Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 11:18:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 [210] 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 »
  Print  
Author Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer  (Read 387451 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 06:07:17 PM
Last edit: September 04, 2014, 07:05:59 PM by AnonyMint

Can we get back to talking about AnonyMint's idea of government backed digital currencies? It's something that seems inevitable but everyone seems to conveniently ignore.

Imagine the efficiency of tax collecting through a database of currency you control. It's the government's ultimate weapon.
Seriously please don't.
I advise rpietila to moderate post about this. This such a boring old subject that has been discussed all over Bitcointalk "What if government blabla"
Truth is government will not succeed because no one will support it this is the whole idea behind Bitcoin, that Bitcoin is unstoppable, and anyone who thinks otherwise is just a complete tin foil hat that can go back to the conspiracy forum.

Can we go back to technical discussions about altcoins and not some conspiracy nut job theories from AnonyMint.

You will eat those words you fool, rammed through your arsehole by a jackbookjackboot.

Your pride in Bitcoin is not factually justified.

And it is very relevant to altcoins.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
georgehosterguy

Activity: 196
Merit: 12

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 06:16:40 PM

what's a jackbook?

Edit:  Just figured out it was jackBOOT  Grin

Skinnkavaj

Activity: 469
Merit: 250

English Motherfucker do you speak it ?

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 06:18:50 PM
Last edit: September 04, 2014, 06:30:12 PM by Skinnkavaj

You will eat those words you fool, rammed through your arsehole by a jackbook.

Your pride in Bitcoin is not factually justified.

And it is very relevant to altcoins.
Do you think you are the only one on this forum with conspiracy theories? This has been discussed 1000 times already, just take a look at post from 2011 and 2012. It's not even relevant anymore and if something like this were to threaten bitcoin there are other subforums here on Bitcointalk for it.

This thread should be about technical discussions for altcoins and not some boring old conspiracy theory.

I see three categories right now as an altcoin investor:
PoS coins
Anonymous coins
2.0 coins

Would you categorize it further down?

79b79aa8d5047da6d3XX

Activity: 660
Merit: 101

Colletrix - Bridging the Physical and Virtual Worl

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 06:22:28 PM
Last edit: September 04, 2014, 06:41:23 PM by 79b79aa8d5047da6d3XX

Can we get back to ... government backed digital currencies? It's something that seems inevitable but everyone seems to conveniently ignore.

Yes, the problem is that when the Ecuadorian (or any other) economy faces some serious problem, as it sooner or later will, the Central Bank/ digital mint will be able to distort the money supply, and the Economic Ministry will probably take measures to rescue the economy that are based on exerting control over the currency. These measures may or may not work for overcoming the short or mid terms problems of the economy. But the exchange value of the currency will certainly be affected, and possibly not in your favor. So you better trust those in charge, permanently. Or be on their side.

It reminds me of a recent announcement by the Argentinian Central Bank (I think they took it down but you can look for it http://www.bcra.gov.ar) where they warned citizens against Bitcoin, because its value is known to fluctuate, and could go down. The Argentinian Central Bank, which has presided over the wiping out the value of the peso at least three times in recent memory!

devphp

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 06:25:13 PM

I am still waiting to hear how digital or digitized is different from fiat in electronic form. Fiat is fiat, no matter how you slice it. Fiat is 'by decree'.

Crypto currencies function by no decree. They are decentrally produced.

And it's not even by decree that matters, although that is important too. What matters is predictability of supply, which never works for fiat, because governments always tend to overspend and overproduce fiat. Fiat has been around for ages and we all know how it ends every time. So what does Ecuador change here?
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 06:31:54 PM

You might do better to using timing to separate your rhetoric from your reason.

You are such an idiot.
Rhetoric.

You have massive category errors.
Fact.

See, easy to bucket.  Now just separate them instead of mixing them, and your audience goes way up.

To be truly elite, separate them, and then refrain from posting the rhetoric.  I haven't reached that level myself.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 06:32:50 PM

what's a jackbook?

New Apple laptop, I think.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 06:36:02 PM

You are such an idiot.

Whereas, Armstrong made specific predictions of specific events at specific times, that could not match any other events. And he was never wrong. Never.

If Armstrong is prescient as well as infallible, why didn't he know ahead of time that he would be sent to jail for bilking investors, not get a fair trial, and so on?

Since he couldn't avoid being thrown in a hole for 7 years, he's not exactly the sharpest shooter in Texas.   Roll Eyes

ES, govt backed digi-fiat isn't a new idea.  The Canadian mint floated, then abandoned the idea already.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 06:37:22 PM

Can we get back to talking about AnonyMint's idea of government backed digital currencies? It's something that seems inevitable but everyone seems to conveniently ignore.

Imagine the efficiency of tax collecting through a database of currency you control. It's the government's ultimate weapon.
Seriously please don't.
I advise rpietila to moderate post about this. This such a boring old subject that has been discussed all over Bitcointalk "What if government blabla"
Truth is government will not succeed because no one will support it this is the whole idea behind Bitcoin, that Bitcoin is unstoppable, and anyone who thinks otherwise is just a complete tin foil hat that can go back to the conspiracy forum.

Can we go back to technical discussions about altcoins and not some conspiracy nut job theories from AnonyMint.

I'm not the type that people would consider a 'nut job' I don't think and I don't agree with many of AnonyMint's theories on what's going to happen with the world, but do people really think that in 20-50 years the world will still be passing around pieces of paper? It's not even a question of if, it's a question of when.

What sort of government wouldn't love to eliminate cash and control their currency through a centralised database? They have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

To dismiss this as some kind of crackpot theory seems very odd to me.
btc-mike

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 06:41:37 PM

Seriously please don't.

I'm not the type that people would consider a 'nut job' I don't think and I don't agree with many of AnonyMint's theories on what's going to happen with the world, but do people really think that in 20-50 years the world will still be passing around pieces of paper? It's not even a question of if, it's a question of when.

What sort of government wouldn't love to eliminate cash and control their currency through a centralised database? They have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

To dismiss this as some kind of crackpot theory seems very odd to me.

That sounds like a new thread - The Altcoin Predictor.
AnonyMint

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 06:44:47 PM

Skinnkavaj,

Your only refutation is "no one will use the government coin".

I told you already that the people in the developing world for the most part don't have money to invest in coins. They are rather users of the coin to get paid. Thus they will use what ever they are told to use by the government and large crony corporations that run the developing world.

So if you can't even get your basic demographics correct, then you are not qualified to categorize my post as a conspiracy theory.

It seems you are not a person of factual analysis.

That sounds like a new thread - The Altcoin Predictor.

If you are going to get any traction with an altcoin in the developing world, you have to enable them to get paid with it. I have specific ideas for this, but I am not going to share them publicly at this time.

That isn't relevant to observing and analyzing existing altcoins?

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 06:46:10 PM

I am still waiting to hear how digital or digitized is different from fiat in electronic form. Fiat is fiat, no matter how you slice it. Fiat is 'by decree'.

Crypto currencies function by no decree. They are decentrally produced.

And it's not even by decree that matters, although that is important too. What matters is predictability of supply, which never works for fiat, because governments always tend to overspend and overproduce fiat. Fiat has been around for ages and we all know how it ends every time. So what does Ecuador change here?

Yes, full fledged digital fiat and decentralised cryptocurrencies are a separate animal. One question might be why the average person would want to use something like bitcoin when the government is offering them what they know already in a safer and more convenient form. That's average people, not us. Not predominately white, educated, tech focused investors and speculators.

And as AnonyMint pointed out, Hong Kong has already started transitioning to this sort of system many years ago(10?) by way of their octopus smart cards. Which are quite convenient and easy to use. And money there is printed by private banks as well which is interesting and different.

Is everyone here really fully convinced of Bitcoin hegemony in the near future?  

edit: Altcoins are the only hope.
devphp

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 06:49:11 PM

I told you already that the people in the developing world for the most part don't have money to invest in coins.

Actually, that's incorrect. People in the developing world have much higher savings rates than people in developed world countries. It doesn't mean most of them wouldn't go for tangible stores of value, but some could and do invest in cryptos too.

Yes, full fledged digital fiat and decentralised cryptocurrencies are a separate animal. One question might be why the average person would want to use something like bitcoin when the government is offering them what they know already in a safer and more convenient form.

Because supply of crypto currencies is predictable and cannot be inflated at a whim and thus can be a store of value?
AnonyMint

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 06:51:43 PM

I told you already that the people in the developing world for the most part don't have money to invest in coins.

Actually, that's incorrect. People in the developing world have much higher savings rates than people in developed world countries. It doesn't mean most of them wouldn't go for tangible stores of value, but some could and do invest in cryptos too.

You have a math error.

A higher percentage rate of 1/10 the income, doesn't mean they have more to invest. In fact, food is stilll 30% of their budget. And as always the savings is power-law distributed and most of the people in the developing world have very little savings because they can barely meet their basic consumption expenses (and they've gotten a taste of materialism and spend to join the lifestyle of westerners).

Skinnkavaj

Activity: 469

English Motherfucker do you speak it ?

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 06:52:42 PM

Skinnkavaj,

I told you already that the people in the developing world for the most part don't have money to invest in coins. They are rather users of the coin to get paid. Thus they will use what ever they are told to use by the government and large crony corporations that run the developing world.

So if you can't even get your basic demographics correct, then you are not qualified to categorize my post as a conspiracy theory.

If you are going to get any traction with an altcoin in the developing world, you have to enable them to get paid with it. I have specific ideas for this, but I am not going to share them publicly at this time.
Equadors currency does not even fit the term "coin" as minted by the Bitcoin community. We are here to discuss coins, or crypto currencies, defined by that they are a decentralized ledger.

If you still want to discuss this AnonyMint, I suggest you start a new thread called "Centralized ledger observer".

AnonyMint

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 06:55:11 PM

Skinnkavaj,

Equadors currency does not even fit the term "coin" as minted by the Bitcoin community. We are here to discuss coins, or crypto currencies, defined by that they are a decentralized ledger.

If you still want to discuss this AnonyMint, I suggest you start a new thread called "Centralized ledger observer".

Are you going to continue trolling?

I just explained that the issue of altcoin adoption in the developing world is threatened. And if an altcoin is going to compete it needs to be very proactive now on generating income for the developing world people, because they are not investors in crypto-currency. They are workers and earners of income.

This is a very relevant discussion about altcoin demographics.

You are just trolling.

Yes, full fledged digital fiat and decentralised cryptocurrencies are a separate animal. One question might be why the average person would want to use something like bitcoin when the government is offering them what they know already in a safer and more convenient form.

Because supply of crypto currencies is predictable and cannot be inflated at a whim and thus can be a store of value?

You have a demographic error.

The developing world people don't give a rats ass about central banking.

I live in the developing world. I ask them all the time. They don't even know what a central bank is you FOOL.

devphp

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 06:55:18 PM

You have a math error.

A higher percentage rate of 1/10 the income, doesn't mean they have more to invest. In fact, food is stilll 30% of their budget. And as always the savings is power-law distributed and most of the people in the developing world have very little savings because they can barely meet their basic consumption expenses (and they've gotten a taste of materialism and spend to join the lifestyle of westerners).

No I don't have an error. I'd bet an average Chinese has more to invest than an average American. This works on both personal and on a country level. Who is the largest debtor nation of the world? Who is the largest creditor nation of the world?
AnonyMint

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 06:58:02 PM

You have a math error.

No I don't have an error. I'd bet an average Chinese has more to invest than an average American. This works on both personal and on a country level. Who is the largest debtor nation of the world? Who is the largest creditor nation of the world?

The developing world is not China any more dumbass. You are like 10 - 15 years behind the times.

China has already banned Bitcoin for use as a currency.

If crypto-currencies will be for investment only, they are useless.

devphp

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 07:00:14 PM

The developing world is not China any more dumbass. You are like 10 - 15 years behind the times.

You said 6 billion people. Who are they? So you agree then that Chinese can invest because they have a lot of savings and would like to diversify from Renminbi which their government likes to inflate too?

China has already banned Bitcoin for use as a currency.

And you think 1.5 bln. people will just stand and watch in silence their savings in fiat fade away and at least some of those Chinese not try to do anything about it. You're being naive in thinking that if something's banned, nobody will use it. Among other things that can function as store of value they will use crypto currencies too, be sure of it. And it doesn't have to function as currency at merchant level, peer-to-peer level is good enough.
Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 07:01:39 PM

Do you think the average person really cares about such things, or is going to become educated on such matters in our lifetime?
Pages: « 1 ... 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 [210] 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 »
  Print  

Jump to: