Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 12:58:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Data Center Mining Garage and Man Mining Cave ( PART 2 !!!!!!!!)  (Read 106652 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Scrappy Do

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 05:21:39 AM
Last edit: October 26, 2017, 05:31:57 AM by Scrappy Do

Just an overview of the thread as I did not read it all. Several things point out to me that just make me say wtf?!?!?!?!

1. I see all these people talk of AC for their rigs... Have you lost your flipping mind? I am in Arkansas and we see several days a year over 100 degrees and also have extreme humidity. The only issue I have ever had is fans burning out and this is in a non filtered environment. So this misconception that you need some fancy ass ac/filtered air is bullshit.

2. Standard service to a house here is 200amp. I have added a 300 amp to a separate building on my property, and working on another 300amp next door (we bought that house as well) in addition to the 200 amp already there. The key is (at least here) if your building is on a foundation (concrete) they typically will allow a shop on the same premises as the house and do so for free. Now, If you have a portable building ( no concrete) you must provide the ditch and conduit to the panel (which you must also purchase). I just finished this and it cost me $1300 for a 320 foot underground ditch and conduit. Add in the meter/breaker box and service disconnect (which no matter how you do it you must pay for on your own) $2200.

With all that said, Residential service is by FAR cheaper than commercial. Sure you can argue reliability and who comes up first in an outage, but bottom line .09kw/h kicks .14kw/h commercials ass including so called reliability. Now I know your saying "yea but I need security". Cameras and my guns take care of that I assure you. "But what about when I run out of power or I want 3 phase?" Believe it or not there are 1 phase to 3 phase connectors that are very inexpensive.

1 more thing on this... Another major benefit to going residential and taking advantage of the services already there are you do not need to pay for transformers. They MUST provide them for residential customers. Since I started mining, I have seen them upgrade my pole and several others just to provide for me!

Scrap'

yun9999 (OP)

Activity: 414
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 04:15:05 AM
Last edit: October 27, 2017, 04:28:45 AM by yun9999

@Searing - Yeah 12cents / kw and above is never fun.

@Citronick - I'm not sure what the concern is.  D3 cost less than L3 during launch.  $1450 vs 2400.  Only recently did the price of L3 drop below 2k.  My L3 that I bought in May / July more than paid for themselves so yeah they're great investments and paid for the D3.  I have no concerns on the D3.  Remember when the S7 and S9 came out, they were so powerful that they killed difficulty for at least a few months before it properly adjust.  The D3 is many more times as the most powerful Baikal miners so it's expected the shock would be much worst but it will recover.  The current batch does 18-20GH vs advertised 15GH so it's doing well above $15/day.  Should be no issues ROI and then free money.  L3 are roughly in the same range 15-17/day but of course at much less wattage and noise.   I still see D3 as being a good powerful house for a while.

@ Scrappy Do - It's not always that simple.  Most residential house including mine actually have 125AMP not 200AMP so you're actually lucky to start off with 200AMP.  Even 3000SF homes in TX can have 125AMP services.  It's also not true that commercial rates is higher than residential.  IT all depends on the area.  Commercial TDU or energy charges are much less than residential so say you have 5 cents a kw in Texas, your TDU charges are almost another 4cents per kw in additional making it 9 cents.  Whereas commercial depends on your provider and usage and can be less than 1.5 cents for TDU so for the same place, commercial is much cheaper.   You can also lock in for 3years with commerical.  My home have a residential and commercial meter.  The commercial is much cheaper rate due to lower TDU.   Also there are much more restriction on power and noise at home then commercial including the max your transformer can support, single phase residential vs 3 phase commercial.  3 Phase will give you a lot more wattage for the same amperage used, bar none the most important thing u want to have if you want to scale.   There are pros and cons to both residential and commercial when it comes to cost but if you're going to go big, it makes 100% sense to do commercial vs many home sites due to lower energy cost, better insurance coverage, tax purposes and safety, etc.

P.S You don't need 1 phase to 3 phase connectors.  You can load balance the phases at the breaker level and use single phase PDU so cost is not really a factor but you can support a whole lot more rigs with the same amperage.

citronick
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080

---- winter*juvia -----

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 05:58:36 AM

@Citronick - I'm not sure what the concern is.  D3 cost less than L3 during launch.  $1450 vs 2400.  Only recently did the price of L3 drop below 2k.  My L3 that I bought in May / July more than paid for themselves so yeah they're great investments and paid for the D3.  I have no concerns on the D3.  Remember when the S7 and S9 came out, they were so powerful that they killed difficulty for at least a few months before it properly adjust.  The D3 is many more times as the most powerful Baikal miners so it's expected the shock would be much worst but it will recover.  The current batch does 18-20GH vs advertised 15GH so it's doing well above $15/day.  Should be no issues ROI and then free money.  L3 are roughly in the same range 15-17/day but of course at much less wattage and noise.   I still see D3 as being a good powerful house for a while.

yeah.... actually I have been milking it in since December last year with Baikals, Ibelinks and D3s.... hopefully X11 profitability will recover soon :-)

If I provided you good and useful info or just a smile to your day, consider sending me merit points to further validate this Bitcointalk account ~ useful for future account recovery...
Scrappy Do

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 06:26:26 AM

@ Scrappy Do - It's not always that simple.  Most residential house including mine actually have 125AMP not 200AMP so you're actually lucky to start off with 200AMP.  Even 3000SF homes in TX can have 125AMP services.  It's also not true that commercial rates is higher than residential.  IT all depends on the area.  Commercial TDU or energy charges are much less than residential so say you have 5 cents a kw in Texas, your TDU charges are almost another 4cents per kw in additional making it 9 cents.  Whereas commercial depends on your provider and usage and can be less than 1.5 cents for TDU so for the same place, commercial is much cheaper.   You can also lock in for 3years with commerical.  My home have a residential and commercial meter.  The commercial is much cheaper rate due to lower TDU.   Also there are much more restriction on power and noise at home then commercial including the max your transformer can support, single phase residential vs 3 phase commercial.  3 Phase will give you a lot more wattage for the same amperage used, bar none the most important thing u want to have if you want to scale.   There are pros and cons to both residential and commercial when it comes to cost but if you're going to go big, it makes 100% sense to do commercial vs many home sites due to lower energy cost, better insurance coverage, tax purposes and safety, etc.

P.S You don't need 1 phase to 3 phase connectors.  You can load balance the phases at the breaker level and use single phase PDU so cost is not really a factor but you can support a whole lot more rigs with the same amperage.

I guess that is the major difference in the actual providers. Here, I cannot get commercial cheaper no matter what I do. Trust me I have spoke to damn near everyone at the coop, and even considered buying commercial property, but there simply is no advantage. That may be a major difference as well beings as though I am on a coop. One thing about it, they issue a check yearly based on the companys profits and it is paid back based on usage. Smiley Perhaps if I were on a pure profit company like Entergy it may be different.

As far as noise goes, I am in the county so no city rules apply and I have acreage so as not to disturb any of my neighbors. Not to mention they all know what I do, and we watch each others back. Smiley

BTW.. What do you consider big? I'm running 600th/s and working on another 500.

Guess what I am saying is, for me, commercial makes no sense as the rates are higher, and you really get no benefit where I am. I have all my farms linked and do stratum up from a server so I see no reason to get 1 massive connection as it stands right now. I am completely fine with multiple sites and my rates. Smiley

Scrap'
yun9999 (OP)

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 06:40:08 AM

@Scrappy - What city are we talking about here?  Please remember most residential houses share 1 transformer / pedestal with others so there is a cap on what you can use and that is usually about 400AMP single phase which is similar to 300 AMP 3 phase.   You can request for higher if they are willing to upgrade but usually most will cap you around that and in a small chance you may get lucky and they will allow more. 

I don't see how you can't get better rate commercially then residential unless it's in city where you are not allowed to choose from multiple vendors like Boston.    In Texas you can actually use power brokers and the more power u use, the cheaper your rates can be.   If you are running ASIC then many sites is not an issue.  If you're running GPU farms, the less sites you have, the better as its' more resource intensive so you want to minimize the travel.  9 cents a kw is hardly a bargain.  If you want to Scale, you need the 6 cents or less.  I find that very hard to get for residential unless you're in the Hydro area of Washington.  For the rest of the USA, it will HAVE TO BE COMMERCIAL AREA.  For residential, you may get lucky for maybe 3-12 months but you can't bet on 36 months or higher.
Scrappy Do

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 08:11:17 AM

@Scrappy - What city are we talking about here?  Please remember most residential houses share 1 transformer / pedestal with others so there is a cap on what you can use and that is usually about 400AMP single phase which is similar to 300 AMP 3 phase.   You can request for higher if they are willing to upgrade but usually most will cap you around that and in a small chance you may get lucky and they will allow more.  

I don't see how you can't get better rate commercially then residential unless it's in city where you are not allowed to choose from multiple vendors like Boston.    In Texas you can actually use power brokers and the more power u use, the cheaper your rates can be.   If you are running ASIC then many sites is not an issue.  If you're running GPU farms, the less sites you have, the better as its' more resource intensive so you want to minimize the travel.  9 cents a kw is hardly a bargain.  If you want to Scale, you need the 6 cents or less.  I find that very hard to get for residential unless you're in the Hydro area of Washington.  For the rest of the USA, it will HAVE TO BE COMMERCIAL AREA.  For residential, you may get lucky for maybe 3-12 months but you can't bet on 36 months or higher.

Cabot AR. By no means am I in a city. I am as rural as it gets. Yes we do share a transformer, luckily I own the house next door and we share it alone. They have upgraded it already.

Again, I am rural. There is no competition, there is no choice. In fact this holds true if I move to a commercial property in the city. Look up First Electric Coop. You will see.

Asics multi farm, GPU's all in one location. 9 cents is in the top 10% lowest rates in the nation. Again we are talking Arkansas. One of the poorest states in the nation. Hell I was paying 8 cents till last year. Sad

Nah 3-12 months my ass, I been in the game since 012. Smiley My Coop has learned what I do, and happy to provide it. Hell, back in 014, they literally were walking around in the yard and I stopped them and said " What's up guys?" They were curious why I was burning so much then. I opened the doors let them come in and clamp to the machines. They saw the draw I was pulling and left me alone. Until..... I needed more power and then they knew me and their engineers keep finding ways to feed me.

Scrap'
Marvell2

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 09:37:09 AM

@ Scrappy Do - It's not always that simple.  Most residential house including mine actually have 125AMP not 200AMP so you're actually lucky to start off with 200AMP.  Even 3000SF homes in TX can have 125AMP services.  It's also not true that commercial rates is higher than residential.  IT all depends on the area.  Commercial TDU or energy charges are much less than residential so say you have 5 cents a kw in Texas, your TDU charges are almost another 4cents per kw in additional making it 9 cents.  Whereas commercial depends on your provider and usage and can be less than 1.5 cents for TDU so for the same place, commercial is much cheaper.   You can also lock in for 3years with commerical.  My home have a residential and commercial meter.  The commercial is much cheaper rate due to lower TDU.   Also there are much more restriction on power and noise at home then commercial including the max your transformer can support, single phase residential vs 3 phase commercial.  3 Phase will give you a lot more wattage for the same amperage used, bar none the most important thing u want to have if you want to scale.   There are pros and cons to both residential and commercial when it comes to cost but if you're going to go big, it makes 100% sense to do commercial vs many home sites due to lower energy cost, better insurance coverage, tax purposes and safety, etc.

I can attest to comercial tda rates being around 50 percent of what i paid for residential , its much cheaper here too

3phase is great an all but not available in most residental zoned areas, you can still get large amps in single phase setups but it will cost you three times as much.
bitcoinguy123

Activity: 36
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 28, 2017, 03:12:39 AM

D3 ARMY!!!!!!!!!

Fun

Looks like lots of fun.  I'm basically working on getting ready for the same thing.  I have 12 coming in about a month, and I've just recently committed to 7 more if all sellers come through. 

I was looking at how you did the PSU's.  Could you or would you recommend doing the same setup of 2x6 rack for PSU's in the front or over top of the D3's.  I just wonder how to do the same setup as you all stacked next to each other.  I guess once I get a few units in hand next week (hopefully) if deals come through then I can start playing Legos with them and build/stack them around lol.

yun9999 (OP)

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 05:36:31 AM

Many different ways depending on how your PSU blows out the heat.  Best to find a way that is both SEXY and can remove heat quick
cavaliersrus

Activity: 735

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 03:43:38 PM

always an informative thread to come back and read and always love the updates yun

orion17

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 05:51:15 PM

************  THERMAL CAMERA *********************************

Got this recommendation from m1n1ngP4d4w4n.  What a wonderful device!  I previously used the Laser Heat gun which was very cheap and great at quick spot checking but nothing like this THERMAL CAMERA!

You can quickly view all the HOTSPOTs.  

Would you provide the brand / model of the thermal camera you are using?  And maybe your thoughts on it now that you have had it awhile?

thanks
orion
yun9999 (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 02:23:04 AM

I bought the SEEK Camera for thermal camera. 
R0mi

Activity: 305
Merit: 148

Theranos Coin - IoT + micro-blood arrays = Moon!

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 02:28:04 AM

Dealing with a warranty issue right now with Parrallel Miner / Centrix.  Do you think this is how you should treat a customer that have purchased over 400 of your PSU and recommended others?  They push the blame / burden on the customer when they failed to put stickers on some of the PSU instead of track via Serial # like everyone else.  They are the only vendors I know of that sells these 2400W PSU.  My previous go to PSU was the IBM 4KW bundle but they are harder to get these days so I went with these due to the flexibility and low prices.  However the 2400W PSU from Parrallel miner are very poor quality and I've had over 40 out of the 400+ failed, they are also very loud under higher than 50% load.   I only requested 20 of the PSU to be replaced because I knew chances will be very low to send in the 40 and get them replaced by a small vendor.  I was willing to eat part of the loss but seeing Albert's response really disappointed even more. 

Look at the response from the vendor.  Looks like they are trying to weasel their way out of replacing the PSU just because cost increased.  When you sell a product they always factor the warranty cost into the profit margin.  A warranty is only worth something if they're actually going to honor their promise.   It's just wrong to say we're low on stock or price is higher so you're out of luck buddy.   There was no credit offer or we'll help you this one time but "our new policy is, yadda yadda.   It also took 3 emails and almost 1 month before Albert would respond to me and only after Joseph from Centrix step in.

Is this how you want to be treated as a customer?  It is always cheaper to take care of your customer than to ruin your reputation and lose even more business thru 1 telling 10 and 10 telling 100 more.  I asked Albert to put himself in my shoes and see if what he's doing is right.  Let's hope he rethink the situation / resolutions.  This is not how you treat your customer large or small.  What's your take on this?   

<snip>

I can't really comment on the Centrix situation, but now I am curious and will check my own Parallel Miner units to see about this "warranty sticker."

One thing that does help with the loud small fans:  add a cheap finned heat sink to the top of the unit (if space allows for it).  Finned aluminum heat sinks from China are very inexpensive through eBay, though they do take 2+ weeks to arrive.

Walton Chain CEO Mo' Bling: "Walton Chain will be the Qualcomm + Cisco in the blockchain industry, the ‘Google’ of the Blockchain."  It's December 1999, do you know how your shitcoin holdings are doing?  Magic 8 ball market analysis: www.doiownashitcoin.com
citronick
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080

---- winter*juvia -----

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 07:40:42 AM

Dealing with a warranty issue right now with Parrallel Miner / Centrix.  Do you think this is how you should treat a customer that have purchased over 400 of your PSU and recommended others?  They push the blame / burden on the customer when they failed to put stickers on some of the PSU instead of track via Serial # like everyone else.  They are the only vendors I know of that sells these 2400W PSU.  My previous go to PSU was the IBM 4KW bundle but they are harder to get these days so I went with these due to the flexibility and low prices.  However the 2400W PSU from Parrallel miner are very poor quality and I've had over 40 out of the 400+ failed, they are also very loud under higher than 50% load.   I only requested 20 of the PSU to be replaced because I knew chances will be very low to send in the 40 and get them replaced by a small vendor.  I was willing to eat part of the loss but seeing Albert's response really disappointed even more. 

Look at the response from the vendor.  Looks like they are trying to weasel their way out of replacing the PSU just because cost increased.  When you sell a product they always factor the warranty cost into the profit margin.  A warranty is only worth something if they're actually going to honor their promise.   It's just wrong to say we're low on stock or price is higher so you're out of luck buddy.   There was no credit offer or we'll help you this one time but "our new policy is, yadda yadda.   It also took 3 emails and almost 1 month before Albert would respond to me and only after Joseph from Centrix step in.

Is this how you want to be treated as a customer?  It is always cheaper to take care of your customer than to ruin your reputation and lose even more business thru 1 telling 10 and 10 telling 100 more.  I asked Albert to put himself in my shoes and see if what he's doing is right.  Let's hope he rethink the situation / resolutions.  This is not how you treat your customer large or small.  What's your take on this?   

<snip>

I can't really comment on the Centrix situation, but now I am curious and will check my own Parallel Miner units to see about this "warranty sticker."

One thing that does help with the loud small fans:  add a cheap finned heat sink to the top of the unit (if space allows for it).  Finned aluminum heat sinks from China are very inexpensive through eBay, though they do take 2+ weeks to arrive.

I use a lot of Deltas, so far no problems.

I hang them (with s-hooks) with exhaust pointing upwards.

This way I can push hot exhaust air upwards.

Very effective.

If I provided you good and useful info or just a smile to your day, consider sending me merit points to further validate this Bitcointalk account ~ useful for future account recovery...
Tidsdilatation

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2017, 05:46:18 PM

<snip>

Very effective.

Really fucking smart man! im gonna try something similuar!!
Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 09:09:15 PM

Very effective.

That is a sweet setup. Due to various reasons it fits our specific needs best to have all of our rigs contained and able to pick up and move the whole rig at once, but I really like the look of this setup for most miners, especially with the S hooks and the Delta PSU hanging that way.
onefinecoin

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 01:14:00 PM

OP, eagerly waiting for updates !!  Angry
toefu

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 02:00:57 PM

yun, i've read through this thread twice already, any chance you can give a summary of things you learned from this experience? i'm planning mine out right now (instead of having miners scattered all around my house)

deadsix

Activity: 751
Merit: 517

Fail to plan, and you plan to fail.

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 02:41:19 PM
Last edit: December 08, 2017, 10:23:13 AM by deadsix

yun, i've read through this thread twice already, any chance you can give a summary of things you learned from this experience? i'm planning mine out right now (instead of having miners scattered all around my house)

How about he comes over to your place and does it all for you, how does that sound?

Ethereum/Zcash/Monero Mining Bangalore https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1703592
m1n1ngP4d4w4n

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

CryptoLearner

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 08:03:12 PM

Been having huge headache with these Crappy D3.  So many of them faulting and ending up with slow hash or only 1 or 2 boards showing up.  I am seeing a lot of forums reporting similar issues but no real fix.  =(

yeah the D3 are trash worse even than the DS9

S9 is a 1 out of 4 failure rate, on my D3 2 out of 4

you need to use that new blitz firmware to reduce power use and heat on the chips otherwise the failures will increase

Where can I get this blitz firmware.

@Citronick - Dash will go past 1K for sure.  No worries on that.

Hey yun, happy to see you're still alive and kickin'  Cool, how's the shed going nowadays ? Smiley

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2346161.0 here for the bliz fw

Cheers mate
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 »
  Print  

Jump to: