Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 11:25:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 [137] 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 ... 230 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Reddit’s science forum banned climate deniers.  (Read 636405 times)
galdur

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 07:51:41 PM

So why again are climate change skeptics/deniers so threatening, if their views are so kooky? I mean, half the submissions on /r/science are completely off the mark and probably make most of the authors facepalm, anyway.

Their message has legs which obviously is very disturbing to those who are pushing The Truth. It always has been, not only in this field. Even worse, lies tend to age very badly. It´s a desperate situation.

Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 09:16:37 PM

How scary are your jack-o’-lanterns? Scarier than you think, according to the Energy Department, which claims the holiday squash is responsible for unleashing greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.

Most of the 1.3 billion pounds of pumpkins produced in the U.S. end up in the trash, says the Energy Department’s website, becoming part of the “more than 254 million tons of municipal solid waste (MSW) produced in the United States every year.”

Municipal solid waste decomposes into methane, “a harmful greenhouse gas that plays a part in climate change, with more than 20 times the warming effect of carbon dioxide,” Energy says.....

This is basically a complete lie.  The correct statement is simply that organic matter decomposes under certain conditions, in part to a fraction of methane.

The lie is in omitting that natural fauna, had man NOT CULTIVATED that pumpkin patch, nature would have done exactly the same thing.

The problem is actually not in the lie and the continual lying, but in the fact that people believe these superficial renderings of ecology are not being taught the real way things work in the natural world.

The assertion is not even valid by "Greenie standards," which hold, for example, that fuel from plants is "good because it's a renewable."  Pumpkins, obviously, are part of a renewable natural process.
galdur

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 09:37:46 PM

Most of the 1.3 billion pounds of pumpkins produced in the U.S. end up in the trash...

Yeah well, they´re like 92% water, so........ And it´s unlikely that most of the 600 thousand tons annually grown in the U.S. gets discarded. I guess most of it is eaten.

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 11:01:16 PM

Most of the 1.3 billion pounds of pumpkins produced in the U.S. end up in the trash...

Yeah well, they´re like 92% water, so........ And it´s unlikely that most of the 600 thousand tons annually grown in the U.S. gets discarded. I guess most of it is eaten.

And plants directly emit methane...

http://phys.org/news/2006-01-forgotten-methane-source.html
galdur

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 11:34:40 PM

And plants directly emit methane...

http://phys.org/news/2006-01-forgotten-methane-source.html

OK, plants emit methane which is an incredibly terrible greenhouse gas. I guess those jokers will start discussing ways to curtail plant growth, maybe they should be exterminated altogether  Grin They´re the basis of all life but that´s a small price to pay to save the world.

galdur

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 11:54:48 PM
Last edit: October 30, 2015, 12:52:28 AM by galdur

I´ve long forgotten the school biology but seem to remember that methane is produced in landfills by microrganisms that obviously have been around literally forever on this planet along with organic lifeforms I guess.  And in year 430,564,129 they´re causing a crisis? I don´t think so. Anyway, this methane nervousness with pumpkins and stuff is understandable since the biggest methane emitter in the United States is the natural gas industry through leakage of wells, pipes, compressors and storage tanks.

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 01:06:49 AM

I´ve long forgotten the school biology but seem to remember that methane is produced in landfills by microrganisms that obviously have been around literally forever on this planet along with organic lifeforms I guess.  And in year 430,564,129 they´re causing a crisis? I don´t think so. Anyway, this methane nervousness with pumpkins and stuff is understandable since the biggest methane emitter in the United States is the natural gas industry through leakage of wells, pipes, compressors and storage tanks.

Not really, since there's a gigantic push here from the looney greenies for us to go off coal and onto natural gas.   

But to say "it's NOT understandable" is kind of redundant since we're talking about crazed, semi religious acolytes of environmental apocalypse.  Like if it wasn't totally contradictory and stupid, they wouldn't be advocating it. 

It's sad to put it like that, and have to point out the anti-scientific and dumbing down aspects of this phenomena.

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 01:08:09 AM

I´ve long forgotten the school biology but seem to remember that methane is produced in landfills by microrganisms that obviously have been around literally forever on this planet along with organic lifeforms I guess.  ....

Correct, but the referenced link is a new finding - that plants EMIT methane, just as the emit oxygen.  This is a 2006 finding, though.  It's now ten years later, and this fact has not been incorporated into greenie dogma.
galdur

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 01:39:00 AM

Not really, since there's a gigantic push here from the looney greenies for us to go off coal and onto natural gas.   

But to say "it's NOT understandable" is kind of redundant since we're talking about crazed, semi religious acolytes of environmental apocalypse.  Like if it wasn't totally contradictory and stupid, they wouldn't be advocating it. 

It's sad to put it like that, and have to point out the anti-scientific and dumbing down aspects of this phenomena.

Ah yes, I looked it up. Methanogens deal with the final phase of anaerobic decomposition, the reduction of CO2 in the presense of hydrogen

CO2 + 4 H2 → CH4 + 2H2O

They are classified as archaea, a domain distinct from bacteria. I guess they must be the oldest life form on this planet.

galdur

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 01:53:58 AM

I think 2014 was record crop year in grains

and bubbles have been bursting in that area. So, expect increasing hostility towards plants.  Grin

kydranel

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 02:33:04 AM

Some religious people would also say that this is just a punishment for what we have done. But nonetheless we bring calamities on our own. We must admit that we have contributed to some of this phenomenon. Even in our country we had some climate change that our new curriculum was developed because of the climate change studies.

CryptoTotal.com    ¯\__/     Crypto MegaStore      ✓ Worldwide Shipping
──────────────    °  °    ────────────────────── ──── ─── ── ─
CamerasHeadphonesTabletsVideo GamesToysCollectiblesMoviesFragrancesHealthBeauty
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4606
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 02:46:41 AM

Some religious people would also say that this is just a punishment for what we have done.

Specifically, the Greens and a broad contingent of people who fancy themselves a part of that doctrine.

But nonetheless we bring calamities on our own. We must admit that we have contributed to some of this phenomenon. Even in our country we had some climate change that our new curriculum was developed because of the climate change studies.

In the U.S. the 'separation of church and state' paradigm has been made a mockery by the eco-fundies and their dogma which has infused the curriculum from the bottom to the top of the educational system and has completely infected the policy apparatus of the political body.  It is truly a sight to behold which makes it both interesting to me and maddening as the ill-effects are touching various aspects of my life.  The potential threats to our future are also quite real and quite bothersome.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
galdur

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 03:24:10 AM

Releasing frozen methane

The last rays of sun filter through the snow-covered spruces along the shore of Goldstream Lake, just outside Fairbanks, Alaska. Out on the lake Katey Walter Anthony stares at the black ice beneath her feet and at the white bubbles trapped inside it. Large and small, in layer upon layer, they spread out in every direction, like stars in the night sky. Walter Anthony, an ecologist at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, grabs a heavy ice pick and wraps the rope handle around her wrist. A graduate student holds a lighted match above a large bubble; Walter Anthony plunges the pick into it.

Gas rushing from the hole ignites with a whoomp that staggers her. “My job’s the worst, because usually you catch on fire,” she says, smiling. In the gathering twilight she and her team ignite one bubble after another. .... more

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2012/12/methane/lavelle-text

galdur

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 11:16:40 AM

French Mathematicians Blast UN’s ‘Costly & Pointless Crusade’ Against Global Warming

By Barbara Hollingsworth | October 29, 2015 | 1:19 PM EDT

(CNSNews.com) –  As the United Nations gears up for its next international conference on climate change in Paris next month (COP 21), a scathing white paper released by a society of French mathematicians calls its fight against global warming “absurd” and “a costly and pointless crusade”.

“You would probably have to go quite a long way back in human…history to find [such a] mad obsession,” according to a translated summary of the document released in September by the Paris-based Société de Calcul Mathématique SA.

The mathematicians harshly criticized a “crusade [that] has invaded every area of activity and everyone’s thinking," noting that "the battle [against] CO2 has become a national priority.

"How have we reached this point in a country that claims to be rational?” they ask, adding that mathematicians “do not believe in crusades. They look at facts, figures, comments and arguments.”

“There is not a single fact, figure…[or] observation that leads us to conclude the world’s climate is in any way ‘disturbed,” the paper states. “It is variable, as it has always been. … Modern methods are far from being able to accurately measure the planet’s overall temperature even today, so measurements made 50 or 100 years ago are even less reliable.”

Noting that concentrations of carbon dioxide (CO2) have “always” varied, the French mathematicians also said that after processing the raw data on hurricanes themselves, they verified that “they are no more frequent now than they have been in the past.”

“We are being told that a temperature increase of more than 2 degrees C[elsius] by comparison with the beginning of the industrial age would have dramatic consequences and absolutely has to be prevented.

"When they hear this, people worry. Has there not already been an increase of 1.9 degrees C?

“Actually, no. The figures for the period 1995-2015 show an upward trend of about 1 degree C every hundred years! Of course, these figures, [which] contradict public policies, are never brought to public attention,” the white paper stated.

(Google)
The French mathematicians also said that the UN’s climate models have failed to take into account natural phenomena that affects climate far more than human activity.

Human impact on the climate is “tiny, quite negligible in comparison with natural causes,” they point out. “Human beings can do nothing about solar activity, the state of the oceans, the temperature of the Earth’s magna, or the composition of the atmosphere.”

Furthermore, the work done by the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) does not meet the basic standards set by reputable scientific journals because its “conclusions go [contrary] to observed facts; the figures used are deliberately chosen to support its conclusions (with no regard for the most basic scientific honesty); and the variability of natural phenomena is passed over without comment.”

Even if there were such a thing as global warming, “then we should celebrate,” the mathematicians said. “And if it does not exist, then we simply shall have to carry on switching on the central heating.”

“French policy [on] CO2 is particularly stupid, since we are one of the countries with the cleanest industrial sector,” the white paper pointed out, slamming “virtuous” policies that have resulted in a significant loss of industrial activity and the resultant loss of jobs that has left three million French unemployed even as global CO2 emissions continue to rise.

“If we were in France to stop all industrial activity (let’s not talk about our intellectual activity, [which] ceased long ago), if we were to eradicate all traces of animal life, the composition of the atmosphere would not alter in any measurable, noticeable way,” they said.

The authors also lamented the abandonment of “the adversarial principle” that distinguishes democracies from dictatorships:

“People who do not believe in global warming have been told to shut up. No public debate, no contradictory discourse. No articles in scientific journals. They simply have been told that the case is proven and it is time to take action… We are simply required to keep quiet and do what we are told. No second opinion is permitted.”

“It is on the debris of the fundamental principles of the law and of democracy that this white paper has been written.”

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/barbara-hollingsworth/french-mathematicians-blast-uns-absurd-crusade-against-global

hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 12:39:23 PM

so after volkwagen's cheating scandal, the EU simply allow car manufactures to emit more than twice legal limit of NOx:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/oct/28/eu-emissions-limits-nox-car-manufacturers

not sure what planet these guys live on, nor what do they smoke..

COP21 here we go! Cheesy
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 01:35:05 PM

Releasing frozen methane

The last rays of sun filter through the snow-covered spruces along the shore of Goldstream Lake, just outside Fairbanks, Alaska. Out on the lake Katey Walter Anthony stares at the black ice beneath her feet and at the white bubbles trapped inside it. Large and small, in layer upon layer, they spread out in every direction, like stars in the night sky. Walter Anthony, an ecologist at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, grabs a heavy ice pick and wraps the rope handle around her wrist. A graduate student holds a lighted match above a large bubble; Walter Anthony plunges the pick into it.

Gas rushing from the hole ignites with a whoomp that staggers her. “My job’s the worst, because usually you catch on fire,” she says, smiling. In the gathering twilight she and her team ignite one bubble after another. .... more

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2012/12/methane/lavelle-text

that really sounds totally stupid....
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 01:41:38 PM

Some religious people would also say that this is just a punishment for what we have done. But nonetheless we bring calamities on our own. We must admit that we have contributed to some of this phenomenon. Even in our country we had some climate change that our new curriculum was developed because of the climate change studies.

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/102815-777967-congress-launches-investigation-into-agencys-data-manipulation.htm#ixzz3q1lcQ34y

Earlier this year, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) scientists took part in a study that found — no surprise — that the "pause" in global warming from 1998 to 2013 didn't exist.

Their change didn't come from actual temperature readings. It came from extensive data manipulation and tinkering. Instead of a pause, they found a surge.

What's strange is that major temperature revisions by NOAA and others in recent years have always been up — never down — a clear sign of possible bias.

Earlier this year, for instance, it was revealed that nearly half of all supposed global warming in recent NASA data came from the agency's own highly suspicious statistical changes, not from actual temperature readings.

Enter Rep. Lamar Smith, a Texas Republican and chairman of the House Science Committee. Curious, he subpoenaed NOAA for research documents related to the study. NOAA refused to hand them over. Smith's committee wants to know why.

Read More At Investor's Business Daily: http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/102815-777967-congress-launches-investigation-into-agencys-data-manipulation.htm#ixzz3q3gJaLYo
Follow us: @IBDinvestors on Twitter | InvestorsBusinessDaily on Facebook

NOAA refused to comply with a House Science Committee subpoena.

How about that?

Very sciencey, isn't it?
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 04:47:22 PM

It is starting folks, as predicted.

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 04:59:14 PM

Ah yes, I looked it up. Methanogens deal with the final phase of anaerobic decomposition, the reduction of CO2 in the presense of hydrogen

CO2 + 4 H2 → CH4 + 2H2O

They are classified as archaea, a domain distinct from bacteria. I guess they must be the oldest life form on this planet.

I understood the "new finding" to be that say, trees...directly emit methane by unknown means.  Yes the bacteria production of methane was known.
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 05:51:01 PM

It is starting folks, as predicted.

Pages: « 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 [137] 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 ... 230 »
  Print  

Jump to: