Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 08:58:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 266 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMINER Speculation Thread  (Read 808627 times)
str4wm4n
Legendary

Activity: 1611
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 08:58:17 PM

Daily Dividends would be unbelievably awesome  Shocked
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 09:00:14 PM

Daily dividends are simply a way to compete with existing passthroughs for potential shareholder's BTC. There is far more risk & busy work associated with it, too, so expect to have to charge substantial fees if you set this up.

Busy work??? You know computers are good to make this kind of tasks automatic?  Cheesy
I'd write a script to make all this in 10mn. Actually with enough initial investment it's a pretty good idea! Gosh, why am I so busy!!!  Angry

Busywork =
Replying to nagging shareholders:
"Where are my dividends?"
"When will I receive my dividends?"
"Why are my dividends so small today?"

Filling out applications for listing on bitfunder or BTC-TC.
Explaining to Bitfunder/BTC-TC why this is necessary, and proving that you are not going to SCAM shareholders.

Good point, I have to admit I may underestimate all this.

Few people have the reputation  and collateral to get a complicated passthrough like this listed on BTC-TC.

Yes, that requires for sure a large initial investment (in the form of collateral but also to get direct shares). So at least for this reason, I cannot!  Sad

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
Rival

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 09:17:00 PM

Are there really people in favor of clogging up the blockchain with microtransactions just so that they could get a daily dividend? I don't believe this would be in the best interest of bitcoin, and therefore not in the best interest of AM.
binaryFate
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 09:20:01 PM

Are there really people in favor of clogging up the blockchain with microtransactions just so that they could get a daily dividend? I don't believe this would be in the best interest of bitcoin, and therefore not in the best interest of AM.

What, what? One transaction per day would be "clogging up"?  Huh

Exocyst

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

Science!

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 09:21:17 PM

Let me put the final nails in this.

1st, ASICMINER generates profits in another way as well: Specifically, Hardware sales. Friedcat, so far, has chosen not publish the address for hardware sales, which means that the last day of each week, the mythical DAILY-AM-PT will have significantly higher dividends than other days. This would create interesting episodic price valuations, but not the kind shareholders would enjoy.

2nd, ASICMINER spends BTC on expenses too—which means calculating the daily dividends by coins tallied in ASICMINER mining wallets could be a huge risk for the pass through operator when Friedcat invests in new datacenter leases, chip orders, board orders, assembly, etc.

Basically, this idea is not possible unless ASICMINER undergoes a major shift towards transparent daily accounting, which Friedcat is very unlikely to do given his past behavior (which is certainly no indictment of his actions, he should spend his time otherwise).

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 09:22:51 PM

That only leaves 99.999998347% of the maximum transaction volume for the rest of the network!!!!!

Yes, this is including the current 1MB/block cap.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
TECHICENINE

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 09:23:33 PM

we have faith satoshi can handle it...piece of cake..thanks
binaryFate
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 09:26:18 PM

That only leaves 99.999998347% of the maximum transaction volume for the rest of the network!!!!!

Yes, this is including the current 1MB/block cap.

I think Rival didn't get that you can pay multiple addresses in one single transaction.

binaryFate
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 09:30:31 PM

1st, ASICMINER generates profits in another way as well: Specifically, Hardware sales. Friedcat, so far, has chosen not publish the address for hardware sales, which means that the last day of each week, the mythical DAILY-AM-PT will have significantly higher dividends than other days. This would create interesting episodic price valuations, but not the kind shareholders would enjoy.

2nd, ASICMINER spends BTC on expenses too—which means calculating the daily dividends by coins tallied in ASICMINER mining wallets could be a huge risk for the pass through operator when Friedcat invests in new datacenter leases, chip orders, board orders, assembly, etc.

Basically, this idea is not possible unless ASICMINER undergoes a major shift towards transparent daily accounting, which Friedcat is very unlikely to do given his past behavior (which is certainly no indictment of his actions, he should spend his time otherwise).

That's not how I understood the concept of "the mythical DAILY-AM-PT". On each wednesday I would just divide the dividends per 7 and spread them to share holders. So from wednesday on, they have a perfect visibility of future dividends until the next wednesday. In other words, it would pay previous week divs but flatten "per day", rather than paying future week based on any unsure speculation of future divs.

Exocyst

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

Science!

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 09:39:09 PM

That's not how I understood the concept of "the mythical DAILY-AM-PT". On each wednesday I would just divide the dividends per 7 and spread them to share holders. So from wednesday on, they have a perfect visibility of future dividends until the next wednesday. In other words, it would pay previous week divs but flatten "per day", rather than paying future week based on any unsure speculation of future divs.

As you have described it, basically people have to wait 14 days for their complete dividend instead of 7.

How is this an improvement?

binaryFate
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 09:47:49 PM

As you have described it, basically people have to wait 14 days for their complete dividend instead of 7.

How is this an improvement?

Well, I'm not claiming it's an improvement, it's just different.

Imagine that you buy a DAILY-AM-PT on Thursday, you would still have 6 days of divs in front of you, while with the current ones you would not get anything until next week (the previous owner get all the week dividend before selling you).
So when you say "basically people have to wait 14 days for their complete dividend instead of 7", I agree  with you as long as "people" refer to people keeping their shares for all this time. But if you buy/sell, the game is just different, and your "basically" does not apply.

Again, I'm not claiming it has any interest. But I do believe it is different and not necessarily worse or stupid.

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 09:53:00 PM

I guess it would be interesting from another viewpoint
Compares all other daily mining funds/PMB's value vs an ASIC / 7 lol

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Diamondstarfall

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 09:54:55 PM

What are your thoughts on ASICMINER against AMC.

AMC is due for an announcement, and AMC stock rose way over 60% within hours
ThickAsThieves

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 09:55:42 PM

You guys are way overcomplicating this. Honestly, it would not be that hard for me to make TAT.ASICMINER behave this way. The only true issue is how to handle when AM withholds divs, and that would just mean I'd have to withhold divs til the difference was repaid.

I'm NOT saying that I plan to start daily divs for TAT.AM, merely that I could.
TECHICENINE

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 09:57:36 PM

You guys are way overcomplicating this. Honestly, it would not be that hard for me to make TAT.ASICMINER behave this way. The only true issue is how to handle when AM withholds divs, and that would just mean I'd have to withhold divs til the difference was repaid.

I'm NOT saying that I plan to start daily divs for TAT.AM, merely that I could.

how do we buy in to go short your passthroughs?..thanks
stereotype
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 10:15:37 PM

What are your thoughts on ASICMINER against AMC.

AMC is due for an announcement, and AMC stock rose way over 60% within hours

AMC is a personal ATM for Kslaughter and nothing else.  I have explained that many times.

All the benefits of the shares go to his independent company VMC which you don't own.

Plus he is selling the shares at ~35 times the value of the company.

Just to put icing on the cake, he has been caught manipulating the share prices.

Or, people can make their own mind up, by clicking 'details'.... https://btct.co/security/AMC-PT
ThickAsThieves

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 10:22:42 PM

For anyone looking for something other than AM to invest in, you might consider this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=242962.0

I am in no way affiliated with them, nor am I invested. I just think the market needs more than one place to put our money, and I'm glad to see something that might fit the bill.
tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 10:37:15 PM

For anyone looking for something other than AM to invest in, you might consider this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=242962.0

I am in no way affiliated with them, nor am I invested. I just think the market needs more than one place to put our money, and I'm glad to see something that might fit the bill.

Wish there were other Bitcoin related investments apart from mining and gambling.

The only other things you can invest in are "real world" companies like the gold exploration company and the rental service and the t-shirt company.

Why can't you invest in Bitpay, MT.Gox, Bitstamp, etc with BTC?
ThickAsThieves

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 10:38:26 PM

Because they don't need our money.
nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 10:40:18 PM

Wish there were other Bitcoin related investments apart from mining and gambling.

The only other things you can invest in are "real world" companies like the gold exploration company and the rental service and the t-shirt company.

Because
1. They don't want or need your money
2. They don't want or need the hassle of one gazillion entitled investors
3. All of the Bitcoin "exchanges" are varying degrees of sketchy
4. They're high-profile enough to need to avoid legal bullshit
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 266 »
  Print  

Jump to: