Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:17:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... 121 »
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinTracking - Profit/Loss Portfolio and Tax Reporting for Digital Currencies  (Read 121763 times)
Dario3000 (OP)

Activity: 760
Merit: 516

CoinTracking - Crypto Portfolio & Tax Management

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2017, 12:45:50 PM

@Steve,
For Coinbase and Bittrex they are unfortunately not listed in the CSV file.
But the Bittrex API import can read out deposits and withdrawals.

If you know the BTC Address or Extended Public Key, Ledger Nano created for you, you can import the transactions using the "Bitcoin Wallet Import".

@Tim,
Thanks a lot. I will try to included those features.

Sees like there are not allowed characters in some of your entries.
Could be a comment or a trade-id.
I have done some fixes. Can you please check again.
If it's still not working, can you please send me your CT username as PM and I will fix it asap.

Thanks a lot,
Dario

CoinTracking.info - Your Profit / Loss Portfolio Monitor and Tax Calculator for all Digital Currencies
Simply the best way to track your digital assets accurately. Get live data for more than 5000 coins, assets and commodities. Track Gains & Balances from all your exchanges and wallets.
Need help? CoinTracking FAQ

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Arkaen

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2017, 01:06:54 PM

@Tim,
Thanks a lot. I will try to included those features.

Sees like there are not allowed characters in some of your entries.
Could be a comment or a trade-id.
I have done some fixes. Can you please check again.
If it's still not working, can you please send me your CT username as PM and I will fix it asap.

Thanks a lot,
Dario

Thanks for the fast reply, Dario. It was caused by the ~ symbol I used in a trade description. All working now.

Just a thought on the new dashboard layout you proposed: Decreasing the height of the total value chart, e.g., giving it a 3:2 aspect ratio rather than 1:1, might help the visualization in the long run. With a few years worth of data, the time compression and amplitude scaling of a 1:1 chart may look odd given how steeply these markets can climb and fall. This would also mean more of the chart is visible without scrolling, for people with smaller screens.

Your discretion, of course. Right now my data looks fine, whether it's 1:1 or 3:2.
Dario3000 (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2017, 01:12:12 PM

giving it a 3:2 aspect ratio rather than 1:1, might help the visualization in the long run.
Done Smiley

CoinTracking.info - Your Profit / Loss Portfolio Monitor and Tax Calculator for all Digital Currencies
Simply the best way to track your digital assets accurately. Get live data for more than 5000 coins, assets and commodities. Track Gains & Balances from all your exchanges and wallets.
Arkaen

Activity: 31

View Profile
May 14, 2017, 01:26:59 PM

giving it a 3:2 aspect ratio rather than 1:1, might help the visualization in the long run.
Done Smiley

Nice! I like it.
sgjenks01

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 14, 2017, 09:47:25 PM

Dario said:

Re transfers between exchanges and wallets:
For Coinbase and Bittrex they are unfortunately not listed in the CSV file.
But the Bittrex API import can read out deposits and withdrawals.

If you know the BTC Address or Extended Public Key, Ledger Nano created for you, you can import the transactions using the "Bitcoin Wallet Import".

I used the Bittrex API import and it added some lines of transactions, so I think we're good with Bittrex.

However, when I tried to do the "Bitcoin Wallet Import", using the Extended Public Key from the Ledger Nano S, nothing happened (0 imports reported). I also used the "receive" Bitcoin address from the Ledger Nano S and also got zero imports.

Any ideas?

Steve
Dario3000 (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2017, 10:33:36 PM

I used the Bittrex API import and it added some lines of transactions, so I think we're good with Bittrex.

However, when I tried to do the "Bitcoin Wallet Import", using the Extended Public Key from the Ledger Nano S, nothing happened (0 imports reported). I also used the "receive" Bitcoin address from the Ledger Nano S and also got zero imports.

Any ideas?

Steve

Hey Steve,
The Extended Public Key can only import new transactions.
This means, all tx from now on will be imported, but not the past tx.

However the transaction import will handle ALL transactions.
Are you sure your "receive" address was correct?
You can check your address for example here: blockchain.info/de/address/YOUR-ADDRESS
All transactions shown there will be imported by CoinTracking.

Best,
Dario

sgjenks01

View Profile
May 14, 2017, 11:20:41 PM

Dario,
I checked the "receive" address on a checker I found using Google ( https://thomas.vanhoutte.be/tools/validate-bitcoin-address.php ). It said it's a valid address, but when I asked to show transactions for this address on the blockchain, nothing showed up. I don't know which address CoinTracking used, but it picked up my purchase of CoinTracking Pro from the Ledger Nano S wallet. This is the Bitcoin Receive Address for the wallet: 12wiP3bVZ59aBzr1P9tW3c4FErNnwiyh7x

It makes no sense that there are no transactions showing on the blockchain for that address. It's the address I gave to Coinbase and Bittrex to put the BTC in the wallet in the first place.

The result of all this is that CoinTracking shows that my wallet has a negative balance. It also shows that I have BTC and LTC at Coinbase when all my balances at Coinbase are zero because I transferred those balances to either Bittrex or the Ledger Nano S wallet. All the Bittrex balances shown in CoinTracking are correct. It's the wallet and Coinbase balances that are wrong for both BTC and LTC.

Nobody told us that we would have to become our own bankers and accountants in this brave new world of cryptocurrencies.  Undecided

Thanks,

Steve

Dario3000 (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2017, 12:32:52 AM

Hey,
I've never used a Ledger Nano wallet, so I'm not sure how they generate them.
Maybe it's just a forwarding address or a unused one?

It could be easier for you to just enter your Coinbase withdrawals and your wallet deposits manually Smiley

sgjenks01

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 08:04:39 PM

Hey,
I've never used a Ledger Nano wallet, so I'm not sure how they generate them.
Maybe it's just a forwarding address or a unused one?

It could be easier for you to just enter your Coinbase withdrawals and your wallet deposits manually Smiley

Dario,
Great minds think alike. I had already started putting them in by the time you wrote this.  Cheesy

I'm just glad I found this great tool before I had hundreds of transactions. Even if I always have to put in the transactions to and from the wallet, this is just so much better than trying to keep things on a spreadsheet! And you guys just keep improving it, which is just awesome.

Thank you for your support and for such a great tool.

Steve

Dario3000 (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2017, 08:14:00 PM

Dario,
Great minds think alike. I had already started putting them in by the time you wrote this.  Cheesy

I'm just glad I found this great tool before I had hundreds of transactions. Even if I always have to put in the transactions to and from the wallet, this is just so much better than trying to keep things on a spreadsheet! And you guys just keep improving it, which is just awesome.

Thank you for your support and for such a great tool.

Steve

Thanks a lot Steve,
Really appreciate it.

BTW:
I have created today a new wallet import for over 200 different currencies (LTC, DASH, ...).
I'm finalizing it right now and will publish it tomorrow.
I guess that's a big help for all the miners out there Smiley

Dario

sgjenks01

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 02:47:46 AM

Dario,
Especially if the wallet plays nicely with CoinTracking!

By the way, do you know of any exchanges where it's possible to trade "cross pairs". In other words, trade LTC for XRP for example. At Bittrix, it appears that I have to trade the LTC for BTC and then buy the XRP with the BTC, which makes for 2 trades instead of one.  Undecided

Thanks,

Steve
Bermuda666

Activity: 85

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2017, 03:03:18 AM
Last edit: May 16, 2017, 03:47:28 AM by Bermuda666

Dario,
Especially if the wallet plays nicely with CoinTracking!

By the way, do you know of any exchanges where it's possible to trade "cross pairs". In other words, trade LTC for XRP for example. At Bittrix, it appears that I have to trade the LTC for BTC and then buy the XRP with the BTC, which makes for 2 trades instead of one.  Undecided

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,

there is shapeshift.io for example. You can trade many Cryptocurrencies there for each other, in a direct way. It´s a pretty handy solution.
I guess the price is a bit higher, but it´s really easy to do. There are more Websites like it out there.

I know in their early days Vircurex tried to build their exchange this way, but as i know, it wasn´t successfull, plus it´s of course not the most trustworthy exchange out there.

Smiley Best regards
Keven

CoinTracking.info - Your personal Profit / Loss Portfolio Monitor and Tax Tool for all Digital Coins
- Now over 20% Discount on our Lifetime plans (Limited Time)
- 5% Discount when paying in Bitcoin, plus an additional 10% Discount on all plans by using this link: bit.ly/rebate-ct
enteleca

Activity: 5

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 04:53:30 AM

Hi,

I just purchased an unlimited copy of your software!

I implemented my tradehistory file for the Poloniex exchange.

It turns out I have a -$300,000 loss and a -$119,000 tax to pay.

I actually don't.

I read on your support and FAQ that the problem is likely to be deposits and withdrawals and the mix of my margin trading and regular trading.

I understand that you must manually enter deposits and withdrawals, but could you guide me on exactly how I do that on the Poloniex TradeHistory file? Thanks so much.

I will separate my margin trading and regular trading afterwards.
sgjenks01

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 06:45:16 AM

@kevin

ShapeShift.io is exactly what I was looking for. You get to keep the coins in your personal wallet and make the trade while only paying miner fees. It appears that ShapeShift.io doesn't take any commission!

I'm impressed! Thanks for the heads-up!

Steve
Dario3000 (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2017, 11:00:44 AM

[...]
I read on your support and FAQ that the problem is likely to be deposits and withdrawals and the mix of my margin trading and regular trading.
I understand that you must manually enter deposits and withdrawals, but could you guide me on exactly how I do that on the Poloniex TradeHistory file? Thanks so much.

Hey enteleca,

Thanks a lot.
First of all, is Poloniex the only exchange you have ever used, or are there any other exchanges you have bought coins?
If that's the case, you need to add those trades as well.

The Poloniex CSV only contains trades.
But you could use the API import of Poloniex.
It can import deposits and withdrawals as well.

However, since deposits and withdrawals are not relevant for the gain calculation, I would guess, that some trades are missing in your account.
Can you please ensure you have imported them all.

@Steve:
I'm glad to hear that Smiley

BTW:
Keven (Bermuda666) is our new CoinTracking support guy.
He supports me in answering posts here on bitcointalk and in our support desk, so I can focus on adding new features.
It's his second day, so be nice to him Smiley

Dario

sgjenks01

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 06:52:31 PM

@kevin

ShapeShift.io is exactly what I was looking for. You get to keep the coins in your personal wallet and make the trade while only paying miner fees. It appears that ShapeShift.io doesn't take any commission!

I'm impressed! Thanks for the heads-up!

Steve

@Kevin,
I found another site that works this way. It's called 'Changelly'. I guess I have to try them both vs Bittrex to see what cost, exchange rate and speed are like. At Changely you don't even have to identify who you are: Just give them the wallet address of the coin you want to sell and tell them the coin you want to buy and what wallet to send it to.

Speaking of wallets, how is Dario's release of his multi-currency wallet coming along?

Thanks,

Steve
Dario3000 (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2017, 06:58:25 PM

Speaking of wallets, how is Dario's release of his multi-currency wallet coming along?
Just released it a few minutes ago Smiley
Enter Coins -> Altcoin Wallet Import

enteleca

Activity: 5

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 08:36:51 PM

[...]

Hey enteleca,

Thanks a lot.
First of all, is Poloniex the only exchange you have ever used, or are there any other exchanges you have bought coins?
If that's the case, you need to add those trades as well.

The Poloniex CSV only contains trades.
But you could use the API import of Poloniex.
It can import deposits and withdrawals as well.

However, since deposits and withdrawals are not relevant for the gain calculation, I would guess, that some trades are missing in your account.
Can you please ensure you have imported them all.

Hey, that's a great point, thanks for the quick reply!
I imported my GDAX trades also now.

I now have however a very (fake) positive gain with more taxes than I actually made.
My question now is how do I separate my regular trades and margin trades now that I have both GDAX and Poloniex logged onto the tracker?

I see that I can separate from exchanges (GDAX and Poloniex) and the group (Poloniex Margin) but I'm still getting plenty of errors that say "there is no suitable purchase to this sale."

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Dario3000 (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2017, 10:05:37 PM

I see that I can separate from exchanges (GDAX and Poloniex) and the group (Poloniex Margin) but I'm still getting plenty of errors that say "there is no suitable purchase to this sale."

Calculating single exchanges will probably lead to missing purchases.
Especially when you're moving coins from one exchange to another.

But you could exclude your margin trades from the tax report by selecting "all without a group" in the "group" selector.
This will only calculate your regular trades.

Dario

baam25

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 11:33:28 PM

the site is beautiful  Grin but i think its too expensive....any thoughts on lowering the price?

as the price of bitcoin goes up, the more expensive it gets

thanks and thank you for your hard work
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... 121 »
  Print  

Jump to: