Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:26:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 [925] 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667223 times)
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 03:29:12 PM

the forum software seems pretty awful.  i find it mostly unusable, and suggest cutting losses, switching to something low maintenance, off the shelf.  i don't like to be critical, and there may be lots of good rational forward reasons for the situation, but with the clarity of hindsight, we should be able to acknowledge that it's pretty poor, and probably too costly to improve adequately.  not that i can say with confidence that an off-the-shelf alternative exists which would provide better service at lower cost, but it does seem very likely.

I sincerely hope  that no one with any talent is actually putting hours into building those forums. I could scarcely think of a greater waste of so sorely-needed effort.

You beat me to it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 03:53:38 PM

http://www.devfactor.net/2014/12/30/2375-amazon-mistake/

What do you think the chances are that they actually mean that it mines XMR here? Someone with the skills to steal all those API keys wouldn't be stupid enough to actually waste the EC2 clouds mining BTC I'd imagine.

Yes, I hear that anyone can start up a free AWS trial with a prepaid CC (gift card etc) with a small amount on the card, then milk it until they get cancelled. Rinse and repeat. I don't do such a thing myself, but it could explain the massive dumps - they have no cost.

Atrides

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Admin of DwarfPool.com

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2014, 05:22:38 PM
Last edit: December 31, 2014, 06:15:18 PM by Atrides

as a forum is not available for many users, here once again:

Dear Monero miners, investors (exchange wales) or just fans,

you might heard from decentralizated "OpenBazaar". This is a genial idea, especially would be for Monero, that's able to bring Monero to Real World.

I think we have to deal fast because of our main competitor and also of changing character of cryptoworld. Monero's technical site is strong, but only infrastructure around it will get the sense and increase its price and capitalization many times more.

I suppose, there are enough Monero holders, interested in Monero's growth and in getting profited. Many find the bazaar for Monero a revolution idea, but without more initiative nothing will happen.

That's why I am opening an investment foundation for devepoling of FreeBazaar.

I still looked into "original" Bazaar, some features are not ready yet, but there is the ground here, enough to me so far. I created an account on Github for FreeBazaar and would lead the project if you do not mind

Some words about my specialization. I am a freelancer, late senior engineer of Large internationally-known Company. With more than 10 years experience in web-developing and system administration. Amongst others I have a considerable experience in communication's low level and see OpenBazaar's lacks and disadvantages. I'd use more optimal and userfriendly functions, as well as the other communication protocol with native TOR support etc..

I finished my last project some days ago and now ready to spend to 70% of my work time to FreeBazaar to get it quicker.

This would be the rough FreeBazaar plan:

1. As a first step I estimate to integrate Monero into Bazaar
2. the managing a usable state to real use
3. implementing further unique features

I suggest the first task for 10k XMR might take about a month 50%-work time of me. If there will be more investment, I will succeed to find more time, get to take part another developers and finish earlier. or it get for next steps.

If we will gather a foundation till 6.01.15, I'll post out more detailed plan, the list of investors. we'll organize a closed investment group on google docs and I'll keep the members up-to-date.

If we won't reach the sum, I'll give all funds back at the same day and close this theme.

Please contact me with your suggestions, questions and I wish you happy New Year!

This is the foundation address:

Code:
45jWVQzoyRdH8bd8CA66yBHYQ4ZXmfw81KCr1PdbzcDJND65L5sFzFmN5ty1tzhk3EPHnUfLqB8SpLfPRQAnNnaB1x958c9

After the transaction please PM me with your name and TX!

DwarfPool Quality you can trust! http://DwarfPool.com Reliable Monero, Zcash and ETH Pool Monero Proxy
Anonymous pool with failover servers and PPS, Profit Calculator and Price chart: [XMR][ETH][ZEC]... Support thread
MoneroClub - free P2P Exchange Platform www.MoneroClub.com
pa

Activity: 528
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 05:27:34 PM

as a forum is not available for many users, here once again:

Dear Monero miners, investors or just fans,

you might heard from decentralizated "OpenBazaar". This is a genial idea, especially would be for Monero, that's able to bring Monero to Real World.

I think we have to deal fast because of our main competitor and also of changing character of cryptoworld. Monero's technical site is strong, but only infrastructure around it will get the sense and increase its price and capitalization many times more.

I suppose, there are enough Monero holders, interested in Monero's growth and in getting profited. Many find the bazaar for Monero a revolution idea, but without more initiative nothing will happen.

I still looked into "original" Bazaar, some features are not ready yet, but there is the ground here, enough to me so far. I created an account on Github for FreeBazaar and would lead the project if you do not mind

Some words about my specialization. I am a freelancer, late senior engineer of Large internationally-known Company. With more than 10 years experience in web-developing and system administration. Amongst others I have a considerable experience in communication's low level and see OpenBazaar's lacks and disadvantages. I'd use more optimal and userfriendly functions, as well as the other communication protocol with native TOR support etc..

I finished my last project some days ago and now ready to spend to 70% of my work time to FreeBazaar to get it quicker.

This would be the rough FreeBazaar plan:

1. As a first step I estimate to integrate Monero into Bazaar
2. the managing a usable state to real use
3. implementing further unique features

I suggest the first task for 10k XMR might take about a month 50%-work time of me. If there will be more investment, I will succeed to find more time, get to take part another developers and finish earlier. or it get for next steps.

If we will gather a foundation till 6.01.15, I'll post out more detailed plan, the list of investors. we'll organize a closed investment group on google docs and I'll keep the members up-to-date.

If we won't reach the sum, I'll give all funds back at the same day and close this theme.

Please contact me with your suggestions, questions and I wish you happy New Year!

This is the foundation address:

Code:
45jWVQzoyRdH8bd8CA66yBHYQ4ZXmfw81KCr1PdbzcDJND65L5sFzFmN5ty1tzhk3EPHnUfLqB8SpLfPRQAnNnaB1x958c9

After the transaction please PM me with your name and TX!

Don't you need the XMR devs to figure out multi-sig before integrating XMR into OpenBazaar?
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 05:35:43 PM

Don't you need the XMR devs to figure out multi-sig before integrating XMR into OpenBazaar?

FreeBazaar not OpenBazaar (if that is indeed a difference) and I believe the plan is to start with escrow until multisig is in place.
Atrides

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Admin of DwarfPool.com

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2014, 06:09:34 PM
Last edit: December 31, 2014, 07:06:10 PM by Atrides

we have been discussed this point with devs and they agreed, that multi-sig is not necessarily at the moment. I do not want to waste time and can start without it, with possibility that people will appear as escrow- /arbiter service. multi-sig will be implemented later.

To clear one point. This is like "crowdfunding" open source project, it is free for everyone, we won't earn something directly from bazaar.
But with Bazaar we will win the real markets and bring Monero into the real life. this will increase Monero's value many times more.

so, your profit will be the increasing times more of your monero's fortune.

DwarfPool Quality you can trust! http://DwarfPool.com Reliable Monero, Zcash and ETH Pool Monero Proxy
Anonymous pool with failover servers and PPS, Profit Calculator and Price chart: [XMR][ETH][ZEC]... Support thread
MoneroClub - free P2P Exchange Platform www.MoneroClub.com
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 07:10:07 PM

I know it's not related to your post, but your admonition made me think.  Maybe David L. or someone will see this.

I did at one time try http(s)://forum.monero.cc

But soon after my account was un-login-able and the barrier to entry became just enough to make me be completely uninterested in taking part in that forum. Here's the thing... we all have busy lives.  And I don't have the time to jump through multiple flaming hoops to make something work. If you want to build a successful competitive online community to one that already exists I would suggest making barriers to entry pretty low.

I can try to log in, and it does not work.  I can ask to reset my password and it says it will email me and does not.

"Oops!
Your account is inactive."

Oops indeed.  But not my oops.

generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2014, 09:08:00 PM

we have been discussed this point with devs and they agreed, that multi-sig is not necessarily at the moment. I do not want to waste time and can start without it, with possibility that people will appear as escrow- /arbiter service. multi-sig will be implemented later.

To clear one point. This is like "crowdfunding" open source project, it is free for everyone, we won't earn something directly from bazaar.
But with Bazaar we will win the real markets and bring Monero into the real life. this will increase Monero's value many times more.

so, your profit will be the increasing times more of your monero's fortune.

I'd definitely chip in for this. Is there a place we can post info and updates where everyone can log-in?

Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 09:14:29 PM

What do you think the chances are that they actually mean that it mines XMR here? Someone with the skills to steal all those API keys wouldn't be stupid enough to actually waste the EC2 clouds mining BTC I'd imagine.

Yes, I hear that anyone can start up a free AWS trial with a prepaid CC (gift card etc) with a small amount on the card, then milk it until they get cancelled. Rinse and repeat. I don't do such a thing myself, but it could explain the massive dumps - they have no cost.

Yeah, it's not just AWS either. Any cloud company with any sort of free trial gets exploited too. It's just a question of how fast they shut you down once they see mining going on. I think I've seen people post about Digital Ocean quickly shutting them down for mining.
5w00p

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 10:07:40 PM

Yeah, it's not just AWS either. Any cloud company with any sort of free trial gets exploited too. It's just a question of how fast they shut you down once they see mining going on. I think I've seen people post about Digital Ocean quickly shutting them down for mining.

Here is the thing about AWS (Amazon Web Services) EC2 Compute Cloud and the free trial:

A trial account is limited to only the micro instances, and on top of that, the CPU(s) get(s) throttled back to ~6 hash/sec after only a few minutes.  So, the AWS trial is not very practical for mining.

(now g006l3 on the other hand...)
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 11:01:51 PM

Someone on reddit had this happen to them:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2qxkfj/there_are_now_bots_searching_github_for_aws_keys/cnaot90

"Had this happen a month ago with an exposed AWS key to the tune of $20K, apparently mining Minero coin. Their bot beat the AWS defensive bot's warning by about eight hours."

lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 02:17:38 AM

To the devs,

The Monero.cc website can use major improvements. The Monero forums are terrible and barley useable. I propose that the domain be transfered to me and I will personally host the Monero website as well as be the one that upkeeps the forums and implements website appearance improvements. If you guys already have a new template started feel free to send that to me as well.

The website needs help and needs to appear legitimate, if you guys are busy at least get some community members that are willing to work on it.....to actually work on it.

Right now this is the only thing I can offer this community.

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2015, 06:16:00 AM

To the devs,

The Monero.cc website can use major improvements. The Monero forums are terrible and barley useable. I propose that the domain be transfered to me and I will personally host the Monero website as well as be the one that upkeeps the forums and implements website appearance improvements. If you guys already have a new template started feel free to send that to me as well.

The website needs help and needs to appear legitimate, if you guys are busy at least get some community members that are willing to work on it.....to actually work on it.

^^^^  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

i just tried to post on there and got the "oops something went wrong"

lythos - I think the best approach would be build it first, then present it to the community. If the devs (and/or the community) think its good, then pointing the domain isn't that much of a hassle.

I currently own paymonero.com (at least for a year, and at some point will eventually serve as an equivalent to bitpay, but lord knows I can't develop), but for now we could develop an adequate forum there. Just PM me and we can figure out the stuff with the things. I'm also on IRC freenode at Gingeropolous, and u can also get me at  gingeropolous@gmail.com

I think we run into the problem where I think the devs have in the works some killer shit (and thats a technical term) in the form of 1) database that kicks bitcoins ass 2) posh lookin website 3) GUI that will make the whole process as amazingly awesome as using room temperature butter on fresh toast (is there anything more satisfying?). So its like the general community could develop some non-core stuff, but then the core team comes out and is like "oh hey we were doin this but just wanted to make a big splash" .

But, 1) i could be wrong

or 2) maybe the core-dev website won't have a forum, so we should just go ahead.

I got a domain.... anybody got any hosting?

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2015, 06:37:14 AM

could also make sense to get ahold of wallet42

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=647601.0

who owns monerotalk.org, which currently also has a forum up that is not ideal (IMO... no offense wallet42).

Also, whats the communities opinion on the best 750 ti card for mining?

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
jehst

Activity: 798

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 07:03:37 AM

To the devs,

Contact and show them the work you've done.  I assume they need to vet you as you're not the first person to offer to take charge of the website.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
lyth0s
Legendary

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 07:15:56 AM

To the devs,

Contact and show them the work you've done.  I assume they need to vet you as you're not the first person to offer to take charge of the website.

I've been in contact with them actually and from what I've been told they have a 1/2 way built template that they want to launch at some point in the future. They have a lot more technical stuff on their plates, which is why I have offered to offer some simple web design support. I'm not saying I'm a website god, but I can sure make it a lot better than it is now.

For instance on the home page annoucements it says "Announcements^

[Logo contest - till 28 April - bounty 300 XMR]
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=580155"

April 28 was a lonnnng time ago. Site just hasn't been updated or maintained.

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
5w00p

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 07:30:29 AM

Also, whats the communities opinion on the best 750 ti card for mining?

The one that costs you the least.

A 750Ti is pretty much a 750Ti, the real differences being the heatsink/fan(s) combo and the stock speeds the GPU is set at from the factory.
jehst

Activity: 798

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 08:36:12 AM
Last edit: January 01, 2015, 09:06:54 AM by jehst

I've been in contact with them actually and from what I've been told they have a 1/2 way built template that they want to launch at some point in the future.

From what I could see of the GUI preview, the GUI features an announcements feed, so I suppose they are custom-building the website so that it's linked to Twitter feed and the GUI so that everything is connected in at least one way (and possibly others). Throwing up a quick pre-made template website in the interim was an option, but once that was up, it would've created even more work to move over all the content to the new website. The GUI is waiting on the DB, so everything's just going to have to flow sequentially.

It's not like there's a big influx of new users into cryptocurrency at the moment creating a pressing need for marketing and accessibility. There's time. It's good that you're willing to volunteer. I think there will be more opportunities for the the non-coders to contribute later, especially in translating documentation into our languages and offering our services in exchange for XMR.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
arnuschky

Activity: 517

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 10:37:14 AM

Question: I haven't started monerod in a while, and now it seems that it's not syncing.
It seems that it tries to connect to non-existant hosts (hosts from last time I started
the daemon as the log if full of these messages:

Code:
2015-Jan-01 11:32:52.617537 [P2P4]Selected peer: xxx 119.51.20.196:18080[white=1] last_seen: d161.h23.m49.s15
2015-Jan-01 11:32:52.617557 [P2P4]Connecting to 119.51.20.196:18080(white=1, last_seen: d161.h23.m49.s15)...
2015-Jan-01 11:32:53.119470 [P2P4][0.0.0.0:0 OUT]Connect failed to 119.51.20.196:18080

All this for various different IPs. Is there somewhere an peer cache that I can flush and
re-seed this cache? Or what else do I need to do to get it to sync?
arnuschky

Activity: 517

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 10:51:13 AM

Question: I haven't started monerod in a while, and now it seems that it's not syncing.
It seems that it tries to connect to non-existant hosts (hosts from last time I started
the daemon as the log if full of these messages:

Code:
2015-Jan-01 11:32:52.617537 [P2P4]Selected peer: xxx 119.51.20.196:18080[white=1] last_seen: d161.h23.m49.s15
2015-Jan-01 11:32:52.617557 [P2P4]Connecting to 119.51.20.196:18080(white=1, last_seen: d161.h23.m49.s15)...
2015-Jan-01 11:32:53.119470 [P2P4][0.0.0.0:0 OUT]Connect failed to 119.51.20.196:18080

All this for various different IPs. Is there somewhere an peer cache that I can flush and
re-seed this cache? Or what else do I need to do to get it to sync?

Found it myself, deleting .bitmonero/p2pstate.bin and then starting the daemon using ./bitmonerod --seed-node 182.92.104.160:18080 did the trick. Is there somewhere a repository of valid seed nodes?

Pages: « 1 ... 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 [925] 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: