Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:26:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 [319] 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 ... 399 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Pictures of your mining rigs!  (Read 1805652 times)
itod
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1075

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 08:51:49 AM

pre fire

This cabling looks really amateurish. Sorry for their loss, but if power lines were done like this Ethernet cabling no wonder problems occurred.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
king_pin

Activity: 416
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2014, 12:06:22 PM

What did they expect, wood and electricity don't go together very well Smiley

I bet this will give some scammers ideas:
Before someone wanted to steal peoples coins - "Oh,.. I got hacked"
Now - "Oh God,... everything burned I escaped with my life sorry no coins!"
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Help to save a persons life with BITCOIN - http://www.bitcoinsaves.org/en/
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 12:33:40 PM

This cabling looks really amateurish. Sorry for their loss, but if power lines were done like this Ethernet cabling no wonder problems occurred.

The post-fire pictures are taken from the back, and the power cabling does seem to be better organised (though bunching them together neatly may be worse, since it puts all the warm conductive cables tight together so if one melts they all burn together)

I have no clue why the pre-fire picture couldn't have the ethernet cabling nicely clustered and numbered, running in straight lines with the shelving rack - it would be tidier, safer, and easier to service.

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
Coopster8888

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 01:56:19 PM

A little time on the cable would be nice for service on units, but they don't have to worry about that anymore right now Sad Cry

Coopster8888

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 02:01:36 PM

Mucho ouch.  Is there a link to the story anywhere?

http://bravenewcoin.com/news/bitcoin-hashrate-jumps-then-drops-how/

and worst part is he had NO Insurance Cry Embarrassed
The good thing is that the difficulty might go down Wink

kingcolex

Activity: 254
Merit: 1258

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 02:03:55 PM

Mucho ouch.  Is there a link to the story anywhere?

Not going to be able to get insurance for that kind of hardware and price.
Coopster8888

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 02:52:00 PM

Ouch, but it would pay for the building at least, but no insurance at all hurts

itod
Legendary

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 03:49:58 PM

I have no clue why the pre-fire picture couldn't have the ethernet cabling nicely clustered and numbered, running in straight lines with the shelving rack - it would be tidier, safer, and easier to service.

The answer is simple: amateurs don't know how it should be done, they think the way they did is just OK. If they knew better, they would do it properly.
skizzneena

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2014, 06:46:22 PM

After looking at those Thai pictures............. I cant even............Why would they.....Jesus.

AMERICA CANT SURVIVE ON $7.25!  TIPS greatly appreciated: Ea1gywevNkV8YFiZbpxAAHqxAZByyFEnGS
yochdog
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 07:13:57 PM

Sure you can.

Many of us do it all the time.  Just takes the right amount of premium to justify the risk. 

I have a very large business policy on all my equipment.  It's just standard practice. 

I am a trusted trader!  Ask Inaba, Luo Demin, Vanderbleek, Sannyasi, Episking, Miner99er, Isepick, Amazingrando, Cablez, ColdHardMetal, Dextryn, MB300sd, Robocoder, gnar1ta$ and many others!
klondike_bar
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 12:06:03 AM

The answer is simple: amateurs don't know how it should be done, they think the way they did is just OK. If they knew better, they would do it properly.

Amateur hour ended when they set up and operated (safely and at good temperatures) 450+ units for over two months.
-yes, the web of wiring is ugly, but the obstruction to airflow is pretty minimal, especially as its hard to tell in the pictures but there appears to be a 6" or greater gap between the wires and units.
-power wiring on the back side was cleaner it seems.
-area is clean, freshly painted, and had at least a few fire extinguishers and a shutoff switch.

This was not a novice operation, and IMO/IME there is no problem with using crappy basic shelving - it does the job and doesnt obstruct airflow. I dont think the setup was in any way the problem. the problem was:
1) whatever component started the fire (a unit, a fan, a power bar?)
2) The fact that 2 IT workers were sleeping. If one was awake as they should have been the shutoff switch at the transformer would have been hit and the fire stopped dead in its tracks (possibly without even needing an extinguisher). Apparently it took over an hour for the fire to spread according to the dropping hashrate of the farm.
2b) smoke alarms or other automated systems must have been absent or insufficient.

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
darkaire

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2014, 05:20:21 AM

Amateur hour ended when they set up and operated (safely and at good temperatures) 450+ units for over two months.
-yes, the web of wiring is ugly, but the obstruction to airflow is pretty minimal, especially as its hard to tell in the pictures but there appears to be a 6" or greater gap between the wires and units.
-area is clean, freshly painted, and had at least a few fire extinguishers and a shutoff switch.

This was not a novice operation, and IMO/IME there is no problem with using crappy basic shelving - it does the job and doesnt obstruct airflow. I dont think the setup was in any way the problem. the problem was:
2) The fact that 2 IT workers were sleeping. If one was awake as they should have been the shutoff switch at the transformer would have been hit and the fire stopped dead in its tracks (possibly without even needing an extinguisher). Apparently it took over an hour for the fire to spread according to the dropping hashrate of the farm.
2b) smoke alarms or other automated systems must have been absent or insufficient.

This is absolutely an operation put together by amateurs, not real datacenter techs or designers.

I see:

No proper fire suppression equipment anywhere in that building, must less one that is appropriate for a data center fire (large electrical fire). This alone would be totally out of code in the US and un-insurable. If a fire marshal saw this they would rage. I got flack for this one at a place I managed IT for because my racks were too close to the wall (which were like that when I got there).

No real power distribution units you would find in a real datacenter that may have saved this mine, as any power surges or failures would be instantly shut down.

Stack after stack of hot SP30's right on top of each other is the dumbest thing they could have done. Do you have any idea how hot these machines are? They are above and beyond what a typical server puts out. They needed space above and below for this reason, as well as fire safety as one machine in this configuration burning up could quickly spread.

I don't feel sorry for these idiots. No trained engineer would do this. They just packed a few warehouses full of hot, power hungry gear with no safety precautions and paid the price for their ignorance to basic data center fire safety and building code. Hopefully this is a nice lesson for the rest of you to be careful and stay safe.

Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1001

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2014, 05:38:15 AM

This must be how/why so many Blackarrow/minersource deliveries were TOA. Toasted On Arrival. Cheesy

Could SP be BA/MS ?

Group Bitcoin

Activity: 180

Cloud Mining & Colocation

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2014, 12:19:11 PM

An Inert gas fire suppression system would ruin ROI for any Bitcoin mine but surely if you spent a few million on SP30's you'd buy a few $5 fire alarms and have a security guard?

I think it's an insurance scam but they forgot to buy any first.

You could fry an egg on top of an SP10 I certainty wouldn't put 2 on top of each other.

mazedk

Activity: 457

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 04:11:01 PM

An Inert gas fire suppression system would ruin ROI for any Bitcoin mine but surely if you spent a few million on SP30's you'd buy a few $5 fire alarms and have a security guard?

You could fry an egg on top of an SP10 I certainty wouldn't put 2 on top of each other.

They have/had people on site.. But agreed, a fire alarm setup with linked firealarms would have been nice.. might have saved a lot of their gear.
klondike_bar
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 04:20:09 PM

SP10 had the heatsinks bolted to the bottom of the frame, heance the case being so hot. the SP30 'hovers' so its case doesnt get remotely as hot to the touch.

and most fire suppression systems would either damage the miners, or are designed for enclosed data centers (you cant just sray inert gas into a windtunnel - it would be pushed out of the building in a heartbeat by all those fans

itod
Legendary

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 04:32:52 PM

It's not just the obstruction to airflow issue with that ethernet wiring, it shows the general sloppiness together with absolute absence of attention to detail. Anyone who wired 450+ ethernet devices like that most probably never wired anything more complex than a home router, it was bound to cause at least some network glitches. Network cables should not carry it's own weight, and certainly not the weight of hundred or more cables meshed into a spider net, with the whole combined weight of all of them carried by whichever is the shortest one of them, certainly giving some tension on the motherboard it was connected to. It sure was not the cause of the fire, but is obviously wrong to anyone who wired a single rack of equipment. We can only assume how they did the power distribution, but looking at the front side it would be surprising if there were not some very elementary errors which directly contributed to what happened.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 06:29:27 PM

They have/had people on site.. But agreed, a fire alarm setup with linked firealarms would have been nice.. might have saved a lot of their gear.

You'd think you'd invest in cable ties before investing in fire alarms, no?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
mazedk

Activity: 457

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 06:52:20 PM

You'd think you'd invest in cable ties before investing in fire alarms, no?

Yup.. but again.. you snooze, you loose.. and so they did.
klondike_bar
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 11:20:38 PM

It's not just the obstruction to airflow issue with that ethernet wiring, it shows the general sloppiness together with absolute absence of attention to detail. Anyone who wired 450+ ethernet devices like that most probably never wired anything more complex than a home router, it was bound to cause at least some network glitches. Network cables should not carry it's own weight, and certainly not the weight of hundred or more cables meshed into a spider net, with the whole combined weight of all of them carried by whichever is the shortest one of them, certainly giving some tension on the motherboard it was connected to. It sure was not the cause of the fire, but is obviously wrong to anyone who wired a single rack of equipment. We can only assume how they did the power distribution, but looking at the front side it would be surprising if there were not some very elementary errors which directly contributed to what happened.

the post-fire images indicate that all the power cabling on the backside was bundled far more cleanly. The ethernet was a mess but honestly i dont think its the issue being made out to be. They appear overlapping, but not tangled, so its not like 10lbs of cable is pulling on the shortest link. furthermore, to run wires all the way to the floor, then to the networking rack and back up again would probably double or triple the length of some cables used, which really just leads to more mess of its own, and being unable to follow individual cables when 50 white cords are ziptied together.

A lot could be improved, but until the actual cause of fire is revealed its just a lot of guessing - with most being accusations of the wiring or hardware, when the fire could have been initiated by anything.

Pages: « 1 ... 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 [319] 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 ... 399 »
  Print  

Jump to: