Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 06:00:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 [127] 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 »
  Print  
Author Topic: DRILLBIT SYSTEM Miners - Avalon range available - Now $104.99!  (Read 273592 times)
lajz99

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 11:53:44 PM

Barntech / bobsag, can you please confirm or deny this?

Drillbit / Bobsag3 they both had production runs through BlackArrow for their relative boards correct?

That is correct. They built my bitfury boards, and assembled the drillbit boards.

Thank you for confirming, time to post a warning for all to see.

thomas_s

Activity: 574

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 11:56:37 PM

Drillbit / Bobsag3 they both had production runs through BlackArrow for their relative boards correct?

That is correct. They built my bitfury boards, and assembled the drillbit boards.

Actually the problem with bobsag3's boards is the rpi not the board itself, the board is fine and can hash away its the rpi's that can't stay stable.
lajz99

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 11:58:09 PM

Actually the problem with bobsag3's boards is the rpi not the board itself, the board is fine and can hash away its the rpi's that can't stay stable.
Oh I don't care about his boards...I care about the 100gh/s in Drillbit boards I have sitting idle because BlackArrow jacked them up. People deserve to know what happened here so it can be avoided in the future. 

terrapinflyer

Activity: 602

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 12:00:35 AM

Hey guys.

We have more delays. It breaks my heart to tell you this, and it just straight up breaks my heart that it's happening. Please know, I am just as excited about this project and eager to get these miners as you guys, and just as disappointed that they are not yet ready. The last weeks of delays have been absolutely killing me.

The story is this. A while back we made a decision to engage a third party to assist us with completing our production in China. The reason for making this decision is that they are on the ground in China, have direct contact with multiple factories and suppliers etc, and promised a really fast turn around on getting everything made. In theory, getting these guys to help was going to get everything done and shipped out faster. That was the idea. They seemed competent and professional through all our initial discussions. It felt like a good decision at the time. Unfortunately, this has totally back fired and instead become the cause of many delays.

Bit by bit it has become clear that this third party don't really know what they're doing. It frustrates the hell out of me. I really really wish i had not let crucial parts of this operation out of my hands as i believe we would certainly have shipped by now had we maintained control of the manufacture and done it here in Sydney. The wisdom of hindsight can be a real bitch sometimes.  Embarrassed I take full responsibility for taking the choice to work with these people. God i wish i hadn't. As i say, at the time it seemed like a good move. I am sorry for this. We have been seriously let down.

The cause for the latest delay is that we recently discovered that said third party had ordered largely substandard inappropriate substitute parts for our boards, not the ones we specified. We are lucky we found this out when we did. Going ahead with the manufacture with the wrong parts would have caused all sorts on unknown instabilities on the boards. People may well have received them sooner, but there would be a  large chance they would not work properly, not get decent hashrates, and perhaps not work at all, or break soon after being plugged in. Dealing with this problem after the boards had been made would have been a nightmare.

So, we have ordered all the parts again ourselves from trusted sources. They are now being sent to the manufacturers. They will arrive early next week. This is the absolute best we can do under the circumstances. Trust me, the delay is worth it for the peace of mind that the boards are made properly to the specs of the design and will work. The production will continue as soon as the parts arrive. All things being equal production will happen on Tues. Basically we are put out a week by this. I am so sorry this is happening. It absolutely kills me to still not have these miners done for you.

So BA is the third party?
erk

Activity: 826

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 12:02:17 AM

Where does it say that?
lajz99

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 12:04:01 AM

Where does it say that?

de·duce
diˈd(y)oos/Submit
verb
gerund or present participle: deducing
arrive at (a fact or a conclusion) by reasoning; draw as a logical conclusion

terrapinflyer

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 12:04:55 AM

Im asking if this is the mention of the third party assembling the boards in Barntech's post.
erk

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 02:57:01 AM

Im asking if this is the mention of the third party assembling the boards in Barntech's post.

I don't see what is interesting about Chinese production houses at this stage.

What I want to know how the shipping of working boards is coming along? There is little information on the other forums, nobody seems to know what's going on.
Goldshredder

Activity: 249
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 03:21:02 AM

What I want to know how the shipping of working boards is coming along? There is little information on the other forums, nobody seems to know what's going on.

The last news I recall was 2 or 3 days ago when the US repair helper said he'd heard the linear regulator fix was apparently 'working great', following the first day or so of the Drillbit crew testing that solution.

But there's been no official announcement of reliable fix yet, and in lieu of that the logical assumptions are that either (a) there isn't one, or (b) there is one, but it's undergoing long and thorough testing before any announcement is made.

I'm not sure which at this stage, heh heh*.

*nervous Dr Hibberd laugh

JBT

Activity: 165

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 03:50:11 AM

i hope all testing and repairs can get done before end of week also shipping
flemeister

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 04:36:51 AM

i hope all testing and repairs can get done before end of week also shipping
Fingers crossed. Smiley
terrapinflyer

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 05:38:21 AM

What is interesting to me about the production house is that when the original statement was made on Nov 14th about the delay at the production house due to negligence on their part a few people asked who the manufacture was. That question was never answered publicly and it seems that it just might have been. You may not be interested in the answer at this point but I am sure that there are some people here who would like to know.

thomas_s

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 06:01:59 AM

What is interesting to me about the production house is that when the original statement was made on Nov 14th about the delay at the production house due to negligence on their part a few people asked who the manufacture was. That question was never answered publicly and it seems that it just might have been. You may not be interested in the answer at this point but I am sure that there are some people here who would like to know.

Hmm I heard that the production house wanted to use a certain part (one made in china)...then was told no that this other part needed to be used (one not made in china)...which caused the delay because that part needed to be ordered and shipped to them...and now that part that they were told to use isn't working and they are being blamed for it.
Goldshredder

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 06:07:03 AM

Airing negative publicity about a manufacturer in November before their work was finished would be like kicking the chef before he prepares your final courses.  i.e. not the greatest idea, even if the starter was overcooked and partly inedible.

And who knows, they or some ally might still have work to do with us/Drillbit in future. That's not our call I don't think. It's easy enough for individuals to demand restitution.

But at a larger or business scale that kind of bridge burning haste isn't usually advisable even if their performance hasn't been the best.

Quote from: thomas_s
Hmm I heard that the production house wanted to use a certain part (one made in china)...then was told no that this other part needed to be used (one not made in china)...which caused the delay because that part needed to be ordered and shipped to them...and now that part that they were told to use isn't working and they are being blamed for it.

As I recall, the manufacturing issue at that time related to "some components" which had substandard versions used initially - before being rectified with better ones. Causing indeed a delay in the obtaining and shipping.

But I don't believe anyone has ever stated or confirmed that the "some components" referred to back then, are directly related to the components failing now.

Though, they may well be.  I just don't recall any actual statement of such.
erk

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 06:38:48 AM

You are living in the past, the production run has been over for weeks, there are more pressing issues atm like the recall, and getting the boards back out. I am quite certain IF there are any more batches that any production issues would be seriously looked into at that point. eg in NSW where the Drillbit board is designed there is http://ramzonics.com.au/site/index.php/p-c-b-assembly-smt-line and I am sure there are others.

thomas_s

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 06:49:10 AM

You are living in the past, the production run has been over for weeks, there are more pressing issues atm like the recall, and getting the boards back out. I am quite certain IF there are any more batches that any production issues would be seriously looked into at that point. eg in NSW where the Drillbit board is designed there is http://ramzonics.com.au/site/index.php/p-c-b-assembly-smt-line and I am sure there are others.

My point was, the original delay due to substandard parts...and rectified with better parts is not the case, someone made a decision to change the parts and the new parts are faulty (the ones that were supposed to be better). So what were the original parts and what were they replaced with, and what made them substandard.

Meaning not only was there a delay to change the parts but the parts that were gotten that caused the delay are faulty.
erk

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 07:01:14 AM

My point was, the original delay due to substandard parts...and rectified with better parts is not the case, someone made a decision to change the parts and the new parts are faulty (the ones that were supposed to be better). So what were the original parts and what were they replaced with, and what made them substandard.

Meaning not only was there a delay to change the parts but the parts that were gotten that caused the delay are faulty.
You are whining about the past, this has all happened, your complaints are NOT going to fix the problem. Move forward, get on with it, focus on Dec 10th. 2013, not weeks ago. I want to be mining, not discussing history.

Goldshredder

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 07:08:01 AM

the parts that were gotten that caused the delay are faulty.
Nowhere is that stated. You have no idea if the parts that are failing are original parts or replaced parts.
flemeister

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 07:11:42 AM

There's no harm talking about it, but there is with finger pointing based on assumptions. *IF* what thomas_s is saying is true, then surely the boards would've been screwed either way.
terrapinflyer

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 07:13:41 AM

As I recall, the manufacturing issue at that time related to "some components" which had substandard versions used initially - before being rectified with better ones. Causing indeed a delay in the obtaining and shipping.

But I don't believe anyone has ever stated or confirmed that the "some components" referred to back then, are directly related to the components failing now.

Though, they may well be.  I just don't recall any actual statement of such.

I am by no means implying that the failing components now are related to the Nov statement, I am simply asking if BA is the company that Barntech is talking about in this statement.

Bit by bit it has become clear that this third party don't really know what they're doing. It frustrates the hell out of me. I really really wish i had not let crucial parts of this operation out of my hands as i believe we would certainly have shipped by now had we maintained control of the manufacture and done it here in Sydney. The wisdom of hindsight can be a real bitch sometimes.  Embarrassed I take full responsibility for taking the choice to work with these people. God i wish i hadn't. As i say, at the time it seemed like a good move. I am sorry for this. We have been seriously let down.

The cause for the latest delay is that we recently discovered that said third party had ordered largely substandard inappropriate substitute parts for our boards, not the ones we specified. We are lucky we found this out when we did. Going ahead with the manufacture with the wrong parts would have caused all sorts on unknown instabilities on the boards. People may well have received them sooner, but there would be a  large chance they would not work properly, not get decent hashrates, and perhaps not work at all, or break soon after being plugged in. Dealing with this problem after the boards had been made would have been a nightmare.

I am asking if it is in fact BA because of what Bobsag said today.

It seems that I am correct in my assumption that BA is responsible for the initial delays according to Barntech and Bobsag.

And erk this is all relevant info, by recognizing the missteps we can move forward. Knowing the facts is part of being an informed customer so finding out who has made what mistakes is how the learning process works.
Pages: « 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 [127] 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 »
  Print  

Jump to: