Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 06:47:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 [205] 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 »
  Print  
Author Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer  (Read 387455 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 03:13:58 PM

And the Poloniex IPO hasn't even started yet
Busoni will be bankrupted by lawsuits in 6 months if that happens.  It would be the end of Poloniex.

I'm sure the language will be corrected.

They've already done similar for Qibucks as I'm sure you know, being a Poloniex regular. Were people there saying similar things about Qibucks when they did the initial sale on Poloniex?
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 03:17:14 PM

Busoni will be bankrupted by lawsuits in 6 months if that happens.  It would be the end of Poloniex.

They've already done similar for Qibucks as I'm sure you know, being a Poloniex regular. Were people there saying similar things about Qibucks when they did the initial sale on Poloniex?

Then it may be too late for poloniex.  I should probably pull my funds.

I don't think anybody even noticed QBK.  What was its high cap?  Enough to justify a lawsuit?

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
rdnkjdi
Legendary

Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 03:20:49 PM

Then it may be too late for poloniex.  I should probably pull my funds.

I don't think anybody even noticed QBK.  What was its high cap?  Enough to justify a lawsuit?

Whoa whoa whoa wait.  Hang on ... why is Poloniex gonna go bankrupt?
Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 03:25:01 PM

Busoni will be bankrupted by lawsuits in 6 months if that happens.  It would be the end of Poloniex.

Then it may be too late for poloniex.  I should probably pull my funds.

I don't think anybody even noticed QBK.  What was its high cap?  Enough to justify a lawsuit?

It's Qiwoman's asset backed coin I believe. They sold off 100 BTC of it priced at 20k satoshi if I remember correctly. Bagholders get dividends when the coins that they hold go up I think. Don't quote me on that because I haven't really taken the time to read in to it too much. But I definitely saw the ICO happen live on Poloniex.

edit: qiwoman and jtgangus are the two names I recognize from the troll box that are behind it. Seems there are more though but those are the two names that jump out at me.
Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 03:29:06 PM
Last edit: September 03, 2014, 03:48:05 PM by Este Nuno

Before everyone panics, does anyone have any lawyer friends who could perhaps drop in here and give their opinion?

Personally I love Poloniex and I would hate to see anything happen to them.

edit: https://poloniex.com/icdrequirements

I think it's going to be alright. Poloniex knows what they're doing.

I mean it's quite possible it's as simple as using the right language. Notice Poloniex refers to it only as "Initial Coin Distribution".
Skinnkavaj

Activity: 469
Merit: 250

English Motherfucker do you speak it ?

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 03:48:09 PM

Before everyone panics, does anyone have any lawyer friends who could perhaps drop in here and give their opinion?

I think it's going to be alright. Poloniex knows what their doing.
Poloniex and the free market making it's own rules in the wild west of BTC. SEC have more important things to harass.

Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 04:03:03 PM

I think it's going to be alright. Poloniex knows what their doing.
Poloniex and the free market making it's own rules in the wild west of BTC. SEC have more important things to harass.

I hope you are right.

Last thing we need is more innovation stifled by bureaucrats.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2014, 04:20:01 PM

I think it's going to be alright. Poloniex knows what they're doing.

I mean it's quite possible it's as simple as using the right language. Notice Poloniex refers to it only as "Initial Coin Distribution".

Poloniex is registered with USA FINCen nationally as an MSB in the state of Montana.
If they stay in compliance, and don't get in hot water with the SEC, they should be OK unless the legal landscape changes.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2014, 04:47:24 PM

^I do wish the input for the logo design and color scheme was a bit more openly crowdsourced.

It was very open.  There was a competition thread.  Many entries were submitted.  I have no idea of the mechanism by which the winner was selected.  I think it involved a consultant.  If so, they paid too much.  Boolberry's logo is not all that suitable, but it is an order of magnitude better.  Perhaps one day a reimaging might be considered.  I think it would be premature now.  The present choice has many virtues, in any case.  Even if it is ugly and orange.

I'm sorry, I wasn't too aware of the process when it happened since monero was then barely on my radar when I was just amateurishly mining MROs (when they were still called that). While I respect the move towards identity, at the same time, I'm just slightly put off that it's kind of generic, and that such a decision cannot be easily recalled. But the GUI is beautiful.

Can someone show me why orange and gray were the colors chosen aside from the fact it looks nice (in a generic way), or if there was any deeper symbolism to the logo? not that it matters much but man and his symbols always fascinate me
Joshuar

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

eidoo wallet

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 05:00:02 PM

^I do wish the input for the logo design and color scheme was a bit more openly crowdsourced.

It was very open.  There was a competition thread.  Many entries were submitted.  I have no idea of the mechanism by which the winner was selected.  I think it involved a consultant.  If so, they paid too much.  Boolberry's logo is not all that suitable, but it is an order of magnitude better.  Perhaps one day a reimaging might be considered.  I think it would be premature now.  The present choice has many virtues, in any case.  Even if it is ugly and orange.

I'm sorry, I wasn't too aware of the process when it happened since monero was then barely on my radar when I was just amateurishly mining MROs (when they were still called that). While I respect the move towards identity, at the same time, I'm just slightly put off that it's kind of generic, and that such a decision cannot be easily recalled. But the GUI is beautiful.

Can someone show me why orange and gray were the colors chosen aside from the fact it looks nice (in a generic way), or if there was any deeper symbolism to the logo? not that it matters much but man and his symbols always fascinate me

I read on google, that the color Orange, " combines the energy of red and the happiness of yellow. It is associated with joy, sunshine, and the tropics. Orange represents enthusiasm, fascination, happiness, creativity, determination, attraction, success, and stimulation"

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2014, 05:18:57 PM

I read on google, that the color Orange, " combines the energy of red and the happiness of yellow. It is associated with joy, sunshine, and the tropics. Orange represents enthusiasm, fascination, happiness, creativity, determination, attraction, success, and stimulation"

Yes—I'm just wondering if there's a less superficial answer.
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 05:25:30 PM

Personally I think the logo and color scheme is great! It is bold and striking without being flashy like many other coins. Do you want your money represented by something that looks like it should be on a cereal box?

The Monero logo is understated and tasteful, just as it should be. Cheesy

aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 05:32:12 PM

Poloniex is registered with USA FINCen nationally as an MSB in the state of Montana.
If they stay in compliance, and don't get in hot water with the SEC, they should be OK unless the legal landscape changes.

True.  But I think the "ICO" is very clearly in violation of the law.  This creates a liability when they are sued by investors who lose money as a result.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 05:35:12 PM

True.  But I think the "ICO" is very clearly in violation of the law.  This creates a liability when they are sued by investors who lose money as a result.

How could anyone lose money on this deal?

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2014, 05:51:56 PM

I hope he's vetting the SuperNet code.

amino, please reach out to busoni and warn him if you haven't already.  I like Polo and would hate to see it go!  Thanks.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 06:14:05 PM

True.  But I think the "ICO" is very clearly in violation of the law.  This creates a liability when they are sued by investors who lose money as a result.

Well, it's almost certainly not "clearly" in violation of the law considering it's uncharted territory in general. I'm not qualified to argue the point, so I won't. But I think you would probably agree that it's a complex subject that would end up resulting in at a minimum serious debate between pro-freedom legal minds and those of the government(who might not even consider such offerings an issue).

The closest thing that we've seen thus far is Erik Voorhees settling his case with the SEC after he sold his fully functioning company via shares  on MPEX. The SEC very likely wasn't 100% sure they would be able to win in court considering he sold SatoshiDICE for something like 13 million dollars at the time, yet settled with the SEC for $50,000 if I remember correctly. And the only similarity here is that the shares were bought with cryptocurrency. The offering itself wasn't a cryptocurrency, unlike Qibucks which is.

I don't think you can really compare decentralised cryptocurrency offering to securities, but I might be wrong about that and perhaps the SEC does see it that way. My gut feeling is that they don't, but Poloniex's lawyers will be the final word on this, and I hope things will continue as usual in our community without the ever present gaze of the SEC or any other governmental agency disrupting what's being built.
Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 06:15:13 PM

I hope he's vetting the SuperNet code.

amino, please reach out to busoni and warn him if you haven't already.  I like Polo and would hate to see it go!  Thanks.

Busoni is aware already. (just so everyone knows)
papa_lazzarou

Activity: 649
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 06:29:19 PM

Is it the time to buy XCN yet?
What's that supposed to mean? The market cap is ~30,000 60,000 are you expecting it to go lower? Tongue

Well, i read that the AMD miner was about to get out. Dunno if that is going to push the price down or not...
luigi1111
Legendary

Activity: 1105

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 06:41:30 PM

True.  But I think the "ICO" is very clearly in violation of the law.  This creates a liability when they are sued by investors who lose money as a result.

Well, it's almost certainly not "clearly" in violation of the law considering it's uncharted territory in general. I'm not qualified to argue the point, so I won't. But I think you would probably agree that it's a complex subject that would end up resulting in at a minimum serious debate between pro-freedom legal minds and those of the government(who might not even consider such offerings an issue).

The closest thing that we've seen thus far is Erik Voorhees settling his case with the SEC after he sold his fully functioning company via shares  on MPEX. The SEC very likely wasn't 100% sure they would be able to win in court considering he sold SatoshiDICE for something like 13 million dollars at the time, yet settled with the SEC for $50,000 if I remember correctly. And the only similarity here is that the shares were bought with cryptocurrency. The offering itself wasn't a cryptocurrency, unlike Qibucks which is.

I don't think you can really compare decentralised cryptocurrency offering to securities, but I might be wrong about that and perhaps the SEC does see it that way. My gut feeling is that they don't, but Poloniex's lawyers will be the final word on this, and I hope things will continue as usual in our community without the ever present gaze of the SEC or any other governmental agency disrupting what's being built.

There have been several IPO/ICOs already. QBK is just a recent one. There was LCL (Limecoin Lite), XBC (Bitcoin Plus), MIL (Millennium coin now), as well as those mining shares if they count. People definitely lost money on them (the IPO/ICOs) as well.
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 06:59:36 PM
Last edit: September 03, 2014, 07:26:22 PM by rpietila

Once it happened to me that I was a large but not majority ~15% owner in a private company. The owners, me included, decided to sell shares in proportion to our holdings, to people who were interested. There are certain rules in the law how the company may carry out new private issues but nothing regulating people selling their own shares. We made a prospectus-of-sorts just to give information to the prospective buyers. When the SEC-equivalent of Finland learned about it, several months after the round was completed with no problems, they decided that the law is extended to cover the sale where the company did play no part, so that the prospectus was found faulty, and as a result the company must offer 100% buyback to anyone who so wishes. As president of the company, it was quite a chore to manage the situation where the stock had lost about 20% of the value, giving the lower morality ones among our shareholders just enough incentive to force a buyback.

The case caused me to lose any respect towards the organization pulling such a trick. If they regard me as scum, so be it both ways.

There is no limit whatsoever these sad clowns will do if we let them. They can make any laws and when they are not convenient, change them, amend them, or just act irrespective of them. The less people resist this fuckery, the easier it is for them to continue. The first point of realization would be to realize that any use of force or threat thereof, towards your freedom, is a crime. On their part, not yours.

ADD: The money we were talking about, in total, was about $100k. The government agencies have the apparent luxury of utterly disregarding any sanity in what they pursue, with their only punishment coming in the next age when righteousness reigns.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Pages: « 1 ... 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 [205] 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 »
  Print  

Jump to: