Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 09:05:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 166 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How many bitcoins do I need to retire in 20 years?  (Read 320307 times)
mrhelpful
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 02:11:01 AM

if people aren't spending bitcoins - that's what i see/read around here; everybody is waiting for the price to sky rocket - this means we are creating our own bubble and we will 'die' in it! We only buy bitcoins, so the price at this moment is above, super above of what a bitcoin really value.

Until the market starts to flow naturally - peoples actually using bitcoin in their purchases - we don't know the real price of it! actually, the current price is OVERRATED for sure, because people only BUYS it!!!!!
Already flowing. Scarcity provides value along with utility.
Its more complex than you think.

i know that!

21million bitcoins for 7billion people, makes 1bitcoin to worth maybe millions! i don't know!

But at the moment, 270$ maybe a 'bubble price'! at the moment the real price is lower than this number.

Most of the bitcoin bubble phase are settled.

Unless you assume like the twins exchange to be in the same default like mt gox episode, but I doubt that since they are sticking it out for being a huge influence.
futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 02:34:24 AM

but gold has intrinsic value. people actually need it to work, to some industries, jewelry, etc. Gold will always have value.

bitcoin dont.

don't get me wrong, im not against bitcoin (actually i love it), i just love to see every aspects and possibilities and sometime play the devel's advocate to really understand where this is capable to go.

And don't follow than genius blindly because you have even more genius on the other side, the side that says bitcoin is a mirage!
I understand you like bitcoin; that's why you're here. But your arguments are simply wrong. What intrinsic value does gold have? Absolutely nothing. I always laugh when I hear people say that gold has intrinsic value. If you're stuck on a deserted island, what can gold do for you? Nothing. You can make jewelry with gold, but you can make jewelry with a lot of things. Plus you can melt the gold back down, and make something else; it isn't completely consumed. Gold doesn't have any "real" use. Even silver has more intrinsic value, because it is used in a lot of industries.

Bitcoin, on the other hand, DOES HAVE INTRINSIC VALUE. I'm not talking about the "backed by mathematics" bullshit. I'm talking about the blockchain's potential use as a secure, public database. Look at how much money companies like oracle are making now. Larry Ellison is one of the richest people on Earth. Bitcoin could potentially provide a better, more secure database system than anything oracle can ever make. There are also uses for bitcoin's blockchain in terms of smart contracts and such.

There are REAL WORLD USES for bitcoin/blockchain, that's why there are VCs willing to invest in the space. Bitcoin is like the "fuel" of the bitcoin blockchain, and it is required to keep the blockchain secure. That's it's intrinsic value. If people want to use the blockchain, they will have to pay with bitcoins.
techgeek

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 03:07:29 AM

all know bitcoin potencial is unlimited but let me ask you would you pay 10k dollars for 1 bitcoin? some people paid 1000 dollars and regret it ,anyway  i believe on potencial but i guess to retire on the next 20 years i  dont see bitcoin on such value may happen

Berkshire Hathaway shares cost over $215,000 yet people still buy them. Why? They rise in value. You can also buy fractions of them just like that pesky Bitcoin stuff.

They rise in value since of warren.

If its not for warrents cash injection on how he buys big companies for a deal, and increases them the hathaway shares also forms a crowd funding in a way so he can do this way more.

Also those people buying are already rich if you consider them buying $215k shares.

sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 03:13:58 AM

if people aren't spending bitcoins - that's what i see/read around here; everybody is waiting for the price to sky rocket - this means we are creating our own bubble and we will 'die' in it! We only buy bitcoins, so the price at this moment is above, super above of what a bitcoin really value.

Until the market starts to flow naturally - peoples actually using bitcoin in their purchases - we don't know the real price of it! actually, the current price is OVERRATED for sure, because people only BUYS it!!!!!
Already flowing. Scarcity provides value along with utility.
Its more complex than you think.

i know that!

21million bitcoins for 7billion people, makes 1bitcoin to worth maybe millions! i don't know!

But at the moment, 270$ maybe a 'bubble price'! at the moment the real price is lower than this number.
Scarcity does not mean it's a bubble asset. Also miners won't sell below this so real price is where it's at now. Intrinsic value comes from blockchain and mining efficiency leading to overall research on more efficient power. Inflation can now be tied to a real gdp leading indicator instead of these black numbers that are used today to brainwash people using shadow metrics.

This is the definition of a holy grail of currency(ideal money) according to John Nash the genius mathematician.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 07:03:20 AM

those that are not spending i believe are the minority, the other are whales that play with their enormous amount between themselves, to rise their balance even more

if you comparei this situation to the past, we are actually doing better, there are more merchants that accept bitcoin, thus making bitcoin spendable much easy, the price remain the same because of those big merchant that keep dumping everythign they earn
knowhow

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 01:17:38 PM

now we can bet gambling dice and play games with bitcoins even there is several faucets to earn before were harder and now there is too much of those anyway still being a mistery how much a bitcoin can worth on the next years
Yeezus

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 06:14:50 PM

Not everyone is waiting for this, but even if they were the more coins that are taken out of circulation by hoarding is good because it helps the supply and demand. If more people get involved and even do the same it would have a positive effect on the price.

knowhow

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 06:52:42 PM

well the market demand and offer works well and sure less bitcoins in circulation would make the price explode into new levels but there is always fast investors ,they get in make a small% and get out thats why bitcoin isnt raising and being soo volatil these last months,i guess when the mine process ends bitcoin will show its real value on that time and maybe sooner
stromma44

Activity: 952

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 08:10:07 PM

Not everyone is waiting for this, but even if they were the more coins that are taken out of circulation by hoarding is good because it helps the supply and demand. If more people get involved and even do the same it would have a positive effect on the price.

Yeah if more and more people gets involved in the bitcoins the prices will be more stable in the future and that is what we all are waiting for that bitcoin should achieve the stability in its price and how much bitcoins do we need at retirement age depends on the person that what lifestyle he wants after retiring so if he is looking for lavish lifestyle its time to work hard at present. Grin
knowhow

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 09:41:29 PM

Yeah if more and more people gets involved in the bitcoins the prices will be more stable in the future and that is what we all are waiting for that bitcoin should achieve the stability in its price and how much bitcoins do we need at retirement age depends on the person that what lifestyle he wants after retiring so if he is looking for lavish lifestyle its time to work hard at present. Grin

bitcoin will be everywhere on the next years we wont know how long it will take but we know it will stand as others ,soo the price will raise on the next years as we already see we need new and fresh money to make it bigger,soo more whales would be the way
torrentheaven

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 10:45:17 PM

bitcoin will be everywhere on the next years we wont know how long it will take but we know it will stand as others ,soo the price will raise on the next years as we already see we need new and fresh money to make it bigger,soo more whales would be the way

And we want that even the small shop keeper also accepts bitcoin as a mode of payment that day we can say that bitcoin is popular and successful. And now bitcoin is gaining popularity at the global level so once it gets into the mainstream the value of the bitcoin will be higher and stable too.
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 12:56:58 PM

Yep, hoarding supports the value, in fact all holding, small or large, (reservation demand) supports the value, and is the only thing that supports the value. Usage in payments helps to spread the word, though.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 03:06:18 PM

Is the bitcoin price way under the real price or in the bubble I don't know, but to be safe I would buy 10 BTCs and store them in the cold storage. With today's prices, this is not too much money, of course if you have any spare money to invest.

Yet, if this takes off, the sheer math ghat there is only 21 million max coins on 7+ billion people shows you a real potential.
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 03:09:40 PM

Is the bitcoin price way under the real price or in the bubble I don't know, but to be safe I would buy 10 BTCs and store them in the cold storage. With today's prices, this is not too much money, of course if you have any spare money to invest.

Yet, if this takes off, the sheer math ghat there is only 21 million max coins on 7+ billion people shows you a real potential.

And there's more.. it's not 21 million max coins, it's 21 million - the amount of coins that are lost forever which are a lot already, - the amount of coins that aren't yet mined at that particular moment in time. If demand is highly increasing then 6 figures of BTC are easily achiveable on a trillion marketcap.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 03:42:27 PM

And there's more.. it's not 21 million max coins, it's 21 million - the amount of coins that are lost forever which are a lot already, - the amount of coins that aren't yet mined at that particular moment in time. If demand is highly increasing then 6 figures of BTC are easily achiveable on a trillion marketcap.

Yes, I was talking about when the max supply hits 21 million which will not matter to us since we won't be alive then. So I am correcting myself here.

Yes, I completely forgot about all the lost coins which there are a lot. The only problem is that we might not never know how many for sure.
stromma44

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 07:59:30 PM

Exactly, there are people who believes that stability can make a difference. And even if the prices raise slowly won't make any difference to them as they are ready to wait rather then getting millionaire in a same day.

The only thing we need is the stability in the prices of bitcoins and that is only possible when more and more people starts adopting bitcoins then the prices will go high and remain stable at that point.
pureelite

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 08:27:40 PM

Lets say I want to buy bitcoins today and store them for 20 years to use a my retirement fund.  Live comfortably, but don't need to buy a yacht or anything.  How many do you think I would need to buy?

I think about how you should be thinking now , we need to earn a few hundred bitcoin , if you plan to live normally for life , but if you plan to live lavishly then you should have several thousand Bitcoin !
knowhow

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 10:15:33 PM

the supply and demand isnt affecting at the moment the price ,all days bitcoins changes hands ,the new users that get inside are very small yet but keep growing the number of new bitcoiners soo it can boom anytime soo around 500 bitcoins would make a good retirement on the next years
wearepoor

Activity: 784

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 01:31:10 AM

the supply and demand isnt affecting at the moment the price ,all days bitcoins changes hands ,the new users that get inside are very small yet but keep growing the number of new bitcoiners soo it can boom anytime soo around 500 bitcoins would make a good retirement on the next years

Don't you think 500 bitcoins is too much. I mean don't look at the current value, imagine about the future value like may be 4k or $5k then 100 bitcoins would be enough at the retirement age. My goal is to have atleast 100 bitcoins and I m done.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 07:06:13 AM

Don't you think 500 bitcoins is too much. I mean don't look at the current value, imagine about the future value like may be 4k or $5k then 100 bitcoins would be enough at the retirement age. My goal is to have atleast 100 bitcoins and I m done.

definitely 500 are too many , it's all about if you are willing to wait enough for bitcoin to rise, it's not actually a long wait, within 2020-2024 we should have a clear idea where bitcoin is aiming

even 10 would be enough if we can touch 100k for a moment and then fall back again, so it's not even a matter what will be the price in the future, but what ATH(or unstable high price) bitcoin can reach....

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 166 »
  Print  

Jump to: