, it will grow slowly and organically -- like Bitcoin itself.

So, just chill. Smiley The start was fair and the development behind the coin has been totally decentralized since TFT left.  In the meantime, enjoy cheap MRO.

I think monero is the most exciting thing to happen to crypto currencies since probably litecoin, and as it's based on a completely different software, it's actually much more significant than litecoin.

I'm actually liking the fact that it's down to command line gui. I'm a complete ubuntu newbie. and I still haven't worked out how to compile monero on a fresh digitalocean VPS yet, but I'm learning new stuff, and with only 18 million coins MRO is still very cheap.

For all those people who've been staring in the mirror each morning for the last year or so going, 'fuck, what would life be like if i'd discovered bitcoin in 2010", here is your chance for a mini re-run.

I do have a newbie question though, why can't someone compile the linux source? Why is it better to compile linux version yourself, but we all trust windows binaries?
SpongebobCoinpants

Activity: 29

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 02:36:48 AM

How many Monero are currently in circulation?
tacotime
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 02:39:02 AM

How many Monero are currently in circulation?

~400k of 18.45m

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
tacotime
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 02:41:46 AM

I do have a newbie question though, why can't someone compile the linux source? Why is it better to compile linux version yourself, but we all trust windows binaries?

GCC often has architecture specific optimizations when compiling, so it tends to be faster if you build yourself.

Compiling on Windows tends to be a pain in the ass, so we recommend people just use the binaries.

Code:
MadCow

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 02:47:27 AM

GCC often has architecture specific optimizations when compiling, so it tends to be faster if you build yourself.

Compiling on Windows tends to be a pain in the ass, so we recommend people just use the binaries.

Ok thanks, that makes sense.
Keyboard-Mash

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 02:51:14 AM

I've been reading your MC2 thread. It's impressive to speak little of it. As far as bad situations go, I'm glad you were who we have now. The incredible amount of help and time you, and everyone else, have put forth is nothing small. If I didn't feel like the MRO would be worth something some day I'd send it all to you guys Smiley

I'm sorry if I neglected to mention that the major hook into this, apart from the badass protocol, are the people that it has brought toward it. You, NoodleDoodle, Smooth, Othe, David Latapie, eizh are the reason that this will succeed in my mind. Not just a gui or pool.

That I can come here every day and you guys are posting is more than a reassurance for me. You guys even showed me how to install this on ubuntu, which I'm coming to see is a great alternative to windows.

I'm sure, under your combined leadership, that I will very soon be coming to this thread and seeing hundreds of posts from many new people pouring in.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 03:23:59 AM

It is possible to build separate Windows binaries for different architectures (Nehalem, Haswell, etc) that will perform better on the corresponding hardware but as you say its a pain in the ass to build all these and keep them updated whenever there is a patch, so I can't blame anyone for not doing it. It's nice that Windows binaries get built at all.

However, if someone wants to step up and build (and maintain) a bunch of these different binaries, I'm sure the community would be grateful.
tacotime
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 03:24:57 AM

I've been reading your MC2 thread. It's impressive to speak little of it. As far as bad situations go, I'm glad you were who we have now. The incredible amount of help and time you, and everyone else, have put forth is nothing small. If I didn't feel like the MRO would be worth something some day I'd send it all to you guys Smiley

I'm sorry if I neglected to mention that the major hook into this, apart from the badass protocol, are the people that it has brought toward it. You, NoodleDoodle, Smooth, Othe, David Latapie, eizh are the reason that this will succeed in my mind. Not just a gui or pool.

That I can come here every day and you guys are posting is more than a reassurance for me. You guys even showed me how to install this on ubuntu, which I'm coming to see is a great alternative to windows.

I'm sure, under your combined leadership, that I will very soon be coming to this thread and seeing hundreds of posts from many new people pouring in.
Thanks for the kind words. This has been the first thing I've really been excited about since mining Tenebrix/Litecoin back when their genesis blocks came out and I'm happy to give the project as much spare time as I possible can on top of my full-time work on MC2.

Code:
Keyboard-Mash

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 04:01:05 AM

Listed us here:

https://www.swaphole.com/#!voting

Make sure to copy and paste because btctalk breaks the link if there's a # in there.

Also, if you haven't voted in a while here's another link bump: https://comkort.com/vote
Legko

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 04:41:10 AM

Hello.
My OS is Windows7 64.
When i run wallet i see "Error: refresh failed, daemon is busy. Please try later. Block received: 0"
What am I doing wrong.
Keyboard-Mash

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 04:43:11 AM

Hello.
My OS is Windows7 64.
When i run wallet i see "Error: refresh failed, daemon is busy. Please try later. Block received: 0"
What am I doing wrong.

Is your bitmonerod program still downloading the blockchain? Has it said synchronized ok?
surfer43

Activity: 560
Merit: 250

"Trading Platform of The Future!"

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 04:44:11 AM

Hello.
My OS is Windows7 64.
What am I doing wrong.
You have to wait for the daemon to sync with the network.
Legko

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 04:56:54 AM

Is your bitmonerod program still downloading the blockchain? Has it said synchronized ok?
Yes, I downloaded https://mega.co.nz/#!WVZ2RZwI!um6D8jSVw618P6NmgQeLtrkB1dUJXIjcpylIjO-P7sk
And place in %AppData%/bitmonero
What I have not done? Thank you in advance for your help
eizh

Activity: 560

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 05:10:07 AM

Yes, I downloaded https://mega.co.nz/#!WVZ2RZwI!um6D8jSVw618P6NmgQeLtrkB1dUJXIjcpylIjO-P7sk
And place in %AppData%/bitmonero
What I have not done? Thank you in advance for your help

That's 3 days behind so you may need to wait longer to sync up to the present time. When the sync is finished, there will be a bunch of green text saying SYNCHRONIZED OK. We're currently at block 22160. To check how far you've synced, type print_block 50000 (or any number larger than the current block) in the bitmonerod terminal (not the wallet).

I'll update the blockchain uploads tomorrow.
blaaaaacksuit

Activity: 280

Who cares?

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 05:49:52 AM

I created a new wallet and typed exit.  Restarted simplewallet.exe with the "--wallet mywallet.bin" arguments but it just prints out how it cant find mywallet.keys file.  I'm looking right at the mywallet.keys file that was created, is there some special place I have to put it?  This is Win 7 64 I'm running.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 06:04:57 AM

I created a new wallet and typed exit.  Restarted simplewallet.exe with the "--wallet mywallet.bin" arguments but it just prints out how it cant find mywallet.keys file.  I'm looking right at the mywallet.keys file that was created, is there some special place I have to put it?  This is Win 7 64 I'm running.

Is your wallet called mywallet.bin or mywallet? The keys file is whatever name you give it plus .keys.

blaaaaacksuit

Activity: 280

Who cares?

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 06:21:38 AM

Is your wallet called mywallet.bin or mywallet? The keys file is whatever name you give it plus .keys.

Ok I figured it out, I didn't type save after creating and refreshing my wallet.  Thanks anyway smooth. 
MadCow

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 07:03:17 AM

I'm trying to install Monero on a 1GB digitalocean VPS. I've followed all the instructions from here:
http://monero.cc/getting-started#linux-tutorial

When I try and run 'make'  I get this error output which indicates that my VPS  'CPU you selected does not support x86-64 instruction set'

Does that mean 1GB digitalocean has too weak a CPU to even experiment with?

Code:
monero@Monero:~/boost_1_55_0$ cd bitmonero
monero@Monero:~/boost_1_55_0/bitmonero$ mkdir build
monero@Monero:~/boost_1_55_0/bitmonero$ make
mkdir -p build/release
cd build/release && cmake -D CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ../..
-- The C compiler identification is GNU 4.8.1
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 4.8.1
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
-- Boost version: 1.55.0
-- Found the following Boost libraries:
--   system
--   filesystem
--   thread
--   date_time
--   chrono
--   regex
--   serialization
--   atomic
--   program_options
-- Found Git: /usr/bin/git
-- Found PythonInterp: /usr/bin/python (found version "2.7.5")
-- Looking for include file pthread.h
-- Looking for include file pthread.h - not found
-- Could NOT find Threads (missing:  Threads_FOUND)
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/monero/boost_1_55_0/bitmonero/build/release
cd build/release && make
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/monero/boost_1_55_0/bitmonero/build/release'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/monero/boost_1_55_0/bitmonero/build/release'
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/monero/boost_1_55_0/bitmonero/build/release'
Scanning dependencies of target version
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/monero/boost_1_55_0/bitmonero/build/release'
fatal: No names found, cannot describe anything.
CMake Warning at src/version.cmake:3 (message):
  Cannot determine current revision.  Make sure that you are building either
  from a Git working tree or from a source archive.

[  0%] Built target version
Scanning dependencies of target upnpc-static
[  1%] Building C object external/miniupnpc/CMakeFiles/upnpc-static.dir/igd_desc_parse.c.o
/home/monero/boost_1_55_0/bitmonero/external/miniupnpc/igd_desc_parse.c:1:0: [b]error: CPU you selected does not support x86-64 instruction set[/b]
 /* $Id: igd_desc_parse.c,v 1.14 2011/04/11 09:19:24 nanard Exp $ */
 ^
make[3]: *** [external/miniupnpc/CMakeFiles/upnpc-static.dir/igd_desc_parse.c.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [external/miniupnpc/CMakeFiles/upnpc-static.dir/all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/monero/boost_1_55_0/bitmonero/build/release'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/monero/boost_1_55_0/bitmonero/build/release'
make: *** [build-release] Error 2
monero@Monero:~/boost_1_55_0/bitmonero$ cd build/release/src
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: