Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 11:36:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 [516] 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 ... 1993 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NEM (XEM) Official Thread - 100% New Code - Easy To Use APIs  (Read 2984378 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
zanzibar

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 03:48:23 AM

Keep in mind that NXT price is artificially inflated because the majority of it is being held by a few large whales who are holding and/or slowly dumping onto the market over time. NEM may have trouble getting near current NXT market cap in the short term, but that will only be because it is a more accurate representation of the true market value since we have a much more even distribution. Eventually, of course, I think we will surpass NXT's current market cap and more, but for now I would not be surprised to see a (relatively) low market cap upon launch (at least compared to NXT). But, maybe I will be pleasantly surprised. Tongue

When it was at $100mil several months ago, I would have agreed with you, but Nxt is at $19mil marketcap.  It has thousands of users, hundreds of issued Assets, and Digital Goods, a very active development community, and it's valued less than the amount BlockStream just closed in funding ($21mil).  I would say Nxt is very undervalued.
nzminer
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 04:04:43 AM

Why according to NXT pricing? nem is fairer than the NXT, more popular currency. It's worth more than the NXT Undecided

Why is NEM more farier than NXT?

NEM, THE SECURE, SCALABLE BLOCKCHAIN [NEM.IO] [T.ME/NEMRED]
makoto1337
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

I am not Dorian Nakamoto.

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2014, 04:28:16 AM

Why according to NXT pricing? nem is fairer than the NXT, more popular currency. It's worth more than the NXT Undecided

1) 1500+ initial investors as opposed to 72 (or 5, depending on who you talk to Wink )

2) Proof-of-Importance instead of Proof-of-Stake, so the rich don't just get richer

3) Code is based on test-driven development, so people that invest in NEM are getting a much better product for their money that has been developed better

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓
                           ▄████████████████████████████████▄
                       ▄████████████████████████████████████████▄
                    ▌███████████████████████████████████████████████╒
                 ▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
               ▓█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
             ▓█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           ▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
          ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
         ███████████                                                ███████████▄
       ╒████████████                                                ▀███████████▄
       █████████████                                                ▀████████████▄
      ███████████████████████████████████      ███████████████████████████████████
     ████████████████████████████████████      ████████████████████████████████████
     ████████████████████████████████████      ████████████████████████████████████▄
    ▄███████████████╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╙       ╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧████████████████
    ████████████████                                                ▀███████████████
    ████████████████                                                ▀███████████████
    ████████████████████████████████████╝       ████████████████████████████████████
    ███████████████████████████████████          ███████████████████████████████████
    █████████████████████████████████▀            ▀█████████████████████████████████
    ▐███████████████████████████████       ▄▄       ███████████████████████████████▌
     █████████████████████████████▀       ████       ▀█████████████████████████████
     ╘███████████████████████████       ▄██████▄       ███████████████████████████▌
      ▀████████████████████████▀       ██████████       ▀█████████████████████████
       ▀██████████████████████╛      ╔████████████▄       ███████████████████████
        █████████████████████       ████████████████       ▀████████████████████
         ▀█████████████████╚      ╓██████████████████▄       █████████████████▀
           ██████████████▀       ▓█████████████████████       ▀██████████████╝
            ▀███████████╩       ████████████████████████▄       ███████████▀
              ▀████████       ▓███████████████████████████       ▀████████
                ▀████▐       ██████████████████████████████▄       ████▀
                  ╙▀       ▄█████████████████████████████████       ▀▐
                          ████████████████████████████████████▄
                         ▀████████████████████████████████████▀
                              ▀▀████████████████████████▀▀╛

Sora
| SoraTopia | SoraEconomy                                                    
/The Decentralized Autonomous Economy /
|
XOR
nzminer
Legendary

Activity: 1918

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 05:48:13 AM

1) 1500+ initial investors as opposed to 72 (or 5, depending on who you talk to Wink )

2) Proof-of-Importance instead of Proof-of-Stake, so the rich don't just get richer

3) Code is based on test-driven development, so people that invest in NEM are getting a much better product for their money that has been developed better

The distribution thing got to me lots too with NXT, but its not all that bad, and more people could have invested in it at the start if they wanted to, but none did.
I like both, but i really dont know which way either will go.

NEM, THE SECURE, SCALABLE BLOCKCHAIN [NEM.IO] [T.ME/NEMRED]
makoto1337
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2014, 06:21:46 AM

The distribution thing got to me lots too with NXT, but its not all that bad, and more people could have invested in it at the start if they wanted to, but none did.
I like both, but i really dont know which way either will go.

NXT has a lot of cool stuff in their ecosystem as well, so it will be interesting to watch what happens.

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓
    ▄███████████████╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╙       ╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧████████████████
    ████████████████████████████████████╝       ████████████████████████████████████
    ███████████████████████████████████          ███████████████████████████████████
    █████████████████████████████████▀            ▀█████████████████████████████████
    ▐███████████████████████████████       ▄▄       ███████████████████████████████▌

Sora
|
XOR
Simakki

Activity: 697
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2014, 07:14:06 AM

Are we going to see the launch before or after the Christmas?

Check out Betsikingi
for betting tips and for https://betsikingi.info/vedonlyontibonukset-vedonlyontisivustot and Unibet TV for sports live streaming!
McDoxy1

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 09:26:52 AM

I don't want to put words in your mouth but saying Nxt doesn't test their code before release would not be true. Test-driven development is a pretty standard practice.
howi53

Activity: 127

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 09:29:40 AM

Are we going to see the launch before or after the Christmas?

I am sure, launch is before Christmas - but I am not sure about the year.

Life is like a chicken ladder - short and shitty
patmast3r

Activity: 980

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 09:35:21 AM

I don't want to put words in your mouth but saying Nxt doesn't test their code before release would not be true. Test-driven development is a pretty standard practice.

That's not what he's saying. Test-driven development doesn't merely mean testing your stuff. It means writing unit-tests before really implementing the actuall function. So you know what a function is supposed to do and write a test based on that and then test your function with it once you've implemented it. That way you can be certain your function does what you wanted it todo and of course with unit-tests in place you can recheck every time you change the code so it doesn't brake somewhere along the way.

I have no idea how NXT devs operate though so I'm not argueing either way.

kodtycoon
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 09:40:02 AM

That's not what he's saying. Test-driven development doesn't merely mean testing your stuff. It means writing unit-tests before really implementing the actuall function. So you know what a function is supposed to do and write a test based on that and then test your function with it once you've implemented it. That way you can be certain your function does what you wanted it todo and of course with unit-tests in place you can recheck every time you change the code so it doesn't brake somewhere along the way.

I have no idea how NXT devs operate though so I'm not argueing either way.

what i think makoto also means is that nxt wasnt exactly battle tested when it was released and a huge amount of debugging had to be done post-launch to make it stable, where as nem is the opposite.

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███   

██████████

██████   

███████████

███████████████   

███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████

████▀               █████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
█████▄▄       ▄████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████

███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
███████▀           ▀███████
██████  ▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄  ██████

█████  █▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█  █████
██████  █  █████  █  ██████
██████  █▄  ▀▀▀  ▄█  ██████
██████  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀  ██████
███████▄           ▄███████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀███████

█████▌             ▐█████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
██████▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄  ▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████
Istanbul34

Activity: 232

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 09:54:07 AM

The code is a lot better too Smiley

How do you know? Did you study the latest version of the code of NXT?
jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2014, 10:46:48 AM

In the early days of NXT, the NEM developers were working on the code, even finding flaws in it. 

Whenever NXT has a new version go open source, it is pretty easy for them to go through the code. 

Also, as others have said, when Makoto says that NEM is being test-driven during the writing, it refers to the exact style of writing the code and the process in which it is built, not so much it being tested on a testnet.  It is kind of a gold standard in writing code to make sure it is clean as far as I know.   

kodtycoon
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 10:56:48 AM

In the early days of NXT, the NEM developers were working on the code, even finding flaws in it. 

Whenever NXT has a new version go open source, it is pretty easy for them to go through the code. 

Also, as others have said, when Makoto says that NEM is being test-driven during the writing, it refers to the exact style of writing the code and the process in which it is built, not so much it being tested on a testnet.  It is kind of a gold standard in writing code to make sure it is clean as far as I know.   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test-driven_development

definitely worth the read. also it does explain why more people need to test the beta. sounds like a great way to produce code. im surprised this isnt the standard way for cryptocurrency development to be done.

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███   

██████████

██████   

███████████

███████████████   

███████████████████

mattadc

Activity: 426
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2014, 12:53:32 PM

im surprised this isnt the standard way for cryptocurrency development to be done.

There is no silver bullet. It would be a surprise, if all the cryptocurrency development would use TDD.
"Test-driven development does not perform sufficient testing in situations where full functional tests are required to determine success or failure due to extensive use of unit tests.[21] Examples of these are user interfaces, programs that work with databases, and some that depend on specific network configurations."
"A high number of passing unit tests may bring a false sense of security, resulting in fewer additional software testing activities, such as integration testing and compliance testing."
"Writing and maintaining an excessive number of tests costs time."

MINTER - WE MINT COINS AND CREATE THE INTERNET OF MONEY
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Telegram  |  Bip Wallet  |  Twitter
Istanbul34

Activity: 232

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 12:53:49 PM

Also, as others have said, when Makoto says that NEM is being test-driven during the writing, it refers to the exact style of writing the code and the process in which it is built, not so much it being tested on a testnet.  It is kind of a gold standard in writing code to make sure it is clean as far as I know.  

I know how the code was in the early days of NXT. It was messy.

But it is way much better now. So I was wondering which version of the code he was comparing to. The early days or the latest version.
makoto1337
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2014, 01:00:46 PM
Last edit: December 08, 2014, 01:24:48 PM by makoto1337

im surprised this isnt the standard way for cryptocurrency development to be done.

There is no silver bullet. It would be a surprise, if all the cryptocurrency development would use TDD.
"Test-driven development does not perform sufficient testing in situations where full functional tests are required to determine success or failure due to extensive use of unit tests.[21] Examples of these are user interfaces, programs that work with databases, and some that depend on specific network configurations."
"A high number of passing unit tests may bring a false sense of security, resulting in fewer additional software testing activities, such as integration testing and compliance testing."
"Writing and maintaining an excessive number of tests costs time."

Testing code is no silver bullet, but it helps Smiley
There are a lot of places in the code that benefit from unit tests and I can't imagine developing something as complex as NIS without it.

BTW, how many accounts do you have on BTT? It seems weird that anyone would be against testing code...

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓

Sora
|
XOR
mattadc

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2014, 01:20:03 PM

It seems weird that anyone would be against testing code...

Have you lost the focus?
If the test-driven development is not used, it doesn't mean there is no testing!

kodtycoon
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 01:26:49 PM

Have you lost the focus?
If the test-driven development is not used, it doesn't mean there is no testing!

very different kinds of testing that (could) bare very different results. for optimal development i would assume a combination of the two would be best practice. test-driven development followed by a rigorous (closed) testing once a new version is released internally then followed by even more rigorous public testing. ie. test the crap out of everything as hard as possible. Cheesy

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███   

██████████

██████   

███████████

███████████████   

███████████████████

mattadc

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2014, 01:32:27 PM

Have you lost the focus?

very different kinds of testing that (could) bare very different results. for optimal development i would assume a combination of the two would be best practice. test-driven development followed by a rigorous (closed) testing once a new version is released internally then followed by even more rigorous public testing. ie. test the crap out of everything as hard as possible. Cheesy

True. Unfortunately the optimal development is may be found only after many projects. How many cryptocoins one group must build? Smiley

makoto1337
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2014, 01:36:27 PM

Have you lost the focus?

True. Unfortunately the optimal development is may be found only after many projects. How many cryptocoins one group must build? Smiley

Only one time is needed if you do it right.

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓

Sora
|
XOR
Pages: « 1 ... 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 [516] 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 ... 1993 »
  Print  

Jump to: