Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:17:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 [231] 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 ... 386 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [HYP] HyperStake | Generous Reward Staking | Advanced Staking Controls & Wallet  (Read 679272 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
*Sakura*
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1005

I wish you all love and profitable investments!!!

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 02:14:45 PM

Something I've been really interested in is pruning off a large portion of Blocks after a certain period. The thing I notice with older CryptoCurrencies is that after 1-2 years the amount of data the Blockchain holds is quite large, especially if there is a lot of activity. Typical growth for most Coins is in the neighborhood of 500 MB - 1GB a year but if it was REALLY popular and handled a lot of transactions then it could be upwards of 5 BG a year, now this may not seem like a huge amount of growth but most people hold lots of different types of Coins AND you need to sync all those Blocks so 20 different types of Coins is a lot of space! What I was thinking with this was something along the lines of the CLAMS distribution such as where you would take all the unspent addresses into a new Genesis and kill off the old chain, as it is though that would also create 2 distinct chains so then how could it be done where you could do that automatically and always keep the size of the Blockchain within a limit?

Yeah, it's known problem of all most popular coins.  The problem is not only in a disk space, but also in the wallet launch & sync time. The bigger blockchain, the more time is required to start & sync. Fresh (new) blockchain at the beginning of each year would make life easier.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 03:10:58 PM

ever look at cryptonite?

probably not a good idea to destroy data in the age of information. i think it can be very useful (and in some cases even necessary) to have a possibility to trace transactions deep into the abyss. that's why the blockchain is also called the distributed ledger. imho, the security of cryptonite's mini-blockchain is doubtful. new coins are matured instantly and no confirmations of transactions can be made (it simplifies the task of an alternative chain creation). one of possible workarounds for us could be some blockchain compression or a light version of the wallet which uses the merkle root for transaction confirmations as in bitcoin's MultiBit.

I for one don't really care about destruction of data, it's probably even a bit of a good thing as it can add to the anonymity and decentralized nature of the Blockchain. Blockchain compression can only go so far, for something to really be infinitely self sustaining it should work like a rolling Blockchain where old data is pruned off otherwise you still have the growing ledger. I am pretty sure that a multi-bit like wallet using the merkle root only isn't able to Stake (or atleast not currently).

I agree, but the nature of crypto is not only in anonymity (there are also other ways to hide transaction history rather than just simply erase it), in the ideal world there will be no need in anonymity Cheesy The idea of the blockchain is something that can be saved in centuries hermetically sealed, it opens a road for extension of its functionality to let it go beyond money transfer. If it is the trade-off to save some disk space, I predict that in few years even 100 GB blockchain won't be a problem (Moore's law is still actual), with all it's synchro hashing work. So a compression or some harmless truncation (or full-blockchain master nodes, in the case of the multibit-like light wallet which can ask for a piece of the blockchain to be able to stake) can be a temporary solution to release back the full power of the blockchain later.

I'm divided on this, but mostly I fall to the side of keep the data forever.

I also suspect that storage won't be a huge issue going forward. HDD's just keep getting bigger, and SSD are getting bigger, cheaper, and more efficient as well. Plus, there are things like Electrum, though I think at present it couldn't work for staking coins. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on that, because a thin client for Hyp would kick ass.
presstab (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

Blockchain Developer

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 06:43:24 PM

You guys really do like making me work hard don't you??  Tongue

Projects I Contribute To: libzerocoin | Veil | PIVX | HyperStake | Crown | SaluS
iantunc

Activity: 433
Merit: 250

We are the first to program your future (c)

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 07:11:36 PM

You guys really do like making me work hard don't you??  Tongue

just some ideas Smiley

HyperStake bootstrap server - hyperstrap.ml
HyperStake supply gain prediction graph - hypsupply.ml
Crestington
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1024

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 10:16:12 PM

ever look at cryptonite?

probably not a good idea to destroy data in the age of information. i think it can be very useful (and in some cases even necessary) to have a possibility to trace transactions deep into the abyss. that's why the blockchain is also called the distributed ledger. imho, the security of cryptonite's mini-blockchain is doubtful. new coins are matured instantly and no confirmations of transactions can be made (it simplifies the task of an alternative chain creation). one of possible workarounds for us could be some blockchain compression or a light version of the wallet which uses the merkle root for transaction confirmations as in bitcoin's MultiBit.

I for one don't really care about destruction of data, it's probably even a bit of a good thing as it can add to the anonymity and decentralized nature of the Blockchain. Blockchain compression can only go so far, for something to really be infinitely self sustaining it should work like a rolling Blockchain where old data is pruned off otherwise you still have the growing ledger. I am pretty sure that a multi-bit like wallet using the merkle root only isn't able to Stake (or atleast not currently).

I agree, but the nature of crypto is not only in anonymity (there are also other ways to hide transaction history rather than just simply erase it), in the ideal world there will be no need in anonymity Cheesy The idea of the blockchain is something that can be saved in centuries hermetically sealed, it opens a road for extension of its functionality to let it go beyond money transfer. If it is the trade-off to save some disk space, I predict that in few years even 100 GB blockchain won't be a problem (Moore's law is still actual), with all it's synchro hashing work. So a compression or some harmless truncation (or full-blockchain master nodes, in the case of the multibit-like light wallet which can ask for a piece of the blockchain to be able to stake) can be a temporary solution to release back the full power of the blockchain later.

I also suspect that storage won't be a huge issue going forward. HDD's just keep getting bigger, and SSD are getting bigger, cheaper, and more efficient as well. Plus, there are things like Electrum, though I think at present it couldn't work for staking coins. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on that, because a thin client for Hyp would kick ass.

I heard PandaCoin had a lite Client a while back along with quick-sync.

I'm more along the lines that there will be many different types of Coins so although hard drives are getting bigger, you also have more Blockchains to run so it doesn't hold up to moore's law when you are holding hundreds of different Coins.
Hilux74
Legendary

Activity: 912

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 10:42:48 PM

ever look at cryptonite?

I'm more along the lines that there will be many different types of Coins so although hard drives are getting bigger, you also have more Blockchains to run so it doesn't hold up to moore's law when you are holding hundreds of different Coins.
I really do not think a normal individual will be holding hundreds of coins, that would be a nightmare of complication for all but the hobbyist.

I think 2015 is going to be a killing field with most altcoins fading away, with those that remain becoming much stronger.

*And I also think one could 110% guarantee HYPs place as a survivor if Presstab would add in sound effects from Bill & Teds Excellent Adventure for when you stake a block ("Most Triumphant!"  "Excellent!") or get an orphan ("Bogus Dude!")  Cheesy
billotronic
Legendary

Activity: 1610

Crackpot Idealist

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 10:57:45 PM

ever look at cryptonite?

*And I also think one could 110% guarantee HYPs place as a survivor if Presstab would add in sound effects from Bill & Teds Excellent Adventure for when you stake a block ("Most Triumphant!"  "Excellent!") or get an orphan ("Bogus Dude!")  Cheesy

thats a GREAT idea... take it a step further and make the sfx theme-able

This post sums up why all this bullshit is a scam
Read It. Hate It. Change the facts that it represents.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1606638.msg16139644#msg16139644
presstab (OP)
Legendary

Blockchain Developer

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 12:07:16 AM

ever look at cryptonite?

I just wanted to reply and make this quote thread even bigger.

Projects I Contribute To: libzerocoin | Veil | PIVX | HyperStake | Crown | SaluS
Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 12:48:29 AM

ever look at cryptonite?

True enough, but how long do you think that will go on? I suspect that less than a dozen coins will survive that long. Most come and go rather quickly, offering really nothing new and the devs lose interest and/or pull a runner with a premine. I follow a lot of coins, but only maintain about five blockchains, one of which is NOT BTC because of Electrum Cheesy
billotronic
Legendary

Activity: 1610

Crackpot Idealist

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 01:12:15 AM

ever look at cryptonite?

why on earth would you want to do that?

This post sums up why all this bullshit is a scam
Read It. Hate It. Change the facts that it represents.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1606638.msg16139644#msg16139644
Lightsplasher

Activity: 371

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 01:52:52 AM

ever look at cryptonite?

I don't know, more data, more better right?  Eventually we can fill the known universe with trivial historical block chain data. Grin
iantunc

Activity: 433

We are the first to program your future (c)

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 07:02:19 AM

ever look at cryptonite?

*And I also think one could 110% guarantee HYPs place as a survivor if Presstab would add in sound effects from Bill & Teds Excellent Adventure for when you stake a block ("Most Triumphant!"  "Excellent!") or get an orphan ("Bogus Dude!")  Cheesy

I don't know, more data, more better right?  Eventually we can fill the known universe with trivial historical block chain data. Grin

Eventually we will fill a little crystal with the known universe Cheesy It can't be called trivial if somebody relies on it in his work.

HyperStake bootstrap server - hyperstrap.ml
HyperStake supply gain prediction graph - hypsupply.ml
Crestington
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 08:39:03 AM

ever look at cryptonite?

*And I also think one could 110% guarantee HYPs place as a survivor if Presstab would add in sound effects from Bill & Teds Excellent Adventure for when you stake a block ("Most Triumphant!"  "Excellent!") or get an orphan ("Bogus Dude!")  Cheesy

I don't know, more data, more better right?  Eventually we can fill the known universe with trivial historical block chain data. Grin

Eventually we will fill a little crystal with the known universe Cheesy It can't be called trivial if somebody relies on it in his work.

For Coins to survive it means that people needs to work together in order to keep relevant, gone are the days where a person should viciously guard their secrets.
Crestington
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 10:17:05 AM

Hey so I was asked about a problem with MaryJaneCoin's code and wondering if you guys might be able to help in some way as well?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=793704.2720

Could be some good PR to correct an issue in a coin with a hardworking community....
Lightsplasher

Activity: 371

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 05:08:35 PM

ever look at cryptonite?

For Coins to survive it means that people needs to work together in order to keep relevant, gone are the days where a person should viciously guard their secrets.

Great points!  Fractal quantum data storage - within all is contained all, I want that little crystal!  Open source that and share the secrets, please.  If a butterfly beating its wings can start a hurricane, (chaos theory) the possibility exists that by cooperation and working together we could keep most any coin relevant. 

Perhaps “trivial” was a poor choice of words, one persons “trivial” is another persons esoteric hobby memorizing the first multiple digits of pi, 3.1415.... Cheesy Please pardon my use of it.

On the plus side the physical limitations of storage and networking does limit in some way the number of block chains one can effectively play around and support on a computer thus insuring a bit of a “survival of the fittest” competition among coin communities.   However, if the block chain becomes too long it does limit the ease at which new community members can get started and it becomes somewhat of a barrier to entry.  I would vote for adding some type of lite client like Panda coin so that it would be easier to use on a cell phone or get started.

I hesitated to be the first person to break from tradition and purge the early data from the quote chain and was kind of on the fence about it until it occurred to me that perhaps we could set some new record for the longest most unwieldy quote chain and somehow it seems apropos in the discussion about retaining or purging old block chain data.  Wink
dreamwatcher
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2015, 05:33:19 PM

Concerning CryptoCoinExplorer:  hyp.cryptocoinexplorer.com

Over the last month or so, there has been more downtime then normal. This is due to server restarts by the server provider.

Before the recent incidents, server restarts were a relatively rare occurrence.When CCE 3.5 was written last year, unattended restarts were not a major consideration.
I do not run a startup script for CCE servers as I prefer to manually restart CCE 3.5 explorers.
This is to ensure the startup goes smooth as there are a couple of issues, though rare, that could come up.

Development of CCE 4 started a few months ago and the database loader is at a state that it could be deployed.
The CCE 4 database loader is very restart friendly and also much more fault/error tolerant then the CCE 3.5 loader.

In light of these recent events, I am going to write a modified version of the CCE 4 database loader that will work with CCE 3.5 databases.

This will allow me to confidently use a server startup script to start the explorers unattended whenever there is a restart.

The plan is to have this deployed over the weekend/early next week.

My apologies for any inconvenience this has caused.
LiteBit
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1050

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 06:14:22 PM

Concerning CryptoCoinExplorer:  hyp.cryptocoinexplorer.com

Over the last month or so, there has been more downtime then normal. This is due to server restarts by the server provider.

Before the recent incidents, server restarts were a relatively rare occurrence.When CCE 3.5 was written last year, unattended restarts were not a major consideration.
I do not run a startup script for CCE servers as I prefer to manually restart CCE 3.5 explorers.
This is to ensure the startup goes smooth as there are a couple of issues, though rare, that could come up.

Development of CCE 4 started a few months ago and the database loader is at a state that it could be deployed.
The CCE 4 database loader is very restart friendly and also much more fault/error tolerant then the CCE 3.5 loader.

In light of these recent events, I am going to write a modified version of the CCE 4 database loader that will work with CCE 3.5 databases.

This will allow me to confidently use a server startup script to start the explorers unattended whenever there is a restart.

The plan is to have this deployed over the weekend/early next week.

My apologies for any inconvenience this has caused.

No worries. Thanks for the update!
Crestington
Legendary

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 12:32:17 AM

I have some more indepth stuff I want to coordinate with but I want to a little more privately, what's a good way to catch up with you guys off bitcointalk?
presstab (OP)
Legendary

Blockchain Developer

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 02:41:48 AM

I have some more indepth stuff I want to coordinate with but I want to a little more privately, what's a good way to catch up with you guys off bitcointalk?

##hyperstake on freenode is usually the best place

ruddsd01

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 01:46:43 PM

I've noticed that the price for HYP has been going down quite a bit over the last few weeks.
Is that because most people are now getting new coins via minting?
Pages: « 1 ... 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 [231] 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 ... 386 »
  Print  

Jump to: