Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:27:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 ... 1348 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMINER: Entering the Future of ASIC Mining by Inventing It  (Read 3916346 times)
bitfair

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 10:44:42 AM

Look. When someone add 6 TH to existing 24 TH, there is 3600+900 earned each day. The adjustment comes no later than after 11.2 days.

A few more points to consider: (1) current network hash rate is closer to 18-20 GH/s than 24 GH/s, (2) the estimate of 12 GH/s was conservative and already considered that 1/3 of the chips won't work - if successful ASICMINERs hashing power could be anywhere between 12 and 18 GH/s, (3) the increase in difficulty due to ASICMINER could cause other miners to give up.

Taking those into consideration, the estimates in the posts above could even be on the conservative side.

However, this also opens up a very real possibility of a single outfit owning >50% of the network hash rate, which could cause a great deal of panic because the "51% attack" is widely misunderstood and feared. That could cause the exchange rate to tank. Would probably be a good idea to share the hashing power between a few different pools and do some self-mining, just to avoid a >50% panic in the beginning...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 12:53:46 PM

Would probably be a good idea to share the hashing power between a few different pools and do some self-mining, just to avoid a >50% panic in the beginning...

What is the purpose of sharing the hashing between pools? As long as the actual farm can be controlled from a central point, how it is balanced shouldn't change much. AFAIK the original idea to even use a public pool was only for transparency. Best measure against an attack would be to divide the farm itself to multiple disconnected locations and actively seek to transfer control to other entities.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 02:15:12 PM

Would probably be a good idea to share the hashing power between a few different pools and do some self-mining, just to avoid a >50% panic in the beginning...

What is the purpose of sharing the hashing between pools? As long as the actual farm can be controlled from a central point, how it is balanced shouldn't change much. AFAIK the original idea to even use a public pool was only for transparency. Best measure against an attack would be to divide the farm itself to multiple disconnected locations and actively seek to transfer control to other entities.

You don't "control" anything as a miner, the pool operator does. You simply contribute the hash power into their hands. They choose what to do with it and how. Therefore yes, if ASICMINER is the first to start, it would be prudent to distribute the power.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
DutchBrat

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 08:50:02 PM
Last edit: December 17, 2012, 11:41:56 PM by DutchBrat

Look. When someone add 6 TH to existing 24 TH, there is 3600+900 earned each day. The adjustment comes no later than after 11.2 days.

A few more points to consider: (1) current network hash rate is closer to 18-20 GH/s than 24 GH/s, (2) the estimate of 12 GH/s was conservative and already considered that 1/3 of the chips won't work - if successful ASICMINERs hashing power could be anywhere between 12 and 18 GH/s, (3) the increase in difficulty due to ASICMINER could cause other miners to give up.

Taking those into consideration, the estimates in the posts above could even be on the conservative side.

However, this also opens up a very real possibility of a single outfit owning >50% of the network hash rate, which could cause a great deal of panic because the "51% attack" is widely misunderstood and feared. That could cause the exchange rate to tank. Would probably be a good idea to share the hashing power between a few different pools and do some self-mining, just to avoid a >50% panic in the beginning...

Again: It would not be in ASICMINERs interest to do a "51% attack". And if no one believes they actually have the best interest at heart then why would you believe BFL. maybe BFL is a secret CIA outfit setup to gain the trust of people to get as many pre-orders as possible, so they can build ASICs and do a 51% attack with the money of people that believe in Bitcoin.... would be the most ironic scam ever.... A majoritiy of miners funding the demise of Bitcoin....

Enough tin foil hat fairy tales for tonight !

ASICMINER is here to serve the interest of their shareholders and doing anything funny that cripples the value of Bitcoin is not one of them!
burger

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 11:10:56 PM

Back on topic for a moment -

Have we made progress on re-listing ASICMINER on another exchange (now that the list has been received from GLBSE)

I'd like to reiterate my vote for    BTCT.CO   https://btct.co/

Another asset of mine (BAKEWELL) has just been reborn there, and I'm pleased with the results.

I believe we'll actually see the share price of ASICMINER jump once trading has resumed. I know I'll be bidding...

I'd like to see it listed on Bitfunder instead.

I vote for BitFunder https://bitfunder.com/!

Digigami

Activity: 462

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 11:13:19 PM

I vote no 3rd party exchange platform.

It was already stated that ASICminer may investigate creating their own dedicated trading platform, and I support that cause.

Let's not give anyone else the opportunity to mess with peoples funds/shares again.
irritant

Activity: 473

Sodium hypochlorite, acetone, ethanol

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 04:30:22 AM

probably a nightmare to make, but would it be possible to give all shareholders the option to mine with their part of hashing power at their favorite pool? with some website/accounts ...  , i dont think this is going to happen but it could be a solution for the people that fear this 51% attack,  (and i dont think they should worry too much)
Deprived

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 04:47:35 AM

Not sure why people are getting in a fuss about possible 51% attack by a pool operator.

If ASICMINER is first to have operational ASICs then there's no need to use a pool at all (other than maybe 1 device for testing purposes).  The function of pools is to give payouts near the average - nothing more.  If ASICMINER is first then it'll get pretty steady mining income anyway as it would be a decent chunk of network power - so zero reason to use a pool.

If, on other hand, ASICMINER is NOT first with ASICs then its ASICs wouldn't be anywhere near enough to do a 51% attack anyway - only thing to avoid would be mining on same pool as another ASIC producer who was privately mining not selling (and don't think there's any of those anyway).

So where's the issue?

On relisting, my preference would be (in order):

1.  BTC.CO (best functionality)
2.  Bitfunder (looks promising to me)
10th Crypto - shockingly bad interface : doesn't even show which orders are yours in market list and most operations seem to take way more clicks than they should.  Already well overtaken in trading volume by BTC.CO and sure Bitfunder will pass it in a matter of weeks.

If possible it would be great if only those people who wanted their shares moved to the platform had them moved - and those who didn't want the risk had theirs manually managed (as would be the case if the share wasn't relisted at all).  I'm NOT in favour of a website where you can only trade ASICMINER - it'd be better than nothing but means extra transfer fees/delays every time I want to buy/sell ASICMINER for something else.
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 05:48:25 AM

You don't "control" anything as a miner, the pool operator does. You simply contribute the hash power into their hands. They choose what to do with it and how. Therefore yes, if ASICMINER is the first to start, it would be prudent to distribute the power.

Nonsense, you control the hash power. You don't need to mine on any pool. Besides, mining on a pool doesn't prove anything and only introduces inefficiencies.

What you have to realize is, the only strength of Bitcoin comes from decentralization of notarization. You put considerable power on one spot, and that strength is gone. Having 40% hash power on a pool is not the same as having 40% on a single physical location, or owned by a single entity. Pools have no control on the hash power. They might have a single shot for an attack in their lifetimes, but if anyone really had 50% physical control, we'de be fucked.

I'm not saying anything bad will happen if we did in fact control a high percent. However we are writing history here, and I wouldn't want the fact that we do, or even can, to make news. It will degrade trust in the network without any ill intentions from our side.
niko

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 06:19:01 AM

Nonsense, you control the hash power. You don't need to mine on any pool. Besides, mining on a pool doesn't prove anything and only introduces inefficiencies.

I was under the impression that people here were discussing whether to distribute ASICMINER hashing power between multiple pools or not. I am not sure I understand your comment, but I am sure you did not understand mine. Also, I am sure mine was not nonsensical.

People are concerned with a single entity controlling >50% hashing power. Personally, this doesn't make my top list of concerns. Anyway, if someone fired up ~20 THash/s tomorrow, they would be able to (with absolute certainty) double-spend their own transactions, and to prevent others' transactions from getting confirmed. If that same someone directed this mining power to a pool, then that pool operator would be able to perform these disruptions. By the same token, if someone contributed 10-15 THash/s to one of few major pools, this may get that pool close or above the 50% of total power, leading to same kinds of problems as above.

Deprived

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 07:35:56 AM

I was under the impression that people here were discussing whether to distribute ASICMINER hashing power between multiple pools or not. I am not sure I understand your comment, but I am sure you did not understand mine. Also, I am sure mine was not nonsensical.

People are concerned with a single entity controlling >50% hashing power. Personally, this doesn't make my top list of concerns. Anyway, if someone fired up ~20 THash/s tomorrow, they would be able to (with absolute certainty) double-spend their own transactions, and to prevent others' transactions from getting confirmed. If that same someone directed this mining power to a pool, then that pool operator would be able to perform these disruptions. By the same token, if someone contributed 10-15 THash/s to one of few major pools, this may get that pool close or above the 50% of total power, leading to same kinds of problems as above.

Thing is, it's an entirely pointless discussion for purely logical reasons.  Let's assume ASICMINER gets its ASICs out first and ends up controlling 50%+ of hasihng power.  Then either:

Friedcat is going to abuse that to double-spend - in which case us talking about whether to use one pool or many is going to achieve precisely zero.

Friedcat is NOT going to abuse that to double-spend - in which case using ANY pool or combination of pools only adds risk and inefficiency.

Nowhere is there ANY scenario in which using one pool or many pools reduces  risk.  It's not like double-spending can be done without anyone noticing - which would need to be the case for using pools at all to make ANY sense whatsoever (as if that were true then there'd be a purpose to it - ensuring that it wasn't being done in secret).

Put a different way, if he's willing to use pools then there's no need for him to do so.  If he's unwilling to use pools then us asking would change nothing.  Either way it's wasted effort : it costs him (and us) money for no benefit and no reduction in risk (in fact a possible increase in risk).
niko

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 08:38:41 AM

Friedcat is going to abuse that to double-spend - in which case us talking about whether to use one pool or many is going to achieve precisely zero.

Friedcat is NOT going to abuse that to double-spend - in which case using ANY pool or combination of pools only adds risk and inefficiency.

Fair enough, I agree. This is logical. The problem is - just look at this forum - there is an irrational, overblown fear of the "51% attack". If ASICMINER starts soloing with a huge chunk of power, or if it contributes to one pool thus making that pool close to or over 50%, all hell will break loose in the forums, then the press will pick up, and next thing you know the public will be irradiated with sensational half-truths, disinformation, and fear mongering. Therefore, it may be a prudent PR move to distribute the power, in a transparent manner, into the hands of several pool operators.

HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 08:45:17 AM

Fair enough, I agree. This is logical. The problem is - just look at this forum - there is an irrational, overblown fear of the "51% attack". If ASICMINER starts soloing with a huge chunk of power, or if it contributes to one pool thus making that pool close to or over 50%, all hell will break loose in the forums, then the press will pick up, and next thing you know the public will be irradiated with sensational half-truths, disinformation, and fear mongering. Therefore, it may be a prudent PR move to distribute the power, in a transparent manner, into the hands of several pool operators.

So you mean we will be able to see very cheap bitcoin again? Should we feel happy about this?

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
DutchBrat

Activity: 868

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 10:36:21 AM

Seeing as most people think they will get an ASIC from BFL soon, I doubt many people will sell off their Bitcoins if ASICMINER temporarily holds >51% of the hashing power.

Would make no sense at all.

And if BFL never produces a working ASIC the shit will hit the fan anyway, the biggest monetary scam in Bitcoin yet.

So, move on people, nothing to see here, have a good day !
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 02:38:03 PM

Seeing as most people think they will get an ASIC from BFL soon, I doubt many people will sell off their Bitcoins if ASICMINER temporarily holds >51% of the hashing power.

Would make no sense at all.

And if BFL never produces a working ASIC the shit will hit the fan anyway, the biggest monetary scam in Bitcoin yet.

So, move on people, nothing to see here, have a good day !
BFL running with all the money would be terrible for their customers, but it might actually be a good thing in a way for Bitcoin. It would be based in the US, would be large enough and tangible enough that I think criminal and civil cases could be successfully pursued. All the other big money scams in Bitcoinland haven't seemed to produce any kind of punishment for the perpetrators.
MPOE-PR

Merit: 522

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 02:47:03 PM

If ASICMINER starts soloing with a huge chunk of power, or if it contributes to one pool thus making that pool close to or over 50%, all hell will break loose in the forums, then the press will pick up, and next thing you know the public will be irradiated with sensational half-truths, disinformation, and fear mongering.

Wait, wait. This will reduce the influx of random idiots finding their way to Bitcoin?

DO IT! DO IT NOW! DO IT WITH FIRE!

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
DiabloD3
Legendary

Activity: 1162

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 06:20:25 PM

If ASICMINER starts soloing with a huge chunk of power, or if it contributes to one pool thus making that pool close to or over 50%, all hell will break loose in the forums, then the press will pick up, and next thing you know the public will be irradiated with sensational half-truths, disinformation, and fear mongering.

Wait, wait. This will reduce the influx of random idiots finding their way to Bitcoin?

FUCK YEAH!

niko

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 08:12:57 PM

FUCK YEAH!

Reading your eloquent responses above, I am starting to feel you may be right in some way. Regardless, I would prefer a  continuing influx of "random idiots" (as you call them), and less yelling and more constructive discussions amongst us who are already here, welcoming them.

jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 09:05:21 PM

bla bla bla.....

is there any relevant information about asicminer lately....  last i heard there would be information in a week.. it has been a week.

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 09:05:36 PM

There already are users that demand that once asics are out the hashing algo should be changed to prevent that these asics are used for attacking the network. So yes, there will be people screaming about the power asicminer gets.

Even when the hashing is split through some pools, the hashingpower in asicminers hands remains the same and could be used for an attack anytime too when stopping to hash into the pools. But the noobs wouldnt cry so hard at least.
Hashing into pools would have another advantage. Asicminer could put at least enough power into each pool so that it is at the top of hashers. That means a username representing a website to buy the asics of asicminer will be a nice, big commercial campaign for cost: zero. And on top... its exactly targetted at the persons that would buy the asics. Miners at the pools. (I once suggested that to friedcat but he didnt want to give me some shares for the idea. Sad ) Anyway... i think its a good idea. The website could show the date when users can buy the asics, maybe even with prebuy. So asicminer could earn some money.

I think it would be good to let asicminer mine solo under 51% and be the top miners in pools to run a zero cost ad campaign. I think that will have the best outcome with the least fear of noobs.

Regarding a price on a new exchange platform. There is no price to be set by friedcat. Only shareholders would be put into exchange with their shares and these shareholders can, only if they want say they will sell for a price of "whatever". The same goes for buyers. They say how much they want. So there is nothing needed like a startingprice. That will be completely build on its own.

Diablo... so Luke-Jr killed Asiminer out of the wiki and gmaxwell is closing the thread and moving it to offtopic? Asicminer is clearly one distributor of Asic-Hardware. If Luke-JR and gmaxwell work against Asicminer that looks fishy. I dont see why they act this way. They drive away potential buyers from Asicminer. Im not sure what to think about this. Especially because all the other companies arent selling anything yet too.
I see asicminer is mentioned in the article at least.

On the other hand i think Asicminer should start to think about how to sell the Asics. There needs to be a website at one time at least. Now the demand should be created. Its not good to let this part of the business lay down until short before selling i think. Others could take away the needed domainnames and so on. Plus you lose time of cheap advertising because potential customers cant find any infos.

Of course mining is way more important. And i hope it will be done as far as it goes because why should asicminer give away the cashcow for cheap.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Pages: « 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 ... 1348 »
  Print  

Jump to: