Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 09:38:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... 265 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ESHOP launched] Trezor: Bitcoin hardware wallet  (Read 965806 times)
bitcats
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 10:33:31 AM

Price should be around € 100, but it still depends on many factors, what I read on a blog.
Ouch, that seems a little expensive. I mean, can't you buy old smartphones with that amount? Or perhaps second-hand netbooks that you could format and turn into an offline wallet.
100 € is definitely NOT expensive!

"Unser Problem ist nicht ziviler Ungehorsam, unser Problem ist ziviler Gehorsam."  - Howard Zinn
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 12:31:14 PM

Smartphones can achieve their absurdly low prices because they are mass produced and it's a highly competitive market. Obviously something that is hand assembled by stick and slush is going to be more expensive. Fortunately, if the initial runs are proven out and demand is there, doing a larger production run in China is well within the reach of even small operations and then the price can come down. 100 euros for a first run is actually better than I was expecting, though I noticed stick/slush didn't confirm that price.

However, yes, the basic point does hold and I made it many times in the past - it is tough to beat smartphones on price and features, so I think we'll see them be used as second factors quite a lot.

A dedicated hardware wallet/secure display has the advantage of not being reflashable to a malicious OS build which steals private keys. I don't know of any way to buy a smartphone, reflash the OS and then prevent it from being reflashed again. Theoretically manufacturers could offer that feature but in practice they don't because there are no uses for it.

The other advantage is that because they don't run apps and are very limited, there's no temptation for users to install random crap on them. The most likely way to get keys held in a smartphone stolen is by giving into temptation and making it not a dedicated device anymore, then installing a malicious app that roots it. That can't happen with a Trezor.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 12:31:41 PM

Just curious on the progress with Trezor.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
stick

Activity: 441
Merit: 266

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 08:01:33 PM

We are working our asses off, that's why we haven't posted for a while. Unfortunately, Trezor is not our only project, so it takes some time. Stay tuned and please be patient.

lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 08:49:55 PM

We are working our asses off, that's why we haven't posted for a while. Unfortunately, Trezor is not our only project, so it takes some time. Stay tuned and please be patient.

/patiently waiting

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
slush (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2013, 07:54:26 PM

Trésor Stick :-P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl8exp-YIGw

Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 09:42:37 PM

Om nom nom Bitcoins nom nom!

Ente
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 10:35:52 PM

hahahahaaa.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2013, 01:51:14 AM

Just re-iterating my hope that you make the firmware split (fixed bootloader and reflashable main part), that way, when the payment protocol work is progressing it will be a smooth upgrade to have Trezors show names instead of addresses.

After long discussions with Stick, we decided that we'll offer also unlocked devices (bootloader + refreshable memory), so people will be able to update firmware.

Hooray!

You could also add the ability for the user to choose to (irreversably) blow out the programming fuse.  If I were going to give one of these to my grandma I'd do that to it first.

Agreed.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2013, 01:53:28 AM

But it looks like that's a female USB mini/micro-B connector, which means you need a cable in order to use it.  Is that true, or am I mistaken?  I kinda think most people would prefer a device that's cable-wise self-sufficient (like Yubikeys) so they don't have to go hunting around for the right type of cable.

Due to the size of the device (is near twice the width of a standard USB key)  is better to have require a cable:

Of course not; having an A-type male connector doesn't prevent you from using a cable!

Unfortunately having a B-type female connector does prevent you from using it when you don't have a cable.  Which means that you pretty much have to carry around a cable -- doubling Trezor's effective size -- in order to realize its "secure bitcoin operations via random insecure desktops" vision.  Kinda sad, hope you'll reconsider...

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 04:18:36 AM

having an A-type male connector doesn't prevent you from using a cable!

Unfortunately having a B-type female connector does prevent you from using it when you don't have a cable.  Which means that you pretty much have to carry around a cable -- doubling Trezor's effective size -- in order to realize its "secure bitcoin operations via random insecure desktops" vision.
This makes perfect sense. Please consider the A-type male connector.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
stick

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 01:42:44 AM

Unfortunately having a B-type female connector does prevent you from using it when you don't have a cable.  Which means that you pretty much have to carry around a cable -- doubling Trezor's effective size -- in order to realize its "secure bitcoin operations via random insecure desktops" vision.  Kinda sad, hope you'll reconsider...

You would need the mentioned cable in 70%+ of cases when using "random insecure desktops" anyway.  But we'll think about it again ...

Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 04:18:11 PM

+1 for having  a USB A male connector, usb extension cables are easy enough to get if needed, and I can't imagine it'd cost /more/ to use that type of connector vs a female B type.
stick

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 05:05:26 PM

+1 for having  a USB A male connector, usb extension cables are easy enough to get if needed, and I can't imagine it'd cost /more/ to use that type of connector vs a female B type.
The price of the connector was never an issue. USB A male connector has more disadvantages than advantages so I don't think we'll change it from USB micro B female.

niko

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 09:52:33 PM

The price of the connector was never an issue. USB A male connector has more disadvantages than advantages so I don't think we'll change it from USB micro B female.
Female connector requires a cable. Male connector enables direct connection to PC, and if space is too crowded a cable can be used. What are comparative disadvantages of the male connector?

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 10:10:43 PM
Last edit: March 09, 2013, 10:40:03 PM by cbeast

+1 for having  a USB A male connector, usb extension cables are easy enough to get if needed, and I can't imagine it'd cost /more/ to use that type of connector vs a female B type.
Female connector requires a cable. Male connector enables direct connection to PC, and if space is too crowded a cable can be used. What are comparative disadvantages of the male connector?
This is an early design of what may one day be wireless. It would probably be best to use a cable, possibly as a lanyard for the device. A cable will be a cheap replacement if the connectors wear out.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1068

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 11:37:32 PM

What are comparative disadvantages of the male connector?
That the people will plug it into their desktop, which actually sits under the desk or otherwise in a non-easily viewable place. Then they will blindly press the acknowledge buttons without really checking the display on the Trezor.

Outside of North America pretty much every household already has the required cable. It is a cell-phone industry standard charging and interface cable.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
stick

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 12:21:24 AM

Disadvantages are mechanical -> device needs to be bigger and if you wear it on your keychain and/or in your pockets sooner or later you will break the connector.

That the people will plug it into their desktop, which actually sits under the desk or otherwise in a non-easily viewable place. Then they will blindly press the acknowledge buttons without really checking the display on the Trezor.

Exactly, nice to see there are people that understand the issue! Others saying that there's no need for cable and that USB A male connector is better, try this:

1) plug an USB stick into your computer
2) try reading USB stick's brand name written on the stick and at the same time look at your computer's monitor
3) imagine the text on the stick is not 4-6 letters but around 30 almost random letters

HeavySteel

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 02:48:13 AM

Price should be around € 100, but it still depends on many factors, what I read on a blog.
Ouch, that seems a little expensive. I mean, can't you buy old smartphones with that amount? Or perhaps second-hand netbooks that you could format and turn into an offline wallet.

If it makes the use of bitcoins closer to becoming idiot-proof, 100 EUR is worth it.  I'd buy one.  With it's success, the price will certainly come down when serious demand for the product picks up.
niko

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 04:25:00 AM

Disadvantages are mechanical -> device needs to be bigger and if you wear it on your keychain and/or in your pockets sooner or later you will break the connector.

Exactly, nice to see there are people that understand the issue! Others saying that there's no need for cable and that USB A male connector is better, try this:

1) plug an USB stick into your computer
2) try reading USB stick's brand name written on the stick and at the same time look at your computer's monitor
3) imagine the text on the stick is not 4-6 letters but around 30 almost random letters

Thanks, this makes sense.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... 265 »
  Print  

Jump to: