Bitcoin Forum
January 29, 2020, 07:26:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 0.19.0.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1861 1862 1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 1875 1876 1877 1878 1879 1880 1881 1882 1883 1884 1885 1886 1887 1888 1889 1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 1897 1898 1899 1900 1901 1902 1903 1904 1905 1906 1907 1908 1909 1910 [1911] 1912 1913 1914 1915 1916 1917 1918 1919 1920 1921 1922 1923 1924 1925 1926 1927 1928 1929 1930 1931 1932 1933 1934 1935 1936 1937 1938 1939 1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 ... 2083 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3215230 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 2 users deleted.)
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 10:18:57 PM
Merited by Hueristic (1)

So what became of those little chain forks? Was that someone making attempts at double spends?

Masari forked for 23 blocks after switching to anti-asic hashes.  Looks like a pattern to me.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1361

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 10:45:01 PM

So what became of those little chain forks? Was that someone making attempts at double spends?

Masari forked for 23 blocks after switching to anti-asic hashes.  Looks like a pattern to me.

Thanks man so yeah thats good news. Smiley

cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1439

UNLEASH THE FURY!

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 11:29:30 PM
Merited by Shnikes101 (1)

I've been speculating a little (see what I did?).

I do not really expect ledger support on it's own to cause a big bump in price.  In other words, I am not sure people will now buy Monero just because they can store it with the help of a Nano S.  If I had to bet I would guess this is already priced in.  I hope I am very very wrong! Wink

But, I DO believe it will make more people who have bought XMR and are holding it on the exchanges (crazy pants, imo) to take DELIVERY of their asset since they can now store it much more safely using their own gear.

If that is true this will change the liquidity on the exchange markets.  It will make Monero less liquid, and possibly more volatile, with an upside bias in my opinion.

To that end once the 0.12.1 builds are out it would behoove us to make a clear foolproof tip-sheet explaining how to create the wallet in the CLI and then use it in the GUI.  Because that will be the final barrier for our less tech savvy users.

I will be glad to do this and publish it.   I have been trying to get the Windows binaries to compile on my machine with no luck yet...
Shnikes101

Activity: 255
Merit: 109

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 02:36:26 AM

I've been speculating a little (see what I did?).

I do not really expect ledger support on it's own to cause a big bump in price.  In other words, I am not sure people will now buy Monero just because they can store it with the help of a Nano S.  If I had to bet I would guess this is already priced in.  I hope I am very very wrong! Wink

But, I DO believe it will make more people who have bought XMR and are holding it on the exchanges (crazy pants, imo) to take DELIVERY of their asset since they can now store it much more safely using their own gear.

If that is true this will change the liquidity on the exchange markets.  It will make Monero less liquid, and possibly more volatile, with an upside bias in my opinion.

To that end once the 0.12.1 builds are out it would behoove us to make a clear foolproof tip-sheet explaining how to create the wallet in the CLI and then use it in the GUI.  Because that will be the final barrier for our less tech savvy users.

I will be glad to do this and publish it.   I have been trying to get the Windows binaries to compile on my machine with no luck yet...

Would love to see this guide once available.

I didn't see meeting notes today. Are they back to a less frequent schedule?
elrippos friend

Activity: 812
Merit: 148

only hodl what you understand and love!

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 05:02:19 AM

0,06125 bei October 15 2018  Cool Grin Cheesy

Not December 18 2017 anymore?  Damn it, I'm still waiting!

#meetoo

heidikarenina

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 05:07:44 AM

The dumps were absorbed good enough in my opinion. The problem is that right now we have someone (credible enough for me) who is telling that there is some kind of  major problem with the blockchain. But he hasnt give enough explanations. So there is great uncertainty right now and it will stay for a while unless we know more about that or we conclude it was bullshit...
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1127

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 11:16:12 AM

The dumps were absorbed good enough in my opinion. The problem is that right now we have someone (credible enough for me) who is telling that there is some kind of  major problem with the blockchain. But he hasnt give enough explanations. So there is great uncertainty right now and it will stay for a while unless we know more about that or we conclude it was bullshit...

There's nothing wrong with the network. There was a "mini-fork" last week, which resulted in an alternative chain of 25-35 blocks. It was presumably caused by a mining pool's daemon being stuck whilst still serving a block template. In addition, some (remote) nodes were affected too, i.e., they synced to this mini alternative chain. Evidently, this resulted in a small subset of users not being able to properly use Monero.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 02:23:24 PM

Where the link to this "someone (credible enough for me)" and why would I care what you find credible? Who are you that we should trust you?

So friday instead of buying into a diving market on the rebound I shorted Stella and just put my profits in XMR at the same price I would have got it at friday. Smiley

Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1122

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 03:17:20 PM

I didn't see meeting notes today. Are they back to a less frequent schedule?

Developers meetings are every 2 weeks as they were in the past. But There was a community meeting this weekend.

.BitDice.               ▄▄███▄▄
           ▄▄██▀▀ ▄ ▀▀██▄▄
      ▄▄█ ▀▀  ▄▄█████▄▄  ▀▀ █▄▄
  ▄▄██▀▀     ▀▀ █████ ▀▀     ▀▀██▄▄
██▀▀ ▄▄██▀      ▀███▀      ▀██▄▄ ▀▀██
██  ████▄▄       ███       ▄▄████  ██
██  █▀▀████▄▄  ▄█████▄  ▄▄████▀▀█  ██
██  ▀     ▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀     ▀  ██
             ███████████
██  ▄     ▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄     ▄  ██
██  █▄▄████▀▀  ▀█████▀  ▀▀████▄▄█  ██
██  ████▀▀       ███       ▀▀████  ██
██▄▄ ▀▀██▄      ▄███▄      ▄██▀▀ ▄▄██
  ▀▀██▄▄     ▄▄ █████ ▄▄     ▄▄██▀▀
      ▀▀█ ▄▄  ▀▀█████▀▀  ▄▄ █▀▀
           ▀▀██▄▄ ▀ ▄▄██▀▀
               ▀▀███▀▀
        ▄▄███████▄▄
     ▄███████████████▄
    ████▀▀       ▀▀████
   ████▀           ▀████
   ████             ████
   ████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ████
▄█████████████████████████▄
██████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████████
████                   ████
████▄                 ▄████
████████▄▄▄     ▄▄▄████████
  ▀▀▀█████████████████▀▀▀
        ▀▀▀█████▀▀▀
▄▄████████████████████████████████▄▄
██████████████████████████████████████
█████                            █████
█████                     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
█████                   ██          ██
██████████████████▀▀███ ██          ██
 ████████████████▄  ▄██ ██          ██
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██          ██
             ██████████ ██          ██
           ▄███████████ ██████▀▀██████
          █████████████  ▀████▄▄████▀
[/]
mambamanagement

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 04:34:02 PM

hey guys, when are we going to the moon?
ChooseASide

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 05:20:29 PM

So let's make a new prediction: We'll break 0.0043 this year.

I think that understates just how undervalued XMR is, and just how powerful Monero's position is in regards to securing an increasingly invincible marketcap.

A lot of cryptocurrency speculators are still very much naive in respect of Monero's extraordinary backstory, the cryptography, and the demonstrable power of it's industrial community.

But there has been a shift - a tangible sense that we are now in a prime position to occupy a space than can only really be matched by Bitcoin itself. The recent StackExchange victory proves that whatever the size of one's marketcap, it is the power of community, the egalitarian nature of the genesis, and the skill of the underlying codebase which are the real qualities that will carry projects forward without decline.

Resistance at the 0.004-0.005 level may well be inevitable, but the speed and ferocity at which it is finally broken shouldn't be of any objective surprise. Thus, I wouldn't be surprised if we were toying with 0.0160 by years end.

Either way, Monero now only has to double in value for it to be one place behind Dash on the marketcap. Consequently, and in conjunction with a perceived "Monero vs ZCash" conversation that will make Dash increasingly irrelevant, speculative and community leakage will pour massively into the Monero ecosystem and the levees will break.

Without knowing it, suddenly Monero has a marketcap in excess of $100 million.  

Awesome neurolinguistics. Very clever.
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 05:50:17 PM

You missed it.

So let's make a new prediction: We'll break 0.0043 this year.

I think that understates just how undervalued XMR is, and just how powerful Monero's position is in regards to securing an increasingly invincible marketcap.

A lot of cryptocurrency speculators are still very much naive in respect of Monero's extraordinary backstory, the cryptography, and the demonstrable power of it's industrial community.

But there has been a shift - a tangible sense that we are now in a prime position to occupy a space than can only really be matched by Bitcoin itself. The recent StackExchange victory proves that whatever the size of one's marketcap, it is the power of community, the egalitarian nature of the genesis, and the skill of the underlying codebase which are the real qualities that will carry projects forward without decline.

Resistance at the 0.004-0.005 level may well be inevitable, but the speed and ferocity at which it is finally broken shouldn't be of any objective surprise. Thus, I wouldn't be surprised if we were toying with 0.0160 by years end.

Either way, Monero now only has to double in value for it to be one place behind Dash on the marketcap. Consequently, and in conjunction with a perceived "Monero vs ZCash" conversation that will make Dash increasingly irrelevant, speculative and community leakage will pour massively into the Monero ecosystem and the levees will break.

Without knowing it, suddenly Monero has a marketcap in excess of $100 million

Awesome neurolinguistics. Very clever.

Food for thought.

Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1122

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 06:20:47 PM

You missed it.

Maybe he is one of those that thinks that landing was faked.   Remember the flag moving like there was wind on the Moon.

It is interesting to see ZCash gained quite a lot, but BCash and LTC nothing while added to Gemini. Wonder if that is because ZCAsh is less stable ot because it is private focused coin.

.BitDice.               ▄▄███▄▄
           ▄▄██▀▀ ▄ ▀▀██▄▄
      ▄▄█ ▀▀  ▄▄█████▄▄  ▀▀ █▄▄
  ▄▄██▀▀     ▀▀ █████ ▀▀     ▀▀██▄▄
██▀▀ ▄▄██▀      ▀███▀      ▀██▄▄ ▀▀██
██  ████▄▄       ███       ▄▄████  ██
██  █▀▀████▄▄  ▄█████▄  ▄▄████▀▀█  ██
██  ▀     ▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀     ▀  ██
             ███████████
██  ▄     ▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄     ▄  ██
██  █▄▄████▀▀  ▀█████▀  ▀▀████▄▄█  ██
██  ████▀▀       ███       ▀▀████  ██
██▄▄ ▀▀██▄      ▄███▄      ▄██▀▀ ▄▄██
  ▀▀██▄▄     ▄▄ █████ ▄▄     ▄▄██▀▀
      ▀▀█ ▄▄  ▀▀█████▀▀  ▄▄ █▀▀
           ▀▀██▄▄ ▀ ▄▄██▀▀
               ▀▀███▀▀
        ▄▄███████▄▄
     ▄███████████████▄
    ████▀▀       ▀▀████
   ████▀           ▀████
   ████             ████
   ████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ████
▄█████████████████████████▄
██████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████████
████▄                 ▄████
████████▄▄▄     ▄▄▄████████
  ▀▀▀█████████████████▀▀▀
        ▀▀▀█████▀▀▀
▄▄████████████████████████████████▄▄
██████████████████████████████████████
█████                     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
██████████████████▀▀███ ██          ██
 ████████████████▄  ▄██ ██          ██
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██          ██
             ██████████ ██          ██
           ▄███████████ ██████▀▀██████
          █████████████  ▀████▄▄████▀
[/]
JohnYDillinger

Activity: 294
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 07:32:01 PM

Monero is good coin, I want to invest it it, but I still doubting
Big Naturals

Activity: 742
Merit: 267

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 08:24:22 PM

Great article on the crypto mining industry and ASICs

https://blog.sia.tech/the-state-of-cryptocurrency-mining-538004a37f9b
Whtwabbit

Activity: 490
Merit: 266

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 09:56:19 PM

"Bitmain didn’t even get to announce the miners until after Monero announced their hardfork, and still it seems that they sold enough obsolete hardware to customers to make back their costs and turn a hearty profit.seems that they sold enough obsolete hardware to customers to make back their costs and turn a hearty profit."

Seems to me they were secretly mining their own ASICs then when the hardfork announcement came out they put them on the market, then removed their miners from the market and said they were "sold out" so there would be no backlash from ignorant buyers

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 10:20:47 PM

You missed it.

Maybe he is one of those that thinks that landing was faked.   Remember the flag moving like there was wind on the Moon.

It is interesting to see ZCash gained quite a lot, but BCash and LTC nothing while added to Gemini. Wonder if that is because ZCAsh is less stable ot because it is private focused coin.

Or the massive amounts in the Devs hands perhaps?

The strategy of hardforking ASICs off of a network is going to lose potency the more it happens, because chip designers do have the ability to make chips that are flexible, anywhere from slightly flexible to highly flexible, with each piece of flexibility costing only a bit of performance. The Monero devs have committed to keeping the same general structure for the PoW algorithm, and because of that commitment we believe that you could make a Monero miner capable of surviving hard forks with less than a 5x hit to performance.

I believe I have already stated this and added that is could be done with a fpga calling the asic chip as a simplistic example.

johnalan

Activity: 184
Merit: 47

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 10:28:44 AM

Is anyone here bullish in USD terms for this year?

For the first time since 2015 I’ve run out of hopium.

It just looks so bleak. 😔
cryptimus prime

Activity: 493
Merit: 551

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 11:05:56 AM

Is anyone here bullish in USD terms for this year?

For the first time since 2015 I’ve run out of hopium.

It just looks so bleak. 😔

Your capitulation makes me bullish.
Every time when it was way too silent around Monero we peaked suddenly and very high.
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 1062

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 11:16:24 AM

You missed it.

It's the usual pump and dump that happens in all cryptocurrencies being traded in any exchange.  BTC included.  But you prolly already know that by now.

What makes XMR special for me is, its code is not a BTC fork but it somehow follows the same path (or close to it at least) as BTC's general development.

████████▀▀ █▀ █▀ ▀██████████
█████████▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████
██████████▀     ▀  ▀████████
███████▀ ▀  ▄█▀▀▀█▀▀████████
██████▄      █▄  ▀▀  ▀██████
██████         ▄▄█▄ ▄ ▀█████
█████ ▄         ▀▀ ▄ ▀ █████
██████▌          █▀█▀ ▐█████
███████  ▄▌         ▄ ██████
████████▄█         ▄████████
█████████▀     ▄▄ ▄█████████
.JACKMATE'S...........
MAJESTIC..
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
..WIN 1 BITCOIN ON EVERY PREMIER LEAGUE MATCHDAY..
████████████████████████████████
████████████▀█▀ ▀█▀█▀███████████
███████████▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████████
███████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████
█████████▀▄ ██▀▄▄▄ ▀ ▄▀█████████
███████▀ ▀█████▄▄▄█▄▄▄██████████
███████▀▄████████▀  ▀█ █▐███████
███████ ▀█████████▄█▀▀██ ███████
████████ ███▀██████ ▄ ██ ███████
████████▌▐▀▄ ██████████ ▄███████
█████████▄██▌▐█████▀██ █████████
████████████▄▀▀▀▀▀▄ ▀▄██████████
████████████████████████████████
.JOIN US - IT'S FREE! .
Pages: « 1 ... 1861 1862 1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 1875 1876 1877 1878 1879 1880 1881 1882 1883 1884 1885 1886 1887 1888 1889 1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 1897 1898 1899 1900 1901 1902 1903 1904 1905 1906 1907 1908 1909 1910 [1911] 1912 1913 1914 1915 1916 1917 1918 1919 1920 1921 1922 1923 1924 1925 1926 1927 1928 1929 1930 1931 1932 1933 1934 1935 1936 1937 1938 1939 1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 ... 2083 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.