Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:20:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... 129 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Cairnsmore1 - Quad XC6SLX150 Board  (Read 286362 times)
yohan (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 11:09:55 AM

We won't release details of our sources as that can be capitalised on by our competitors and finding these heatsinks took us a lot of research time. We will be offering them in our shop before long. The Enzotech parts are similar but in copper and we will be offering the equivalent of those as well. The copper parts are very heavy and don't offer a massive advantage over the aluminium we are using when air air is blown over them but some people will want them. The copper parts are also prone to mechanical damage as the copper is very soft. The samples we have here arrived with the vanes out of shape and the aluminium is much better in that respect.
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 12:10:32 PM

Hello yohan, I hope I don't come across as too pushy, but I'd like to point out to you a few points as I have done with other merchants in the past in regards to accepting bitcoins as payment.

The main point I'd like to make is that if you use a merchant service provider such as http://bit-pay.com/ , they actually protect you against volatility and insulate you from that risk a few different ways. They allow you to set a price in GBP or USD or whatever currency, and then dynamically update the bitcoin price themselves.
Then, when someone decides to order, they lock in the price for 15 minutes to give the person time to pay, and guarantee you the exchange rate during that time so you won't lose out to fluctuations.

And once the customer has paid, they instantly convert to fiat money and deposit it into your bank account. With bit-pay (not sure about others), they also offer you the option of splitting the payout so you get some fiat and some bitcoins.

I hope this bit of information enables you to look into using a merchant service provider like bit-pay or paysius.com, and end rant thanks for listening.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 12:22:40 PM

Hello yohan, I hope I don't come across as too pushy, but I'd like to point out to you a few points as I have done with other merchants in the past in regards to accepting bitcoins as payment.

The main point I'd like to make is that if you use a merchant service provider such as http://bit-pay.com/ , they actually protect you against volatility and insulate you from that risk a few different ways. They allow you to set a price in GBP or USD or whatever currency, and then dynamically update the bitcoin price themselves.
Then, when someone decides to order, they lock in the price for 15 minutes to give the person time to pay, and guarantee you the exchange rate during that time so you won't lose out to fluctuations.

And once the customer has paid, they instantly convert to fiat money and deposit it into your bank account. With bit-pay (not sure about others), they also offer you the option of splitting the payout so you get some fiat and some bitcoins.

I hope this bit of information enables you to look into using a merchant service provider like bit-pay or paysius.com, and end rant thanks for listening.

How much are you getting paid to advocate bitpay, rjk ? Nice PR action.

TLDR : they act as a proxy - BTC comes in from buyer they ( bitinstant ) get a cut and pass the fiat as GBP to you.

Still risky and depending on their fees you might come ahead with normal fiat and CC and Paypal etc.

Surprised to see some heavy pushing of bitpay here ...
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 12:50:50 PM

TLDR : they act as a proxy - BTC comes in from buyer they ( bitinstant ) get a cut and pass the fiat as GBP to you.

Still risky and depending on their fees you might come ahead with normal fiat and CC and Paypal etc.

I'm not paid anything by them. The fee isn't a "risk", just something to factor into price. I don't like mtgox's half-baked "solution", and I need to do some more research into Paysius. I don't like pushing a single provider either, but there aren't many options available, and they have been around the longest. And they deserve a cut, doing all the work for you and absorbing the fluctuation risk.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
TheHarbinger

Activity: 378

Why is it so damn hot in here?

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 12:53:24 PM
Last edit: May 25, 2012, 06:30:58 PM by Maged

How is it risky?  They convert BTC to fiat at the current market price, with the fluctuation on the BTC side.  $500 my be 100 BTC one day, and 110 BTC the next, but it is still $500.  The fiat price stays the same regardless of the change in BTC value.  The merchant is totally isolated from the "volatility" of the BTC market.  In fact the merchant never even has to deal with BTC at all.

Fees?  Credit Cards and PayPal, and every payment processor charges a fee.  If the fee that is charged is unreasonably large, it gets added to the purchase price and paid by the customer, isolating the merchant from losses due to the fee.

BitPay (or another similar service) is getting pushed because it allows the merchant to receive fiat and allows the customer to pay in BTC.  Merchants like getting paid in fiat.  BitCoin users like paying in BTC.

12Um6jfDE7q6crm1s6tSksMvda8s1hZ3Vj
occulta

Activity: 186
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 01:04:44 PM

What a fucking troll.

I advocate the use of Bit-Pay, maybe they pay me for PR too ?

TheHarbinger is spot on with all his points, the merchant never has to deal with BTC, they set the price and get the price.

GPG KeyID: F5A703CC74E46E5D
yohan (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 01:42:54 PM

We have started to look at this and the services like Bit-pay do look like the way we would go for Bitcoin acceptance but we still need to walk though this properly and slowly. We don't want to run any volume on any new processing system in case there are problems and we would certainly get that if we said that this was available today. It's something we need to take time on and get right. Running the timeline on our build is enough to handle at the moment.

Something that is a little different to people outside of the UK is that we don't usually charge fees for Visa, Mastercard or PayPal processing but do generally limit the size of transacton to about £1500 maximum. It's always been an easy way for our customers to make small purchases like 1 or 2 boards. We run enough business through Paypal that the fee isn't too high to us and it looks nearly comparible to the Bitcoin conversion merchant handlers.

Yohan
steamboat

Activity: 648

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 03:27:01 PM

At the moment we are not taking Bitcoins or margin is too slim to consider anything that we don't fully understand all aspects of and right at the moment we are too busy to do that work. The volatility of exchange rates is also an issue for things being delivered up to 1-2 months. All of our costs are GBP or USD and we have no other option to reduce exchange risk and to use those currencies. Even the euro is becoming a problem although we already margined that. Our margin there is gone in the last week or so and we are watching what happens there. All of these traditional currencies have a big momentum and rarely change quickly which cannot be said about Bicoin.

MtGOX haas been suggested but elsewhere in the forum there are reports of problems and possibly insolvency so that is a big problem for us to go that way until it is clear what is the real situation.

Yohan
k, i'll be your guinea pig.
I will personally guarantee my payment through bit-pay.
i.e. if you receive less than the agreed upon price (minus transaction fees of course) due to exchange rate volatility, I will pay the difference prior to the product being shipped.

ASIC miners available for purchase

Those who serve best, profit most.
gyverlb

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 03:34:31 PM

The problems with integrating bit-pay aren't limited to a risk of not being paid the full amount. There is some effort to be put integrating it (someone must work on the shopping site), there may be local legislation/regulation making things more difficult. If I were a business I'll submit this kind of project to an accountant and if he/she raises some issues maybe a lawyer too.

P2pool tuning guide
Trade BTC for €/$ at bitcoin.de (referral), it's cheaper and faster (acts as escrow and lets the buyers do bank transfers).
Tip: 17bdPfKXXvr7zETKRkPG14dEjfgBt5k2dd
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938

What's a GPU?

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 03:35:11 PM

k, i'll be your guinea pig.
I will personally guarantee my payment through bit-pay.
i.e. if you receive less than the agreed upon price (minus transaction fees of course) due to exchange rate volatility, I will pay the difference prior to the product being shipped.

I would also do this.

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 03:36:08 PM

The problems with integrating bit-pay aren't limited to a risk of not being paid the full amount. There is some effort to be put integrating it (someone must work on the shopping site), there may be local legislation/regulation making things more difficult. If I were a business I'll submit this kind of project to my an accountant and if he/she raises some issues maybe a lawyer too.
Quite so. I understand they are under a bit of pressure to start getting the devices out the door, and I don't want to interrupt that. I was only posting to clear common misconceptions, and would be glad to wait.

gyverlb

Activity: 896

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 03:37:51 PM

The problems with integrating bit-pay aren't limited to a risk of not being paid the full amount.
In fact I don't think there is a risk there (given that there's no chargeback provision in Bitcoin, once you get your GBP and start processing the purchase the risk is entirely assumed by the shopper).

P2pool tuning guide
Trade BTC for €/$ at bitcoin.de (referral), it's cheaper and faster (acts as escrow and lets the buyers do bank transfers).
Tip: 17bdPfKXXvr7zETKRkPG14dEjfgBt5k2dd
yohan (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 03:49:52 PM

Some more to salivate over.
Isokivi

Activity: 910

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2012, 03:57:33 PM

Is that the Arcfic cooling F12 or F14 ?

..Either way a good choice of fan supplier.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 03:58:27 PM

Looks like the airflow is down, is that correct?

Isokivi

Activity: 910

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2012, 04:01:39 PM

Looks like the airflow is down, is that correct?
Yeah, it's down .. took a look at one of my installed F12's to confirm.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
Bitinvestor

Activity: 470

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 04:02:29 PM

The fan can also be removed and used for side blowing if you really want to pack them in and if you really want to keep them cooler use a push pull fan arrangement. In this way you might get down to a 40-50mm stack spacing. With the right r/a bracket, and suitable stack spacing, the fan holes on the PCB can be used to hold on 120mm side fans in a stack.

That's what I would like to do. Can you supply a suitable r/a bracket?

Those who cause problems for others also cause problems for themselves.
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 04:36:42 PM

4 individual heat sinks so each one is perfectly mated to the chip, and one large fan. Very very nice.

Buy & Hold
Gomeler

Activity: 697

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 04:42:59 PM

Looks very good. Will be interesting to see how the heatsinks perform with a push-pull configuration blowing across the boards.
yohan (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 05:58:53 PM
Last edit: May 21, 2012, 08:04:23 PM by yohan

It is a F12 fan and blowing down. When it is stacked that way it will draw air over back of board above. Equally setting a stack heigh of say 40mm would allow reasonable side to side air flow especially if the ends are boxed as well. We are looking for a r/a bracket that will allow the side mount fans for the push pull fan arrangement but that is not high priority at the moment.

The F12 is a very quite fan with good airflow and long life. The way we did the mounts will also allow a heatsink and fan arrangement for the back if you want but that is maybe overkill. (cat fixed)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... 129 »
  Print  

Jump to: