Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:02:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 [748] 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667218 times)
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2014, 09:32:59 AM

Anybody else experiencing issues with moneropool.com?

Miner is hashing away, yet the pool dash shows no shares or hashrate.

Edit: Also I think pool hash fell considerably.. Not fudding, just raising awareness with what's been going on recently Smiley

We're looking into it meanwhile everyone please move your miners off moneropool.com. The pool is clearly having trouble and its has rate is down to a tiny fraction of normal.

Anyone who is prepared to fire up AWS instances or GPU rigs or anything else to help support the network while moneropool.com is impaired, please do so.

Ok wallet42 has confirmed it's just a DDoS.

In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
macsga
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1002

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 09:36:47 AM

Regardless of the debates and objections here, this is *STILL* a nice price for an entry point. I 'm thinking of doubling my holdings. Thoughts?

Chaos could be a form of intelligence we cannot yet understand its complexity.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 09:39:17 AM

Edit: Also I think pool hash fell considerably.. Not fudding, just raising awareness with what's been going on recently Smiley

We're looking into it meanwhile everyone please move your miners off moneropool.com. The pool is clearly having trouble and its has rate is down to a tiny fraction of normal.

Anyone who is prepared to fire up AWS instances or GPU rigs or anything else to help support the network while moneropool.com is impaired, please do so.

Not to minimize the significance of this. moneropool.com is the largest pool, so a DDoS there is a big deal.

Anyone who can mine, please mine, and if you are pool mining, use smaller ones and make sure you have backup pools configured.
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 09:40:45 AM

I'm at max instances already, unfortunately (30). I'll check if I can raise it.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 09:41:42 AM

I would respectfully request that if you insist on discussing this, that any and all comments or posts discussing ideas around "dev blocks", miner tax, adjusting the emission curve, threats to sell your stash if X happens, calls for the core team to wade through walls of posts and make some comment, and anything of that nature be taken to the MEW thread or anywhere else.

Let's, please, solidify ourselves and retain some degree of unity as we restart our activities and reevaluate our priorities, and we can have these in-depth and controversial discussions once the smoke has cleared.

I concur with my team mate fluffypony.

A proposal has been made within MEW on this matter and that is the best place to discuss it.

if you think the community will ever accept changes on emission or a dev block you are 100% wrong :p

I want to agree with the core team members fluffypony and smooth here: The question of possible slashing of emission rate, with no change in total number of coins, will be addressed in due time in MEW first. It will be thoroughly discussed. Then it will be voted upon. Iff the votes are overwhelmingly in favor of a change, we will expect the change to happen. If not, there will be no change. The most difficult situation would be a close call or a strongly divided community, but we have the resources to handle these cases also.

Only after it is clear if the community favors the change, will the devs even need to care about it. This lets them concentrate on their work (which admittedly they have a lot in front of them) and the MEW can concentrate on funding them (we already raised 2,500 XMR for the devs in 2 days).

The discussion about the topic is very intriguing, but since it requires community vote instead of a I-yell-louder-with-more-sockpuppets-than-you contest (which btw was the way how the emission was voted upon last time, and the quickmine won over a more moderate curve), I exhort everyone who wants to have a vote, to join MEW. Smiley

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
sparky999

Activity: 473
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 10:52:13 AM

I would respectfully request that if you insist on discussing this, that any and all comments or posts discussing ideas around "dev blocks", miner tax, adjusting the emission curve, threats to sell your stash if X happens, calls for the core team to wade through walls of posts and make some comment, and anything of that nature be taken to the MEW thread or anywhere else.

Let's, please, solidify ourselves and retain some degree of unity as we restart our activities and reevaluate our priorities, and we can have these in-depth and controversial discussions once the smoke has cleared.

A proposal has been made within MEW on this matter and that is the best place to discuss it.

if you think the community will ever accept changes on emission or a dev block you are 100% wrong :p

I want to agree with the core team members fluffypony and smooth here: The question of possible slashing of emission rate, with no change in total number of coins, will be addressed in due time in MEW first. It will be thoroughly discussed. Then it will be voted upon. Iff the votes are overwhelmingly in favor of a change, we will expect the change to happen. If not, there will be no change. The most difficult situation would be a close call or a strongly divided community, but we have the resources to handle these cases also.

Only after it is clear if the community favors the change, will the devs even need to care about it. This lets them concentrate on their work (which admittedly they have a lot in front of them) and the MEW can concentrate on funding them (we already raised 2,500 XMR for the devs in 2 days).

The discussion about the topic is very intriguing, but since it requires community vote instead of a I-yell-louder-with-more-sockpuppets-than-you contest (which btw was the way how the emission was voted upon last time, and the quickmine won over a more moderate curve), I exhort everyone who wants to have a vote, to join MEW. Smiley

Disclosing the amount raised, discloses the amount of votes available within MEW. I could now send 1000XMR to MEW and control 20% of the voting. This seems like a very serious flaw in the plan. In theory it would only take a maximum of 5 sock puppet accounts sending the max donation to control 50% of MEW voting rights that seems an absurdly low number.
DLow

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 11:15:12 AM

Back to normal. All good.
myagui
Legendary

Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 11:31:27 AM

Disclosing the amount raised, discloses the amount of votes available within MEW. I could now send 1000XMR to MEW and control 20% of the voting. This seems like a very serious flaw in the plan. In theory it would only take a maximum of 5 sock puppet accounts sending the max donation to control 50% of MEW voting rights that seems an absurdly low number.

Minimal response:
So you join MEW with 1000 XMR (not a small sum), and you get 20% votes. What now? There are presumably legitimate members holding the other 80%, and your influence powers seem rather small for what you just paid. Take your extreme example: 5 sock puppets do the same, enter with max, 1000 XMR. This group now has over 50% of the votes. All you managed to do, was to fund the core development team with 2500 XMR, to gain a majority voting position in a community group that bears no control whatsoever over development. Bravo.
Continue throwing XMR at it with more puppets, and all you'll get is "some" MEW 2.0 would eventually be formed, with some refinement to the entry barrier to further deny the presence of shills & sock puppets. All the while, the core development team would have been funded with 50% of all this XMR, pretty good.

If only sock puppets were such generous donators.  Roll Eyes

Again, this is not at all the place for this discussion. Have you tried the MEW thread yet?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=776479.0

Nekomata

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 11:33:26 AM
Last edit: April 19, 2015, 05:57:05 AM by Nekomata

XMR is the future.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 12:06:40 PM

Is there an active prioritized bounty list? That's a start.

Apparently the developer group at some point became very opposed to continuing to use bounties (which we did early on). I was not directly part of that decision and have no opinion on it so I can't comment.

EDIT: Although, I would add a small opinion. There has been an active bounty for an AMD GPU miner since the very beginning, one to which I pledged (the largest pledge if I'm not mistake). Not only has the bounty not produced such a miner, but no one has pledged anything more toward the bounty since that time either. So based on my limited experience I'd say it suffers from the same failure as other forms of voluntary contributions.

It lacked the structure conducive to success.  One which has been frequently successful is to capture expressions of interest until the value is sufficient to make successful completion highly probable, then to get the funds committed, and only then to initiate the work.  Upon passage of clearly defined success criteria, finally to pay out.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 12:22:56 PM

Is there an active prioritized bounty list? That's a start.

Apparently the developer group at some point became very opposed to continuing to use bounties (which we did early on). I was not directly part of that decision and have no opinion on it so I can't comment.

EDIT: Although, I would add a small opinion. There has been an active bounty for an AMD GPU miner since the very beginning, one to which I pledged (the largest pledge if I'm not mistake). Not only has the bounty not produced such a miner, but no one has pledged anything more toward the bounty since that time either. So based on my limited experience I'd say it suffers from the same failure as other forms of voluntary contributions.

It lacked the structure conducive to success.  One which has been frequently successful is to capture expressions of interest until the value is sufficient to make successful completion highly probable, then to get the funds committed, and only then to initiate the work.  Upon passage of clearly defined success criteria, finally to pay out.

That was extremely close to the structure used. It likely failed at the first stage, in that expressions of interest were insufficient, and increases in the expressions of interest have been zero for months.

Furthermore, no one has stepped forward to improve the process either. Let someone else pay is approximately the same as let someone else do the work in this context. There is no AMD miner because of both.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 12:25:57 PM

Yes exactly. This is progressive discussion that we can expect if the dev team opens a directed bounty thread as I suggested.

I repeat, anyone can open a thread if the existing one is seen as insufficient. I hope the new thread has more success than the old one.

As I said, the dev team has moved away from bounties as a preferred process, but we can't stop others from organizing them, and don't really discourage it either, if it doesn't overlap with work we are already doing or for which we have developed conflicting plans (and AMD miner is not such a work item).

This is an open source community project. You are not customers you are participants, if you choose to be.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 12:36:35 PM

If you want to change it, why not just hardfork and take the devs that agree with you? I think changing the original is highly unfair to current holders that don't agree. Just fork and let the true economy (not a private organization such as MEW) decide.
digicoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 12:38:30 PM

I think that trollers are welcomed, even they are making noise only. XMR is under time-based stress test. I want to see how this community can grow up everyday.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 01:04:09 PM

Yes exactly. This is progressive discussion that we can expect if the dev team opens a directed bounty thread as I suggested.

I repeat, anyone can open a thread if the existing one is seen as insufficient. I hope the new thread has more success than the old one.

As I said, the dev team has moved away from bounties as a preferred process, but we can't stop others from organizing them, and don't really discourage it either, if it doesn't overlap with work we are already doing or for which we have developed conflicting plans (and AMD miner is not such a work item).

This is an open source community project. You are not customers you are participants, if you choose to be.

In the context of what I proposed the devs do need to initiate it, at least at the beginning until a suitable volunteer could be found, andthey need to endorse it and be an active part of it. Instead we get "heres an address, give us money" and discussions of taxing the userbase.

You keep repeating the same null points so I can only assume you have made up your mind based on those false pretenses and no matter what discussions or propositions, that is what it is. Yes its an open community, but I am talking about an integrative funding model thats closely knit into the development process. Im not talking about a bounty for a damn miner software that was poorly executed. Tell us, what exactly are the developments the dev team is working on? What are the timelines, task lists, expenses? Pony up that info and you have the relevant framework to build a donation/bounty funding model for Xmr development. Or you can keep talking about how poorly the GPU miner bounty was executed and use that as a basis to shut down any discussions about it.

All I can say is, we have limited time (100% of us are doing this on a volunteer part time basis in our free time) and have spent most of it at this point fighting fires. You can talk all you want about "integrative funding models" but unless someone steps forward to do the work on that, it won't happen soon if at all.

I did say that we will have a spreadsheet as described earlier for crowdfunding of various work items. Even that hasn't been done yet for the above reason. It isn't hard and might not satisfy you but it still takes time to put together.

You still aren't getting it. If you want something done around here, you either volunteer to do it, or pay someone to do it. If not, then you get whatever free work you get and that's it.
nakaone

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 01:15:45 PM

what is funny in xmr is that we have a shitload of whales swimming around here compared to other alts and we still have problems financing development.

even from an investors perspective the expected value of financing development will be one of the best deals we could ever make still it somewhat fails.

classical game thoretic single shot prisonners dilemma / tragedy of the commons - there is one proper solution for this kind of shit and that is institutions. maybe mew, even though I still have questions, is the answer.
equipoise

Activity: 794
Merit: 1000

Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2014, 01:21:58 PM

blaaa blaaa
Bounty: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=656841.0
Unfinished CryptoNight OpenCL (AMD) miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=671784.0
If you need an open source AMD miner then feel free to add some XMR to the bounty, find/hire someone to code it, code it yourself, cooperate with some other, who need it or whatever you want, but please let the core dev team work on the priorities:

The constant attacks, both actual and threatened, have left us running around chasing our tails for a month. Now is not the time or create disarray and suck up time in circuitous debates

About me | zRMicroArray - phase 2 - Gene Expression Analysis software | [Weed Like to Talk - Bulgaria] Start a wave of cannabis seminars in Europe | Monero weighted average price stats: moneroprice.i2p
BTC: 1KoCX7TWKVGwqmmFw3CKyUSrKRSStueZar | NMC: NKhYEYpe1Le9MwHrwKsdSm5617J4toVar9 | XMR (Tip me a beer OpenAlias Monero address): tip.changetheworldwork.com
[XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency: 4AyRmUcxzefB5quumzK3HNE4zmCiGc8vhG6fE1oJpGVyVZF7fvDgSpt3MzgLfQ6Q1719xQhmfkM9Z2u NXgDMqYhjJVmc6KX
Miki

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 01:58:55 PM

Moneropool.com needs to stop accepting new miners, its already at 50% net hash rate.

Miners please switch to smaller pools for the time being, i myself mine at monero.rs (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=791015) . Stable pool with innovative features.
alloffmyhate

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

It's Never End

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 02:16:56 PM

Moneropool.com needs to stop accepting new miners, its already at 50% net hash rate.

Miners please switch to smaller pools for the time being, i myself mine at monero.rs (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=791015) . Stable pool with innovative features.

yes this pool must be close to accepting new miner

aerbax

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2014, 03:08:08 PM

I'm only seeing them at ~30% .  But we've seen this before, and the best solution at the time was to increase the pool fees rather than shutting it down to new miners. 

They could then direct those extra fees to the devs.  Two birds...

Pages: « 1 ... 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 [748] 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: