May 05, 2024, 07:30:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 18928 18929 18930 18931 18932 18933 18934 18935 18936 18937 18938 18939 18940 18941 18942 18943 18944 18945 18946 18947 18948 18949 18950 18951 18952 18953 18954 18955 18956 18957 18958 18959 18960 18961 18962 18963 18964 18965 18966 18967 18968 18969 18970 18971 18972 18973 18974 18975 18976 18977 [18978] 18979 18980 18981 18982 18983 18984 18985 18986 18987 18988 18989 18990 18991 18992 18993 18994 18995 18996 18997 18998 18999 19000 19001 19002 19003 19004 19005 19006 19007 19008 19009 19010 19011 19012 19013 19014 19015 19016 19017 19018 19019 19020 19021 19022 19023 19024 19025 19026 19027 19028 ... 33323 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26372269 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
TERA2

Activity: 266
Merit: 222

Deb Rah Von Doom

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 12:45:44 AM

How hard is it for bitcoin to switch mining algortihms?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bones261
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1827

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 12:51:46 AM

They would need to hard fork it. This would never get community consensus though. Think the miners are going to agree to make their ASICS immediately obsolete? (Or forced to mine another SHA256 coin, like BCH.) The only way this is going to fly is if it is discovered the SHA256d algorithm has a vulnerability or commuting power increases to such an extent that solving it becomes trivial.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10211

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 12:51:51 AM

Wheeeee! My double digits is halfway to triple digits. Hodler for hire.

Likely, the more you tease, the more obligation that you are going to create for yourself to share your secret with us..... in other words, what is the trick to go from single digits to double digits to triple digits within such a short period of time.  Merely luck, or is there some kind of system that is repeatable for us laypersons?

He dabbles in alts. If you haven't noticed, there's some serious rotation in the works.

Edit: if he's gone from 25 to 50 BTC, probably does more than just dabble.

O.k.  

Maybe the topic is a bit too complex for dab(ling) into, and then getting into off-topicness, especially if such practices are not easy to explain for us lay personas.

I understand that some folks play all or nothing with the trading of their stash (at least the trading portion of their stash), and likely it takes a bit of experience and practice (and perhaps luck, too) to get those kinds of practices to become profitable in any kind of consistent way.  

Since I can better relate to incrementalism thinking, I will try to just stick with variations of incrementalism thinking - because anything else may likely go above my head, anyhow.   Cry Cry

JJG, you won't like my answer, but I confirm what Rosewater says. To me, they are tools. I avoid the obvious scams, but for example, in roach's eyes, even bitcoin is a scam, sooo....

Actually, your answer comes off as very credible, like you are not just making shit up.  There is a certain value to sharing personal experiences in threads like these, even if I, personally, am not very likely to attempt your stunt(s).  hahahaha

You know the expression:  "I am going to show you this, but don't try this at home."  hahahaha

I did get some free Ripples from a long time ago, sold them all a month later and got maybe a whole bitcoin for it (valued at $500? or something). Can't complain, it was free.

Sure.  There is a certain value to "free," and maybe the only cost was your time.. or the skeptical viewpoint that perhaps you are being used in some kind of way.. but yeah, I agree, there is a certain value to "free."

If you want to know which alts I have, send me a PM as that's off topic here. Even the mention of alts (except to joke about them) isn't well liked here. But at the end of the day (or end of the week) I trade those alts back to BTC.

Thanks for the sharing offer.  I really don't have much tolerance for alts, and even if you give me a $million winner, I am likely NOT going to act on it, anyhow.  It is just not in my personality.  

Don't get me wrong.  I am not 100% opposed to alts, because currently, I own about 4 alts that I actually bought and the value of those constitute less than 2% of my total crypto.  Second, I certainly am not against anyone else spending some of their time involved in alts, even if such a practice differs from my own.

I am not a day trader, nor have any bots. I just buy low and sell high. Sometimes I buy high and sell low, but so far I've been averaging positive. I hold for several weeks or months, so some of these things I got middle of 2017, before everything went up.

I missed the big ones. Got lucky (fate? destiny? right coin at the right time?) with a few, and there are a few very long term hodls I have because I know the dev... (yeah, roach is gonna say this means a centralized coin ....) or the dev knew me and reached out.

Of course, there is some truth to any assessment that a large number of alts went up with crazy vigor in recent times, so there likely is some attribution to both luck and just taking a few chances to identify some of the better ones and even going based on some insider knowledge.  All fair, if you have enough tolerance for such activities.

I don't like mining, but some of these are POS coins (proof of stake), and a couple of them even have "masternodes" (yeah, not Dash, I wish tho, right, who doesn't want a $1m USD node)...

For some reason, whenever I think of proof of stake, I think of ponzi scheme.  I am not sure why that connection is made in my head, yet I do understand that peeps can make a lot of money, even if something is a ponzi scheme as long as they get in early and out before it crashes.

I'm also currently technically unemployed, and have been for about a couple of years, so I have to survive by spending my bitcoins, and I have to make sure I don't lose too much any gains I make. This forces me to be very careful with my trades, or which ICOs I "donate" to, or which airdrops I join (well, some of them anyway, cuz airdrops are free).

Actually, I have noticed that money can make money, and if you can generate enough principle, then it may be very possible for you to live off the earnings while preserving the trading capital (principle).  

I don't really like trading very much; however, I have seen my trading practice begin to generate more and more of its own income, and I am thinking that if all other sources of my income were to dry up, at some point, I will likely have enough money that I can just live off the proceeds of my trades - and I am actually attempting to make my trades less and less interactive, so that they are not triggering as often as they were previously.  

Of course, there are a few risks.  One risk is that if the value of whatever you are holding goes down so much, and you do not really have any decent hedges, then you could become kind of fucked if you cannot HODL through the downside volatility, and another risk is the changes in the level of volatility.  I had seen that I was just raking in dough during high volatility periods; however when volatility goes down, then sometimes there can be extended periods in which no orders are being executed  - and I had considered that I am making money as long as orders are being executed, and it really does not matter to me which direction they are executing - and they faster they execute the more money I make - even though carrying my example to the most logical extreme does not make sense because the main way that I make money from downside volatility is if the price "eventually" comes back up.

One airdrop back in July? or June? 2017, held the coin for 3 months, then it was going to fork or something so I went on an exchange and my free coins were worth 2 BTC, valued back then at $800, or whatever the price of BTC back in July.

I don't know if it's luck, but it's repeatable, the only problem is, right now, I'm not so sure which particular coins you should repeat it with. I have some bets, and again, I am careful, but I am not a stock picker, I'm not a day trader, I just HODL.

Hopefully it keeps working for you.  It seems like whatever you are doing is working out, but perhaps there could be some truth to the expression that it is difficult to lose money in a bull market.. and we have been in a bull market regarding a lot of the cryptos in the past couple of years, so hopefully none of us are getting delusional about our own abilities (or lack thereof) when it comes to sustainability or even repeatability under certain less favorable circumstances.

My plan in Feb or March 2018 is to cash out some and go buy some Amazon and Walmart stocks. And maybe a small pile of gold too. I like bars. A couple of 1 oz bars wouldn't be a bad idea to just stick around the house somewhere.

Might not be a bad idea regarding diversification and locking in some profits.

I also help a couple other people to buy some coins, and HODL it for them. (yeah, they trust me) ... since it's their money, they keep the gains, but since I'm the HODLer, I get a small cut.

Good if you have more than one way to earn money - yet of course, there are risks with holding and/or managing other people's money, and likely they will become less content, if their portfolio is losing value, and then they will feel like they are overpaying you for your "assistance".  hahahahaha

So ... wheeee?!

wheeeeeee, indeeeeeeed.   Wink  [strike edited per the __vices of sirazimuth.. hahahahahaha]

Thanks for your elaboration.
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174

Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 12:59:35 AM

They would need to hard fork it. This would never get community consensus though. Think the miners are going to agree to make their ASICS immediately obsolete? (Or forced to mine another SHA256 coin, like BCH.) The only way this is going to fly is if it is discovered the SHA256d algorithm has a vulnerability or commuting power increases to such an extent that solving it becomes trivial.

Or the miners attack Bitcoin in a substantial way.
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174

Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 01:04:50 AM

I have decided that Ripple is an attack on Bitcoin the same as Bcash.  They are trying to scare holders into selling by wash trading an appearance of a Flippening with a centrally controlled shitcoin. Don’t fall for it.
LewisPirenne

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 01:08:16 AM

Actually there was a discussion on dev-mailing-list just a while back on introducing an "intermediate" block using different PoW via soft fork.  So pretty much everything can be done via soft fork.  

There was a discussion on changing block size via soft fork, yep, no need to hard fork to change block size.  There was even a discussion on shortening block interval to have much faster blocks for BTC, via soft fork too, written by none other than Vitalik himself.  But getting those soft forks to activate via miners or even users would be quite a challenge though....
itod
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1076

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 01:09:01 AM

I have decided that Ripple is an attack on Bitcoin the same as Bcash.  They are trying to scare holders into selling by wash trading a Flippening.  Don’t fall for it.

Not even likely. Ripple is plain simple centralized POS scam, has nothing to do with BTC. It doesn't share the technology, doesn't share the philosophy, it shouldn't even be called the same name "cryptocurrency" as Bitcoin. On the other hand, BCash is real evil attack on Bitcoin.
mymenace
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061

Smile

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 01:16:12 AM

I have decided that Ripple is an attack on Bitcoin the same as Bcash.  They are trying to scare holders into selling by wash trading a Flippening.  Don’t fall for it.

Not even likely. Ripple is plain simple centralized POS scam, has nothing to do with BTC. It doesn't share the technology, doesn't share the philosophy, it shouldn't even be called the same name "cryptocurrency" as Bitcoin. On the other hand, BCash is real evil attack on Bitcoin.

they keep a coming but bitcoin keep doin backflips on them

Last of the V8s
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 4392

Be a bank

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 01:16:53 AM

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2018/01/03/business/03reuters-bank-of-america-merrill-lynch-bitcoin.html?partner=IFTTT
Merrill Lynch Bans Clients From Investing in Silbert Bitcoin Fund
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3556
Merit: 5041

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 01:28:37 AM

I have decided that Ripple random shitcoin is an attack on Bitcoin the same as Bcash other random shitcoin.  They are trying to scare holders into selling by wash trading a Flippening.  Don’t fall for it.

FTFY. They've been trying this lame 'flippening scare' tactic for over a year now, because they are all fresh out of other shitactics.

Pumping random garbage will never work. The Bitcoin community has matured and can see through the bullshit.

Wallstreet desperately needs more bitcoin supply to play their con games with the public, and there just isn't much available. So they are desperate to get existing holders to part with their bitcoin. They want them to make rookie trading mistakes, divest into a myriad of shitcoins, or just get frustrated and sell... whatever they can do to shake people out. It doesn't appear to be working.
mymenace
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061

Smile

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 01:36:06 AM

I have decided that Ripple random shitcoin is an attack on Bitcoin the same as Bcash other random shitcoin.  They are trying to scare holders into selling by wash trading a Flippening.  Don’t fall for it.

FTFY. They've been trying this lame 'flippening scare' tactic for over a year now, because they are all fresh out of other shitactics.

Pumping random garbage will never work. The Bitcoin community has matured and can see through the bullshit.

Wallstreet desperately needs more bitcoin supply to play their con games with the public, and there just isn't much available. So they are desperate to get existing holders to part with their bitcoin. They want them to make rookie trading mistakes, divest into a myriad of shitcoins, or just get frustrated and sell... whatever they can do to shake people out. It doesn't appear to be working.

Luvin it, so true

And thats why you would have to be completely stupid in not making money in this environment

Money everywhere, buy low sell high, so easy

flip this coin, flip that, back to btc money money money

another thing people are not realising, this is a transference of wealth and devaluation of the fiat

the central bank scam is exposed and people are flooding to get away from them

gold moving now too

#btchappening

RoomBot
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1123

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 01:36:16 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BITCOIN!

BTC is NINE years old.

Nine years later ignorant idiots are still publishing articles about BTC that they clearly don't understand!

Given how much the required electricity consumption for Bitcoin mining has jumped over the years, it is no surprise that – in comparison to #0 – the mining reward for a single block has dropped to 12.5BTC these days.

[insert facepalm here]

Somebody, send them a clue! https://thenextweb.com/hardfork/2018/01/03/bitcoin-block-zero-first-blockchain/
milkshock100

Activity: 242
Merit: 14

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 01:40:01 AM

I have decided that Ripple is an attack on Bitcoin the same as Bcash.  They are trying to scare holders into selling by wash trading a Flippening.  Don’t fall for it.

Agreed at least ripple doesn’t purport to be something it isn’t. It’s an open racket.
pera

Activity: 532
Merit: 261

­バカ

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 01:46:21 AM

[...]
Now you have these guys like Adam Back and Coblee making nonsensical comments claiming that bitcoin is proof of stake and mining doesn't even matter.  [...]

I really don't understand your interpretation of those tweets: they are not talking about PoS.
ParabellumLite

Activity: 560
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 01:57:33 AM

Well, those blinds you are wearing will prove to be fatal some day. This is what zealotry can lead to, if you ask me.
Oh, and the flippening will happen. Its importance is indeed overrated, but it will happen and much sooner than you probably think.  There are too many alternatives out there with much better fundamentals that more or less exclude the possibility of it not happening.
realr0ach

Activity: 924
Merit: 311

#TheGoyimKnow

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 01:57:54 AM

[...]
Now you have these guys like Adam Back and Coblee making nonsensical comments claiming that bitcoin is proof of stake and mining doesn't even matter.  [...]

I really don't understand your interpretation of those tweets: they are not talking about PoS.

Instead of admitting bitcoin failed because it's designed to centralize, they claim control of the protocol rests with nodes and whatever miners do doesn't matter, aka proof of stake - except nodes can be sybiled so what they're saying makes zero sense.  They're advocating a completely nonsensical explanation of how they think bitcoin should work instead of just admitting it failed.
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 01:59:36 AM

Bitcoin

old enough to be an Islamic bride
realr0ach

Activity: 924
Merit: 311

#TheGoyimKnow

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 02:02:17 AM

Bitcoin

^And this is how you can tell he's a jew shill, he tries pushing cultural marxism garbage non-stop and claims criticizing jews is "racism", but has no problem pulling complete double standards against enemies of his evil Jewish cult (enemies meaning anyone who is not jewish or doesn't want to be ruled or extorted by jews).
pops87

Activity: 65
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 02:28:23 AM

Bitcoin

^And this is how you can tell he's a jew shill, he tries pushing cultural marxism garbage non-stop and claims criticizing jews is "racism", but has no problem pulling complete double standards against enemies of his evil Jewish cult (enemies meaning anyone who is not jewish or doesn't want to be ruled or extorted by jews).
Cool story man.
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4004
Merit: 4475

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 02:36:21 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BITCOIN!

BTC is NINE years old.

Nine years later ignorant idiots are still publishing articles about BTC that they clearly don't understand!

Given how much the required electricity consumption for Bitcoin mining has jumped over the years, it is no surprise that – in comparison to #0 – the mining reward for a single block has dropped to 12.5BTC these days.

[insert facepalm here]

Somebody, send them a clue! https://thenextweb.com/hardfork/2018/01/03/bitcoin-block-zero-first-blockchain/

Happy Birthday Bitcoinland.

Pages: « 1 ... 18928 18929 18930 18931 18932 18933 18934 18935 18936 18937 18938 18939 18940 18941 18942 18943 18944 18945 18946 18947 18948 18949 18950 18951 18952 18953 18954 18955 18956 18957 18958 18959 18960 18961 18962 18963 18964 18965 18966 18967 18968 18969 18970 18971 18972 18973 18974 18975 18976 18977 [18978] 18979 18980 18981 18982 18983 18984 18985 18986 18987 18988 18989 18990 18991 18992 18993 18994 18995 18996 18997 18998 18999 19000 19001 19002 19003 19004 19005 19006 19007 19008 19009 19010 19011 19012 19013 19014 19015 19016 19017 19018 19019 19020 19021 19022 19023 19024 19025 19026 19027 19028 ... 33323 »
  Print  

Jump to: