April 27, 2024, 01:38:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 18167 18168 18169 18170 18171 18172 18173 18174 18175 18176 18177 18178 18179 18180 18181 18182 18183 18184 18185 18186 18187 18188 18189 18190 18191 18192 18193 18194 18195 18196 18197 18198 18199 18200 18201 18202 18203 18204 18205 18206 18207 18208 18209 18210 18211 18212 18213 18214 18215 18216 [18217] 18218 18219 18220 18221 18222 18223 18224 18225 18226 18227 18228 18229 18230 18231 18232 18233 18234 18235 18236 18237 18238 18239 18240 18241 18242 18243 18244 18245 18246 18247 18248 18249 18250 18251 18252 18253 18254 18255 18256 18257 18258 18259 18260 18261 18262 18263 18264 18265 18266 18267 ... 33304 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26368437 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10157

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 03:41:02 AM

You mean the CEO of Bitcoin Cash -- Rick Falkvinge -- isn't allowed to trade bitcoin?
If he trades based on insider information, as you implied, and this can be proven in court, he will go to jail in most countries in the world.
Well, most likely not jail, but a hefty fine Roll Eyes

Maybe start a twitter campaign to jail the CEO of Bitcoin Cash?  Cheesy

For the record, there is no Bitcoin Cash CEO.  That doesn't even make sense.  How can a blockchain have a CEO? That letter was satire. The people with "inside information" are the miners and the whales battling it out right now.  I have no idea how this mess will play out, which is why I hold both BTC and BCH.

I am leaning towards BCH though.

I guess that you are conceding that some folks are fucking nutjobs, including that Rick whatever his name is who proclaimed to be the CEO of Bcash as a kind of pump "satire", as you call it.

Sure, it is understandable that cryptos are generally unregulated, and largely decentralized, but if the SEC considers some behaviors to be bordering on the promotion of securities, then some players could get themselves into trouble by pumping such, no?  Even if they later proclaim, "satire?" 

Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 04:21:58 AM

If you paid $6 to move $40 worth of bitcoin, and it confirmed, you would pay $6 to move $400 or $4000 or $40000 or even $4 million worth of bitcoin, and it will also confirm. (Well, maybe if you used more unspent inputs then you'd pay more than $6 but I think that's acceptable for a $4m transaction.)
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 04:25:55 AM

Could you explain why you think that users don't need to run network nodes?
I don't agree, but I would like to understand your point of view.

The design of Bitcoin is such that users can just be users.  

For example, if I transfer a coin to you, you can immediately verify my signature.  You do not need to trust me or trust anyone else -- the transaction itself contains cryptographic proof that I transferred ownership of my coin to you.  You can even follow the chain of signatures backwards and confirm that the person who I received the coin from also signed the transfer, and so on and so forth, as far back as you want to go.  You do not need a network node to do this!

The only risk to you is that I may have also signed that same bitcoin over to someone else.  This is the double-spend problem that had not been solved until Satoshi.  Satoshi's revolutionary solution was to use proof-of-work to time stamp transactions into a chain such that -- if his proof-of-work conjecture held --  that the same coin could not be spent twice.

As a user then, the only additional piece of information you need, is whether the transaction I gave to you was accepted into the blockchain.  A network node can provide you this proof (that you can trustlessly verify for yourself!) with a few kilobytes of information.

Here is a talk I gave (only about 10 min long) that explains how SPV works in more detail (sorry about the crappy audio!)  

https://youtu.be/m7cvPvtGIUI?t=459
tetra

Activity: 471
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 04:26:09 AM

If you paid $6 to move $40 worth of bitcoin, and it confirmed, you would pay $6 to move $400 or $4000 or $40000 or even $4 million worth of bitcoin, and it will also confirm. (Well, maybe if you used more unspent inputs then you'd pay more than $6 but I think that's acceptable for a $4m transaction.)

Sounds like a pretty standard amount for a transaction
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 04:42:34 AM

The only risk to you is that I may have also signed that same bitcoin over to someone else.

More recently another risk emerged: The ability of the node to feed the user a different chain, and then proclaiming that this chain is Bitcoin - when it's not.

In this scenario, a userbase which relies heavily on a few nodes can be switched to any implementation the few node-owners want. So if a few node-owners collude, they can switch nearly the entire BTC userbase to another coin and then proclaim it BTC.

So nodes are important. Very important.
Peter R
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 04:49:24 AM

The only risk to you is that I may have also signed that same bitcoin over to someone else.

More recently another risk emerged: The ability of the node to feed the user a different chain, and then proclaiming that this chain is Bitcoin - when it's not.

In this scenario, a userbase which relies heavily on a few nodes can be switched to any implementation the few node-owners want. So if a few node-owners collude, they can switch nearly the entire BTC userbase to another coin and then proclaim it BTC.

So nodes are important. Very important.

Sounds like you don't understand how PoW works.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 04:51:44 AM

I recently (a few months ago) paid $10.84 to move $833,092.49 split among 3 people.
tetra

Activity: 471
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 05:04:56 AM

I recently (a few months ago) paid $10.84 to move $833,092.49 split among 3 people.
Yeah, that sounds so 99%
AZwarel

Activity: 401
Merit: 280

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 05:07:05 AM

For example, if I transfer a coin to you, you can immediately verify my signature.  You do not need to trust me or trust anyone else -- the transaction itself contains cryptographic proof that I transferred ownership of my coin to you.  You can even follow the chain of signatures backwards and confirm that the person who I received the coin from also signed the transfer, and so on and so forth, as far back as you want to go.  You do not need a network node to do this!

The only risk to you is that I may have also signed that same bitcoin over to someone else.  This is the double-spend problem that had not been solved until Satoshi.  Satoshi's revolutionary solution was to use proof-of-work to time stamp transactions into a chain such that -- if his proof-of-work conjecture held --  that the same coin could not be spent twice.

As a user then, the only additional piece of information you need, is whether the transaction I gave to you was accepted into the blockchain.  A network node can provide you this proof (that you can trustlessly verify for yourself!) with a few kilobytes of information.

Here is a talk I gave (only about 10 min long) that explains how SPV works in more detail (sorry about the crappy audio!)  

That is a contradiction (bolded parts).

I can only prove it with a 100% chance, that the "provided" hash of the transaction from an untrusted node is valid, if i can reproduce that final few kilobyte hashed data myself from scratch.
For that, i MUST HAVE every single previous hashes starting from the first iteration of said transaction (the coinbase tx), and recreate the chain of proof myself.

For that, i need to have my own independent copy of the complete transactional history of the past utxos, not depending on it to be provided by an untrusted node on request - and in a trustless system, i must presume by default every other node is untrusted.

SPV can and does work, but it can not be a 100% proof of a valid state. Of course, for everyday low cost transactions, an SPVs probability for validity is enough, but it is not trustless, as you argue, and the problem will escalate with time:
if the ratio of SPV/full validating nodes drops below a treshold, the chance for a malicious collusion between said full nodes increases exponentially.
Gab0

Activity: 283
Merit: 127

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 05:19:38 AM

Thanks, I appreciate your response, but you talk to me about just one function of the node, which is to keep a record of the transaction history. Is not it also the function of the node to enforce the set of rules that maintain consensus in the network?
mymenace
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061

Smile

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 06:16:12 AM
Last edit: November 14, 2017, 06:27:35 AM by mymenace

Thanks, I appreciate your response, but you talk to me about just one function of the node, which is to keep a record of the transaction history. Is not it also the function of the node to enforce the set of rules that maintain consensus in the network?

This is not a node
https://blockchain.info/

access to all of bitcoins transactions

nodes confirm transactions besides other things, this is the blockchain

nodes are usually pc wallets, miners, pools, exchanges etc

side chains, wallet apps, online wallets are not full nodes and rely on the above infrastructure

hope i got that right

bitcoin is a currency of the bitcoin blockchain, the blockchain is the key

to use bitcoin effectively
1) Imagine if someone took a record of all your transactions from currency to contracts and anything else that can be electronic

2) Now you go and build your automation/software around that decentralized transparent ledger

3) The trust in your accounts/organisatioon/industry/currency is now exponentially better than anybody else

You are only limited by your imagination and do not need to be a node

BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 07:02:10 AM

How about nodes? Does BCH actually have any that aren't Bitmain?

I cannot speak definitively. There's mine. I ain't Bitmain. I assume that many others -- who I know to believe in the direction Bitcoin Cash has set for Bitcoin's future -- likewise run nodes.

Not much of an answer, that. Sort of hand-wavey.

I agree. Of course it is hand-wavey. What do you want me to do? I have no definitive list of all nodes. Do you have one for Bitcoin Segwit? Tallying them up -- in a permissionless environment -- would seem to be the responsibility of the person desiring the statistic, no? I guess in this case, that would be you. Right?

Perhaps if you could make a cogent case showing how Bitcoin Segwit is in any way more decentralized than Bitcoin Cash, you might have a point. But so far, all I've seen from you or others is mere hand waving.

Node count and distribution is important. Why are you pretending it's a non-issue?

I am not pretending it is a non-issue. I assume there are currently fully-validating non-mining 'nodes' in sufficient number. I am also assuming as people who operate fully-validating non-mining 'nodes' shift from focused upon Bitcoin Segwit to being focused upon Bitcoin Cash, that they will start operating 'nodes' upon Bitcoin Cash. Does this seem unreasonable to you? If so, why?

Of course, it is true that I have much less regard for the operation of such non-mining, fully-validating 'nodes' than do most. Indeed, I believe they provide essentially zero benefit to the system as a whole (though they do provide some measure of benefit to their individual owners).

Further, I believe that any system that does not provide forcible barriers to entry is decentralized to the extent that it need be. If the decentralization is purported to 'keep another class of parties in check', then spinning up a single said decentralizing element is sufficient to perform the task at hand. The system need not depend upon ridiculous oversubscription to perform the requisite function.

So presumably, that was your best 'cogent case showing how Bitcoin Segwit is in any way more decentralized than Bitcoin Cash'? What else ya got?

(apologies for the somewhat aggressive tone)

It pisses me off how much smarter than me you are.  Angry Cheesy
grrr

when moon?
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 07:03:55 AM

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2017, 07:04:15 AM

The paid and bamboozled shills Peter R and jbreher are out in full force, breaking the forum rules as they go (of course). You should wonder which agency is most likely to be funding agents to cause disruption in open source projects (NSA anyone?).

Back to what matters:

Bitstamp | Total bids: 105256978 USD. Total asks: 3992 BTC. Ratio: 26365.44631 USD/BTC. | Data vintage: 0.0739 seconds
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 07:10:57 AM

Remember readers, if you hold Bitcoin Core and Bitcoin Cash in equal proportions, you can sit back and watch the whales battle it out.  If you don't have inside information, you're at a significant disadvantage when trading.
I take that as a public confession of insider trading.
I hope you are aware of the fact that insider trading is illegal in practically any jurisdiction in the world?
If you are even somewhat representative of the Bitcoin Cash crowd, I shall from here on after call the Bitcoin Cashers crooks.

well said! will do the same. they are crooks.
Peter R
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 07:14:15 AM

The paid and bamboozled shills Peter R and jbreher are out in full force, breaking the forum rules as they go (of course). You should wonder which agency is most likely to be funding agents to cause disruption in open source projects (NSA anyone?).

uh oh, jbreher, he's on to us!  

Let's regroup back at NSA head quarters with Rick Falkvinge, Jihan Wu and Roger Ver.

Oh boy, you're a special kind of stupid, Lauda.
600watt
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 07:21:53 AM

It pisses me off how much smarter than me you are.  Angry Cheesy
grrr

when moon?

he isn´t. missing to see the context, the bigger picture is not smart.
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 07:26:58 AM

It pisses me off how much smarter than me you are.  Angry Cheesy
grrr

when moon?

That might apply just as well to me. I dumped, I'm hugely biased. Chinese bootlegging is a terrifying trillion dollar a year industry. I just can't help seeing these things as knock-off Bitcoins. But it is a protocol after all.

Ignore me. I'm torn. I'm babbling. I don't know.
600watt
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 07:33:48 AM

It pisses me off how much smarter than me you are.  Angry Cheesy
grrr

when moon?

That might apply just as well to me. I dumped, I'm hugely biased. Chinese bootlegging is a terrifying trillion dollar a year industry. I just can't help seeing these things as knock-off Bitcoins. But it is a protocol after all.

Ignore me. I'm torn. I'm babbling. I don't know.

when it comes to thieves staying unbiased is not the way to go.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 08:28:03 AM

Remember readers, if you hold Bitcoin Core and Bitcoin Cash in equal proportions, you can sit back and watch the whales battle it out.  If you don't have inside information, you're at a significant disadvantage when trading.
I take that as a public confession of insider trading.
I hope you are aware of the fact that insider trading is illegal in practically any jurisdiction in the world?
If you are even somewhat representative of the Bitcoin Cash crowd, I shall from here on after call the Bitcoin Cashers crooks.

well said! will do the same. they are crooks.

yep I'm in that boat......sitting on the fence seems to way to go...when the "my fork is right" many different flavors of bitcoin devs fight it out below....

this 'forking' is not gonna stop anytime soon..not with a clusterf*ck launch of Bitcoin Gold that at least on the toilet paper it resembles is at $214.94

hell, I and 3 guys I know could do a better job...(damn...the dark side of all this 'forking around' is a sexy wench..must resist!!!)

Pages: « 1 ... 18167 18168 18169 18170 18171 18172 18173 18174 18175 18176 18177 18178 18179 18180 18181 18182 18183 18184 18185 18186 18187 18188 18189 18190 18191 18192 18193 18194 18195 18196 18197 18198 18199 18200 18201 18202 18203 18204 18205 18206 18207 18208 18209 18210 18211 18212 18213 18214 18215 18216 [18217] 18218 18219 18220 18221 18222 18223 18224 18225 18226 18227 18228 18229 18230 18231 18232 18233 18234 18235 18236 18237 18238 18239 18240 18241 18242 18243 18244 18245 18246 18247 18248 18249 18250 18251 18252 18253 18254 18255 18256 18257 18258 18259 18260 18261 18262 18263 18264 18265 18266 18267 ... 33304 »
  Print  

Jump to: