Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:27:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 ... 318 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] AEON: Scalable, private, mobile-friendly cryptocurrency  (Read 625085 times)
MisO69
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

My mule don't like people laughing

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 06:20:32 PM

Greetings Aeonians.

I'm preparing a new development plan for the coin going forward and I would iike to offer this as an opportunity for suggestions from the community. I have some of my own ideas but all serious ideas will be given serious consideration.

Instead of merged mining this with Monero I would like to see a pure PoS implementation of Cryptonote. I realize this is a big project but maybe on the roadmap this could be the final destination for Aeon.

Merged mining? How? Where?
Aren't you in the wrong thread?

I thought merged mining this with Monero was mentioned earlier. I guess not.

Dude, I'm on the wrong planet.

"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinForumator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 11:18:11 AM

What about this PoS, is it feasible?
kennyP

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 11:25:55 AM

What about this PoS, is it feasible?

PoS would be very good addition imo
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 11:48:26 PM
Last edit: August 29, 2015, 07:51:09 PM by smooth

First, PoS is feasible but not in the short term. There are no other working implementations of cryptonote PoS yet, and developing one is beyond the resources available to this project right now. The only exception to that is the DPoS in XPB, which somewhat different from regular PoS, and not something I would like to pursue. Once there are open source implementations of cryptonote PoS we can consider adopting one. I lean toward a PoW+PoS hybrid that slowly tends toward PoS over time.

Second, the direction I would like to go is toward with this coin is to experiment with a lighter-weight variation of cryptonote that will be friendlier as a payment system for smartphones and other mobile devices. This requires initially some small tweaks and later significant blockchain improvements:

1. Mobile-friendly PoW (CryptoNight Lite). The current PoW is not ideal for smaller devices because the 2MB scratchpad is too large for the cache size on most mobile and lower-end desktop/laptop CPUs. A tweak to use a 1 MB scratchpad would allow it to run efficiently on lower end CPUs including some mobile processors as well as much better performance on mainstream desktops/laptops. Credit for this idea goes to the Louisd'or project (crypto_zoidberg and doe1138), although they didn't clearly explain the benefits of it.

2. Increased block time for fast syncing. The block time determines the number of blocks (or headers) that need to downloaded for syncing on a lightweight client, and in addition, most AEON blocks are currently empty, which is creating wasteful bloat. Finally, all cryptonote coins have higher verification costs compared with BTC forks which leads to more orphans. Instead we should use a 4 minute blocktime, which will reduce sync time by a factor of four, and reduce orphans to a minimum. Coupled with #1 we should improve sync time on lower end devices by at least 10x. Per-block rewards will be increased by 4x to maintain the same emission schedule.

3. Signature trimming for SPV-like clients. a) tweak the transaction format using a variation of the techniques from BBR. b) add a flag to the p2p to allow lightweight clients to not download and verify signatures. They would rely on miners to maintain the integrity of the blockchain, as with SPV wallets. Full nodes will continue to store the entire chain with all signatures.

4. Blockchain pruning for scalability. I propose to expire parts of the chain altogether. After some period of time unspent coins would become unspendable and could be pruned. This will allow the blockchain to stay small forever, and not outgrow small devices. Wallets will need to automatically respend coins that are approaching the expiration window back to the same wallet, or at least recommend that the user do so. There will be a longer grandfather period for existing coins but eventually they too would expire. A way of doing long-term (but not infinite) cold storage with a prepaid storage fee may be added later (likely along with multisig). This will also improve anonymity by reducing age-based attacks.

5. Multisig and payment channels for escrow, contracts and instant payments. Cryptonote coins currently rely on a very lightweight hard-coded scripting system that makes transactions very small, easy to verify, and more secure than full-fledged scripts. I would like to maintain that lightweight system, but add a few more hard-coded cases as required for multisig (escrow, and some forms of contracts) and payment channels (trustless instant payments). This will also require a tool set (library and applications) for implementing the real-time components of payment channels.

Roadmap (schedule target, subject to change according to available resources)

1,2. Tweaked PoW, blocktime (1 week)
2.1. Cryptonote GUI wallet integration (*)
3. Signature trimming  (1-2 month*)
4. Blockchain pruning (3-4 months*)
5. Multisig and payment channels (6 months*)

* subject to evaluation of wallet integration task

Also (planned but no specific schedule)

A. 32-bit and ARM support
B. Database or collection swapping (low memory footprint)

Although my interests are primarily in the area of blockchain technology and experimental improvements to the cryptonote protocol, I invite others to join the project and work on other items such as a GUI wallet (though we can likely adapt existing GUI wallets from other cyptonote coins), mobile wallets, marketing, etc.

I have created a new donation address for the project. The amount of donations received will have some influence on the pace of work, largely because it allows me to gauge the interest of the community in a credible way, and I'm less interested in working on something that no one cares about.

Code:
Generated new wallet: WmsSWgtT1JPg5e3cK41hKXSHVpKW7e47bjgiKmWZkYrhSS5LhRemNyqayaSBtAQ6517eo5PtH9wxHVmM78JDZSUu2W8PqRiNs
view key: 71bf19a7348ede17fa487167710dac401ef1556851bfd36b76040facf051630b

EDIT: Added 32-bit and ARM support, low memory

EDIT: Added cryptonote GUI wallet integration
cryptrol

Activity: 637

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 08:23:11 AM

Nice roadmap!
I am glad to see you pushing forward and I am willing to help with whatever I can.

I totally agree with the block time, alts have tended to smaller block times just as a marketing buzzword (" look we are faster than bitcoin!"), without taking into account that this alters security (forks) and usability (massive sync times). Speed must be achieved by other means, which you brilliantly address on point 5 with payment channels. Payment channels are one of the main reasons I was interested in multisig earlier in this thread and they provide the tools to make crypto transactions time more in line of what we are used nowadays with credit cards.

Regarding the PoW, I would say we will never see a mobile device running a full-node, but I always have this phrase in mind :

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 08:49:52 AM
Last edit: April 27, 2015, 09:19:33 AM by smooth

Regarding the PoW, I would say we will never see a mobile device running a full-node, but I always have this phrase in mind :

Thank you for the great feedback cryptrol!

The quote you cite is relevant, and as I said I want to both trim and prune the blockchain to keep it small.

However, even if you want not full nodes but lightweight SPV-like nodes on mobile devices, they still need to verify PoW (block headers). Currently on a low-end CPU verifying cryptonight takes about 500 ms, which means over 10 minutes to verify PoW for one day worth of 1-minute blocks. By reducing the number of blocks per day and switching to a faster PoW we can get this down to a minute or so, which I find closer to acceptable.

Also, I should add to the roadmap that I intend to merge both:

1. 32-bit and ARM support from Monero

2. Either the db code from Monero or the collection swapping from the cryptonote reference (unlike Bytecoin, the cryptonote reference is under the original MIT license, not GPL). I don't have a timeframe for this; I want to give Monero some more time to get the database deployed and see how it works there first. But ultimately it is essential for mainstream and mobile platforms.

bytemuma

Activity: 574

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 11:25:03 AM

Hello community, i like cryptonote coins but i don't have any Aeon, is anybody interested in swap RD Red Wind for Aeon?

Aeon Max supply: ~18.4 million

RD Max supply: ~18.4 Billion

If so, PM me.

Thanks.

███
                              █████
           ██           █████████              ██
       █████         
█████████         ██████
     ████████         
█████         █████████
         ████████       
███       █████████
            ████████              █████████
               █████       ███       █████

███       ██       █████       ██       ███
    █████            █████████            █████
█████████    █████████████    █████████
█████████    █████████████    █████████     
    █████            █████████            █████
      ███        ██      █████      ██      ███
               █████      ███       █████
            ████████              █████████
         ████████       
███       █████████
     ████████         
█████        █████████
       █████         
█████████        ██████
           ██           
█████████           ██
                              █████
                                ███

Adonx.one

◆ Twitter
◆ Telegram
◆ Discord

cryptrol

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 11:59:12 AM

Hello community, i like cryptonote coins but i don't have any Aeon, is anybody interested in swap RD Red Wind for Aeon?

Aeon Max supply: ~18.4 million

RD Max supply: ~18.4 Billion

If so, PM me.

Thanks.

Try this thread : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1012944.0

Or start one on the Altcoin Marketplace
amsat

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 06:00:53 PM

Sell AEON
pm me offer
BoscoMurray

Activity: 450
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 08:55:55 PM

Help please!

Code:
 > cmake -G "Visual Studio 12 Win64" -DBOOST_ROOT=c:\boost_1_57_0 -DBOOST_LIBRARY_DIR=c:\boost_1_57_0\stage\lib ..

I followed the OP to build on Win 7 x64 but get an error after the above line:

Code:
The term 'cmake' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script fi
le, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was inclu
ded, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:6
+ cmake <<<<  -G "Visual Studio 12 Win64" -DBOOST_ROOT=c:\boost_1_57_0 -DBOOST_
LIBRARY_DIR=c:\boost_1_57_0\stage\lib ..
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (cmake:String) [], CommandNotFou
   ndException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

cmake is installed, although the command is not being run from the cmake directory so I tried this:

Code:
 > "C:\Program Files (x86)\CMake\bin\cmake" -G "Visual Studio 12 Win64" -DBOOST_ROOT=c:\boost_1_57_0 -DBOOST_LIBRARY_DIR=c:\boost_1_57_0\stage\lib ..

but get an error:

Code:
You must provide a value expression on the right-hand side of the '-' operator.
At line:1 char:43
+ "C:\Program Files (x86)\CMake\bin\cmake" - <<<< G "Visual Studio 12 Win64" -D
BOOST_ROOT=c:\boost_1_57_0 -DBOOST_LIBRARY_DIR=c:\boost_1_57_0\stage\lib ..
    + CategoryInfo          : ParserError: (:) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordEx
   ception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ExpectedValueExpression
cryptrol

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 09:36:43 PM

Help please!

> cmake -G "Visual Studio 12 Win64" -DBOOST_ROOT=c:\boost_1_57_0 -DBOOST_LIBRARY_DIR=c:\boost_1_57_0\stage\lib ..

Put cmake inside your PATH environment variable, fix your typo and add double quotes to your boost paths (git shell is picky with this) :

Code:
cmake -G "Visual Studio 12 Win64" -DBOOST_ROOT="c:\boost_1_57_0" -DBOOST_LIBRARYDIR="c:\boost_1_57_0\stage\lib" ..
BoscoMurray

Activity: 450

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 11:27:49 AM

Help please!

Put cmake inside your PATH environment variable, fix your typo and add double quotes to your boost paths (git shell is picky with this) :

Code:
cmake -G "Visual Studio 12 Win64" -DBOOST_ROOT="c:\boost_1_57_0" -DBOOST_LIBRARYDIR="c:\boost_1_57_0\stage\lib" ..

Thanks cryptrol. This certainly helped as I get a little further, but after entering that line it takes me to a prompt:
>>

I try the rest of the how-to and it doesn't seem to do anything. Here's what I get:

C:\aeon> cd aeon\build
C:\aeon\aeon\build [master]> cmake -G "Visual Studio 12 Win64" -DBOOST_ROOT="c:\boost_1_57_0" -DBOOST_LIBRARYDIR="c:\boost_1_57_0\stage\lib" ..
>> cd ..
>> MSBuild Project.sln /p:Configuration=release
>>

There are no exe files in the C:\aeon\...... directories at all. Any advice please? Cheers
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 11:50:35 AM
Last edit: April 29, 2015, 03:36:45 PM by smooth

Update on roadmap items 1,2

The mobile-friendly PoW has been implemented and tested. It works fine and has good performance on both high performance and low performance CPUs.

I'm still working out the best way to handle the transition to 4 minute blocks. I want to avoid having it take a long period for the block time to adjust properly, although I may, after further testing of how the existing algorithm handles it, decide not to worry about it.

Either way, I expect to release on schedule by May 6.

The donation wallet has received 98.474708501125, none of which has been spent.
cryptrol

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 04:52:31 PM

The mobile-friendly PoW has been implemented and tested. It works fine and has good performance on both high performance and low performance CPUs.

I'm still working out the best way to handle the transition to 4 minute blocks. I want to avoid having it take a long period for the block time to adjust properly, although I may, after further testing of how the existing algorithm handles it, decide not to worry about it.

First of all, thank you for your work.

Will the mining software work as usual with the new scratchpad size ?
Also, does it require a hard fork ? I guess yes since it changes the PoW. Just want to know it so I can get my daemons up to date when the time arrives.

Also, I wanted to send some AEON your way but didn't found the address on the OP, I know you posted it earlier but don't want to go through the posts Tongue
cryptrol

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 04:59:09 PM

Help please!

Code:

Thanks cryptrol. This certainly helped as I get a little further, but after entering that line it takes me to a prompt:
>>

I try the rest of the how-to and it doesn't seem to do anything. Here's what I get:

C:\aeon> cd aeon\build
C:\aeon\aeon\build [master]> cmake -G "Visual Studio 12 Win64" -DBOOST_ROOT="c:\boost_1_57_0" -DBOOST_LIBRARYDIR="c:\boost_1_57_0\stage\lib" ..
>> cd ..
>> MSBuild Project.sln /p:Configuration=release
>>

There are no exe files in the C:\aeon\...... directories at all. Any advice please? Cheers

These are the commands that I use ...

Try deleting the CMakeCache.txt, from the aeon source directory in a gitshell do :

Code:
del CMakeCache.txt
mkdir build
cd build
MSBuild.exe ..\Project.sln /p:Configuration=Release
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 05:01:46 PM

First of all, thank you for your work.

Will the mining software work as usual with the new scratchpad size ?
Also, does it require a hard fork ? I guess yes since it changes the PoW. Just want to know it so I can get my daemons up to date when the time arrives.

Also, I wanted to send some AEON your way but didn't found the address on the OP, I know you posted it earlier but don't want to go through the posts Tongue

There will be a hard fork for both the PoW and block time, but it will be scheduled for a future date (block number) after release so there will be plenty of time to upgrade. The miners will require modification but it is small. The internal solo miner will work. As for the others...is there even still a pool for this coin? If so I'll try to get the other miners working too, otherwise I won't worry about it for now.

Updated donation address in OP
cryptrol

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 05:14:02 PM

There will be a hard fork for both the PoW and block time, but it will be scheduled for a future date (block number) after release so there will be plenty of time to upgrade. The miners will require modification but it is small. The internal solo miner will work. As for the others...is there even still a pool for this coin? If so I'll try to get the other miners working too, otherwise I won't worry about it for now.

I understand, regarding the pools, AFAIK the only one left working is minergate, although it is so easy to build a private pool with the open source tools that exist ATM (that's how I am solo mining).

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 02:40:13 AM
Last edit: April 30, 2015, 03:04:52 AM by smooth

I understand, regarding the pools, AFAIK the only one left working is minergate, although it is so easy to build a private pool with the open source tools that exist ATM (that's how I am solo mining).

Okay I'll work on the pool miners then. Should not be hard. Unless someone wants to take a shot at it. I'll be putting up the new PoW code on a branch soon (the change is trivial: cut both the scratchpad size and number of iterations in half)

The open source pool code might need the same tweak too, for correct share validation.
bitl0ck

Activity: 240

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 06:53:51 AM

Found a pool http://nomp.freeyy.me:8000/aeon/ !
nikos64

Activity: 283

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 07:38:09 AM
Last edit: April 30, 2015, 08:16:52 AM by nikos64

I can't mine there because I don't have a wallet  Tongue
In fact I have a wallet, but the original one v1.10 which don't synchronizes anymore.
Windows binaries?
Or at least a node, to see if the old wallet works.
I mined some at minergate and they stay there.
Sent 114 AEON at the donation address.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 ... 318 »
  Print  

Jump to: