Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 10:59:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 [130] 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 »
  Print  
Author Topic: DRILLBIT SYSTEM Miners - Avalon range available - Now $104.99!  (Read 273595 times)
jedimstr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 09:17:46 PM

I have seen at least half a dozen reports of people with these USB disconnects on the 8 boards.  Anyone closer to a solution? (no it's not the cable or hub)

Seriously... it's been discussed to death in the Drillbit forums.  They know about it... it looks like some USB transfer issues that were supposedly fixed in CGMiner 3.8.1, but seem to have cropped back up in 3.8.4.  There's even C code snippets on some of the threads pointing out where the problem should be.  You'll get a better idea about it talking directly to the engineers and developers for Drillbit over there than you will in the generic Group Buy thread here.

bobsag3

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 09:23:53 PM

US people: Labels have been sent off to TK, so the first set of boards should be on their way back today/tomorrow.
erk

Activity: 826

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 09:26:15 PM
Last edit: December 16, 2013, 10:09:50 PM by erk

I have seen at least half a dozen reports of people with these USB disconnects on the 8 boards.  Anyone closer to a solution? (no it's not the cable or hub)

Seriously... it's been discussed to death in the Drillbit forums.  They know about it... it looks like some USB transfer issues that were supposedly fixed in CGMiner 3.8.1, but seem to have cropped back up in 3.8.4.  There's even C code snippets on some of the threads pointing out where the problem should be.  You'll get a better idea about it talking directly to the engineers and developers for Drillbit over there than you will in the generic Group Buy thread here.
The people who bought from this thread have a right to know there are issues and the answers. I am not talking about some configuration issue, but a bug in the product which many users have reported. It's not my fault that the thread was in group buys and not custom hardware. I fail to see why something important has to be buried in the corner of a tiny product specific forum. I can't see any thread about the USB timeout problem over there, so I guess the issue is buried in some other thread.

How about a simple link to the discussion/solution to the problem?

lajz99

Activity: 756

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 09:31:37 PM

The people who bought from this thread have a right to know there are issues and the answers. I am not talking about some configuration issue, but a bug in the product which many users have reported. It's not my fault that the thread was in group buys and not custom hardware. I fail to see why something important has to be buried in the corner of a tiny product specific forum. I can't see any thread about the USB timeout problem over there, so I guess the issue is buried in some other thread.

It has been stated many, many times that specifics will be discussed on the drillbit forum.  Yes, it is in a thread over there.  Of course you're free to post here, but don't expect an answer.

erk

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 10:12:03 PM
Last edit: December 16, 2013, 10:53:31 PM by erk

It has been stated many, many times that specifics will be discussed on the drillbit forum.  Yes, it is in a thread over there.  Of course you're free to post here, but don't expect an answer.

Stuff that, I WANT people who bought the 8 board from this thread to know there is a USB problem, and to have access to the solution. It's common courtesy.
tk1337

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 10:57:40 PM

It has been stated many, many times that specifics will be discussed on the drillbit forum.  Yes, it is in a thread over there.  Of course you're free to post here, but don't expect an answer.

Stuff you, I WANT people who bought the 8 board from this thread to know there is a USB problem, and to have access to the solution. It's common courtesy.

If you're referring to the libusb error; That's more of an issue with CGMiner, not the actual product, though there might be some firmware updates that could change the timing.

However, I can honestly say I've been running 6 boards for far over 72hrs added 2 boards to that setup 24hrs ago and not a single error, also, on a raspberryPi running MinePeon. However I did do somethings to achieve this, probably the major thing I did was change my difficulty at my pool as well as my queue on the miner software.

I figured the queue to be 4 per 20GH/s (so, 32 @ 8 boards) and I upped the difficulty to 64 at the pool. Since the difficulty is higher, the boards aren't vomiting information as fast (almost just as fast, but not as fast), therefore it allows for some small amount of breathing room between USB communications, where as it would normally just be flooding the miner software with messages.

Why did I do these things? Well, being completely honest, I hoped on my rPi for my Blue Fury miners and forgot the one thing I loved about BFGMiner versus CGMiner, it dynamically set the queue size and a few other variables, where as CGMiner, doesn't. So, I saw the setting for my 30GH/s on my Blue Fury devices and then calculated what I needed to set it to in CGMiner and did so accordingly; Likewise I accidentally forgot to turn off the MinePeon donations, so I saw my hash rate drop at the pool (ghash.io notifies me every 15min if there's a drop) and forgot that some pools dynamically set the difficulty, which BTCGuild does and it set it to 64, so I copied that setting.

Since doing all of the above, I haven't ran into a single LIBUSB error for over 3 days now...
(Yes, I did get them before doing that, about once every 7 hours on the rPi's and about every 15hrs on Windows7.)

Now, with that being said, stating that the product is faulty here, I'd declare that to be false; Maybe more so of people not knowing how to configure settings correctly, that may very well, be true. I'll let you all be the judge of that, but I've been mining on my rPi solid now. I think it's wise to factor in all the variables before making out right accusations that a product is faulty, especially when in mining, there are *a lot* of settings and configurations that most people aren't even aware of how to use. Are there improvements that can be made in the firmware to help this issue (maybe avoid it completely)? Probably, yes, of which Angus and the Drillbit team have stated they are looking into.

So, yea... 
tk1337

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 11:03:52 PM

And by the way... Blue/Red Fury devices, flooded CGMiner 3.8.0 and 3.8.1 with "LIBUSB" errors until the day after 3.8.1 was released, ckolivas updated the repository with code that pulled back on the timing to make it "not as trigger happy". However since I got all those errors on CGMiner, I just said fuck it and stuck with BFGMiner for those devices, as it worked perfectly fine.

**cough, cough, I wish Luke-Jr or someone would add-in support for Drillbit devices on BFGMiner.. **
erk

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 11:35:21 PM

And by the way... Blue/Red Fury devices, flooded CGMiner 3.8.0 and 3.8.1 with "LIBUSB" errors until the day after 3.8.1 was released, ckolivas updated the repository with code that pulled back on the timing to make it "not as trigger happy". However since I got all those errors on CGMiner, I just said fuck it and stuck with BFGMiner for those devices, as it worked perfectly fine.

**cough, cough, I wish Luke-Jr or someone would add-in support for Drillbit devices on BFGMiner.. **

Interesting, I have several Block Erupters and BFL devices with no LIBUSB errors, I was not aware that Drillbit was part of cgminer distribution, I thought it was it's own fork so I didn't try the drillbit version to see if the other gear gave problems.

tk1337

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 12:50:36 AM

Interesting, I have several Block Erupters and BFL devices with no LIBUSB errors, I was not aware that Drillbit was part of cgminer distribution, I thought it was it's own fork so I didn't try the drillbit version to see if the other gear gave problems.

I have never seen the issue on BFL, I have seen the issue on Erupters when I got up to 122 erupters on one rPi, which caused me to switch to BFGMiner (CGMiner wasn't very stable after 30 erupters anyhow). I didn't see the issues on Blue/Red Fury devices until CGMiner 3.8.0/3.8.1; If you want to browse through the hell that is the CGMiner thread here on the forums, you will find other people with LIBUSB errors on other random hardware.

erk

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 01:24:38 AM

I have never seen the issue on BFL, I have seen the issue on Erupters when I got up to 122 erupters on one rPi, which caused me to switch to BFGMiner (CGMiner wasn't very stable after 30 erupters anyhow). I didn't see the issues on Blue/Red Fury devices until CGMiner 3.8.0/3.8.1; If you want to browse through the hell that is the CGMiner thread here on the forums, you will find other people with LIBUSB errors on other random hardware.

I did have a look at the thread before, didn't see all that much. I see in last weeks release 3.8.5 they have added - Attempt a libusb reset device on usb devices that have stopped responding.  Which of course is attempting to correct a symptom rather than the problem which caused the device to stop responding.

tk1337

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 02:43:47 AM

I did have a look at the thread before, didn't see all that much. I see in last weeks release 3.8.5 they have added - Attempt a libusb reset device on usb devices that have stopped responding.  Which of course is attempting to correct a symptom rather than the problem which caused the device to stop responding.

When I say go back through the thread, I mean like back to 3.1.1, lol, the biggest issue with CGMiner (from what I can tell and in my own personal experiences) is how it interacts with USB devices. Hot-plugging is great to have however, not always the best, I think the want to always have hot-plugging while using libsub is CGMiner's biggest down fall... which you don't really have with BFGMiner, as it doesn't support hot-plugging...
jedimstr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 02:51:59 AM

That said... any word yet from Luke-Jr on BFGMiner support?  Did he get his test board/thumb yet?

tk1337

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 04:15:52 AM

That said... any word yet from Luke-Jr on BFGMiner support?  Did he get his test board/thumb yet?

No idea, I haven't tried PM'ing him or asking on the BFG thread again. I may try to implement it myself after I take a breather from all the repairs & everyone has their boards back and hashing.
JBT

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 04:32:09 AM

barntech/bobsag is sent you guys a pm and email. i know you guys are busy but can you answer me please?
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 07:15:07 AM

"Please lukejr,your our only hope" LMAO  Cheesy

I only got the error once in 4 days of mining,so I'll let you guys know if it happens again.I just rebooted my host PC & all is well.............for now  Grin

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
erk

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 08:56:43 PM

When I say go back through the thread, I mean like back to 3.1.1, lol, the biggest issue with CGMiner (from what I can tell and in my own personal experiences) is how it interacts with USB devices. Hot-plugging is great to have however, not always the best, I think the want to always have hot-plugging while using libsub is CGMiner's biggest down fall... which you don't really have with BFGMiner, as it doesn't support hot-plugging...

You seem to be missing an important point. Drillbit support is not part of the standard cgminer release, I am quite sure it could have been if you sent Kano a board to develop on. Nevertheless, the Drillbit devs took it upon themselves to fork cgminer and patch it for Drillbit boards, but they didn't do it properly, there are issues with libusb disconnects, if Drillbit requires a certain version or configuration of libusb then that should have been done, it is not up to the cgminer devs, trying to deflect the blame back to them for managing problems in the Drillbit fork of the code is rather childish.
lajz99

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 09:45:24 PM

You seem to be missing an important point. Drillbit support is not part of the standard cgminer release, I am quite sure it could have been if you sent Kano a board to develop on. Nevertheless, the Drillbit devs took it upon themselves to fork cgminer and patch it for Drillbit boards, but they didn't do it properly, there are issues with libusb disconnects, if Drillbit requires a certain version or configuration of libusb then that should have been done, it is not up to the cgminer devs, trying to deflect the blame back to them for managing problems in the Drillbit fork of the code is rather childish.

I think "irk" would be a more appropriate alias.   Shocked

If you were paying attention to the appropriate forum you would have seen this thread: http://drillbitsystem.com/forum/index.php?topic=235.0

erk

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 10:08:59 PM
Last edit: December 17, 2013, 10:38:16 PM by erk

I think "irk" would be a more appropriate alias.   Shocked

If you were paying attention to the appropriate forum you would have seen this thread: http://drillbitsystem.com/forum/index.php?topic=235.0

I have read the thread many times, stop trying to deflect the blame back onto the cgminer devs for code problems with a non-supported product.

If you are going to fork someone elses code for your product, then you suddenly take on responsibility for every line of that code to be right for your product. If it were me I would have made a Drillbit board available to ckolivas, Kano, Luke-jr and let them take care of making their mining software work with the hardware, a small price to pay for the work involved.
lajz99

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 10:16:36 PM

I think "irk" would be a more appropriate alias.   Shocked

I have read the thread many times, stop trying to deflect the blame back onto the cgminer devs for code problems with a non-supported product.

I'm not deflecting blame, I'm nicely trying to tell you to go use the other damn forum where you may actually get a response!!  It's really not that difficult of a concept. 

tk1337

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 11:18:07 PM

I think you seem to be missing the point, or rather avoiding it...

The issue with LIBUSB is not drillbit related in any way shape or form (hence why OTHER products which are officially supported by CGMiner have the issue as well). It's blatantly obvious that you want to keep ignoring this fact just so you have something to bitch and run your mouth about, so nothing anyone says here will help you. The issue has been around since before the Drillbit 8 Boards were manufactured, since before Drillbit developers ever wrote code, etc...

So how about you do some actual reading for once and learn what LIBUSB is... it's a library written in C for USB communications, which omfg, has bugs, not to mention the implementation CGMiner uses it in, had & has bugs with it. http://www.libusb.org/

Not_a_damn_thing_to_do_directly_with_drillbit.

Granted I understand if you're mentally incapable of understanding logic, I won't make fun of you for being mentally handicap, so if that is the case please speak up. However I'll gladly point out how much of an idiot someone is when all the facts are right in front of their face yet they choose to still ignore them. So which is it with you?
Pages: « 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 [130] 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 »
  Print  

Jump to: