Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 10:11:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 [118] 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 ... 496 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage  (Read 1382135 times)
Taek (OP)

Activity: 543
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 03:21:14 PM

I think it would be really nice if you could add the average cost per GB storage on the front page.

We're working on a new explorer that is a bit nicer. You can see it at https://explorestaging.sia.tech

We've moved all of our urls over to sia.tech:

https://sia.tech
https://blog.sia.tech
https://explore.sia.tech
https://forum.sia.tech
https://slackin.sia.tech

we did have some trouble over the past 24 hours where we accidentally broke all versions of the 0.4.x UI due to a longstanding latent bug. All old versions are working again, and the next version (0.4.5) will have a patch that removes this bug from the client entirely. Sorry for the downtime.

We do have a new forum now, we are planning on moving most of the conversation there - will be easier than trying to do everything from one thread. Please come check it out - https://forum.sia.tech

===

Crypti is currently doing a contest:

For the next 8 weeks, the Crypti Foundation is holding a dapps hackathon contest, where they are asking Node.js/JavaScript developers to submit their own Crypti based dapps.Donations to the contest's price fund are flowing in quite nicely, now valued at over $4000 in Crypti (XCR).So, anyone looking for a challenge and possibly some nice price money. Please head on over to their new chat group at: https://crypti.chat and give them a shout. They have some quality documentation, tutorials and example dapps all ready and prepared.For more information please check here: https://blog.crypti.me/dapp-contest-create-your-own-decentralized-application-and-win-up-to-300000-xcr/

would be interesting to see someone create a Sia-related dapp for crypti.
MinermanNC
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 10:12:03 PM

New explorer looks great and it ties in with the new Sia look and theme. So great to see all of the new enhancements on all fronts.

Thanks for posting all of the .tech links

Keep at the great work, very impressive  Cool Little by little the stage is being set for Sia....

*BTC: 1DiR25SPo84sThzTATr27EZEQZLt6hv6tG
andyatcrux
Legendary

Activity: 938

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 11:15:54 PM

I know I'm always a little late with things sometimes, but have you guys checked out the new home page with new logo and look, and looked through the pages?

Wow I am really impressed! lol Looking pretty spiffy and commercial now. Nice Job Taek and devs! I feel like we are entering the mainstream now  Wink

Luv it!

http://sia.tech/

Exciting  Shocked

you are absolutely right ...
very nice ...

#crysx

I was reading up on granite coin a few days ago and almost mined it for a bit... but got sidetracked at the last minute with a new coin launch with "GPU's" so,,, still mining that a bit longer, then I may jump in the Granite pool for a bit.

I get bored and want to GPU mine occasionally and collect some coins  Wink

I have already mined my fair share of Sia at launch,,, was one of the fortunate ones to snag enough to keep me involved lol But I have really got into this Sia concept,,, everything about it. And the way its being serviced with its own coin. The free market will set the price standard based on the Sia product and reliability. Its is cutting edge and is powered by crypto that's the best part!

Smiley

I can't resist the urge to post a +1 on this. Great work.
tricass

Activity: 394
Merit: 250

Crypto enthusiast

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 04:47:06 AM

I think it would be really nice if you could add the average cost per GB storage on the front page.

We're working on a new explorer that is a bit nicer. You can see it at https://explorestaging.sia.tech

We've moved all of our urls over to sia.tech:

https://sia.tech
https://blog.sia.tech
https://explore.sia.tech
https://forum.sia.tech
https://slackin.sia.tech

we did have some trouble over the past 24 hours where we accidentally broke all versions of the 0.4.x UI due to a longstanding latent bug. All old versions are working again, and the next version (0.4.5) will have a patch that removes this bug from the client entirely. Sorry for the downtime.

We do have a new forum now, we are planning on moving most of the conversation there - will be easier than trying to do everything from one thread. Please come check it out - https://forum.sia.tech

===

Crypti is currently doing a contest:

For the next 8 weeks, the Crypti Foundation is holding a dapps hackathon contest, where they are asking Node.js/JavaScript developers to submit their own Crypti based dapps.Donations to the contest's price fund are flowing in quite nicely, now valued at over $4000 in Crypti (XCR).So, anyone looking for a challenge and possibly some nice price money. Please head on over to their new chat group at: https://crypti.chat and give them a shout. They have some quality documentation, tutorials and example dapps all ready and prepared.For more information please check here: https://blog.crypti.me/dapp-contest-create-your-own-decentralized-application-and-win-up-to-300000-xcr/

would be interesting to see someone create a Sia-related dapp for crypti.

whilst the new explorer looks great it's lost too much information for my liking like network hash rate and difficulty. can you bring this information back?

MinermanNC
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 01:08:53 AM

looks like Sunfish is down? New address maybe? lol

Was going to share some files  Smiley

Merick

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 02:30:30 AM

I'm uploading my first file to the SiaNet ( I guess that's what you could call it).  The file is .7z file 725MB in size.  So far I am at roughly 10 minutes and it is about 12% finished.

Is there any specific CPU type that can handle the erasure encoding better?  I don't see Sia using anymore than 10-20% of my CPU and the drive IO doesn't appear to be maxed out.  Mainly I'm just curious about what could be taking it so long.

I'm not complaining, just making some observations.  I'm sure upload rates will improve as we move forward.  Or maybe its just my old Pentium E5800 (Kubuntu 14.04)

Taek (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 04:20:17 AM

looks like Sunfish is down? New address maybe? lol

Was going to share some files  Smiley

siafiles.com - it's working for me

I'm uploading my first file to the SiaNet ( I guess that's what you could call it).  The file is .7z file 725MB in size.  So far I am at roughly 10 minutes and it is about 12% finished.

Is there any specific CPU type that can handle the erasure encoding better?  I don't see Sia using anymore than 10-20% of my CPU and the drive IO doesn't appear to be maxed out.  Mainly I'm just curious about what could be taking it so long.

I'm not complaining, just making some observations.  I'm sure upload rates will improve as we move forward.  Or maybe its just my old Pentium E5800 (Kubuntu 14.04)

It's mostly a network bottleneck. The erasure coding library is very fast, especially on 64bit systems. Uploading on the other hand... Sia currently uses 5x redundancy, which means you're uploading 3.6GB, something that will take several hours on most home connections.
MinermanNC
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 04:47:02 AM

Hey I'm good now. My Sunfish shortcut was to staging lol

THX  Smiley

Merick

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 10:24:09 AM

It's mostly a network bottleneck. The erasure coding library is very fast, especially on 64bit systems. Uploading on the other hand... Sia currently uses 5x redundancy, which means you're uploading 3.6GB, something that will take several hours on most home connections.

Makes sense now, thank you.

I just assumed that the redundancy was done by the network, not all from the source location.

X = transferred amount per participant
SOURCE                    -->       1      (X)
SOURCE, 1                -->       2      (0.5X)
SOURCE, 1, 2            -->        3     (0.3X)
SOURCE, 1, 2, 3        -->        4      (0.25X)
SOURCE, 1, 2, 3, 4    -->        5      (0.2x)

Is it possible to use multi location uploads, just like the downloads are done from multiple locations to improve download rate?  A shared upload would speed up the process for everyone involved, and reduce the uploaded by the host.

A few more questions & Comments UI vs 0.4.4

• When I uploaded this file I was never presented with an option to choose how much I wanted to pay, or for how long, is that normal?
  • Were can I find the .sia file to share.  The share button gives me the ASCII file information, but not the .sia file.
  • Having the contract cost listed next to the file in the files tab could be useful.  Right now I had to go into transactions and add up the 10 payments that I assume are part of the contract deal.
  • Under the Files Tab it says 1458 S/GB (estimated), but under the Hosting tab is says the competitive price is 21.05 S/GB per month. Thats a pretty large estimate window on how much it could cost to store files.

Keep up the good work

Taek (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 04:36:46 PM

Makes sense now, thank you.

I just assumed that the redundancy was done by the network, not all from the source location.

X = transferred amount per participant
SOURCE                    -->       1      (X)
SOURCE, 1                -->       2      (0.5X)
SOURCE, 1, 2            -->        3     (0.3X)
SOURCE, 1, 2, 3        -->        4      (0.25X)
SOURCE, 1, 2, 3, 4    -->        5      (0.2x)

Is it possible to use multi location uploads, just like the downloads are done from multiple locations to improve download rate?  A shared upload would speed up the process for everyone involved, and reduce the uploaded by the host.

A few more questions & Comments UI vs 0.4.4

• When I uploaded this file I was never presented with an option to choose how much I wanted to pay, or for how long, is that normal?
  • Were can I find the .sia file to share.  The share button gives me the ASCII file information, but not the .sia file.
  • Having the contract cost listed next to the file in the files tab could be useful.  Right now I had to go into transactions and add up the 10 payments that I assume are part of the contract deal.
  • Under the Files Tab it says 1458 S/GB (estimated), but under the Hosting tab is says the competitive price is 21.05 S/GB per month. Thats a pretty large estimate window on how much it could cost to store files.

Keep up the good work

It is possible to do uploads in parallel, but most of the time you home connection is the bottleneck anyway - parallel uploads wouldn't help at all. For downloads, your home connection is typically faster than the host connection (because they are uploading, and that's the slow part), so parallel downloads improve speed substantially.

For uploading files, we will be adding a feature soon that will allow you to set a maximum price. Other than setting a maximum price, you have no control over how much you are spending. The client will automatically pick the cheapest and most reliable hosts (the api will eventually support a wide range of customization, including manual host selection)

You can't currently get the .sia file from the GUI, only from the command line tools. I believe it's 'siac renter share [nickname] [filepath]', use the '-h' flag to verify.

For hosting you need to multiply  by 5 because there's 5 redundancy. But yeah, not sure why it's 14x on top of that. The price estimation algorithms are unstable because the hosts all have dramatically different prices. (some are 1SC/GB/Mo, some are 99SC/GB/Mo). The most expensive hosts are ignored, but there are few enough cheap hosts that some expensive hosts still remain.

We will consider adding some way to view how much money has been spent on a file, but I don't think we'll be adding that feature this month. (maybe next month - there's just too much to do right now)
Taek (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 08:32:49 PM

I'm a bit out of the loop. What are you currently working on?

+ fix a bug in our database library
+ get startup time below 20 seconds
+ build a testing framework for the UI
+ get correct values coming from the block explorer
+ get the new block explorer feature-complete

Those are the ones at the top of the list. We're also transitioning to a marketing effort, but I want the block explorer looking a little better before we move forward.
MinermanNC
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 10:58:54 PM

Silly question, but has anyone else's file uploads vanished in wallet? Yes it is unlocked. Everything else seems in order. Coin balance , hosting, earnings, block etc. But my uploaded files are not there. I had seen this before with another version it seems. This 4.4

THX  Smiley

Taek (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 11:29:29 PM

Silly question, but has anyone else's file uploads vanished in wallet? Yes it is unlocked. Everything else seems in order. Coin balance , hosting, earnings, block etc. But my uploaded files are not there. I had seen this before with another version it seems. This 4.4

THX  Smiley

Are you sure that you are running 0.4.4? Sometimes when people upgrade they never kill the previous daemon. `siac stop` can help you reset.
fartbags
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 11:55:48 PM

Does this coin split up the file & encrypt each piece with my private key? Does it then geographically re-distribute the file pieces to where they are most often requested from?

MinermanNC
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 12:41:30 AM
Last edit: October 23, 2015, 12:58:50 AM by MinermanNC

THX  Smiley

Are you sure that you are running 0.4.4? Sometimes when people upgrade they never kill the previous daemon. `siac stop` can help you reset.
Hey Taek, yes I did check and have been always looking to make sure "siad" process was stopped after locking and closing down. Well I have closed it down without locking wallet as well to see if it made any differences.

Also, about: shows 4.4 both places, and my coins address are correct.  And prior to upgrading from 4.3 I deleted the UI in apps data, and created a new directory entirely fresh.

Ok, just a little puzzled.

I am showing the same 11 contracts as I did last night before shutting Sia down.

"11 Contracts 56.56 MB/10 GB in use 2.29 S to be earned 0.00 S earned"  Like I mentioned everything else seems in place.

I will upload some more personal files and try to see how or where they are going too lol  Wink

EDIT: Just now uploading an mp3 (that I had uploaded last night) and its deducting a storage fee and did not tell me that file already exist as I think I have seen that message before if duplicating an upload.

Pending: -2.61 S  Lock Wallet   (that's my fee for the mp3 upload) PS: My contracts now show 12 after this upload....

EDIT: Just finished uploading mp3. Closed wallet... siad was stopped. Reopened wallet and the newly uploaded mp3 is not showing in my files  Huh lol Yes all else is good 12 contracts etc. AND I just raised my price and it "announced successfully" so I know I'm connected to network. idk, will reboot pc.. but have seen this before in other versions at least on this pc.

MinermanNC
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 02:04:10 AM

Ya rebooted pc and everything and still whenever I close out Sia and siad is stopped. When I reopen Sia 4.4 any files I uploaded vanish?

Loading up 4.6 right now. see if it does different.

MinermanNC
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 03:47:38 AM

Also, I am getting this error message each time I upload a file?

I closed Sia after they were done processing. ,, siad was stopped. Reopen Sia a few minutes later and here is what I see?

Should I not be seeing my files there? maybe I missed something  Wink

ok, Sorry for the jumbo images...its late lol  Grin
This is V 4.6

sjsqd

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 05:43:33 AM

Seeing as the price per GB is about 3 US cents (or whatever amount of Bitcoin if that's the way you work)

Wouldn't it be great for Siacoin to have some form of Dropbox-esque solution for users?

I'd happily pay $10-20 USD a month just to have my primo-files safe via crypto and backed up for my convenience.

I use dropbox for work and would love to have a solution that I can trust to keep my personal files (i.e. doctors reports, passport scans, two-factor authentication backups, fingerprint scans, DNA scans, password backups etc) online and secure.

Although I'd love to have my online presence backed up via USB or similar, the online world is too fast moving for a USB stick or hardcopy to work. The invention of the internet demands a far more instantaneous response.

I trust cryptography to keep my files safe, but haven't found a provider who can keep this promise without the threat of being brought down by lawsuits from idiotic copyright dipshits.

Perhaps this is an avenue which should be explored by the Siacoin team. I'm not asking for 10000000GB. I'm asking for 1GB (at maximum) to keep my personal files safe in a 'locker' which can be updated at will.

I'm willing to pay the price for convenience even if it comes out as being more than what the regular price is.

Call it a "Personal Secure Vault" and you'll have me as your first customer. Make it easy enough for anyone without technical knowledge to access and you'll have many more users of this service.

Although I am sure that this software is developed towards commercial means, it shouldn't come as a surprise that there is a gap in availability towards consumer grade solutions. I'd be most happy if this was addressed via siacoin.
DreamSpace

Activity: 556
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 06:03:30 AM

i wanted to import a legacy wallet from version 3.3 without a password, but when i import it, the sia ui client wants a password ( i tried it with version 4.2).
how can i solve this?
and what must be done before the hard fork, is it at block 21000 ?
souljah1h
Legendary

Activity: 1092

Hyperspace snail

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2015, 07:42:47 AM

Seeing as the price per GB is about 3 US cents (or whatever amount of Bitcoin if that's the way you work)

Wouldn't it be great for Siacoin to have some form of Dropbox-esque solution for users?

I'd happily pay $10-20 USD a month just to have my primo-files safe via crypto and backed up for my convenience.

I use dropbox for work and would love to have a solution that I can trust to keep my personal files (i.e. doctors reports, passport scans, two-factor authentication backups, fingerprint scans, DNA scans, password backups etc) online and secure.

Although I'd love to have my online presence backed up via USB or similar, the online world is too fast moving for a USB stick or hardcopy to work. The invention of the internet demands a far more instantaneous response.

I trust cryptography to keep my files safe, but haven't found a provider who can keep this promise without the threat of being brought down by lawsuits from idiotic copyright dipshits.

Perhaps this is an avenue which should be explored by the Siacoin team. I'm not asking for 10000000GB. I'm asking for 1GB (at maximum) to keep my personal files safe in a 'locker' which can be updated at will.

I'm willing to pay the price for convenience even if it comes out as being more than what the regular price is.

Call it a "Personal Secure Vault" and you'll have me as your first customer. Make it easy enough for anyone without technical knowledge to access and you'll have many more users of this service.

Although I am sure that this software is developed towards commercial means, it shouldn't come as a surprise that there is a gap in availability towards consumer grade solutions. I'd be most happy if this was addressed via siacoin.

This would be fantastic indeed.
Yes thinking the same!

_@/'
Pages: « 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 [118] 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 ... 496 »
  Print  

Jump to: