Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:43:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 [112] 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GekkoScience Compac BM1384 Stickminer Official Support Thread  (Read 267689 times)
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 04:59:38 PM

The ceiling on my 49-port hub is about 280GH, so however many sticks at whatever frequency to do that.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Percivul

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 05:32:39 PM

The ceiling on my 49-port hub is about 280GH, so however many sticks at whatever frequency to do that.

As I said, I've run the gambit from 150-300 and if there's more than 4 sticks, it doesn't matter what the clock rate is set at. They simply fail.

Do you think it might be an Anker thing?  Maybe since it's coming from a USB 3 hub??
gt_addict

Activity: 2492
Merit: 621

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 05:51:13 PM

I'd change the hub to be honest. I use a d-link h7 hub which works fine for my two gekkos (yes I know you have an issue with more than three at a time). Get a cheap powered one and see how you get on.

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

Donations/Tips to:-   1GTADDicTXD1uachKKgW24DZDxDGhSMdRa

Join Bitconnect: https://bitconnect.co/?ref=gtaddict
aarons6
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 06:29:05 PM

Ok, so a little more testing and I think I may have found a weak point with the USB mining.  Seems if you string more than 3 in series on an Anker hub, they'll all start resetting and this is regardless of the speed you run them at.

In my case, if I have just 3 of them on the hub, I can push 315-317 frequency and they'll hum along nicely.  Add a 4th one and they'll start dropping all over the place.  I'm assuming this has something to do with the bandwidth of the bus architecture itself as I can't see another reason for it.  I've checked power, it's not that.  I've lowered clocks down to factory or even lower (90-150) and it's the same results.

Do the Gekko chips not have any kind of memory caching built in?  I realize that it might be bit extreme for a USB miner, but it never hurts to find out.  I imagine if these chips has some sort of memory management, they wouldn't need to poll the USB port so much and you could probably fill a hub up and run like crazy, but I'm not an expert in this area.

SO, am I just configuring them wrong or is this more or less the ceiling for the Gekko sticks (2-3 per hub)?

i have 5 on this hub

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Anker-SuperSpeed-Including-Charging/dp/B005NGQWL2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1471631131&sr=8-2&keywords=anker+7+port+usb+3.0+hub+60w

they wont go past 225 tho.. because its limited to 900ma.. the ports switch off if you draw more amps. its about 62 ghs.
i was thinking about making usb bridges for it and seeing if i cant use 2 ports per usb miner..

not sure what anker hub you have?

Percivul

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 06:47:51 PM

Ok, so a little more testing and I think I may have found a weak point with the USB mining.  Seems if you string more than 3 in series on an Anker hub, they'll all start resetting and this is regardless of the speed you run them at.

In my case, if I have just 3 of them on the hub, I can push 315-317 frequency and they'll hum along nicely.  Add a 4th one and they'll start dropping all over the place.  I'm assuming this has something to do with the bandwidth of the bus architecture itself as I can't see another reason for it.  I've checked power, it's not that.  I've lowered clocks down to factory or even lower (90-150) and it's the same results.

Do the Gekko chips not have any kind of memory caching built in?  I realize that it might be bit extreme for a USB miner, but it never hurts to find out.  I imagine if these chips has some sort of memory management, they wouldn't need to poll the USB port so much and you could probably fill a hub up and run like crazy, but I'm not an expert in this area.

SO, am I just configuring them wrong or is this more or less the ceiling for the Gekko sticks (2-3 per hub)?

i have 5 on this hub

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Anker-SuperSpeed-Including-Charging/dp/B005NGQWL2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1471631131&sr=8-2&keywords=anker+7+port+usb+3.0+hub+60w

they wont go past 225 tho.. because its limited to 900ma.. the ports switch off if you draw more amps. its about 62 ghs.
i was thinking about making usb bridges for it and seeing if i cant use 2 ports per usb miner..

I have 2 of the following:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NGQWL2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Something else that makes me think it could be a memory bandwidth issue is that if I put 3 sticks on one hub and 2 on the other, connect both hubs to the usb interfaces on the PC, I'll get the same results.  Not really sure what the deal is with this.  I know the hubs can supply upwards of 1.5-1.6 amps per port (so long as you don't go over 5A total, you should be fine) but even adjusting the sticks to fit well underneath the cap, I get the same results.
antalvdb

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 06:54:45 PM

Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it in a few times while cgminer is running? The gekko version of cgminer allows for hotplugging of devices.

Tried this a number of times. Cgminer hotplugs the miner; it detects it in all different USB ports, but the miner itself is not reset and does not restart ("fails to respond to restart"). White led continues to be on all the time.
gt_addict

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 07:54:39 PM

Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it in a few times while cgminer is running? The gekko version of cgminer allows for hotplugging of devices.

Tried this a number of times. Cgminer hotplugs the miner; it detects it in all different USB ports, but the miner itself is not reset and does not restart ("fails to respond to restart"). White led continues to be on all the time.

In that case I would refer back to the place you bought it (if new). If not then Sidehack or Novak MIGHT be able to help if you ask nicely  Wink But it is totally at their discretion.

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

aarons6
Legendary

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 08:47:48 PM

i have 5 on this hub

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NGQWL2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Something else that makes me think it could be a memory bandwidth issue is that if I put 3 sticks on one hub and 2 on the other, connect both hubs to the usb interfaces on the PC, I'll get the same results.  Not really sure what the deal is with this.  I know the hubs can supply upwards of 1.5-1.6 amps per port (so long as you don't go over 5A total, you should be fine) but even adjusting the sticks to fit well underneath the cap, I get the same results.

that hub you linked is the same hub i have, and this hub can NOT supply 1.5-1.6a per port.. only the charging port can do more then .9a.
the other 9 shut off (the blue light will blink) if you hit it with too many apms..

Percivul

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 10:51:00 PM

i have 5 on this hub

Something else that makes me think it could be a memory bandwidth issue is that if I put 3 sticks on one hub and 2 on the other, connect both hubs to the usb interfaces on the PC, I'll get the same results.  Not really sure what the deal is with this.  I know the hubs can supply upwards of 1.5-1.6 amps per port (so long as you don't go over 5A total, you should be fine) but even adjusting the sticks to fit well underneath the cap, I get the same results.

that hub you linked is the same hub i have, and this hub can NOT supply 1.5-1.6a per port.. only the charging port can do more then .9a.
the other 9 shut off (the blue light will blink) if you hit it with too many apms..

Well, that's what is so odd.  They ARE running 1.66A per stick on that hub.  I'm currently running all 3 of them at around 305 clock speed and they're fine.  If I add a 4th, it makes no difference what speed I run them at, they'll all keep resetting.
aarons6
Legendary

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 11:33:14 PM

i have 5 on this hub

Well, that's what is so odd.  They ARE running 1.66A per stick on that hub.  I'm currently running all 3 of them at around 305 clock speed and they're fine.  If I add a 4th, it makes no difference what speed I run them at, they'll all keep resetting.
maybe ill try 3 and see if i can get them to run more then 250..

it might be the power is at its cap. if you are running 1.66a per stick and running 3, thats 5a. and im running 5 at .9a which is the same?

Percivul

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 11:38:28 PM

i have 5 on this hub

it might be the power is at its cap. if you are running 1.66a per stick and running 3, thats 5a. and im running 5 at .9a which is the same?

Yes, that's roughly the same Amperage but again, I can lower each stick to around .5 amps and if I stick on more than 3, they all die.  This is why I said originally that I was curious if it might be a memory caching issue or a USB bandwidth issue.
aarons6
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 12:17:19 AM

i have 5 on this hub

Well, that's what is so odd.  They ARE running 1.66A per stick on that hub.  I'm currently running all 3 of them at around 305 clock speed and they're fine.  If I add a 4th, it makes no difference what speed I run them at, they'll all keep resetting.

Yes, that's roughly the same Amperage but again, I can lower each stick to around .5 amps and if I stick on more than 3, they all die.  This is why I said originally that I was curious if it might be a memory caching issue or a USB bandwidth issue.

i doubt it. i believe sidehack gave the numbers a few pages back but i think it would take many of these.. ( more then 100?) to saturate the 480mbps of usb.

one thing to not, my usb hub is plugged into a usb 2.0 port not a 3.0 port.
Percivul

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 12:50:53 AM

i have 5 on this hub

Well, that's what is so odd.  They ARE running 1.66A per stick on that hub.  I'm currently running all 3 of them at around 305 clock speed and they're fine.  If I add a 4th, it makes no difference what speed I run them at, they'll all keep resetting.

Yes, that's roughly the same Amperage but again, I can lower each stick to around .5 amps and if I stick on more than 3, they all die.  This is why I said originally that I was curious if it might be a memory caching issue or a USB bandwidth issue.

i doubt it. i believe sidehack gave the numbers a few pages back but i think it would take many of these.. ( more then 100?) to saturate the 480mbps of usb.

one thing to not, my usb hub is plugged into a usb 2.0 port not a 3.0 port.

So is mine, oddly.  When I tried a USB 3 port, it made no difference but I think that would be the case regardless as the sticks themselves are only capable of USB 2.
impact79

Activity: 3

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 08:17:51 AM

Hello,
i am a noob in mining cryptocurrencies and used my compac bm1384 to grind some Gridcoins on Bitcoin Utopia. Sadly, Bitcoin Utopia has been voted out of the whitelist so that this doesn´t work any more. Now i am searching for an alternative currency to mine on the compac bm1384. Mining Bitcoins with it is a loosing deal, because of the power costs (at least where i am).

So what is your recommendation ? What currency is best to grind with the Compac ?

Regards,
impact79
Percivul

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 01:24:06 PM

Hello,
i am a noob in mining cryptocurrencies and used my compac bm1384 to grind some Gridcoins on Bitcoin Utopia. Sadly, Bitcoin Utopia has been voted out of the whitelist so that this doesn´t work any more. Now i am searching for an alternative currency to mine on the compac bm1384. Mining Bitcoins with it is a loosing deal, because of the power costs (at least where i am).

So what is your recommendation ? What currency is best to grind with the Compac ?

Regards,
impact79

The best thing you can do when it comes to alt coin mining is to do a great deal of research.  I'm not saying this to pass you off or ignore your question, but the reality is that no one here knows specifically what you have, your power costs, your time allotted to mining, your control setup, etc...  See what I mean?  There's tons of variables just in a single stick mining setup that would have to be accounted for.

Now, as for the ASIC's themselves, they'll mine anything that supports SHA256 but sadly, most coins that use that algo are either going to be tough to mine or so cheap on the return that you won't get much of anything for them.

Here's what I would suggest to you though.  Do you have a GPU you can spare?  Have you heard of ZPool and Miner Control?  Do you get excited when it comes to editing conf files?  If you answered yes to most of this, then alt algo mining is most likely the answer for you.

In the interest of trying to be helpful though, if you tell me about your setup, I may be able to help but I make no guarantees.

Here's what I need to know:

What's your power cost per kilowatt hour?
What are you running your stick(s) on and how many are you using?
What are their frequencies?
What software are you using to drive them?
How much time during the day do you spare for mining?

This should at least give us a good grounding and we can go from there.
broopanda

Activity: 11

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 05:14:32 AM

Hello,
I just got my first GekkoScience USB miner. I'm trying to run it on a windows machine but I cannot figure out how to install the Zadig driver for cgminer. The only version that I was able to run on my PC is zadig_xp_v2.0.1.161.exe. Can someone please help and give me a few steps? Thanks in advance.
gt_addict

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 05:17:30 AM

Hello,
I just got my first GekkoScience USB miner. I'm trying to run it on a windows machine but I cannot figure out how to install the Zadig driver for cgminer. The only version that I was able to run on my PC is zadig_xp_v2.0.1.161.exe. Can someone please help and give me a few steps? Thanks in advance.

Find out what version of Windows you are running then use the correct one. There is plenty of info in this thread and most of it on the front page. Also Google and YouTube have a vast array of knowledge (that's where I learnt about zadig)  Wink

broopanda

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 03:36:32 PM

Hello,

Find out what version of Windows you are running then use the correct one. There is plenty of info in this thread and most of it on the front page. Also Google and YouTube have a vast array of knowledge (that's where I learnt about zadig)  Wink

I'm running windows 10 and neither Zadig driver either recognizes a devices or runs on my system. Is there another version that works specifically with windows 10?
Zekeman

Activity: 23

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 03:03:12 AM

Hello,

I'm running windows 10 and neither Zadig driver either recognizes a devices or runs on my system. Is there another version that works specifically with windows 10?

Did you go into options on the top and "list all devices" and see if compac is in there.. select in the install driver.. worked for me...
broopanda

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 06:29:47 AM

Hello,

Find out what version of Windows you are running then use the correct one. There is plenty of info in this thread and most of it on the front page. Also Google and YouTube have a vast array of knowledge (that's where I learnt about zadig)  Wink

Did you go into options on the top and "list all devices" and see if compac is in there.. select in the install driver.. worked for me...

Okay! That actually worked. However, I ran into a new problem. The driver being displayed is the Silabser (v6.7.0.0) because I'm also currently running MoonLander USB scrypt miners. When I go and install the Win USB driver it tells me that it want's to replace the silabser driver. So I ask it to 'Install WCID Driver' Instead of 'Replace Driver' I get an error saying 'Driver installation failed (Other error)'.

1. Will windows allow me to run two separate drivers? If so how can I install the Zadig Driver specifically for the Gekko?
2. The other error I get when I try to run CGMiner is that I'm missing the zlib1.dll. I'm asking to confirm that this is tied to the Zadig driver yes? Could I run the Gekko from a mac OS? As I may not be able to run these two types of devices from the same PC.
3. I also tried extracting the files to a folder and running the installer_x64.exe file located in the root folder. Something seems to have happened but I still can't get CGminer to find the zlib1.dll file. What could I be missing here?

See image: http://content.screencast.com/users/Bruno-Steppuhn/folders/Jing/media/f937cca3-f728-4cd7-ad2d-3e27c5f4f25a/gekko%20install.png
Pages: « 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 [112] 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 »
  Print  

Jump to: