Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 01:33:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... 148 »
  Print  
Author Topic: DRILLBIT SYSTEM Miners - Avalon range available - Now $104.99!  (Read 273596 times)
Barntech (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 07:35:13 AM

Barntech - Good job on communicating things in a timely manner. I appreciate your availability in the thread and trying to maintain the great vibe. Where there is money, there will often be trouble as we have seen with many GB's recently. Sometimes intentional and sometimes just because - opinions go in different directions.

Really looking forward to seeing these boards produced. Will be nice to have something outside of an overpriced Erupter and a Jalapeno (if it ever gets here). It looks like you really do care and most of us here do appreciate that. Let that sink in...   The good feelings are still here.  Grin

The other group buys where you don't actually have the miner but are chipping in are a nice way in to mining but having the rig potentially nearby and
ready for "playing around", overclocking, ,supporting the network, doing some systadmin (past IT guy here), etc. is what drove me to getting into your GB.

All the best and keep up the GREAT work,
Its about sharing

Thanks IAS.

Much appreciated. Its nice to get some good feedack. I have appreciated your input from the beginning. Thank you. Its been an intense little period. Nice to get some kind words.

Now that the auction is done, i'll get the thumbs pumping again, and then we're basically onto the exciting part of the whole mission which is seeing the boards come to life. Can't wait to share it with you guys. The next couple weeks will be awesome.

Barntech
vulgartrendkill

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2013, 07:40:15 AM

Barntech - Good job on communicating things in a timely manner. I appreciate your availability in the thread and trying to maintain the great vibe. Where there is money, there will often be trouble as we have seen with many GB's recently. Sometimes intentional and sometimes just because - opinions go in different directions.

Really looking forward to seeing these boards produced. Will be nice to have something outside of an overpriced Erupter and a Jalapeno (if it ever gets here). It looks like you really do care and most of us here do appreciate that. Let that sink in...   The good feelings are still here.  Grin

The other group buys where you don't actually have the miner but are chipping in are a nice way in to mining but having the rig potentially nearby and
ready for "playing around", overclocking, ,supporting the network, doing some systadmin (past IT guy here), etc. is what drove me to getting into your GB.

All the best and keep up the GREAT work,
Its about sharing

Thanks IAS.

Much appreciated. Its nice to get some good feedack. I have appreciated your input from the beginning. Thank you. Its been an intense little period. Nice to get some kind words.

Now that the auction is done, i'll get the thumbs pumping again, and then we're basically onto the exciting part of the whole mission which is seeing the boards come to life. Can't wait to share it with you guys. The next couple weeks will be awesome.

Barntech

Barntech,

I'd like to add my thanks also. Its been great communication and admin from you so far.  I'd just like to ask one thing.

With the first batch of Bitfury chips just about hashing, have you had any assurances that the chips we will get (which I assume are of a different batch) will meet the specs agreed?  I am of the understanding that the current ones are not hashing as expected just yet.

Thanks

erk

Activity: 826

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 07:45:11 AM

With the first batch of Bitfury chips just about hashing, have you had any assurances that the chips we will get (which I assume are of a different batch) will meet the specs agreed?  I am ofther understand that the current ones are not hashing as expected just yet.

Thanks

You send them back under warranty if they don't work properly.

console_cowboy

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 08:01:43 AM

I just want to say, I see absolutely no problem with the last of chips going up to auction. Barntech priced their boards at a fantastic price, and I am amazed they lasted as long as they did before selling out. Everyone had a chance to purchase the boards, and if they chose not to purchase them for the price, their loss. Very few people in this community have been as open and enthusiastic about a project. It was quite refreshing to see this attitude in bitcoin mining after BitSynCom, BFL, and even overpriced Asicminer. I am very hopeful that Barntech will continue the good work and have great success with these boards and future designs.

Now that being said, I can't wait to see the test boards! Any word on when those should be done? I can't wait to see the finished design hashing and overclocking.

P.S.- Hope you get some good board art on there. I'm always a sucker for a cool pcb design.

voxelot

Activity: 265

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 08:22:18 AM

Hey Vox.

The best and easiest way for you to get your hands on reasonably priced chips would probably have been being friendly with me and not spazzing out all over my threads.  Tongue

Aside from that, Dave is selling them here: https://megabigpower.com/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=33

Barntech

You handle criticism well for someone who is trying to start a legitimate business.  I hope you continue to name call and curse at all potential clients in the future.

I would rather go directly to the source in the UK than order anything from my home country USA.

http://www.bitfurystrikesback.com/shop/ and pay more.

Better yet why don't i talk to bitfury.. they seem logical enough. Ohh wait bitfury is a group of unknown people...
vulgartrendkill

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2013, 08:29:40 AM

Hey Vox.

The best and easiest way for you to get your hands on reasonably priced chips would probably have been being friendly with me and not spazzing out all over my threads.  Tongue

Aside from that, Dave is selling them here: https://megabigpower.com/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=33

Barntech

You handle criticism well for someone who is trying to start a legitimate business.  I hope you continue to name call and curse at all potential clients in the future.

I would rather go directly to the source in the UK than order anything from my home country USA.

Better yet why don't i talk to bitfury.. they seem logical enough. Ohh wait bitfury is a group of unknown people...

If you really think Barntech is name calling and cursing you, then just leave the thread and go talk to Josh at BFL who will do it for real.
davmp

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 08:34:04 AM

Name call and curse?  You've got a warped sense of the world Vox.  Barntech has been very forthcoming with info and been exceptionally patient with you, myself, and everyone.  I'd go into business with him any day given the attitude he's displayed so far!
console_cowboy

Activity: 98

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 08:38:27 AM

Hey Vox.

Barntech

If you really think Barntech is name calling and cursing you, then just leave the thread and go talk to Josh at BFL who will do it for real.

Best way to clean up this thread is for everyone to just click the ignore icon under voxelot's name.

Suddenly the thread is just about technology again!
voxelot

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 08:41:36 AM

Let us please get this thread back to technology... discuss the best ways to get Bitfury chips.. or everyone flame the critic.

Discuss the best ways to keep costs down on 28nm silcon.

Discuss solar energy as on option for lowering overhead costs on kWh consumption
erk

Activity: 826

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 08:46:28 AM

Name call and curse?  You've got a warped sense of the world Vox.  Barntech has been very forthcoming with info and been exceptionally patient with you, myself, and everyone.  I'd go into business with him any day given the attitude he's displayed so far!

I would assume most people have added voxelot to their ignore list by now, I certainly have, it was clear he is just here to troll the thread, nothing constructive will come from him.

http://www.bitfurystrikesback.com/product/bitfury-55nm-asic-by-reel/

Still seems to be chip reels on sale in EU.
voxelot

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 09:03:10 AM
Last edit: August 29, 2013, 10:23:10 AM by voxelot

Name call and curse?  You've got a warped sense of the world Vox.  Barntech has been very forthcoming with info and been exceptionally patient with you, myself, and everyone.  I'd go into business with him any day given the attitude he's displayed so far!

I would assume most people have added voxelot to their ignore list by now, I certainly have, it was clear he is just here to troll the thread, nothing constructive will come from him.

http://www.bitfurystrikesback.com/product/bitfury-55nm-asic-by-reel/

Still seems to be chip reels on sale in EU.

Couldn't you just order one of these instead of going through an American bitfury distro?

http://www.bitfurystrikesback.com/product/bitfury-55nm-asic-h-board-oct-delivery/

or paying $200 more for the same chips in the barntech auction i suppose.

And for comparison.  H board from USA https://megabigpower.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=61

~$600 vs $1300?  That is saving quite a bit to order from the UK correct?...

The advantage here goes to barntech if he sells again at his original prices.  If you do not know what you are doing it could be challenging to stack H boards and barntech has done a great job making 8 chip boards stack-able for you.

Weigh the pro's and con's and your skill levels in mining. Consider Bitfury may never ship.

jlsminingcorp

Activity: 493

Hooray for non-equilibrium thermodynamics!

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 11:38:46 AM

Couldn't you just order one of these instead of going through an American bitfury distro?

http://www.bitfurystrikesback.com/product/bitfury-55nm-asic-h-board-oct-delivery/

And for comparison.  H board from USA https://megabigpower.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=61

The advantage here goes to barntech if he sells again at his original prices.  If you do not know what you are doing it could be challenging to stack H boards and barntech has done a great job making 8 chip boards stack-able for you.

Weigh the pro's and con's and your skill levels in mining. Consider Bitfury may never ship.

I know I shouldn't feed the trolls, but I just can't resist in this case. Voxelot, you seem to have very good intentions and want people to get the best deal, which is great, but I don't understand your calculations. You seem to be a bit mixed up about the hardware on offer too. The H-boards from megabigpower and bitfurystrikesback are not standalone devices, so are not directly comparable with the Drillbit boards. They need to be plugged into the M-board (or if you're a hardcore hacker, your own alternative host pcb) and controlled by an RPi. M-boards are sold in a starter kit (with one H-board) that is quite a bit more expensive than a single H-board - because it's highly upgradable (I'll let you decide if the starter kit is overpriced, but it is what it is). The numbers below may be of interest to you:

H-board (megabigpower) = $500, 4.17 BTC (at $120 per BTC), 25GH/s, ca. 6 GH/s/BTC (Note: not a stand-alone miner)
H-board (bitfurystrikesback) = 390 Euro, $517, 4.31 BTC (at $120 per BTC), 25GH/s, ca. 5.8 GH/s/BTC (Note: not a stand-alone miner)
Starter kit (megabigpower) = $1300, 10.83 BTC (at $120 per BTC), 25GH/s, ca. 2.31 GH/s/BTC
Starter kit (bitfurystrikesback) = 950 Euro, $1260, 10.5 BTC (at $120 per BTC), 25GH/s, ca. 2.38 GH/s/BTC
400 GH/s full miner (megabigpower) = $8000, 66.67 BTC (at $120 per BTC), 400GH/s, ca. 6 GH/s/BTC
400 GH/s full miner (bitfurystrikesback) = 6500 Euro, $8616, 71.8 BTC (at $120 per BTC), 400GH/s, ca. 5.57 GH/s/BTC
Drillbit board (initial price) = $300, 2.5 BTC (at $120 per BTC), 21.6GH/s, ca. 8.64 GH/s/BTC
Drillbit board (max auction price) = $410, 3.42 BTC (at $120 per BTC), 21.6GH/s, ca. 6.32 GH/s/BTC

These numbers are not a completely fair comparison, as VAT is not included (and would be due in many cases e.g. on import into the EU from the USA or Australia or with an EU purchase from bitfurystrikesback) and also shipping is included in the bitfurystrikesback offer, but not the others. However, the numbers above are probably a good start as a rough approximation. Guys in the USA always have the advantage at the moment, as they are not paying sales tax on online purchases from other states (if I understand things correctly).

You can see that the Drillbit offer is a very good one, even at the highest price paid at auction. You are getting roughly the same GH/s/BTC as if you bought a full 400GH/s bitfury miner, but for a fraction of the investment. It seems to me that Barntech's offer has been very fair and his team have dealt with things in a transparent and honest way. They seem to have a strong commitment to their customers and to the community and that's fantastic to see - I seriously think that they are one of the good guys, so give them a break. I have no connection to the Drillbit team by the way (and have not purchased boards from them), so this is no sockpuppetry.

Consider Bitfury may never ship.

Bitfurystrikesback are already shipping August delivery units and megabigpower will be starting to ship next week. People are already posting pictures of their miners hashing (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=250249.msg3025781#msg3025781). We don't know for sure if October units/chips will ship on time, or at all, but this is a pretty encouraging sign.

Bitcoin can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.
BitFury ASIC miner hosted group buy [DONE MINING]
HTML5 Gordon

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 11:48:03 AM

Ah, this thread is pleasant again with a certain someone on ignore.  Wink

Thanks for weathering the storm Barntech, you've done a great job with this GB.

Just got my order in for the USB Drillbit Thumbs.  Looking forward to getting my hands on them!
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 02:49:09 PM

I know I shouldn't feed the trolls, but I just can't resist in this case. Voxelot, you seem to have very good intentions and want people to get the best deal, which is great, but I don't understand your calculations. You seem to be a bit mixed up about the hardware on offer too. The H-boards from megabigpower and bitfurystrikesback are not standalone devices, so are not directly comparable with the Drillbit boards. They need to be plugged into the M-board (or if you're a hardcore hacker, your own alternative host pcb) and controlled by an RPi. M-boards are sold in a starter kit (with one H-board) that is quite a bit more expensive than a single H-board - because it's highly upgradable (I'll let you decide if the starter kit is overpriced, but it is what it is). The numbers below may be of interest to you:

H-board (megabigpower) = $500, 4.17 BTC (at $120 per BTC), 25GH/s, ca. 6 GH/s/BTC (Note: not a stand-alone miner)
H-board (bitfurystrikesback) = 390 Euro, $517, 4.31 BTC (at $120 per BTC), 25GH/s, ca. 5.8 GH/s/BTC (Note: not a stand-alone miner)
Starter kit (megabigpower) = $1300, 10.83 BTC (at $120 per BTC), 25GH/s, ca. 2.31 GH/s/BTC
Starter kit (bitfurystrikesback) = 950 Euro, $1260, 10.5 BTC (at $120 per BTC), 25GH/s, ca. 2.38 GH/s/BTC
400 GH/s full miner (megabigpower) = $8000, 66.67 BTC (at $120 per BTC), 400GH/s, ca. 6 GH/s/BTC
400 GH/s full miner (bitfurystrikesback) = 6500 Euro, $8616, 71.8 BTC (at $120 per BTC), 400GH/s, ca. 5.57 GH/s/BTC
Drillbit board (initial price) = $300, 2.5 BTC (at $120 per BTC), 21.6GH/s, ca. 8.64 GH/s/BTC
Drillbit board (max auction price) = $410, 3.42 BTC (at $120 per BTC), 21.6GH/s, ca. 6.32 GH/s/BTC

These numbers are not a completely fair comparison, as VAT is not included (and would be due in many cases e.g. on import into the EU from the USA or Australia or with an EU purchase from bitfurystrikesback) and also shipping is included in the bitfurystrikesback offer, but not the others. However, the numbers above are probably a good start as a rough approximation. Guys in the USA always have the advantage at the moment, as they are not paying sales tax on online purchases from other states (if I understand things correctly).

You can see that the Drillbit offer is a very good one, even at the highest price paid at auction. You are getting roughly the same GH/s/BTC as if you bought a full 400GH/s bitfury miner, but for a fraction of the investment. It seems to me that Barntech's offer has been very fair and his team have dealt with things in a transparent and honest way. They seem to have a strong commitment to their customers and to the community and that's fantastic to see - I seriously think that they are one of the good guys, so give them a break. I have no connection to the Drillbit team by the way (and have not purchased boards from them), so this is no sockpuppetry.

Consider Bitfury may never ship.

Bitfurystrikesback are already shipping August delivery units and megabigpower will be starting to ship next week. People are already posting pictures of their miners hashing (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=250249.msg3025781#msg3025781). We don't know for sure if October units/chips will ship on time, or at all, but this is a pretty encouraging sign.

Brilliant reply, the same thing (though not as in as much depth) crossed my mind as well. Thanks for taking the time to spread the good vibe!

Its about sharing  Wink

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
Stinky_Pete

Activity: 560

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 02:50:32 PM

Brilliant reply, the same thing (though not as in as much depth) crossed my mind as well. Thanks for taking the time to spread the good vibe!

Its about sharing  Wink

+1

milkbottlec

Activity: 95

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 04:17:18 PM

I notice you have stated it will be running in 2G. How high have your team achieved for the USB at the moment? (with & without extra cooling)
Just a quick idea for me/us, don't need to be 100% sure.

Will be handling Drillbit System UK/EU replacement components soon (waiting to confirm details, stay tunes)
If I helped you and could pop me some treats for this Christmas, donate some BTC to: 1QEhKaUnFoEBaWmXsrE5AUvbAt95254DXr
forevernoob

Activity: 687

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 05:24:20 PM

AFAIK, Barntech is the only one offering a Bitfury miner under 600$ that is working out of the box.
All the others are a bit more DIY.

Micky25
Legendary

Activity: 974
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 06:03:15 PM

You handle criticism well for someone who is trying to start a legitimate business.  I hope you continue to name call and curse at all potential clients in the future.

Sorry, couldn't resist, one-time misconduct, promise!  Cheesy
jlsminingcorp

Activity: 493

Hooray for non-equilibrium thermodynamics!

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 06:09:49 PM

Its about sharing  Wink

Well it's been a crazy few months in ASICland, with some high and some pretty low points (and we've got some interesting times ahead for sure Wink). I'm not sure about everybody else, but I've been particularly inspired by the skill, hard work, community spirit, openness and so on of many of the community and the DIY miner projects from people like Barntech, Burnin, BKKcoins, cscape, intron, Bitcoinza and many others (too many to list really - sorry if I haven't listed you specifically) are a really good example of this I think. I for one have a great deal of respect for them all. I've been a little disappointed recently that the (completely understandable) frustration of those who have been on the receiving end of some crap treatment by one company or another unfortunately let it boil over to those who are actually trying to conduct their businesses/projects etc. honestly. Anyway, as your signature suggests, "it's all about sharing" and isn't it better if we're having fun in all of this? Let's go hug some trees Grin.

(By the way, I do appreciate that this is a serious business for those with large stakes, relative to their incomes, in mining. My comments above may seem rather flippant to you guys, so sorry. I do hope things work out for you.)

Bitcoin can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.
BitFury ASIC miner hosted group buy [DONE MINING]
vulgartrendkill

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2013, 07:13:50 PM

Ok, so I`ve been looking at the boards and other threads re cooling the individual boards for bitfury chips. Would something like the Raspberry Pi things you get on ebay (plus fans of course) suffice or are we talking a full on noctua cpu cooler in order to get 2.7 gh\s per chip?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... 148 »
  Print  

Jump to: