Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:23:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... 265 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ESHOP launched] Trezor: Bitcoin hardware wallet  (Read 965798 times)
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 04:49:54 PM

Such babies

WTF are you saying?  

Asking for basic information on how to use a product one is looking to buy (to determine, for one thing, if it is even something one 'can' make use of it)
is an unreasonable request?  
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 04:50:14 PM

No never plug this into another computer.

bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 04:50:49 PM

Well he already said Armory is ready and Electrum is coming.

Such babies

WTF are you saying? 

Asking for basic information on how to use a product one is looking to buy (to determine, for one thing, if it is even something one 'can' make use of it)

dillpicklechips

Activity: 994
Merit: 507

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 05:07:25 PM

In theory, this should still be safe, as the trezor never reveals private keys.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 05:11:34 PM

ya that's what i was thinking so it should be perfectly safe from a security stand point to plug it into someone elses computer but would it work? would the devise be able to communicate enough information for the retailers client to properly prepare the transaction for you to then sign?

it would be a really big deal i think if the trezor could be used in this way. it would make using bitcoin for real world transactions soo much simpler, grandma could start using bitcoin.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
neoranga

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 05:16:08 PM

Such babies

WTF are you saying? 

I've already read through all the thread to find out the information I was looking for but I still made the request on purpose to make life easier for the next person searching for the same information, specially in the product page where it's much more difficult to find this thread.
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 06:32:42 PM

True but a vulnerability could be developed at some point.

The use case of this device is to add protection to an already protected computer. Not for protection against an infested one. You would use this to confirm a transaction using your device and let the transaction cross to the merchant via the network. Not physical touching.

ya that's what i was thinking so it should be perfectly safe from a security stand point to plug it into someone elses computer but would it work? would the devise be able to communicate enough information for the retailers client to properly prepare the transaction for you to then sign?

it would be a really big deal i think if the trezor could be used in this way. it would make using bitcoin for real world transactions soo much simpler, grandma could start using bitcoin.

bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 06:34:11 PM

I expected portnoy to do the same, not you.

Such babies

WTF are you saying? 

I've already read through all the thread to find out the information I was looking for but I still made the request on purpose to make life easier for the next person searching for the same information, specially in the product page where it's much more difficult to find this thread.

Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 06:54:49 PM

The use case of this device is to add protection to an already protected computer. Not for protection against an infested one. You would use this to confirm a transaction using your device and let the transaction cross to the merchant via the network. Not physical touching.

its my understanding that the device has no extra memory what so ever above what is needed for the devise to perform its functions. this means there is literally no place for malware to reside. unless there is a flaw in the signature scheme, in which case we have much bigger problems, than it should be entirely safe even to plug this devise into a computer that you know for a fact is infected with malware.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 07:01:48 PM

It's a far fetch but it could be exploited to give up the private keys, exactly whats in its limited memory.

its my understanding that the device has no extra memory what so ever above what is needed for the devise to perform its functions. this means there is literally no place for malware to reside. unless there is a flaw in the signature scheme, in which case we have much bigger problems, than it should be entirely safe even to plug this devise into a computer that you know for a fact is infected with malware.

Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 07:42:14 PM

I just ordered one of each kind. Awesome work guys, I'm excited to see the produce Smiley

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 07:46:21 PM

Philip Banks over here

I just ordered one of each kind. Awesome work guys, I'm excited to see the produce Smiley

Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 08:12:13 PM

It's a far fetch but it could be exploited to give up the private keys, exactly whats in its limited memory.

potentially if the attacker could streamline the existing code than he could in theory *make* room for his malware. thats pretty far fetched though because i have to imagine that the code that governs the operation of the device is on read only memory.

bernard75
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 09:35:00 PM

http://www.coindesk.com/trezor-now-taking-pre-orders-for-its-hardware-bitcoin-wallet/

There are two versions of the device. A plastic-encased model, set for a November 2013 release, sells for 1 BTC. That is followed by a brushed aluminum version which costs 3 BTC and is slated for an October 2013 release. Pre-ordering for either of the wallets is available through the Trezor eShop
wrend

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 05:48:05 AM

Where are the files for building PCB.  Thank you.
neoranga

Activity: 50

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 02:24:50 PM

+1 preorder of the plastic model.

I'm curious to know what happened to the Kickstarter campaign, does anybody know?
stick

Activity: 441
Merit: 266

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 02:27:05 PM

I'm curious to know what happened to the Kickstarter campaign, does anybody know?

Kickstarter left us 2 weeks without response, then they said they disliked certain parts of the campaign. When we changed them, they were still not satisfied, but at the same time very vague about what actually they didn't like. So we decided to abandon that route, because we spend almost 4 weeks on it since the conference.

CoinSphere

Activity: 17

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 02:57:19 PM

Where are the files for building PCB.  Thank you.

In a similar vein, could you publish the CAD files for the casing? I think you are going to have an aftermarket for this device. Wink

And I ordered one Smiley
chrisrico

Activity: 496
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 07:05:57 PM

Either the device is secure or it isn't. If it isn't, then it's pointless. If it is, then it is safe to use on your own (presumably infected) computer or a merchant's.
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 07:47:38 PM

Nothing is secure. But this is secure enough to use on your own computers, not a computer fully exploited and targeted towards you. Satellite SIM cards have been hacked and they use the same technology.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... 265 »
  Print  

Jump to: