Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:45:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 ... 446 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do Atheists Hate Religion?  (Read 901256 times)
MakingMoneyHoney

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 07:42:12 PM

Why would anyone fear death?
Since nobody actually knows what happens when we die, it's the unknown I guess.
Actually this is mostly related to major religions. People are afraid of death, do not like to speak/think about it and thus religious have gained many followers. Because of their fear, the idea of being saved makes the calm.

I hope you don't mean all people are afraid of death. It just isn't true. I don't really see a good reason why people should be afraid of death at all.

1) If you're religious, then you should feel fine about it.
2) If you're just spiritual but don't follow a religion, you probably believe in the soul, and aren't afraid of death.
3) If you're atheist, you shouldn't believe anything is after death... and I guess maybe can be afraid of dying because you believe that's all there is, but other than that, I don't see a reason to fear death. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
freeyourmind

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 08:43:52 PM

Christians aren't supposed to believe in reincarnation. I don't.
My child, I'm afraid you haven't been paying attention to Teacher. Once again:

Belief is not a choice. It's a compulsion beyond the realm of choice, based on observation/evidence; in science argument and consensus.

Desirability is not a requisite of the truth. I do not choose what I believe because I perceive it as the more attraction option. I'm compelled to believe what I think is true, whether I like it or not!

The truth does not require your approval. It simply is.

I don't know of any religions that states that suicide is a good thing. It's murder (of oneself), and so it's a sin for Christians.
Religion is how the power elite controlled the peasants for many generations before the Nation State took over that role. Fear is a prison for your mind. This tragic fear of divine retribution would likely prevent you from committing the self-mercy of suicide even if you were enduring days or week of torture.

Not months, though, and certainly not years. Pain is an inexhaustible resource, just like pleasure. Under those circumstances, sooner or later your superstition would break, unable to bear the weight of such suffering. Eventually you'd come to your senses and end it. Deep down you know this to be true.

"My child?" Wow, how pretentious can you get?  You said you're a "psych major."  What are you?  Late teens?  Early 20's?  Bold, bold statements for a student to say...

Equally as pretentious as the man in the church referred to as "father" who is not your father?

I can't speak on Beliathon's behalf, but it looks to me like a joke, that has been taken very seriously Smiley

Another point for Buddhism, the only religion that has a sense of humour Smiley

1) Exclusive from all else, it was exceedingly pretentious.  Have you read the dude's posts?  It wasn't a joke.

2) What man in the church?  Neither the pope (the supposed vicar of Christ) nor Jesus claimed to be the Father.  Do you mean God?  This is just nitpicking.  "Father" in such a context just refers to the thing we came from.  Logical reductionism soundly leads to the necessity of a single "source" of everything.  Given monistic reductionism, do you really take issue with such a metaphorical issue aside from the trivial fact that the "source" doesn't look like your dad or have a penis?

For his 2nd point: He means Priest. You're supposed to call him "father (real name)" when speaking with them. That's also just Catholicism. Yet Christians do refer to strangers even, as brothers and sisters in Christ, because we are all God's children. But that's not a pretentious pronoun....

Thanks.  I didn't think it was that vague, but as MakingMoneyHoney pointed out, I was referring to the priest.

It was pretentious, but I think that is what the joke was Smiley
MakingMoneyHoney

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 08:46:05 PM

Belief is not a choice. It's a compulsion beyond the realm of choice, based on observation/evidence; in science argument and consensus.

Desirability is not a requisite of the truth. I do not choose what I believe because I perceive it as the more attraction option. I'm compelled to believe what I think is true, whether I like it or not!

I don't know of any religions that states that suicide is a good thing. It's murder (of oneself), and so it's a sin for Christians.
Religion is how the power elite controlled the peasants for many generations before the Nation State took over that role. Fear is a prison for your mind. This tragic fear of divine retribution would likely prevent you from committing the self-mercy of suicide even if you were enduring days or week of torture.

Not months, though, and certainly not years. Pain is an inexhaustible resource, just like pleasure. Under those circumstances, sooner or later your superstition would break, unable to bear the weight of such suffering. Eventually you'd come to your senses and end it. Deep down you know this to be true.

"My child?" Wow, how pretentious can you get?  You said you're a "psych major."  What are you?  Late teens?  Early 20's?  Bold, bold statements for a student to say...

Equally as pretentious as the man in the church referred to as "father" who is not your father?

I can't speak on Beliathon's behalf, but it looks to me like a joke, that has been taken very seriously Smiley

1) Exclusive from all else, it was exceedingly pretentious.  Have you read the dude's posts?  It wasn't a joke.

2) What man in the church?  Neither the pope (the supposed vicar of Christ) nor Jesus claimed to be the Father.  Do you mean God?  This is just nitpicking.  "Father" in such a context just refers to the thing we came from.  Logical reductionism soundly leads to the necessity of a single "source" of everything.  Given monistic reductionism, do you really take issue with such a metaphorical issue aside from the trivial fact that the "source" doesn't look like your dad or have a penis?

For his 2nd point: He means Priest. You're supposed to call him "father (real name)" when speaking with them. That's also just Catholicism. Yet Christians do refer to strangers even, as brothers and sisters in Christ, because we are all God's children. But that's not a pretentious pronoun....

Thanks.  I didn't think it was that vague, but as MakingMoneyHoney pointed out, I was referring to the priest.

It was pretentious, but I think that is what the joke was Smiley

Beliathon didn't even remember who he was demeaning, can't put much stock in it.
freeyourmind

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 08:50:26 PM

It isn't Buddhism that has the sense of humor. It's the Buddhists, 'cause they realize what a joke religion is. That's because they haven't encountered the pure sense that Christianity makes.

Smiley

It is Buddhism that allows a sense of humour, whether or not the followers have a sense of humour or not.  So are you saying if a Buddhist encounters Christianity that they would lose their sense of humour? Smiley
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2015, 10:01:56 PM

I hope you don't mean all people are afraid of death. It just isn't true. I don't really see a good reason why people should be afraid of death at all.

2) If you're just spiritual but don't follow a religion, you probably believe in the soul, and aren't afraid of death.
3) If you're atheist, you shouldn't believe anything is after death... and I guess maybe can be afraid of dying because you believe that's all there is, but other than that, I don't see a reason to fear death. 
No, I don't. As stated in the second part of the post (a example) is that the followers of Buddhism are trying to contemplate death in order to relief themselves of possible fear.
I'm saying that some people are religious as a result of being afraid of death before.

As a half spiritual half agnostic person I do not see a reason to be afraid of death. I've talked to a lot of people in my surrounding area and they do not like to talk about death at all.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1367

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 12:46:43 PM

It isn't Buddhism that has the sense of humor. It's the Buddhists, 'cause they realize what a joke religion is. That's because they haven't encountered the pure sense that Christianity makes.

Smiley

It is Buddhism that allows a sense of humour, whether or not the followers have a sense of humour or not.  So are you saying if a Buddhist encounters Christianity that they would lose their sense of humour? Smiley

Are you a Buddhist? If you are, the answer to your question is no on this side, 'cause this Christian is LOL at the thing that you posted.

Cheesy

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 12:53:34 PM

Actually this is mostly related to major religions. People are afraid of death, do not like to speak/think about it and thus religious have gained many followers. Because of their fear, the idea of being saved makes the calm.

People who are living without a lot of pain, who are simply living their life, might not have a mental fear of death. But most people have a natural bodily reaction that includes fear of death.

Your body doesn't have the same logic that your mind does. Your body has life and some automatic reactions against the happening of death. If there is a sudden impending death closing in, the body may react in such a way that it causes the mind to fear death. If people - like soldiers - were in the situation of impending death all the time, the fear of it would become numbed.

Smiley

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 12:56:26 PM

No, I don't. As stated in the second part of the post (a example) is that the followers of Buddhism are trying to contemplate death in order to relief themselves of possible fear.
I'm saying that some people are religious as a result of being afraid of death before.

As a half spiritual half agnostic person I do not see a reason to be afraid of death. I've talked to a lot of people in my surrounding area and they do not like to talk about death at all.

"Deatha" sounds like a cute girl's name.    Cheesy

Gimpeline

Activity: 555
Merit: 507

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 06:12:40 PM

When you die, you die. Worms have a party and end of story. There is no soul.
freeyourmind

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 06:26:12 PM

Are you a Buddhist? If you are, the answer to your question is no on this side, 'cause this Christian is LOL at the thing that you posted.

Cheesy

I'm not Buddhist, but as someone who isn't religious, I do like the philosophy especially for how old it is.

Ok so as a Christian, do you go to church?  And if you do, is it a serious environment or does it allow for humour?
MakingMoneyHoney

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 06:56:13 PM

The post you quoted has nothing to do with whether there is a soul or not. I know there is. My point was that there is no reason to fear death.
dollarneed

Activity: 742

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 07:11:57 PM

Hate is a wasted effort doing nothing to the object of that hate and only degrades the hater.

anyway my friends told (he is an atheis) The reason he hate religion is because he are tired of them forcing their believes to him
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2015, 11:52:17 PM

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Beliathon

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2015, 01:38:18 AM

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Beliathon

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2015, 01:40:33 AM

Beliathon

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2015, 01:55:00 AM
Last edit: August 06, 2015, 12:55:27 PM by Beliathon

Here are some reasons atheists love religion - we get to make fun!  Grin

the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 03:59:00 AM

Cheesy

I'm not Buddhist, but as someone who isn't religious, I do like the philosophy especially for how old it is.

Ok so as a Christian, do you go to church?  And if you do, is it a serious environment or does it allow for humour?

What I find particularly interesting about Buddhism is that its philosophy, formed in the absence of a modern scientific approach to learning, has resulted in some very intuitive assumptions about the physical world that closely mimic the kinds of things we have only recently learned through the pursuit of scientific knowledge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_atomism
ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2015, 12:45:09 PM

The post you quoted has nothing to do with whether there is a soul or not. I know there is. My point was that there is no reason to fear death.

You are right that there is no reason to fear death, however it is literally impossible for humans to not fear death. I'll go so far as to say that there has never been a human who truly did not fear death. Ever. It's not enough to think or say 'I do not fear death'. One who uses will simply cannot be fearless.
Death is a natural part of life, life is nature, death stopped being natural for humans the second they decided they were better than life. Humanity is one, there does not exist a single human that stands separate from humanity.
In layman's terms, you cannot knowingly deal death and not fear death  Wink
MakingMoneyHoney

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 12:54:40 PM

You are right that there is no reason to fear death, however it is literally impossible for humans to not fear death. I'll go so far as to say that there has never been a human who truly did not fear death. Ever. It's not enough to think or say 'I do not fear death'. One who uses will simply cannot be fearless.
Death is a natural part of life, life is nature, death stopped being natural for humans the second they decided they were better than life. Humanity is one, there does not exist a single human that stands separate from humanity.
In layman's terms, you cannot knowingly deal death and not fear death  Wink

I don't agree, seeing as how I don't fear death. I think it's quite easy to see if someone believes in a soul, they might not fear death since the soul doesn't die.

I had been told that if you're going to die in a dream you will wake up before it happens, because if you die in a dream, you die in real life. (Not true, of course) I died in a dream, in a car accident, and then I was a soul watching the wreck, in the middle of the intersection... looking around. Then I woke up.

When people realize they don't ever truly die, just their bodies do, the fear can disappear.
Beliathon

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2015, 12:57:51 PM

I died in a dream, in a car accident, and then I was a soul watching the wreck, in the middle of the intersection... looking around. Then I woke up.

Pages: « 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 ... 446 »
  Print  

Jump to: