Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 02:26:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive ASICMiner Cube Setup [HD]  (Read 187271 times)
DanZaph

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 07:01:45 PM

I just received a 12v 30a supply, the same one previously linked to at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D7CWSCG. After an initial inspection I see no problems, seems reasonably well built. Unfortunately I will not get a change to try it out due to travel through the end of the month.

Old enough to have lived dangerously—great times!
Setting up a ASICMiner Block Erupter Cube
dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 09:41:01 AM

I just received a 12v 30a supply, the same one previously linked to at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D7CWSCG. After an initial inspection I see no problems, seems reasonably well built. Unfortunately I will not get a change to try it out due to travel through the end of the month.

I'm really not a fan of these types of PSUs with exposed terminals.

sgginc

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 11:46:19 AM

Yeah.. I already got a shock from
mine when I reached up to repostion it.
Won't happen again.

It does have a plastic cover that snaps
down to cover the terminals but some
of the spade connector is still sticking out.

Ken
raskul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 12:32:31 PM

Won't happen again.

It does have a plastic cover that snaps
down to cover the terminals but some
of the spade connector is still sticking out.

Ken

i fixed my irregular heartbeat in the exact same manner*.

*don't try this at home.

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
DanZaph

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 12:47:00 PM

Here are some photos of the PSU, not that there is a flip-up orange cover over the terminals. Still, not as nice as molex connectors but better than an octopus of unused cables.

Notice the red rectangle in the first photo, there is a voltage adjust, this can be used to makeup for any voltage loss in the connection cables—but be careful and have a good volt meter..

Notice the red rectangle in the last photo, that seems to be the same kind of over-current protection as in ATX PSUs.

There are 3 3300uf caps on the 12v output.

brush242

Activity: 322

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:17:46 PM

Yeah.. I already got a shock from mine when I reached up to repostion it. Won't happen again.

It does have a plastic cover that snaps down to cover the terminals but some of the spade connector is still sticking out.
I fixed my irregular heartbeat in the exact same manner*.

*don't try this at home.

Sweet Merciful Crap! I laughed like hell at this, and I'm still giggling. The other attorneys thought I was crazy. God was that funny. Thank you.

Support sidehack miner development. Donations to: 1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
divinesnail01

Activity: 19

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 02:03:12 AM

Ok, seeing some weirdness here, and could use some help.  I keep feeling like I'm missing something obvious.

I have 2 cubes.  They occasionally reboot themselves.  What's odd, is that both of them do it within a minute or so of each other.  They'll run for hours at a time, and then stop sending things to the proxies, followed by reboot.

I've tried them both to the same proxy, I've tried them to two proxies on the same machine, I've tried them to different physical machines, and I've tried them to different virtual machines.  I've tried one power supply, and I've tried 2.  I've tried them on a separate network switch (2 cubes and the proxy on the same switch, with an "uplink" to my main network switch), and I've tried them on the main network switch.  Same thing in all cases; run for a while, and then both of them reboot withing a minute or so of each other.

This "feels" like a communication issue, but I haven't found it yet.  I'm not running a consumer router, but rather an open source PC based router / firewall, so I don't think it's a throughput issue to the internet.  I've just tripled the speed of my internet drop, and it's "business class" as opposed to residential (no caps, no blocked ports).

It's starting to affect my earnings a little, as when they happen to be rebooting at the end of a block, the pool I use penalizes me fairly heavily.

In short, I'm a little stumped.  That's actually a little embarrassing, as I'm a network admin / IT manager for a small company, and I'm supposed to be the guy that solves these sorts of issues.

Thoughts?  Any and all help greatly appreciated.

'snail
DanZaph

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2014, 02:21:13 AM

Won't happen again.
*don't try this at home.
I used to have a little power supply that would also fix an irregular heartbeat in an instant and it won't happen again. A puny 4a but 25,000v.

I was always real careful around it.

raskul

Activity: 434

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:48:04 AM

Won't happen again.
*don't try this at home.
I used to have a little power supply that would also fix an irregular heartbeat in an instant and it won't happen again. A puny 4a but 25,000v.

I was always real careful around it.

Cheesy your username should be Dan ZAPP!

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2014, 09:35:34 PM

Ok, seeing some weirdness here, and could use some help.  I keep feeling like I'm missing something obvious.

I have 2 cubes.  They occasionally reboot themselves.  What's odd, is that both of them do it within a minute or so of each other.  They'll run for hours at a time, and then stop sending things to the proxies, followed by reboot.

I've tried them both to the same proxy, I've tried them to two proxies on the same machine, I've tried them to different physical machines, and I've tried them to different virtual machines.  I've tried one power supply, and I've tried 2.  I've tried them on a separate network switch (2 cubes and the proxy on the same switch, with an "uplink" to my main network switch), and I've tried them on the main network switch.  Same thing in all cases; run for a while, and then both of them reboot withing a minute or so of each other.

This "feels" like a communication issue, but I haven't found it yet.  I'm not running a consumer router, but rather an open source PC based router / firewall, so I don't think it's a throughput issue to the internet.  I've just tripled the speed of my internet drop, and it's "business class" as opposed to residential (no caps, no blocked ports).

It's starting to affect my earnings a little, as when they happen to be rebooting at the end of a block, the pool I use penalizes me fairly heavily.

In short, I'm a little stumped.  That's actually a little embarrassing, as I'm a network admin / IT manager for a small company, and I'm supposed to be the guy that solves these sorts of issues.

'snail

If you're not on a home router, it might be something to do with IP leasing and things like that timing out. Maybe something changes temporarily, enough that the cubes think the proxy is down and restarts.

lilylavender

Activity: 1

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 10:35:04 PM

Hi Dogie,

I have the ASIC Cube. Currently it is setup on my Windows-based desktop and it runs great with CGminer and Stratum Proxy w/BTCGuild. I have a Raspberry pi w/Debian. Hubby wants me to connect the the CGminer on the Pi. I have no idea how to use Linux and was wondering if you would be so kind as to give me a detailed, step by step instruction on how to download, install w/extraction, .bat (but I know it's something else on Pi), and run procedure for the CGminer? I know how to do the Cube config page. I just don't know anything else bcuz Linux OS is different. Thank you so much!
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2014, 08:38:01 AM

Hi Dogie,

I have the ASIC Cube. Currently it is setup on my Windows-based desktop and it runs great with CGminer and Stratum Proxy w/BTCGuild. I have a Raspberry pi w/Debian. Hubby wants me to connect the the CGminer on the Pi. I have no idea how to use Linux and was wondering if you would be so kind as to give me a detailed, step by step instruction on how to download, install w/extraction, .bat (but I know it's something else on Pi), and run procedure for the CGminer? I know how to do the Cube config page. I just don't know anything else bcuz Linux OS is different. Thank you so much!

I've not touched Linux, sorry.

divinesnail01

Activity: 19

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 02:13:31 PM

'snail

If you're not on a home router, it might be something to do with IP leasing and things like that timing out. Maybe something changes temporarily, enough that the cubes think the proxy is down and restarts.

Partway through writing a response about how that couldn't be the reason, I decided it would be faster to simply set the proxies to static IP addresses to prove that it wouldn't change anything.

Huh.  Look at that .

They've run over 7 hours straight with no reboots.  Granted that was overnight, and the reboots seemed more frequent in the afternoon evening hours, but this is somewhat encouraging.

Stay tuned; let's see if they go a day without reboots.

What's odd about this is that I have my DHCP server set up for 7 day leases.  What I understand of the lease renewal says there's no way the clients (proxy machines) are chatting with the DHCP server as often as I've been seeing the reboots...

More to learn I guess, and a chance to affirm my theory that learning new things keeps an aging brain young(er).

Thanks for the idea.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2014, 05:39:16 PM

Partway through writing a response about how that couldn't be the reason, I decided it would be faster to simply set the proxies to static IP addresses to prove that it wouldn't change anything.

Huh.  Look at that .

They've run over 7 hours straight with no reboots.  Granted that was overnight, and the reboots seemed more frequent in the afternoon evening hours, but this is somewhat encouraging.

Stay tuned; let's see if they go a day without reboots.

What's odd about this is that I have my DHCP server set up for 7 day leases.  What I understand of the lease renewal says there's no way the clients (proxy machines) are chatting with the DHCP server as often as I've been seeing the reboots...

More to learn I guess, and a chance to affirm my theory that learning new things keeps an aging brain young(er).
Thanks for the idea.

No problem. Remember some of this hardware (read ASIC network controllers) is on the cheap side so doesn't always behave as we'd expect. Was it your router, was it the cube's being silly? We probably won't ever know.

phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 06:27:37 AM

I have not read the entire thread, but I have my blade working.

I had a hard time getting it to take settings. My guess is that if the HTTP Accept: header pushes the POST submission over two Ethernet frames, the second half of it is ignored. I found the w3m browser works to reliably program the machine.

Also, I am using molex connectors. This is not a problem if you make sure each connector has it's own dedicated pair of wires going back to the power supply (they don't melt at 5A).

Also learned:
  • Uses getwork protocol
  • Each hashing chip asks for work mostly independently (12.8 second round time)
  • Does not support long-polling
  • Draws a lot of power idle (and will reset every 150 seconds while idle).
  • 10Mbps interface (fast enough)
  • No mounting holes (unless you count heatsink)

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
Shaker242

Activity: 42

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 01:32:58 PM

*Unrelated to the thread*

I was curious if anyone knows a good site to sell a few cubes for BTC?  I have two or 3 that I'd like to let go of to make room for some other gear...
JackTackett

Activity: 25

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 01:06:13 AM

I'm slowly reading through this post, and have my cube working but at a very low level - at most 1GH/s or lower on Slush's pool.

I've installed Slush's proxy on my 192.168.1.9 server - network connectivity seems ok. The cube is connected directly into my router/modem on the 192.198.1.1 subnet. The .9 server is on the same subnet - but is hanging off a switch with 3 other servers. 

I'm using a Cosaire CX750M as the power supply with separate inputs directly into the cube. I also reseated all the boards, but they seemed fine to begin with. The fuse seems fine.  The cube is not even warm to the touch, though all the lights are on and the fan is blowing.  I'm still reading through all the posts in that setup thread and have a bunch more sites to read through in my Google search - so any pointers are greatly appreciated.

cube settings
http://www.compliancy.com/images/mycube.png

proxy output
http://www.compliancy.com/images/mycubeproxy.png

I'm not looking to overclock - but would like to try and get to around the 30GH/s range or as near as possible. Again any pointers are greatly appreciated.

best,
--Jack
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2014, 11:14:25 AM

*Unrelated to the thread*

I was curious if anyone knows a good site to sell a few cubes for BTC?  I have two or 3 that I'd like to let go of to make room for some other gear...
Just Amazon them

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2014, 11:15:45 AM

I'm slowly reading through this post, and have my cube working but at a very low level - at most 1GH/s or lower on Slush's pool.

I've installed Slush's proxy on my 192.168.1.9 server - network connectivity seems ok. The cube is connected directly into my router/modem on the 192.198.1.1 subnet. The .9 server is on the same subnet - but is hanging off a switch with 3 other servers. 

I'm using a Cosaire CX750M as the power supply with separate inputs directly into the cube. I also reseated all the boards, but they seemed fine to begin with. The fuse seems fine.  The cube is not even warm to the touch, though all the lights are on and the fan is blowing.  I'm still reading through all the posts in that setup thread and have a bunch more sites to read through in my Google search - so any pointers are greatly appreciated.

I'm not looking to overclock - but would like to try and get to around the 30GH/s range or as near as possible. Again any pointers are greatly appreciated.

best,
--Jack

Efficiency and hash rate means nothing <5 mins, show us that afterwards please.

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2014, 11:46:45 AM

Updated design to fit with newer guides and removed donation address

Pages: « 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 »
  Print  

Jump to: