Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 12:03:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 [1030] 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 ... 1315 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][BURST] Burst | Efficient HDD Mining | New 1.2.3 Fork block 92000  (Read 2170603 times)
mczarnek

Activity: 527
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 06:15:34 PM

Hmm.. I was thinking about how to convince POC and POC 2 to come up with an attack against the bitshaving.

And realized that POC actually can be bitshaved too. You only store every other hash in the hash chain.

I may have another idea in mind for POC 2 though. One that means you don't even have to plot your harddrive in the first place.

this bitshaving is more expensive than simply storing the data somewhere.
if you shave one byte of 64 in each scoop of a nonce you have to check 256 options insstead of one during mining.
even if you find a better deadline than the original scoop would yield the network wont accept this solution.
so to do a 0,64% shaving you burn much more energy.
compared to rig costs this means if you run a 164 hdd rig you save one disk  Roll Eyes

another way to take statistical advantages would be to only store a reduced number of scoops to optimize your deadlines for the ones you have them stored for.
i have not looked into this in detail but the statistical idea is instead of mining with 100tb the whole day to mine on 3.6 blocks with a compareable storage of 1pb.
the tricky parts becomes disk io and at current diff levels this does not make sense. but maybe in some years.

I think this is true of POC2 which is basically POW. But as it stands.. It's currently better to only store partial plots for current algo. Say you store every other scoop, then if you are supposed to be pulling out of the bucket you have, you pull it from there. If you are planning to pull it out of a scoop that doesn't exist, then you pull it out of the previous one and hash it once to generate it.

But what if you just used the users hard drive in the current state, and they submitteded the merkle root for the drive (which would take time to calculate too) then when mining you required that they submit a specific branch of that merkle tree as proof it was their turn to mine?

BitSend ◢◤Clients | Source
www.bitsend.info
█▄
█████▄
████████▄
███████████▄
██████████████
███████████▀
████████▀
█████▀
█▀

Segwit | Core 0.14 | Masternodes
XEVAN | DK3 | Electrum soon
Bitcore - BTX/BTC -Project

BSD -USDT | Bittrex | C.Gather | S.Exchange
Cryptopia | NovaExchange | Livecoin
Litebit.eu | Faucet | Bitsend Airdrop

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████
mczarnek

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 06:17:56 PM

In my opinion.. short term, low prices are good, we need to attract more developers and entrepreneur types and let miners who are mining for short term profit go ahead and dump.. the more business and development minded people we get on board at these prices, the better long term.

I partially agree. Short term low prices are good, but as long as there is volume.  Haven't had any decent volume in ages. If people sell, but not make buy orders, it's not gonna happen. But I see the order book has increased slightly during this week

Please let the price fall down to 100 satoshi. At 100 satoshi i will place a 10 BTC buywall (and more BTC incoming if necessary).

today is the day. let's see how long we can buy BURST for under 100 satoshi Smiley

It will last under 100 for quite some time, its just another pump n dump coin sadly =(

Idk.. Not for long, inflation and volume is just so low for now. I still believe I this coin though.

Also, University of Pittsburgh is interested in providing is with interns top help us code. Could everyone contact your local university and ask for the same? I my opinion that is Bush's biggest weakness. We have one programmer, who is an amazing programmer but there is only so much one person can do and we really need a few more people developing the coin.

www.bitsend.info
█▄
█████▄
████████▄
███████████▄
██████████████
███████████▀
████████▀
█████▀
█▀

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████
mczarnek

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 06:27:08 PM

Warning, I would not want to be holding on to namecoin currently:  http://cointelegraph.com/news/114129/why-namecoin-didnt-take-off-a-cautionary-tale

Also, potentially some good lessons for us to learn as well.  In my opinion we need to figure out a good POC algorithm that is truly ASIC proof, which I'm convinced is possible.  Then after that we need to work on being as user friendly as possible and solving users problems.

www.bitsend.info
█▄
█████▄
████████▄
███████████▄
██████████████
███████████▀
████████▀
█████▀
█▀

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████
mmmaybe

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2015, 09:24:59 PM

Tim Draper (& Co) seems not to read Twitter or this thread. Maybe we should change the strategy of the PR team:

http://www.coindesk.com/hedgy-1-2-million-smart-contract-bitcoin-derivatives/

Well I sort of feel like we are waiting to hammer out the details of POC2 before we can really talk to venture capitalists.  Maybe that isn't needed.

But it probably would be a good idea to start approaching them..  maybe we can try to talk to the same ones that funded Hedgy and tell them we've already got smart contracts working Smiley

For once Elmit actually contributes something useful. Grats.

Well, we have discussed it for several months, but as usual we have had too much to do to really act.

Rule 1. Never give credit to Elmit before a triple-check.

I'd hate to have to unignore his posts Wink

mmmaybe

Activity: 462

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2015, 10:27:28 PM

In my opinion.. short term, low prices are good, we need to attract more developers and entrepreneur types and let miners who are mining for short term profit go ahead and dump.. the more business and development minded people we get on board at these prices, the better long term.

I partially agree. Short term low prices are good, but as long as there is volume.  Haven't had any decent volume in ages. If people sell, but not make buy orders, it's not gonna happen. But I see the order book has increased slightly during this week

Please let the price fall down to 100 satoshi. At 100 satoshi i will place a 10 BTC buywall (and more BTC incoming if necessary).

today is the day. let's see how long we can buy BURST for under 100 satoshi Smiley

It will last under 100 for quite some time, its just another pump n dump coin sadly =(

Can you expand on this a bit? Why PnD? Abd why sadly?

How do you come to your conclusion given the novelty of the coin and still very active Devs delivering new features before other coins in the same genre?

To me it seems you just want a low price to get buy opportunities.

GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 11:40:30 PM

I partially agree. Short term low prices are good, but as long as there is volume.  Haven't had any decent volume in ages. If people sell, but not make buy orders, it's not gonna happen. But I see the order book has increased slightly during this week

How do you come to your conclusion given the novelty of the coin and still very active Devs delivering new features before other coins in the same genre?

Naw, its just this coin is going the way of all other alts, gradual downtrend into nothing where anyone gives a shit about it anymore. I love this coin and the mining uniqueness, but its sad that its not catching on at all and hence thats when it becomes a pump n dump.

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
ltcnim
Legendary

Activity: 914
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 11:55:15 PM

Naw, its just this coin is going the way of all other alts, gradual downtrend into nothing where anyone gives a shit about it anymore. I love this coin and the mining uniqueness, but its sad that its not catching on at all and hence thats when it becomes a pump n dump.

This coin is still pretty young. And ppl are not throwing money at every new alt coin anymore. The coins have to prove themselfes first, and that's whats currently happening with BURST. Active devs, a nice, energy friendly way to mine etc. I'm pretty sure BURST will have a bright future.

FakeAccount

Activity: 248
Merit: 100

I'm not real

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 01:10:52 AM

Warning, I would not want to be holding on to namecoin currently:  http://cointelegraph.com/news/114129/why-namecoin-didnt-take-off-a-cautionary-tale

Also, potentially some good lessons for us to learn as well.  In my opinion we need to figure out a good POC algorithm that is truly ASIC proof, which I'm convinced is possible.  Then after that we need to work on being as user friendly as possible and solving users problems.
"1. Namecoin wasn't easy enough to use. The wallet still sucks, and there were no resolvers or good tutorials until I got involved. And that was three years after Namecoin existed. If they'd had a great wallet, a good resolver, and good tutorials from day one, Dot-Bit domains could likely be universal by now.

The developers spent way too much time working on the nuance of perfecting each leaf in the forest (adding tons of minute functions most people wouldn't use) without seeing the overall picture of trees (usability to drive adoption)."

see any similarities??? Smiley
crowetic
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1072

https://crowetic.com | https://qortal.org

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2015, 01:50:48 AM

"1. Namecoin wasn't easy enough to use. The wallet still sucks, and there were no resolvers or good tutorials until I got involved. And that was three years after Namecoin existed. If they'd had a great wallet, a good resolver, and good tutorials from day one, Dot-Bit domains could likely be universal by now.

The developers spent way too much time working on the nuance of perfecting each leaf in the forest (adding tons of minute functions most people wouldn't use) without seeing the overall picture of trees (usability to drive adoption)."

see any similarities??? Smiley

There are many usability projects in the works. Including mobile wallets and simple GUI plotter/miner combo programs. They may not be as fast as we may like them, coming into the market, however, they ARE there, and the core team of this coin is ever expanding, adding members useful in all aspects, and reaching out to various forms of promotion and assistance and development.

BURST has a VERY bright future, and I think of times like these, when people are saying things like this, as a great time to BUY.

Maybe it is because I see the inside, but I can see this coin becoming HUGE.

Go ahead with your naysayer babble, allow me to accumulate a BUNCH of my favorite coin for low prices.

I will continue to develop my projects, and so will everyone else involved in one way or another with this fantastic community/tech. Because we know, one day this will all be worth it.

Call me crazy, but I really don't see BURST doing anything but getting bigger. For quite a while to come.

^5 to the BURST true believers Wink

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
             ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
          ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
        ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
     ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓              ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
  ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒                          ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒                            ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                              ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒                              ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒                               ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                      ▒▓▓▓▓▓▒    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▓▓▓▓▓
  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓              ▒▒▒▒▒▒     ▓▓▓▓▓▓▒    ▓▓▓
   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓              ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓
   ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒              ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓              ▓▓▓▓▓▓▒    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒            ▓▓▓▓▓▓▒    ▓▓▓▓▓▓
       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▒   ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓
         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓
           ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
              ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
                   ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

ORTAL
    ..Web and Application hosting.
     ⊙ decentralized infrastructure
    ..leveling and voting.
| https://qortal.org - Infrastructure for the future World
            Founder/current dev group facilitator
[/td][/tr][/table]

[/table]
dpcoinz

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 03:18:17 AM

[miner]

new version Burst-miner v1.150509
https://github.com/Blagodarenko/miner-burst/releases/download/1.150509/miner-burst-1.150509.zip

- solved memory usage issue
- parameter "UseCleanMem" did not used
- key "q" - quit/exit
- key "m" - memory cleaner
- new lib pdcurses.dll

limits:
Nonces, stagger and CacheSize must be a multiple of HDD's sector size / 64 ( 4096 by default / 64 = 64 ).
Miner's window not resizing and not scrolling.

https://i.imgur.com/MP67ZXV.jpg

https://github.com/Blagodarenko/miner-burst

Hey Blago,  Can this miner be used for solo mining?  I tried to set it up and it only blinks briefly and closes. 
Nothing in the log file as to why it closed.  I change the mode to "pool" and the miner starts up fine, so I'm
pretty sure the config syntax is ok.  I change the mode to "solo" and it just flashes briefly, and closes" 
Any ideas on how to get this to work?

Thanks,
dp
Blago

Activity: 416

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 04:07:37 AM

Hey Blago,  Can this miner be used for solo mining?  I tried to set it up and it only blinks briefly and closes.  
Nothing in the log file as to why it closed.  I change the mode to "pool" and the miner starts up fine, so I'm
pretty sure the config syntax is ok.  I change the mode to "solo" and it just flashes briefly, and closes"  

Thanks,
dp

just I checked to be working fine in solo mode...
PM your config (not log-file!)

Relax, I’m russian!...
BURST-B2LU-SGCZ-NYVS-HZEPK
FakeAccount

I'm not real

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 04:30:53 AM

Hey Blago,  Can this miner be used for solo mining?  I tried to set it up and it only blinks briefly and closes.  
Nothing in the log file as to why it closed.  I change the mode to "pool" and the miner starts up fine, so I'm
pretty sure the config syntax is ok.  I change the mode to "solo" and it just flashes briefly, and closes"  

Thanks,
dp

just I checked to be working fine in solo mode...
PM your config (not log-file!)

sounds like what I'm experiencing too with new version
Erkallys
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 02:19:12 PM

In the next week I'll buy some HDDs. Does anyone has a favourite one on Newegg or on another website ?
go6ooo1212
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

quarkchain.io

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 02:32:45 PM

Try some seagate - SV35 series
pinballdude

Activity: 286

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 03:56:15 PM

In the next week I'll buy some HDDs. Does anyone has a favourite one on Newegg or on another website ?

Buy the cheapest price per TB, all the cheap ones on the market atm seems to work fine with burst.

If You are going large, you might want to buy slightly larger disks even though they are more expensive, because only so many disks can be connected to the run of the mill motherboard.

I found 4TB disks to be an okay compromise. Also bought two 8TB seagate archive disks, but use them for archiving, not burst, and the space then freed have been plotted and is mining now.

Use a price comparison service like pricerunner or the like, to find the cheapest per terabyte disk in your are. (most of then can sort by price per terabyte).

FakeAccount

I'm not real

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 05:30:27 PM

my advise: buy a little bit, 1-2 maybe, set them up so that you can see how burst works etc... then with the rest of the money you would have spent on more drives, buy burst. right now, this is a better transaction.
mczarnek

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 06:00:11 PM

Oh, and I was wrong, burstdev was a step ahead of me of course Smiley

The attack I was talking about doesn't completely work.. and I figured out a work around that defeats

Also, everyone met mthcl:  https://burstforum.com/index.php?threads/poc2-and-asic-resistance.796/
Guy has a good brain for algorithms and math, I met him while working on Nxt.

www.bitsend.info
█▄
█████▄
████████▄
███████████▄
██████████████
███████████▀
████████▀
█████▀
█▀

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████
bensam1231
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1024

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 07:10:38 PM
Last edit: May 02, 2015, 07:34:10 PM by bensam1231

Not sure if you guys remember when I mentioned not finding many blocks while solo vs pool mining. There is still something weird about solo mining. I've been mining on pools and mining solo off and on. Whenever I go solo, the amount of blocks I find is about 50-60% of what I'm supposed to. I'm not talking about what the pool pays me, rather the amount of blocks I find while on the pool. This isn't just luck, I've been mining for quite some time and have quite a few data points built up.

I'm not sure if it's just me, but mining solo decreases the number of blocks I find quite a bit. I'm not sure why or how.

when you are soloing, you are running the wallet yourself.

i think, when you are pool mining, the wallet is running on the pool server.

the big difference here is if your clock is off 10 or 20 or 30 seconds.  That will loose you a lot of blocks.

check your computer clock to the second, if it is more than a few seconds off, install "NetTime" or a similar product, and have it update your clock often enough that you never get a time off more than a second or two.

both windows 7 and windows 10 have built in internet synchronization, but they sync too infrequently, and are pretty bad at handling congestion and servers that are down, to be of any use for keeping the time within needed bounds for burst mining.

Some pools favor certain total plot sizes. If you are mining at a pool that favors close to what total plot size you have, you might end up getting more burst than you would solo mining.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Obviously it's some sort of problem with the wallet. I've been using nettime for quite some time though, so it's not a time problem. It syncs every four hours.

I've also noticed when mining solo I get less 'Winner: no info yet' for the winner in the deadline compared to when I'm mining on the pool. There is some sort latency issue happening there that I'm not entirely sure where it's coming from and I think is what is messing up my blocks.

I buy private Nvidia miners. Send information and/or inquiries to my PM box.
Erkallys
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 07:15:40 PM

my advise: buy a little bit, 1-2 maybe, set them up so that you can see how burst works etc... then with the rest of the money you would have spent on more drives, buy burst. right now, this is a better transaction.

So it's better to hold some BURSTs ?
bitladen

Activity: 322

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 07:31:04 PM

made .15 BTC profit on this dump heheh bought at 102 a few days ago. But seriously, everybody, put some buy orders, don't just withdraw the coins if you sell.

smaxer your deadbeat buddy. wheres your 10BTC wall. price is 100 now

Pages: « 1 ... 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 [1030] 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 ... 1315 »
  Print  

Jump to: