Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:39:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1501 1502 1503 1504 1505 1506 1507 1508 1509 1510 1511 1512 1513 1514 1515 1516 1517 1518 1519 1520 1521 1522 1523 1524 1525 1526 1527 1528 1529 1530 1531 1532 1533 1534 1535 1536 1537 1538 1539 1540 1541 1542 1543 1544 1545 1546 1547 1548 1549 1550 [1551] 1552 1553 1554 1555 1556 1557 1558 1559 1560 1561 1562 1563 1564 1565 1566 1567 1568 1569 1570 1571 1572 1573 1574 1575 1576 1577 1578 1579 1580 1581 1582 1583 1584 1585 1586 1587 1588 1589 1590 1591 1592 1593 1594 1595 1596 1597 1598 1599 1600 1601 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761525 times)
xyzzyx

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

I don't really come from outer space.

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 08:08:52 AM

Nxt introduction video with Cantonese
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjcwNTEyMzAw.html

Nice!

"An awful lot of code is being written ... in languages that aren't very good by people who don't know what they're doing." -- Barbara Liskov

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jl777
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1132

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 08:09:57 AM

I do not feel confident with the idea of "plugins" and "turing compete" scripting implementation before more basic stuff is complete. We need  thorough  code rechecking from many more independent sources , finishing already announced projects, and other basic stuff.  

I am surprised how little reaction there is to the fact that a guy who discovered a fatal flaw with Nxt code two days ago could have stolen 40 million from bter Nxt account
 https://nextcoin.org/index.php/topic,3884.0.html

How many more flaws exist? We don't know, but yet we want to implement "plugins" Wow.

Seriously. Forget plugins and send more resources on code auditing and finishing the announced features.

+1 for some kind of odd reason we always drift away from the initial plan and features, they are still NOT implemented.

We cant even walk and already try to run.

finish what is promissed and started.
What features are not being worked on? What do you mean by walking?

http://www.digitalcatallaxy.com/report2015.html
100+ page annual report for SuperNET
pandaisftw

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 08:11:56 AM

I do not feel confident with the idea of "plugins" and "turing compete" scripting implementation before more basic stuff is complete. We need  thorough  code rechecking from many more independent sources , finishing already announced projects, and other basic stuff.  

I am surprised how little reaction there is to the fact that a guy who discovered a fatal flaw with Nxt code two days ago could have stolen 40 million from bter Nxt account

How many more flaws exist? We don't know, but yet we want to implement "plugins" Wow. This isn't firefox.

Seriously. Forget plugins and spend more resources on code auditing and finishing the announced features.

Do realize that the stuff here is =/= to the work the main devs are doing. I'm pretty sure most of us are not able to find flaws, so we can contribute to other parts in the meantime.

Also, we are looking for people to audit the code, but beyond that, there is nothing I can do personally, so I'm helping out in other ways.

NXT: 13095091276527367030
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 08:12:23 AM

I don't see why you would want a Nxt VM script to "output an email" (or do anything else outside of the blockchain for that matter) - you do understand that whether such email was actually even really sent simply *cannot be proven* (as you are dealing with SMTP rather than a blockchain)?

Also SMTP is going to require accounts that need to be signed into and you don't want to end up with people effectively running "relay servers" or they'll end up on email blacklists.

Wouldn't it make more sense for such things to be services instead?

About walking vs. running - you are getting far too excited jl777 - can you just take something to slow down to a pace that we can keep up with (by the time we've tried to discuss one of your ideas you typically have posted 3 others).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 08:18:20 AM

I am a bit concerned that there has been very little feedback on my recent proposals, blockchain FIFO and NXT plugin architecture.

This either means its Friday night and nobody has had a chance to think about them, or it is so ridiculous nobody bothered to comment, or maybe I am on everyone's ignore list?

Please, if you see anything wrong, now is the time to find it. Also, if you think it is mostly right, just +1 it or short comment. I feel like I am in a vacuum here...

James

P.S. I just cant believe that I got everything right as that is the fourth possibility.

You have more energy than a toddler that has found her mother's diet pills.

Blockchain FIFO:  I was thinking along similar lines:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=345619.msg4981325#msg4981325

But it's only a general idea, and incomplete.

NXT plugins: you could sign the plugin with the issuer's private key and publish the public key for verification purposes in an Alias.  Have the client check the signature before  loading of the plugin. Or something similar <waves hands.>
I am not too concerned about the signatures, more about the logistics of validating the signature for the executable code under all the different OS the plugins will be compiled and run under. This is why hardcoded plugins are much cleaner, but I figured if we can solve the external plugin issue, it really opens things up.

Yes, I am worried about Evil Bob, he is quite clever. What can he do with an NXTsmtp plugin? He could change the email that is being sent and this could be very bad. NXTsmtp is just a proof of concept of this methodology and would not really be useful for anything more than a twitter like feed. Now it is possible for the NXTsmtp messages to be signed and that would add a lot more trust in the content of the feed. Keep in mind, nothing stops Evil Bob from sending any email to anyone, so I dont see the big security hole created by NXTsmtp.

OK, I have an idea for another plugin. Sorry Pin! We can have a plugin that broadcasts data. It would be like the XCP broadcast function, but we have the data signed so it can be trusted as to the source. The plugin is validated as untampered. The source code will show where and how it is getting its data. This way we can create trusted data feeds for various price data. That in turn can be used to implement betting, options, CFD, etc. This is pretty significant!

James

pinarello

Activity: 266

NXT is the future

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 08:22:12 AM

How many more flaws exist? We don't know, but yet we want to implement "plugins" Wow.

Seriously. Forget plugins and send more resources on code auditing and finishing the announced features.

+1 for some kind of odd reason we always drift away from the initial plan and features, they are still NOT implemented.

I am eager to see NXT first implementation in a working client (a side from messages and aliasses)

tman10

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 08:22:20 AM

Has anybody seen NxtChg lately??...Thanks
pinarello

NXT is the future

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 08:23:17 AM

No, please read his last posts.

salsacz

Activity: 490
Merit: 504

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 08:27:27 AM

NxtChg left us, withdraw from the exchange. He had another of his emotional breakdowns caused by his Obsessive–compulsive disorder and left, althought we asked him to stay

a) I am a programmer with OCD, most of you here know what I mean: we obsess about tiniest details and double, triple check everything, especially something as important as sending a big chunk of money.
jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 08:27:55 AM

I don't see why you would want a Nxt VM script to "output an email" (or do anything else outside of the blockchain for that matter) - you do understand that whether such email was actually even really sent simply *cannot be proven* (as you are dealing with SMTP rather than a blockchain)?

Also SMTP is going to require accounts that need to be signed into and you don't want to end up with people effectively running "relay servers" or they'll end up on email blacklists.

About walking vs. running - you are getting far too excited jl777 - can you just take something to slow down to a pace that we can keep up with (by the time we've tried to discuss one of your ideas you typically have posted 3 others).

NXTsmtp is just for proof of concept that incorporates something everybody is familiar with. I want to verify the peer verifiability of hardcoded NXTplugin followed by external NXTplugin. I am not worried about NXTsmtp for anything other than proving that NXTplugins work and are peer verified. At first I couldnt understand how on earth a DAC could be implemented. When I started thinking about email plugin, it became not as hard.

If the source to SMTP server is reviewed that it does send the email (backed up with test results) and as part of the sending process it adds a hash value of email to the blockchain. I think that allows peer verification, please explain where I am wrong. I am certain I have made mistakes somewhere and I am still coming up to speed with this whole decentralized blockchain approach.

The problem is that I see all of the things I am posting about as connected. Like the elephant described by different people. All sounds very different, but it is all the same elephant. If I described the elephant in its entirety, it wouldnt fit in posts. I feel a great sense of urgency due to competitive pressures.

James

P.S. I usually dont post when I am sleeping or flying Smiley

jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 08:29:11 AM

I am eager to see NXT first implementation in a working client (a side from messages and aliasses)
Who doesnt? How do you suggest I help nexern out?

tman10

Activity: 21

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 08:30:10 AM

No, please read his last posts.

Where might I find his last post?...Thanks
nxtru

Activity: 37

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 08:30:57 AM

25000 NXT bounty for a method and Java implementation that verifies NXTplugin process has not changed. Need an OS independent way of finding the executable code of a previously registered NXTplugin. This means we can constrain the creation method (linker output), probably need to do this for unix, Mac and Windows separately.

I am looking for a practical solution that will allow realtime verification by the NXTcore to make sure that the NXTplugin has not been tampered with. NXTplugins will have to be opensourced and publish signatures for specific compilers. This signature is then verified prior to any usage of that plugin by the NXTcore.

BEFORE we would ever consider submitting this to jean-luc, we of course need to test it like crazy. If the code is changed at all, we assume it is tampered. This probably means we cant do any dynamic linking, and need either static or relative jumps. Not sure though. Just finding where the code is might not be so easy. Figuring out how to get a ptr to the Java process will probably be pretty difficult. Any reasonable one way hash function is fine for this bounty, just want to get the system issues out of the way so we can validate in realtime that a plugin has not been tampered with.

As long as the source is reviewed for Evil Bobness and the code that is executing generates the same signature, I think we are getting close to where we can trust it almost as much as a hardcoded plugin where the plugin is actually part of the NXT core. Once we have the ability to have NXT plugins that are external to the NXT core, that is when things can really take off. We still need a formal validation process before it is approved for inclusion in the approved list of plugins, but maybe we can sidestep that issue by just having web.xml entries?

PLEASE if anybody can find a security flaw in this method, post ASAP. Remember Evil Bob is very evil

James

Are these NXTplugins jar files? We could use jar signing feature. See Oracle docs:
- signing: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/deployment/jar/signing.html
- verification: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/deployment/jar/verify.html
erik__

Activity: 38

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 08:32:08 AM

I am a bit concerned that there has been very little feedback on my recent proposals, blockchain FIFO and NXT plugin architecture.

I've been reading your posts with interest and trying to digest them.  Much of it sounds good, but is mostly over my head so it's hard to give good feedback.  My biggest concern is security right now especially after the recent scare.  New features often bring new security holes, so I'd rather not be in too much of a rush to beat the competition for every little thing.  Nxt already has a strong niche (zero inflation, proof-of-stake) and just needs steady, but not rushed, development to bring in the new features which may or may not be embraced by the market.

Has Dr. Evil been hired to continue to looking for exploits and weaknesses and consult?  I saw a couple posts requesting this, but it should be a priority.  He's proven himself by brute forcing something like 3% of Nxt accounts (including genesis) and discovering an x-spend attack.  If we have community funds available then I think we should try to keep him on board as long as we can.
lucky88888

Activity: 404

https://nxtforum.org/

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 08:33:49 AM

This either means its Friday night and nobody has had a chance to think about them, or it is so ridiculous nobody bothered to comment, or maybe I am on everyone's ignore list?

Please, if you see anything wrong, now is the time to find it. Also, if you think it is mostly right, just +1 it or short comment. I feel like I am in a vacuum here...

James

P.S. I just cant believe that I got everything right as that is the fourth possibility.

or people don't understand what you talking about like me Cheesy

Yeb.. a lot of us don't understand anything that is a little technical..
I started reading a few sentences then i got lost on the third sentence. sorry Grin
Most people are more active in 2-3 hours from now, time zone difference maybe?

Another reason would be this huge thread need to be more organised. Maybe we shall start the great NXT migration to a proper forum with proper topic sections. eg. forums.nxtcrypto.org i have started to promote it for this very reason with my forging competition.

I would think this would be the more organized way as well.
Finish what is already been promised and you will have developers flying in from all over the world to help implement new features.
Right now, i can say a lot of potential devs arn't taking too much notice on nxt for this reason,
because most devs are paid pretty well and their time = lots of money.
Of-course you have to remember that some devs are limited to their field of expertise and may not be able to help with the promised features but is able to put their time in other new features which is a good thing.

Fuck Mt.Gox! Fuck Mintpal! Fuck Bter! FUCK kyc! Protect yourself use MGW! SUPERNET!
Recommended ASSET ->InstantDex : Lead Dev Jl777 (decentralized multi currency instant exchange)
Recommended ASSET -> Jinn : Lead Dev Come-from-Beyond (ternary processors!)
https://nxtforum.org/news-and-announcements/(ann)-jinn/
nxtru

Activity: 37

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 08:35:00 AM

NXTsmtp is just for proof of concept that incorporates something everybody is familiar with. I want to verify the peer verifiability of hardcoded NXTplugin followed by external NXTplugin. I am not worried about NXTsmtp for anything other than proving that NXTplugins work and are peer verified. At first I couldnt understand how on earth a DAC could be implemented. When I started thinking about email plugin, it became not as hard.

If the source to SMTP server is reviewed that it does send the email (backed up with test results) and as part of the sending process it adds a hash value of email to the blockchain. I think that allows peer verification, please explain where I am wrong. I am certain I have made mistakes somewhere and I am still coming up to speed with this whole decentralized blockchain approach.

The problem is that I see all of the things I am posting about as connected. Like the elephant described by different people. All sounds very different, but it is all the same elephant. If I described the elephant in its entirety, it wouldnt fit in posts. I feel a great sense of urgency due to competitive pressures.

James

I've been working with SNMP on Java but I don't get what tasks you want to solve with NXTsnmp.
pinarello

NXT is the future

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 08:36:27 AM

James

James,

First of all thank you for all your great ideas, but ...

My background is IT project manager and I am going crazy by you.

You throw 10 projects on the table but have not one worked out.

Please for starters pick on project, work it out from start to finish, than pick another.

As of now your way of working getting us nowhere.

You are ddossing us.

ChuckOne

Activity: 364

☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 08:37:55 AM

Updates - 07/02/2014
- Shows multiple balances.
- Shows node status (Green = ON, Blue = OFF)

Now effective balance 136'722.00 NXT!!!

NXTCoin first automated forging platform!

Is that really what we want? Centralization?
jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 08:38:13 AM

25000 NXT bounty for a method and Java implementation that verifies NXTplugin process has not changed. Need an OS independent way of finding the executable code of a previously registered NXTplugin. This means we can constrain the creation method (linker output), probably need to do this for unix, Mac and Windows separately.

I am looking for a practical solution that will allow realtime verification by the NXTcore to make sure that the NXTplugin has not been tampered with. NXTplugins will have to be opensourced and publish signatures for specific compilers. This signature is then verified prior to any usage of that plugin by the NXTcore.

BEFORE we would ever consider submitting this to jean-luc, we of course need to test it like crazy. If the code is changed at all, we assume it is tampered. This probably means we cant do any dynamic linking, and need either static or relative jumps. Not sure though. Just finding where the code is might not be so easy. Figuring out how to get a ptr to the Java process will probably be pretty difficult. Any reasonable one way hash function is fine for this bounty, just want to get the system issues out of the way so we can validate in realtime that a plugin has not been tampered with.

As long as the source is reviewed for Evil Bobness and the code that is executing generates the same signature, I think we are getting close to where we can trust it almost as much as a hardcoded plugin where the plugin is actually part of the NXT core. Once we have the ability to have NXT plugins that are external to the NXT core, that is when things can really take off. We still need a formal validation process before it is approved for inclusion in the approved list of plugins, but maybe we can sidestep that issue by just having web.xml entries?

PLEASE if anybody can find a security flaw in this method, post ASAP. Remember Evil Bob is very evil

James

Are these NXTplugins jar files? We could use jar signing feature. See Oracle docs:
- signing: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/deployment/jar/signing.html
- verification: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/deployment/jar/verify.html
Not necessarily

This might work for NXTplugins written in Java, but we need to support more than just code written in Java. For example I am wanting to run bitcoind as one of the external NXTplugins. I dont want to rely on versions that are behind latest bitcoind's and I would imagine that any java implementation of bitcoind will not be totally up to date.

Also, not sure if verification can be done inside Java code and how long it takes, but the general idea is what we need for all the supported executable formats. If we can support the bitcoind and other crypto daemons, then that gives hope to a DAC that does the fancy cross chain algos.

James

jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 08:39:08 AM

James

I've been working with SNMP on Java but I don't get what tasks you want to solve with NXTsnmp.
SMTP not SNMP

Pages: « 1 ... 1501 1502 1503 1504 1505 1506 1507 1508 1509 1510 1511 1512 1513 1514 1515 1516 1517 1518 1519 1520 1521 1522 1523 1524 1525 1526 1527 1528 1529 1530 1531 1532 1533 1534 1535 1536 1537 1538 1539 1540 1541 1542 1543 1544 1545 1546 1547 1548 1549 1550 [1551] 1552 1553 1554 1555 1556 1557 1558 1559 1560 1561 1562 1563 1564 1565 1566 1567 1568 1569 1570 1571 1572 1573 1574 1575 1576 1577 1578 1579 1580 1581 1582 1583 1584 1585 1586 1587 1588 1589 1590 1591 1592 1593 1594 1595 1596 1597 1598 1599 1600 1601 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: