Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:16:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 [1293] 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312340 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 12:16:46 PM

PSA: If the beta GUI is not working on your Windows system, please follow this guide

https://monero.stackexchange.com/questions/2928/how-to-change-the-monero-core-rendering-mode-for-older-computers/2929#2929

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
logictense

Activity: 2146
Merit: 518

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2016, 01:45:15 PM

Just took out a short position. Will add more to shorts when GUI hype strengthens, if ever.

The timing of the release event is fortuitous though.

My personal preference was to short before the beginning of january and let it topple down the well with no fundamental improvements, which would have been a classy opportune trade allowing to profit off the imminent V-shaped bottom. Anyways...

The GUI thing is what I call marketing elitism. U know why. People like me, wanting to use the GUI, compiled it themselves months back. Getting the shit popping when china rushes for the new bitcoin ATH is perfectly in tune with my mid-term bitcoin price forecast, which turns monero into paradise for shorts. So keep fishing for idiots who need ur GUI.

TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 02:07:05 PM

The bitcoin rally might end up into epic Monero price both in terms of bitcoins and especially in terms of fiat. I see no reason why the price of Monero could not reach 0.10-0.30 btc during the peak and bitcoin at 3000 makes Monero a 300-900 dollar per coin.
keeptrollintrollin

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 02:09:58 PM

Just took out a short position. Will add more to shorts when GUI hype strengthens, if ever.

My personal preference was to short before the beginning of january and let it topple down the well with no fundamental improvements, which would have been a classy opportune trade allowing to profit off the imminent V-shaped bottom. Anyways...

The GUI thing is what I call marketing elitism. U know why. People like me, wanting to use the GUI, compiled it themselves months back. Getting the shit popping when china rushes for the new bitcoin ATH is perfectly in tune with my mid-term bitcoin price forecast, which turns monero into paradise for shorts. So keep fishing for idiots who need ur GUI.

Very short term, maybe. Longer term, margin call.
TMAN
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1808

Exchange Bitcoin quickly-https://blockchain.com.do

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2016, 02:10:00 PM

The bitcoin rally might end up into epic Monero price both in terms of bitcoins and especially in terms of fiat. I see no reason why the price of Monero could not reach 0.10-0.30 btc during the peak and bitcoin at 3000 makes Monero a 300-900 dollar per coin.

$300 per is a wet dream for some of us.. 0.03 would surfice to make me a happy camper.

███████████████████████████
████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀████████
██████▀▄██▀▀▄▄ ████▄▀██████
█████ ███ ████ ▀▀████ █████
████ █████ ███▀▀▀▄████ ████
████ ███▀▀▀▄▄▄████████ ████
████ ██▄▄▀▀███████▀▄▄█ ████
█████ █████ █▀██▀▄███ █████
██████▄▀███▀▄█▀▄███▀▄██████
████████▄▄▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▄▄████████
██████████▀▄███████████████
██████████████████████████
.FORTUNEJACK   JOIN INVINCIBLE JACKMATE AND WIN......10 BTC........
█████████████████████████
██████▀▀▀       ▀▀▀██████
█████  ▄▄▄█████▄▄▄  █████
█████  █████ █████  █████
█████  ██▄     ▄██  █████
█████  ████   ████  █████
█████▄  ██▄▄█▄▄██  ▄█████
██████▄  ███████  ▄██████
███████▄   ▀▀▀   ▄███████
██████████▄▄ ▄▄██████████
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 02:15:25 PM

$300 per is a wet dream for some of us.. 0.03 would surfice to make me a happy camper.

0.03 very likely will take place in spring rally (not sure though) even without bitcoin rally.. Often I have been wrong also so take this as grain and salt.

EDIT: I have enough bitcoins for the rally so unfortunately I am not in the need of bitcoins and thus no need for selling my Moneros (unless the Monero goes parabolic against bitcoins I might consider selling 10-20 Moneros).
cryptimus prime

Activity: 493
Merit: 551

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 02:27:07 PM

I can only recommend to have an eye on the XMR/USD(T) chart.
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2016, 02:36:11 PM

Pretty impressive prices considering the current Bitcoin rally. Had that GUI dropped any other time I think Monero would have doubled in price  Shocked
obit33

Activity: 514
Merit: 258

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 02:39:33 PM

I can only recommend to have an eye on the XMR/USD(T) chart.

link?
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 02:45:52 PM

Pretty impressive prices considering the current Bitcoin rally. Had that GUI dropped any other time I think Monero would have doubled in price  Shocked

I think its just dropping, more impact to be felt as the news trickles out.

TMAN
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1808

Exchange Bitcoin quickly-https://blockchain.com.do

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2016, 02:50:36 PM

does anyone know if XMR has any Chinese exposure as yet?

████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀████████
██████▀▄██▀▀▄▄ ████▄▀██████
█████ ███ ████ ▀▀████ █████
████ █████ ███▀▀▀▄████ ████
████ ███▀▀▀▄▄▄████████ ████
████ ██▄▄▀▀███████▀▄▄█ ████
█████ █████ █▀██▀▄███ █████
██████▄▀███▀▄█▀▄███▀▄██████
████████▄▄▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▄▄████████
██████████▀▄███████████████
.FORTUNEJACK   JOIN INVINCIBLE JACKMATE AND WIN......10 BTC........
██████▀▀▀       ▀▀▀██████
█████  ▄▄▄█████▄▄▄  █████
█████  █████ █████  █████
█████  ██▄     ▄██  █████
█████  ████   ████  █████
█████▄  ██▄▄█▄▄██  ▄█████
██████▄  ███████  ▄██████
███████▄   ▀▀▀   ▄███████
██████████▄▄ ▄▄██████████
Aby Normal

Activity: 48
Merit: 2

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 02:53:02 PM

Oh dear, you member the price of "that other coin" 3 years ago when BTC was over 1k USD?
You know which coin is "that other coin" now?
You aware of the difference in supply and tech between those other coins then and now?
Oh stupid me, who needs advanced fungible cryptocurrency with its stupid GUI and mobile wallets and other stuff nobody cares about  Wink
phishead

Activity: 1873
Merit: 840

Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2016, 05:39:09 PM

You know I just thought of something.

The more Bitcoin goes up in price will inevitably cause a lot of push back on the devs from doing anything like Hard Forking anything in or doing anything of the sort to improve.  I mean in a way, Bitcoin is being bought up for absolutely no reason at all.  That's kind of like a kid being rewarded for not doing his homework... what do you think he is going to do next time when home work is assigned?

When I see Bitcoin's price and network effect grow up, I just see people looking at Bitcoin's price as a reason for validating it's usefulness and "success" (it's been happening for a while).  If that's the case, I just feel like something has got to give to where there is so much back up on the network that people will get insanely aggravated with it and probably start selling which possibly cause panic selling.

This is why I believe the "mandatory fork system" that Monero has is so awesome... Keeps everything "fresh" just like in Linux.
phoenix rises

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 06:32:03 PM

Also seems the GUI release is (unsurprisingly) resulting in more people running full nodes already.
Node count had been hovering 390-420 ish last few weeks, now up to 447, highest I have seen it. This is great for the future and we are only one day in Wink

https://monerohash.com/nodes-distribution.html

If anyone has a historic chart of node count I would be really interested to see that.

Can't wait for Backround Mining to be introduced - is there any timeline on this ? I think one of the most important issues for monero now is to get the security level up and I am pretty sure that there are many of us here who would gladly 'donate' hash power to the network will little expectation of reward (other than the intrinsic reward of helping to secure the network in a distributed manner)

I hope Jaxx can follow through in a timely manner with their mobile wallet and integration into their upcoming hardware wallet that is being developed. Or anyone else!

The pieces really seem to be falling into place for monero now. 2% of Alphabay business already, with no GUI, no HW wallet, no mobile wallet, no Ring CT ... 5% by end of Q2 seems entirely possible imo. Then we can say the snowball is really starting to roll ...

Bring on 2017  Cheesy

pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 06:38:36 PM

Also seems the GUI release is (unsurprisingly) resulting in more people running full nodes already.
Node count had been hovering 390-420 ish last few weeks, now up to 447, highest I have seen it. This is great for the future and we are only one day in Wink

If anyone has a historic chart of node count I would be really interested to see that.

Can't wait for Backround Mining to be introduced - is there any timeline on this ? I think one of the most important issues for monero now is to get the security level up and I am pretty sure that there are many of us here who would gladly 'donate' hash power to the network will little expectation of reward (other than the intrinsic reward of helping to secure the network in a distributed manner)

I hope Jaxx can follow through in a timely manner with their mobile wallet and integration into their upcoming hardware wallet that is being developed. Or anyone else!

The pieces really seem to be falling into place for monero now. 2% of Alphabay business already, with no GUI, no HW wallet, no mobile wallet, no Ring CT ... 5% by end of Q2 seems entirely possible imo. Then we can say the snowball is really starting to roll ...

Bring on 2017  Cheesy

I want to get back into Monero, I invested originally back in the day but eventually sold. It seems they are finally making it more user friendly with the GUI. But I still have problems with the scalability problem. Some people complain about Bitcoin's blockchain being too heavy but we already got it figured out with segwit, lightning network etc to scale for the next years. Now my question is, how is Monero going to deal with its blockchain which as far as I remember is a couple times heavier than Bitcoin or grows at a faster rate? Also how fast is Monero nowadays compared to Bitcoin?

I guess for its niche that is not an important but its still good to know how thinks are going to be dealt with in the future.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2016, 06:48:01 PM

how is Monero going to deal with its blockchain which as far as I remember is a couple times heavier than Bitcoin or grows at a faster rate? Also how fast is Monero nowadays compared to Bitcoin?

Monero has 2 minute blocks, so getting a first confirmation tends to be 5X quicker than Bitcoin.

As for XMR's blockchain bloat, Layer 2 solutions are on the roadmap.

Meanwhile we may use what I call "economic pruning" (IE non-trivial minimum tx fees) to keep the blockchain manageable and spam-free.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 06:49:18 PM

Bring on 2017  Cheesy

I want to get back into Monero, I invested originally back in the day but eventually sold. It seems they are finally making it more user friendly with the GUI. But I still have problems with the scalability problem. Some people complain about Bitcoin's blockchain being too heavy but we already got it figured out with segwit, lightning network etc to scale for the next years. Now my question is, how is Monero going to deal with its blockchain which as far as I remember is a couple times heavier than Bitcoin or grows at a faster rate? Also how fast is Monero nowadays compared to Bitcoin?

I guess for its niche that is not an important but its still good to know how thinks are going to be dealt with in the future.

Monero is 5 times faster then Bitcoin with a difference that your transaction always get thrue and you dont need to wait sometimes even a day as can happen with Bitcoin.
Blockchain is around 9 GB what is like 12 times smaller then Bitcoins 100 GB.

About nodes I am sure we are somewhere at the max now. But number will just increase. Africa and South america looks most empty. When we will have a node in the North Korea, then we could say that network is really secured.

phoenix rises

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 06:55:53 PM
Last edit: December 23, 2016, 07:14:04 PM by phoenix rises

Yes, blockchain will be bigger, but I dont see many people complaining about BTC blockchain size - it's the block size and subsuquent congestion that is the real issue, and we have that covered with adptive blocksizes, so we will never have to have the debate that is going on with BTC now. At the end of the day its just data storage, and the price paid for XMR privacy is a bigger chain. Sure, that will likely lead to more node centralisation in the future, but that seems an unavoidable part of this tech.

AFAIK, and from what I have read, there is absolutely no reason why the 2nd layer solutions being proposed for BTC cannot  be applied to XMR in due course, so I don't see any problems there tbh. It's not like we need them yet, and the tech will be more mature by the time we do.

Pure speculation : As the Aeon project has been taken on by Smooth, is part of the monero stack exchange,  and XMR tech is going to be implemented there in due course, it would not surprise me to see Aeon playing a role in XMR's future as a slightly less private, but very related coin that one could keep smaller balances in for day to day stuff. It is a 'lighter' version of Cryptonote and intended to be mobile-friendly, with some compromise on privacy levels to achieve that. That may play a part in scaling too ...
EDIT : Disclosure - yes I have bought a bunch purely on the basis that Smooth is involved, it looks like it will be developed alongside XMR, and its being virtually given away at the moment ...
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2016, 07:43:36 PM

PSA: If the beta GUI is not working on your Windows system, please follow this guide

https://monero.stackexchange.com/questions/2928/how-to-change-the-monero-core-rendering-mode-for-older-computers/2929#2929

Thanks @dEBRUYNE some newer computers need it also

KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 08:54:39 PM

Hey gang... just wondering if this is normal or maybe I have something set wrong:

I'm running the new GUI on my MacBook Pro circa mid-2012 model with spinning-disk HD not SSD.  Apple 'home' partition 100Gb with 36Gb free now... and other partitions set up 'different' for a dual-boot Win7 native option.

I've never had the CLI or any full XMR blockchain on this machine before now (always managed with just MyMonero, Polo, etc) and only previously ran that "pre release" download of the compiled GUI wallet for OSX, a couple months ago, which always worked fine.

Anyway, I downloaded the Beta 1 GUI release and it's running now & been downloading the big file since yesterday, almost 24 hours.

Yet I'm only at about "Synchronizing Blocks 269505 / 1207936" so far.

Seems a lot slower than I expected... so... something wrong or this is par for the course?

TIA for any info.

P.S. Also not sure if it'd be a good idea BUT after I have the full blockchain downloaded I was considering moving it to my home network NAS... since this Apple HD partition doesn't really have a *ton* of free space left.  But given if this system is slower than expected would that be manageable? OR maybe having the blockchain on my home network NAS would really be even more intolerably slow to actually use? Anyone try a setup like this yet...?

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
Pages: « 1 ... 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 [1293] 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: