May 13, 2024, 05:41:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 20389 20390 20391 20392 20393 20394 20395 20396 20397 20398 20399 20400 20401 20402 20403 20404 20405 20406 20407 20408 20409 20410 20411 20412 20413 20414 20415 20416 20417 20418 20419 20420 20421 20422 20423 20424 20425 20426 20427 20428 20429 20430 20431 20432 20433 20434 20435 20436 20437 20438 [20439] 20440 20441 20442 20443 20444 20445 20446 20447 20448 20449 20450 20451 20452 20453 20454 20455 20456 20457 20458 20459 20460 20461 20462 20463 20464 20465 20466 20467 20468 20469 20470 20471 20472 20473 20474 20475 20476 20477 20478 20479 20480 20481 20482 20483 20484 20485 20486 20487 20488 20489 ... 33346 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26382738 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 11:01:36 AM

I like the famous anecdote about the US's phenomenal talent of wasting money. NASA engineers spent millions of dollar trying to develop a pen that could write in space, or so the story goes. Meanwhile, the soviets used pencils.

pencil shavings floating around were perceived to be a problem as they could get into delicate electronic packages. hence, pens.

at least there was some reasoning involved. whether it was valid? who knows. NASA (back then) was all about safety, anything that might cause equipment failure was minimized.

use ten pencils per flight so they don't have to be sharpened? that still saves millions of dollars.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3536

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 11:15:34 AM

use ten pencils per flight so they don't have to be sharpened? that still saves millions of dollars.

valid to a point, but pencil points dont last long (we use em in medical a lot and we always need to sharpen them, one page of writing and its more or less useless) and if you break the tip, what then. send up 100s?

but i do see your point. not sure if theres more to it than i know.
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 11:23:30 AM

There is a strong correlation between conspiracy theorists and low cognitive capability.  Make of that what you will.  
hmmm. many conspiracys are later found to be true. wake up people
No no. Conspiracies are not true or false. They exist or they don't exist.

Conspiracy theories can be true or false.

And of course, Hairy is full of shit as usual.
AlcoHoDL
Legendary

Activity: 2366
Merit: 4186

Addicted to HoDLing!

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 11:24:44 AM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

Quoted from above article:

"Both U.S. astronauts and Soviet cosmonauts initially used pencils on space flights, but those writing instruments were not ideal: pencil tips can flake and break off, and having such objects floating around space capsules in near-zero gravity posed a potential harm to astronauts and equipment. (As well, after the fatal Apollo 1 fire in 1967, NASA was anxious to avoid having astronauts carry flammable objects such as pencils onboard with them.)

When the solution of providing astronauts with a ballpoint pen that would work under weightless conditions and extreme temperatures came about, though, it wasn’t because NASA had thrown hundreds of thousands of dollars (inflated to $12 billion in the latest iterations of this tale) in research and development money at the problem. The “space pen” that has since become famous through its use by astronauts was developed independently by Paul C. Fisher of the Fisher Pen Co., who spent his own money on the project and, once he perfected his AG-7 “Anti-Gravity” Space Pen, offered it to NASA. After that agency tested and approved the pen’s suitability for use in space flights, they purchased a number of the instruments from Fisher for a modest price [$2.95 each]."
Phil_S
Legendary

Activity: 2091
Merit: 1461

We choose to go to the moon

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 11:38:05 AM
Merited by Hueristic (1)

I don't see what is controversial about my statement... which part of my statement is controversial? 

my doubting of the moon landing or my confidence that the earth is not flat?

doubting the moon landing...seriously, that shit is cray

i find it hard to believe people that are otherwise reasonably intelligent can still believe that moon landings were faked.

mental block?  lack of knowledge the technical aspects? brain washing? wishful thinking? whatever it is.. well enjoy your beliefs.

It's funny, they're skeptical about landings, but not launches. Smiley Launches are the hardest, most expensive part, not landings.
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3836
Merit: 8103

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 11:39:07 AM

I don't see what is controversial about my statement... which part of my statement is controversial? 

i find it hard to believe people that are otherwise reasonably intelligent can still believe that moon landings were faked.

mental block?  lack of knowledge the technical aspects? brain washing? wishful thinking? whatever it is.. well enjoy your beliefs.

It's funny, they're skeptical about landings, but not launches. Smiley Launches are the hardest, most expensive part, not landings.

Yeah but landing in one piece...
European Central Bank
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 11:43:04 AM

there's little to no gravity, plus you only have to put a few tons down versus lifting several thousand of high explosive but let's not get too technical.
Phil_S
Legendary

Activity: 2091
Merit: 1461

We choose to go to the moon

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 11:47:15 AM

Both countries experimented with robot landings quite enough, even had robotic sample rerurn missions.
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3836
Merit: 8103

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 12:26:59 PM

there's little to no gravity, plus you only have to put a few tons down versus lifting several thousand of high explosive but let's not get too technical.

Ha!  So like point and shoot.  Sounds pretty simple. Wink
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 01:04:47 PM

mental block?  lack of knowledge the technical aspects? brain washing? wishful thinking? whatever it is.. well enjoy your beliefs.

We launch all the time with no problem these days, If all that stuff that came after the launches is so easy, why do we never just throw in the 10% more effort on any one of the modern launches and go back some time? I'm not arguing the moon landing was a hoax here. Just pointing out the obvious followup question to what you said.
European Central Bank
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 01:16:58 PM

We launch all the time with no problem these days, If all that stuff that came after the launches is so easy, why do we never just throw in the 10% more effort on any one of the modern launches and go back some time? I'm not arguing the moon landing was a hoax here. Just pointing out the obvious followup question to what you said.

90% or more of launches these days are for ruthlessly commercial reasons.

and the next people to make the effort will be doing it for ascendant prestige which means china, not the tired old west. it might even be a private operation.

and that whole era was a freaky anomaly. there's no appetite to push the limits any more. these days it takes airliners longer to fly many places than it did back then. the world's fastest plane designs like the sr-71 and x-15 are over 60 years old now.

Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 01:26:31 PM

Yesterday I saw a flag pole wrapped in lagging to make it "safer" its the state of the world. Health and safety going mad.

It didn't even sound that bad typed, so look!

Its just so sad, those poor scouts might get hurt. Shit when I was back in the day we all had knives and axes and made fires.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 01:29:22 PM

Yesterday I saw a flag pole wrapped in lagging to make it "safer" its the state of the world. Health and safety going mad.

I'm at the Isle of Man TT. Here they wrap the poles in padding to protect them from the riders, not vice versa.
mymenace
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061

Smile

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 01:29:42 PM

mental block?  lack of knowledge the technical aspects? brain washing? wishful thinking? whatever it is.. well enjoy your beliefs.

Someone is up there

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phobos_monolith

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDIXvpjnRws
Buzz Aldrin Reveals Existence of Monolith on Mars Moon

at 30 sec ..."We should go boldly where man has not gone before"..

I love conspiracy

Always some truth in a conspiracy theory.
Robin,Hood

Activity: 462
Merit: 62

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 01:30:55 PM

Lol, NASA themselves have said the 'lost' the technology to go back, go figure. Any mobile phone has more computing power than available in the 60. Go ahaid and transmit data over that distance and tell me how much power it takes. Go ahaid and to some research of how much a radio station users, and the reach is?
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 01:32:16 PM

Because people today are cowards.
hv_
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1055

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2018, 01:34:03 PM

Ivan says, be more humble guys

https://youtu.be/_HV2UYm1xe0

Grin
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 01:34:38 PM

God I try not to bite to this ridiculous shit. I worked for both NASA and ESA been to lots of bases seen lots of satellites.

How do you think GPS works? or is that also pretend?

Just stupid idiots, and I lost because I replied.
nanobtc

Activity: 601
Merit: 610

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2018, 01:40:50 PM

I believe. As a ham radio operator, I have personally transmitted a signal (with my own equipment), and had it relayed back from a satellite. I communicated with another ham doing the same things.Nobody else faked that.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4906

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 01:43:47 PM

Perhaps it is better that we forget about it. What a phenomenal waste of money, time and talent. NASA would have been better off, and gathered much more useful science by sending umpteen unmanned missions instead.  I feel the exact same way about NASA's current project on sending a manned mission to Mars.

It's all to play to the people. Shaking funds out of social projects takes political will that most of the lobbyist bought puppets don't have so in order to change the flow of the money from being diverted to their assigned agenda (Big Pharma, Insurance...) the people have to give something up and to sell that the people have to have a dream. People don't care about probes or rovers, they want to high five each other when a man steps foot on Mars.

I find way more probability that the moon landing and some of that crap about men going to the moon to be a lot less likely to be true than the nonsense that is spouted out about the earth being flat...

Oh       my     fucking      god
you've got to be shitting me dude....

Oh I c what u did there. Different times words mean different things. When I grew up and still when I/we (my peers) say fags we mean pansies as in no balls. I couldn't care less if you hump a log or a furry.

For me it was always about people acting in a manner that draws attention to themselves that they ought to be embarrassed about, but of course arent, because they were after all trying to draw attention to it. Southpark had it right when they said that people on loud motorcycles are fags, or more traditionally but also appropriate people who act flamboyant, or those people who wear spandex when they ride a bike or people who's cars bounce or make loud booms, those stupid eye lashes on cars, people with a "popped" collar or those stupid hats that have the bill perfectly flat and a sticker still on them from a store in the mall called "lidz". Anything that is intended to draw attention and once it does draw your attention you are like, jesus h christ I wish I never been coerced into realizing that you existed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2k4Fsg11-w

Correct, the word is not universal and can be used or misconstrued. When I grew up it was used to rally people to get off their buts and not be fags (as in pansies, afraid to stand up for themselves). I enjoyed that episode. I also can be called a fag in the context of that episode. Smiley the irony. Cheesy

Something that sets me apart from the average arm chair general is that I get off my ass and put my own neck on the line when I see injustice, but I won't do it when I don't think those reaping the benefits of my efforts are worth that effort. I've had the heavy hand of the state depressed on my neck for standing up for whats right and its a thankless job. It really is easier to watch the sheeple become shackled.

All the jew hating on here..my /ignore list is filling up! Smiley

It is all so 'silly' and such a 'generalization' to blame a group for whatever reason....

it's a money thing..those that have and those that do not...money and power concentrate...at least in uncontrolled 'crony capitalism' of the

18th century and standard oil and the Rockefellers etc....seems it is doing so quite rapidly again this decade as well...there will be backlash IMHO,

as it has 'swung' too far ..but we will see...

money has no religion ...it is all about 'power' over others to your advantage.

any other theory is just silly

In this day and age you would think that was a given.

Consider why the jews have been kicked out of 300 different areas in the world over the past few thousand years. What is it that makes everyone hate them. I'm sure you have an answer to share with the class, given how silly the whole thing is. There surely must be a simple and entirely rational answer.

At what point do you stop holding the past against an entire people? Is forever your answer?

I like the famous anecdote about the US's phenomenal talent of wasting money. NASA engineers spent millions of dollar trying to develop a pen that could write in space, or so the story goes. Meanwhile, the soviets used pencils.

I've heard that for years as well. I recently read this about it.  https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-write-stuff/

Why didn't they use crayons? What about grease pencils which I think is type of crayon?
Pages: « 1 ... 20389 20390 20391 20392 20393 20394 20395 20396 20397 20398 20399 20400 20401 20402 20403 20404 20405 20406 20407 20408 20409 20410 20411 20412 20413 20414 20415 20416 20417 20418 20419 20420 20421 20422 20423 20424 20425 20426 20427 20428 20429 20430 20431 20432 20433 20434 20435 20436 20437 20438 [20439] 20440 20441 20442 20443 20444 20445 20446 20447 20448 20449 20450 20451 20452 20453 20454 20455 20456 20457 20458 20459 20460 20461 20462 20463 20464 20465 20466 20467 20468 20469 20470 20471 20472 20473 20474 20475 20476 20477 20478 20479 20480 20481 20482 20483 20484 20485 20486 20487 20488 20489 ... 33346 »
  Print  

Jump to: