Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 11:01:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 ... 148 »
  Print  
Author Topic: DRILLBIT SYSTEM Miners - Avalon range available - Now $104.99!  (Read 273553 times)
erk

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 11:41:39 AM

I have read that bitfury are reducing the cost of the chips for their v2 boards, and so this is possibly where the price drop has started.  Why they would put the price up and then immediately down is anyones guess.

Still its great to know they do have the communities interests at heart.

While KNC have done well, it appears as if in order to get out the gate first, their firmware and some components have been sub par.  You just have to look at the number of firmware updates already and some customers stating their machines chips are running at 83 degrees c.  Then again, this is their first foray into design and build for asics and issues like this will crop up no matter how much you test.

I'm sure all the legit companies mean well (possibly excluding BFL who seem to find it amusing to screw over customers)
I was looking on the megapower site and the price of chip reels is 50% higher than it was a month ago. This strikes me as odd in a market where prices are falling rapidly and ROI is getting harder by the day.

KNCminer where under pressure to get their goods out, in essence they skipped the beta testing phase. Had they done tape out a couple of weeks earlier, that wouldn't have happened. The entire problem with ASIC mining is the rush, unfortunately haste makes waste. In the case of Bitfury, the chips have been around for quite a while now, it's a different game from KNC, they have made back all their R&D costs many times over, it's just profit now, so I can't see why the chip price doesn't reflect that. There is someone being greedy I feel.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 11:51:19 AM

when is b2 ready to ship? Its a shame prices went up... at $425 & current BTC price...these things will never ROI =/

To be fair, it's the same all over and who is actually delivering on time? KNC Miner has been cool but are a little behind. Bitfury is on schedule I believe. BFL is a NO GO. Avalon we don't trust. Etc.

I see Barntech is working on a price drop now - very nice of you and I hope Bitfury cooperates!

I think DIY'ers are between a rock and a hard place. The companies that make chips also sell machines (for the most part) and they don't want to undercut themselves. (Yes, sort of a monopoly)
Just look at the hash rates between companies - they are trying to keep it tight it seems. KNC Miner recently changed that but they are in a unique position to. Hopefully that lights a fire under Bitfury and the other companies. Competition here is great. Hopefully more work for Barntech.

Hoping our chips come late this week or early next! Keep on keepin on Barntech,
IAS

I have read that bitfury are reducing the cost of the chips for their v2 boards, and so this is possibly where the price drop has started.  Why they would put the price up and then immediately down is anyones guess.

Still its great to know they do have the communities interests at heart.

While KNC have done well, it appears as if in order to get out the gate first, their firmware and some components have been sub par.  You just have to look at the number of firmware updates already and some customers stating their machines chips are running at 83 degrees c.  Then again, this is their first foray into design and build for asics and issues like this will crop up no matter how much you test.

I'm sure all the legit companies mean well (possibly excluding BFL who seem to find it amusing to screw over customers)

Well the bolded is great news and new to me. It makes sense. Even going back a month ago, look at how the prices on erupter blades were slashed - That KILLED BFL's Jalapeno's THE SAME DAY. I could buy one the same day for around what I paid for my 7Ghash/s Jalapeno AND get 10+ Ghash/s.(And since I paid with BTC I have no chance of a refund as Josh at BFL and BFL are not even responding to refund requests.) Most recently KNC Miner upped the 400Ghash/s units to 500-576Ghash/s range. When Barntech was selling the 1st boards, they were cheaper per Ghash/s than EVERYONE's. Not saying that is why chip prices were upped, but it is good to now be out of the firing line, if you know what I mean. Anyway, I hope it benefits both us and Barntech for taking a chance on eachother in a sense.

Yeah, KNC shipped things quickly. But I think you might know that what they did was unheard of. The design and implimentation for a scale that large was just insane and then they got the chips one day and basically were shipping the next (And Josh at BFL said "you will be waiting a long time" regarding KNC Miner - didn't think it was possible - great to see :-) ). Regarding the problem - Not an excuse for Firmware that lacks, but at least a good sign that "Look what we can do." Not to be personal with BFL, but they have F'd so many people over. And Josh's unprofessionalism along with that has all but cost them repeat customers. They will need to really do something special to survive. He posted over on their forum (regarding delays) "We are a hardware company". That made no sense...

I really hope that Barntech can do something and be allowed to do something going forward. People and companies like BFL should be pushed aside. Again, not meaning to make this personal, but well, it is...

IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
Barntech (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 12:45:56 PM

Why Bitfury would put their price up and then down again straight away (not that they have actually done this yet) is because no one is buying them. I honestly believe that no one would have bought a reel at $90,000. I'd be interested to know. Putting prices UP in the asic game is crazy. ASICminer are the perfect example of how to do it right. They have been constantly lowering their prices in accordance with the rising difficulty making their products continuously competitive, and they have kept selling, hell people are STILL buying their thumbs, which is quite remarkable. Essentially, this is the way things have to go in asic land if you want to keep selling your stuff.

Instead Bitfury went the other way. I think they probably fucked themselves over pretty hard with that move. It's a shame because it sort of stuffed us around too. There was a great momentum with this project, then they put the prices up crazy high so it was definitely not worth it and so in turn we had to stop, then they came back with their current prices, which is still much too high but at least potentially viable, but basically not many people have been jumping on batch two, because really its pretty expensive. If they hadn't done this i believe we'd be into batch 3 or 4 by now.

But hey, things are about to change. Thankfully the whole landscape is soon to be not so monopolized and the asic manufacturers are going to have to get the prices down to stay competitive with each other. Hopefully this will mean we can continue to make competitively priced miners for all of you moving into the future.

That's enough of a rant from me for now. Got some exciting news for you all real soon.  Grin

Bartech
erk

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 12:55:39 PM

Why Bitfury would put their price up and then down again straight away (not that they have actually done this yet) is because no one is buying them. I honestly believe that no one would have bought a reel at $90,000. I'd be interested to know. Putting prices UP in the asic game is crazy. ASICminer are the perfect example of how to do it right. They have been constantly lowering their prices in accordance with the rising difficulty making their products continuously competitive, and they have kept selling, hell people are STILL buying their thumbs, which is quite remarkable. Essentially, this is the way things have to go in asic land if you want to keep selling your stuff.

Instead Bitfury went the other way. I think they probably fucked themselves over pretty hard with that move. It's a shame because it sort of stuffed us around too. There was a great momentum with this project, then they put the prices up crazy high so it was definitely not worth it and so in turn we had to stop, then they came back with their current prices, which is still much too high but at least potentially viable, but basically not many people have been jumping on batch two, because really its pretty expensive. If they hadn't done this i believe we'd be into batch 3 or 4 by now.

But hey, things are about to change. Thankfully the whole landscape is soon to be not so monopolized and the asic manufacturers are going to have to get the prices down to stay competitive with each other. Hopefully this will mean we can continue to make competitively priced miners for all of you moving into the future.

That's enough of a rant from me for now. Got some exciting news for you all real soon.  Grin

Bartech

I agree with every point, I would have participated in batch #2 if it were cheaper, unfortunately in Australia we are victims of $0.26c/kWh electricity, so we can't absorb the price difference like someone overseas only paying $0.15c or less.

Also I think once batch #1 ships and people are tinkering/chatting about them like they do with all ASICs, then that kicks of a round of buys from other people that want to see real world performance etc. before they will commit to order.

vulgartrendkill

Activity: 518

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 01:06:20 PM

Got some exciting news for you all real soon.  Grin

Bartech

You blooming tease!  Grin Grin Embarrassed
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 01:23:42 PM

That's enough of a rant from me for now. Got some exciting news for you all real soon.  Grin

Bartech

Missed that last part - Thanks Vulgartrendkill  Wink

Agree with your comments as well Barntech. I forgot the company name regarding the erupters and blades I mentioned, but yes, they sure helped gettings things going in the right direction (and they were charging a ton prior - BUT they saw the market and adjusted. I hope more follow.

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
Zeek_W

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 01:27:42 PM

Bartech

Grrr! You cheeky bugger! Just as I was going to bed. Know you and your posting habits being mostly middle of the night I guess I will find out some great news in the morning when I get to work. Also check your PM on the other forum.

vulgartrendkill

Activity: 518

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 01:51:37 PM

I must admit, I bought 2 blades just as the price dropped.  I still cant comprehend how much folks spend on these mining thingamabobs.  Someone over on the KNC thread bought 11 (ELEVEN!!!) Jupiters.

Thats way more than I get paid a year for my 9-5 job. Waaay more.

The 2 blades get me about $9 per day and have been running 24/7 for about 2 weeks

I just about squeezed enough for approx 195gh/s hash power in total but thats it, I'm living on toast for a year.

Good thing I like toast huh?
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 01:59:26 PM

I must admit, I bought 2 blades just as the price dropped.  I still cant comprehend how much folks spend on these mining thingamabobs.  Someone over on the KNC thread bought 11 (ELEVEN!!!) Jupiters.

Thats way more than I get paid a year for my 9-5 job. Waaay more.

The 2 blades get me about $9 per day and have been running 24/7 for about 2 weeks

I just about squeezed enough for approx 195gh/s hash power in total but thats it, I'm living on toast for a year.

Good thing I like toast huh?

Same here. I bought some BTC and also took a chance on a group buy and here with a Drillbit miniplane.
But, as we have discussed before, it is the taking part. Buying e.g. 15 BTC's would have been the "wise" investment as perhaps that much in mining nets you anywhere from 6-15BTC, but the fun,... priceless.

Remember, we are TAKING PART in the greatest social experiment in our recorded history (at least one not done by governments - Centralized fractional reserve banking  Shocked , which is collapsing before our eyes.)

I almost bought a blade but thought not to take any more chances with hardware (until I actually get some or the GB's start mining!) Those blades won't make a profit though, will they?
Still waiting on my 7Ghash/s Jalapeno. Ordered June 2nd or so and at the rate BFL is going it will arrive in December and mine 1BTC in total...

Anyway, go Drillbit, get hashing!
IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
rangerbob21

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 02:57:51 PM

Barn,

Will those of us that paid for batch 1 via paypal be listed as paid in full (green) on the order queue soon? Is there anything else that needs to be completed as far as payment is concerned? I sent an email to your gmail account on this and just wanted to check here as well.

Thanks for your efforts!!!! 
davmp

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 03:06:35 PM

Will those of us that paid for batch 1 via paypal be listed as paid in full (green) on the order queue soon?

Not to scare you, but I paid for both the device and shipping via paypal and I'm green already.   Did you pay for shipping as well as the original purchase?  It wasn't included in the original prices.
Barntech (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 04:54:15 PM

Hello people.

I'm very pleased to announce a price drop on all Drillbit System hardware for Batch 2  Grin Grin

Drillbit Thumb -            0.8 BTC
Drillbit 8 Board -           2.5 BTC
Drillbit Miniplane -         0.3 BTC
Drillbit Double Scroll -    0.3 BTC

You'll see I've changed the front page quite a bit. Much that was on there is no longer relevant. For now payments will only be accepted in BTC. I think most of you know the deal with PAYPAL. We may reinstate the third party paypal option, but for now i'd rather keep it to Bitcoin, after all, that's why we're all here right? If anyone is desperate to pay with Paypal or Bank Transfer, PM me, it's possible, but please, go get some BTC.

If we get all these miners bought up quick, batch 2 should not be far behind batch 1.

Cheers

Barntech

Barntech (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 04:57:50 PM

Barn,

Will those of us that paid for batch 1 via paypal be listed as paid in full (green) on the order queue soon? Is there anything else that needs to be completed as far as payment is concerned? I sent an email to your gmail account on this and just wanted to check here as well.

Thanks for your efforts!!!! 

PMd
RicRock

Activity: 290

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 05:11:57 PM

Hello people.

I'm very pleased to announce a price drop on all Drillbit System hardware for Batch 2  Grin Grin

So for those of us that have fully paid Batch 2 orders, will we be refunded? or have that difference applied to additional boards?

Barntech (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 05:15:08 PM

Hello people.

So for those of us that have fully paid Batch 2 orders, will we be refunded? or have that difference applied to additional boards?

Happy to do either. Let me know what you would like to do.  Smiley
techman05

Activity: 546

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 06:19:18 PM

Now we just need coins at 100 a coin to make me giddy. I have see how my first purchase product works before I jump for another though Tongue Wink.

Like the info address for potential tips Wink
BTC 1CL5BnNhdL2wDVmSDwMbW1cNhZew87CAPV
* http://www.miningrigrentals.com/register?ref=563
bobsag3

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 06:36:31 PM

Hello people.

Yall can thank me for buying 2/3rds of the reel so barn can get the chips ASAP and much cheaper.
RicRock

Activity: 290

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 07:40:04 PM

Yall can thank me for buying 2/3rds of the reel so barn can get the chips ASAP and much cheaper.

Thanks!
erk

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 10:41:41 PM

Hello people.

Reely, good work, I wish I had that kind of cash flow!
techman05

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 11:13:04 PM

does make me twitch to not stand too close to whatever pool you as a person decide to over take.

The one thought I haven't thought to though while on the subject of chips . Are the chips on the assembled boards potentialy upgradable?

Like the info address for potential tips Wink
BTC 1CL5BnNhdL2wDVmSDwMbW1cNhZew87CAPV
* http://www.miningrigrentals.com/register?ref=563
Pages: « 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 ... 148 »
  Print  

Jump to: