Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:00:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1779 1780 1781 1782 1783 1784 1785 1786 1787 1788 1789 1790 1791 1792 1793 1794 1795 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 1806 1807 1808 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 1825 1826 1827 1828 [1829] 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 1850 1851 1852 1853 1854 1855 1856 1857 1858 1859 1860 1861 1862 1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 1875 1876 1877 1878 1879 ... 1993 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NEM (XEM) Official Thread - 100% New Code - Easy To Use APIs  (Read 2984064 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 12:41:36 AM

What happens when the Supernode bounty ends, will fees be enough to attract enough nodes to keep the network secure?

I've actually wondered about this myself. What's the plan?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 12:43:28 AM

At the moment it appears to be a straightforward cliff edge where it suddenly ends. I think they've had other things on their mind. If there's any sense it'll be wound down slowly. The funds locked up there might add up to over a quarter of all XEM.
Big Naturals

Activity: 756
Merit: 268

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 12:49:00 AM

At the moment it appears to be a straightforward cliff edge where it suddenly ends. I think they've had other things on their mind. If there's any sense it'll be wound down slowly. The funds locked up there might add up to over a quarter of all XEM.

Cliff edge sounds dangerous, maybe top up the fund from other sources now, and then start a tapered reduction program over 5 years or so, ending with a gentle slope.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 12:50:54 AM

Cliff edge sounds dangerous, maybe top up the fund from other sources now, and then start a tapered reduction program over 5 years or so, ending with a gentle slope.

That's what I hope the plan is. Catapult's going to need some muscular nodes. Having it depend entirely on dabblers wouldn't be great. Ideally there'll always be a greater incentive for the strongest nodes.
greentea
Legendary

Activity: 1418
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 01:13:28 AM

What happens when the Supernode bounty ends, will fees be enough to attract enough nodes to keep the network secure?

The fund has 2+ years, so they still have time to consider options. 

The SilverCoins fund would be an ideal target to continue funding Supernodes ...

NEM   NanoWallet   SuperNodes   Apostille   Landstead   Catapult   Mijin
▃▃▃▅▅▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▅▅▅▃▃▃
pfrtlpfmpf

Activity: 420
Merit: 257

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 01:14:13 AM

Bottom, or not, i´m buying. It can only go up from here. Thank me later !  Smiley

I was able to pick some up earlier today, and the price is already higher than what I paid for, so that's always a good feeling. I probably will keep buying as I am able.

So, whats your plan, when we are rich ? I wrote down my goals, and outcomes "Machu Pichu" again. I´ll see you there. It will be an epic meeting. From there we can take a journey, which the world has not seen before.

jvper

Activity: 966
Merit: 507

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 01:18:55 AM

Mathematics does not lie. I hope you don't wait to figure out what to do because it might be too late.
Big Naturals

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 01:22:43 AM

The SilverCoins fund would be an ideal target to continue funding Supernodes ...

I agree the SilverCoin funds can be better used supporting the future, rather than rewarding dudes from the past who have already been rewarded generously for their early adoption of NEM. SuperNET/Komodo have some mining, but even still, they have allowed funding mechanism for 14 years for their 64 notary nodes before they have to confront supporting a network without PoW,  2+ years isn't that long.

If you look at the number of coins locked up in supernodes themselves, SN bounty funds, silvercoin, it's dangerously high, adding some certainty now so supernode operators feel confortable and know the landscape for the next +5 years would avoid chances of a panic dump if everyone got spooked and rushed for the exits at the same time. It's not a critical issue today, but it *might* be sooner than we expect.
nemman

Activity: 16
Merit: 2

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 01:25:43 AM

A Letter from Lon Wong

by Julian. April 3, 2018
Expanding the Ecosystem, Assuring Growth

"As we forge ahead in the fourth year of NEM, I want to share with you a few thoughts about our future and how important this project is to me. It has always been my desire to ensure that NEM succeeds. By any measure, NEM has succeeded although our journey together has witnessed many trials and tribulations. But one thing has remained constant and that is my commitment to building the best ecosystem for NEM. I have always given my all to NEM by working full time from its inception when XEM began its modest life at USD0.00017 per coin.

In the past year, we have seen tremendous growth in the value of XEM that coincided with the establishment and expansion of the NEM Foundation. I am proud to serve as our foundation?s founding president and oversee its expansion throughout the world. NEM, via our foundation, enjoys the distinction of being the first crypto project to set up its own blockchain center. This center represents a significant achievement and demonstrates the cohesiveness of the project team to come together on a global scale to dream big. To be entrusted the opportunity to lead this wonderful community and team, has been both a privilege and an honor for me.

Catapult has just launched, and soon its open source version for the private chain will be released. Preparation of the public chain will follow soon and I have high hopes that Catapult will be another major success, at which time, we should be recognized as a world leader. I continue to believe that it is critical for NEM to have a large ecosystem that goes beyond what blockchain can do with value transactions and transfers. Our superior technology should be expanded to the hilt to include and cover industries at large.

Very early on, before the launch of NEM, one of the things I thought we should do was to create some form of an integrated solution with a solid abstraction layer sitting on the NEM public chain and a distributed file management system. However, there were more urgent matters to attend to and this idea was put in the back burner.

Many of you would have seen the recent official announcement of the inception of ProximaX as a project. Allow me to clarify what ProximaX is. This project is meant to enlarge the ecosystem of NEM. It is by no means a competitor to NEM. ProximaX was built to increase the utility of XEM. The creation of XPX, the crypto coin of ProximaX, is itself a mosaic on the NEM blockchain with XEM as its transaction fee. It is in fact a demonstration of how powerful NEM is and how expansive projects can be powered by the NEM blockchain. If there is widescale adoption of ProximaX, NEM will definitely benefit as it requires more XEM for transactions. ProximaX and NEM are symbiotic and the ecosystem shall increase greatly in breadth and depth of utility.

Our NEM.io Foundation has been blessed with a group of able leaders and enthusiastic fulltime employees that stand ready to take the world by storm. We have built momentum and I am happy with the way things are moving. So, after careful consideration, I have decided that it is time for me to step aside as the President of NEM.io Foundation and concentrate my energy to build ProximaX and continue to grow the NEM ecosystem.

NEM?s future is bright and I believe the best is yet to come. I urge all of you to continue the great support you have been giving to build our ecosystem and support the work of our colleagues at NEM.io Foundation. I will certainly be doing my part. You have my word that everything I do in the future will continue to benefit NEM.

Thank you,

Lon Wong"
ruletheworld
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1045

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2018, 01:28:43 AM

I agree the SilverCoin funds can be better used supporting the future, rather than rewarding dudes from the past who have already been rewarded generously for their early adoption of NEM. SuperNET/Komodo have some mining, but even still, they have allowed funding mechanism for 14 years for their 64 notary nodes before they have to confront supporting a network without PoW,  2+ years isn't that long.

If you look at the number of coins locked up in supernodes themselves, SN bounty funds, silvercoin, it's dangerously high, adding some certainty now so supernode operators feel confortable and know the landscape for the next +5 years would avoid chances of a panic dump if everyone got spooked and rushed for the exits at the same time. It's not a critical issue today, but it *might* be sooner than we expect.
What's a good solution though? It seems like if there is no inflation in the currency, then this is a problem, unless transaction fees somehow offset the cost.
Big Naturals

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 01:33:48 AM

I agree the SilverCoin funds can be better used supporting the future, rather than rewarding dudes from the past who have already been rewarded generously for their early adoption of NEM. SuperNET/Komodo have some mining, but even still, they have allowed funding mechanism for 14 years for their 64 notary nodes before they have to confront supporting a network without PoW,  2+ years isn't that long.

What's a good solution though? It seems like if there is no inflation in the currency, then this is a problem, unless transaction fees somehow offset the cost.

I think the solution is twofold:

1- start tapering the reward for Supernodes, let the number of SN's adjust gradually over time as the bounty reward slowly decreases, compensated by (hopefully) increasing XEM price. Going cold turkey can kill you, avoid at all costs, and avoid a dump of SN locked up XEM

2- top up the SN bounty fund now, to maximise the period of tapering, ideally +5 years

As transaction numbers increase, and price increases over time I think we can be optimistic that eventually running nodes for tx fees only will be incentive enough for many SN operators to just continue running nodes, but they need certainty now, and time for network activity and price of XEM to increase. Two years is not long enough IMO
Neversettle

Activity: 308
Merit: 13

ZetoChain - ACCELERATING BLOCKCHAIN FOR THE SUPPLY

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 11:00:19 AM

I agree the SilverCoin funds can be better used supporting the future, rather than rewarding dudes from the past who have already been rewarded generously for their early adoption of NEM. SuperNET/Komodo have some mining, but even still, they have allowed funding mechanism for 14 years for their 64 notary nodes before they have to confront supporting a network without PoW,  2+ years isn't that long.

I think the solution is twofold:

1- start tapering the reward for Supernodes, let the number of SN's adjust gradually over time as the bounty reward slowly decreases, compensated by (hopefully) increasing XEM price. Going cold turkey can kill you, avoid at all costs, and avoid a dump of SN locked up XEM

2- top up the SN bounty fund now, to maximise the period of tapering, ideally +5 years

As transaction numbers increase, and price increases over time I think we can be optimistic that eventually running nodes for tx fees only will be incentive enough for many SN operators to just continue running nodes, but they need certainty now, and time for network activity and price of XEM to increase. Two years is not long enough IMO

the best thing for the network would be to reduce the SN requirement to 1.000.000 coins and increase the hardware requirement  for the single nodes.

to have like 1000+  very strong SN

Big Naturals

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 12:33:56 PM

the best thing for the network would be to reduce the SN requirement to 1.000.000 coins and increase the hardware requirement  for the single nodes.

to have like 1000+  very strong SN

Changing the SN lockup amount is another variable to play with for sure, but if you drop the SN amount too low the reward per SN will fall as the number of SN's increases. If the SN lockup is too low the result could be the opposite of what you expect, the reward for locking up XEM could become too small, and some SN operators decide the reward isn't enough anymore, and they sell, so you end up with about the same number of SN we have now. It's a balancing act! Guys locking up 3M XEM might just sell 1M or 2M XEM at the same time so they can still run 1-2 SN's, what effect would that have?

Whatever happens, giving people a lot of warning of changes, and then certainty is critical.
abdulaziz07

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 03:28:42 PM

When I was transferring XEM to Poloniex, I wrote the message wrong. I reported the problem to the support department
cryptonit
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1053

bit.diamonds | uNiq.diamonds

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2018, 03:46:04 PM

the best thing for the network would be to reduce the SN requirement to 1.000.000 coins and increase the hardware requirement  for the single nodes.

to have like 1000+  very strong SN

Changing the SN lockup amount is another variable to play with for sure, but if you drop the SN amount too low the reward per SN will fall as the number of SN's increases. If the SN lockup is too low the result could be the opposite of what you expect, the reward for locking up XEM could become too small, and some SN operators decide the reward isn't enough anymore, and they sell, so you end up with about the same number of SN we have now. It's a balancing act! Guys locking up 3M XEM might just sell 1M or 2M XEM at the same time so they can still run 1-2 SN's, what effect would that have?

Whatever happens, giving people a lot of warning of changes, and then certainty is critical.

changing anything in SN setup should be avoided

people did invest and build SN by knowing all the rulesets
u dont change rulesets that where the base of investment decisions

any SN owner know how long it run

focus ur energy on get NEM chain be heavy utilized in the timeframe
and it will be for sure worth run nodes in 2 years too just for tx fees

and for everyone not just whales who can afford a SN

Diamond [DMD]     uNiq.Diamonds  
Scarce✦✦✦✦ Valuable ✦✦✦✦ Secure ✦                     ▬ a collector experience ▬                
ducho74

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 08:56:01 PM

STOP BUYING XEM!!!
NEM foundation supports Cryptopia for scam. NEM foundation disclaims responsibility, but they have a contract with Cryptopia!!!!

Cryptopia wrote me that my coins was credited to my account. But NO!
This is bad joke!!!!! This deposit was not credited to my account!!!!!!

---------
Sender: TheQueenIsDead (Cryptopia)
4/3/2018 10:07:21 PM
Hi ducho Your deposit of 1016.63227000 XEM (TxID: 7f3480092e3c130a31e3e6b74d832893bd156686006a8f4fde4f91b38521d45c) has been credited to your account.
Kind regards, Cryptopia Wallets Team
---------
ccedk_pr

Activity: 1064
Merit: 509

https://dex.openledger.io/ Truly Decentralized

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2018, 10:15:51 PM

Big Naturals

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 11:58:47 PM
Merited by gentlemand (2)

I agree changing SN rules after investors have already made life changing investment decisions is NOT a good idea, however, what I am suggesting is:

- respect the existing SN rules until they expire (approx 2 years I think)
- top up the SN funds from other sources like silvercoin fund, and maybe some marketing accounts
- use the topped up funds to extend the SN bounty, BUT, start tapering the reward, maybe change the lockup amount

Why do this? Because under the current rules I estimate the SN bounty will abruptly end in just under 2 years, and when it does that could precipitate a crisis where:
- there is a massive liquidation of SN locked up funds at the same time
- the number of nodes drops drastically and the network becomes unstable

Those two combined could be a coin killing event, so I'd like to see something planned ahead of time, but yes, I don't think changing the rules is cool, that's why I'm advocating extending the whole SN program with new funds, and then adding a gradual and graceful transition to lower SN rewards.
cryptonit
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1053

bit.diamonds | uNiq.diamonds

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2018, 12:34:37 AM

I agree changing SN rules after investors have already made life changing investment decisions is NOT a good idea, however, what I am suggesting is:

- respect the existing SN rules until they expire (approx 2 years I think)
- top up the SN funds from other sources like silvercoin fund, and maybe some marketing accounts
- use the topped up funds to extend the SN bounty, BUT, start tapering the reward, maybe change the lockup amount

additional funds for a soft SN reward shutdown
is no issue in fact it would add rewards i did not expect

still i think u should put more trust in how much tx activity NEM chain will have in 2 years

i think NEM is clear one of the top 5 blockchain solutions as base to build on

and so we will have shitload transactions and good rewards for normal harvesting

thats my prediction

and i think ur slow shutdown additional SN phase shoult just be considered as backup plan
if for some reason tx fee volume in 2 years is not as i expect it to be high enough as motivation to run nodes

Diamond [DMD]     uNiq.Diamonds  
Scarce✦✦✦✦ Valuable ✦✦✦✦ Secure ✦                     ▬ a collector experience ▬                
pfrtlpfmpf

Activity: 420
Merit: 257

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 05:48:50 AM
Last edit: April 05, 2018, 06:09:33 AM by pfrtlpfmpf

When I was transferring XEM to Poloniex, I wrote the message wrong. I reported the problem to the support department

I don´t want to be a party pooper, but sometimes i ask myself, if there is someone actually there . . . (in my case they hold 25000 USD in XEM of mine, for a very long time. Did only make a withrawel, correct address and all, which never arrived, they even gave me a Transaction-ID, which is NOT on the blockchain) .

Guys, stay away from Poloniex !

Pages: « 1 ... 1779 1780 1781 1782 1783 1784 1785 1786 1787 1788 1789 1790 1791 1792 1793 1794 1795 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 1806 1807 1808 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 1825 1826 1827 1828 [1829] 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 1850 1851 1852 1853 1854 1855 1856 1857 1858 1859 1860 1861 1862 1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 1875 1876 1877 1878 1879 ... 1993 »
  Print  

Jump to: