Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 12:37:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 [146] 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 ... 230 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Reddit’s science forum banned climate deniers.  (Read 636405 times)
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
December 25, 2015, 04:54:29 PM

There is nothing like ADHD inducing diesel fumes to get you started on your day. Roll Eyes

See?  All the way from green on the outside, red on the inside...

TO Koch bro loving oil addicts...

There are so many things we can agree on.

We all hate school buses.
flagpara

Activity: 756
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 09:41:52 AM

Wow, that is lots of hate from greens in such few posts  Grin

But still, he's right you know?
What you're saying is "we can't say it's humans, maybe it's not us if we got 20° above normal".

Of course we can't know, but it doesn't matter. It's not a question of being sure, it's a question of what we can assume.
With your reasoning I could dump nuclear waste in your garden (i mean literally) and when you got cancer I'd say "What? You're sure it's nuclear fault? Maybe it's because you're not healthy enough!"

We could do anything. I could shoot you twice then say "Nah, I believe I just saved his life, if I hadn't shot him twice he'd have died from heart attack, only the adrenaline from the shot made him survive."

So "we're not sure" is not an argument guys.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 01:01:05 PM

Wow, that is lots of hate from greens in such few posts  Grin

But still, he's right you know?
What you're saying is "we can't say it's humans, maybe it's not us if we got 20° above normal".

Of course we can't know, but it doesn't matter. It's not a question of being sure, it's a question of what we can assume.
With your reasoning I could dump nuclear waste in your garden (i mean literally) and when you got cancer I'd say "What? You're sure it's nuclear fault? Maybe it's because you're not healthy enough!"

We could do anything. I could shoot you twice then say "Nah, I believe I just saved his life, if I hadn't shot him twice he'd have died from heart attack, only the adrenaline from the shot made him survive."

So "we're not sure" is not an argument guys.

If climate change was about not being sure then no one would have been banned from reddit, To the contrary some are very sure, so sure they ban people with other theories. That is why most of the people who simply voice their professional opinion are shut down, called deniers, or worse.

So I agree that science is about telling the truth about reality, as we understand it until a new paradigm shift happens. Science is not about lying and ask the pope for help.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 03:20:44 PM

If climate change was about not being sure then no one would have been banned from reddit, To the contrary some are very sure, so sure they ban people with other theories. That is why most of the people who simply voice their professional opinion are shut down, called deniers, or worse.

So I agree that science is about telling the truth about reality, as we understand it until a new paradigm shift happens. Science is not about lying and ask the pope for help.

Ahah!
That's right, I don't fucking understand why reddit banned those threads...
I mean it's the worst possible way to settle the debate and see the truth emerge.

But then maybe the thread was horrible, full of insults and things like that, can't know I never saw it.

Every situation that needs a lot of people to agree on a compromise, or a new "truth" is never a peaceful moment, especially in science. Scientists may project an image of calm and logic, but they are still humans, with big ego and long career choices they have to defend, all the way to their death:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2716540/Japanese-scientist-stem-cell-research-retracted-proved-false-commits-suicide.html

Now the internet is full of annoying anonymous infants. They love to pretend to be what they are not sometime. It is easy to pretend to belong to a party, then go to a meeting as a plant and scream how you love racism for example. Not saying that was exclusively case on that reddit sub, but it is something one cannot ignore as a possibility. An excuse to ban, created by the very people who wanted to silent non believers.

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 03:55:41 PM

Ahah!
I mean it's the worst possible way to settle the debate and see the truth emerge.

But then maybe the thread was horrible, full of insults and things like that, can't know I never saw it.
Naw.  It was just full of whining, self righteous climate bigots.  It still is, although now, the propaganda isn't complained about or argued against.  So they got what they wanted - and now nobody reads reddit/climate, because there's no content except their favorite propaganda.
flagpara

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 03:59:42 PM

Ahah!

Every situation that needs a lot of people to agree on a compromise, or a new "truth" is never a peaceful moment, especially in science. Scientists may project an image of calm and logic, but they are still humans, with big ego and long career choices they have to defend, all the way to their death:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2716540/Japanese-scientist-stem-cell-research-retracted-proved-false-commits-suicide.html

Now the internet is full of annoying anonymous infants. They love to pretend to be what they are not sometime. It is easy to pretend to belong to a party, then go to a meeting as a plant and scream how you love racism for example. Not saying that was exclusively case on that reddit sub, but it is something one cannot ignore as a possibility. An excuse to ban, created by the very people who wanted to silent non believers.

Meh. I know that, for sure.
I'm a scientist, well an engineer but you see what I mean.

Doesn't matter, it's still no reason to lock it down. I can believe in creationism if I have good arguments.

Anyway, this thread may have been banned from reddit, but it's quite interesting here ^^

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 04:03:02 PM

Ahah!

Doesn't matter, it's still no reason to lock it down. I can believe in creationism if I have good arguments.

Anyway, this thread may have been banned from reddit, but it's quite interesting here ^^

Agreed.

I think what's interesting is that you can see here the sort of arguments that were banned there.

9/10 of the bad arguments here have been from "Believers."
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 04:14:58 PM

Ahah!

Open source opinion versus closed source opinion. That's why we are all here on bitcointalk, no matter the religion or lack thereof, race...

Cheesy

Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1624

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2015, 05:34:20 PM

How Big Oil Conquered the World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySnk-f2ThpE

galdur

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 05:34:39 PM

ST. LOUIS – Though the Mississippi River and its tributaries didn’t top the 19 vulnerable levees that federal officials were monitoring, the dangers from a rare winter flood remained throughout Missouri and parts of Illinois on Wednesday.

Swollen rivers and streams were pushed to heights not seen since the massive 1993 floods, causing Illinois to transfer an unknown number of inmates from a state prison and declare disasters governor in seven counties and prompting Missouri’s governor to activate the National Guard to help divert traffic away from submerged roads.

Flood steals hope from Missouri families as they return to sodden homes

At least 20 deaths over several days in Missouri and Illinois were blamed on flooding, mostly involving vehicles that drove onto swamped roadways, and at least two people were still missing Wednesday. Some parts of interstates in Missouri reopened, while others were still covered by water.

In southwestern Missouri, residents of about 150 duplexes and homes in the tourist town of Branson had to evacuate Wednesday when flooding from a manmade lake threatened.

But the shopping district along the lake was still open, Fire Chief Ted Martin said, adding, “it has been packed with people, and I don’t know where all of them have come from.”

Sixty miles to the north in Pleasant Hope, the emergency management director said crews are looking for a missing motorist.

“Nobody that is living has ever seen anything like this,” Rick Davis said.

Record flooding was projected in some Mississippi River towns after several days of torrential rain that also caused sewage to flow unfiltered into waterways.

The Meramec River near St. Louis was expected to get to more than 3 feet above the previous record by late this week. The river on Tuesday spilled over the top of the levee at West Alton, Missouri, about 20 miles north of St. Louis. Mayor William Richter ordered any of the town’s approximate 520 residents who had not already evacuated to get out of harm’s way.

Across the river, in Alton, Illinois, dozens of volunteers helped place sandbags ahead of where water is expected to rise. Mayor Brant Walker said in a statement that flooding was expected at least in the basements of the downtown business district.

The normally docile Bourbeuse River reached the roofs of a McDonald’s, QuikTrip and several other businesses in the eastern Missouri town of Union, where the river reached an all-time high Tuesday.

Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon activated the National Guard to assist with security in evacuated areas and to help keep road closure sites clear.

Interstate 44, which had been closed on and off for the past few days, was closed Wednesday in southwest St. Louis County, but the westbound side of the interstate near the central Missouri town of Rolla reopened. Hundreds of smaller roads and highways were also closed across the two states, and flood warnings were in effect.

In southern Illinois, the Department of Corrections transferred an unspecified number of inmates from a state prison to other locations because of flooding risks. The facility houses nearly 3,700 inmates.

The Mississippi River is expected to reach nearly 15 feet above flood stage on Thursday at St. Louis, which would be the second-worst flood on record, behind only the devastating 1993 flood.

The U.S. Coast Guard closed a 5-mile portion of the Mississippi River near St. Louis due to flooding. Capt. Martin Malloy cited high water levels and fast currents in the river, which is a vital transportation hub for barges that carry agricultural products and other goods.

The high water was blamed on the shutdown of a wastewater treatment plant on Monday just south of St. Louis, causing sewage to go directly into nearby rivers and streams. And one of two wastewater plants in Springfield, Missouri, also failed, allowing partially treated sewage to flow into a river.

In Granite City, Illinois, about 30 residents of a flooded trailer park idled in a Red Cross emergency shelter in a church basement. The park’s property manager told Shirley Clark, 56, and other displaced residents that it could be another 10 to 12 days before they’re able to return to their homes.

“We need help over here,” said Clark, a diabetic who said she left behind her insulin supply. “We’re just holding on.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/state/missouri/article52254195.html#storylink=cpy

galdur

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 05:48:29 PM

There is only one river with a personality, a sense of humor, and a woman's caprice; a river that goes traveling sidewise, that interferes in politics, rearranges geography, and dabbles in real estate; a river that plays hide and seek with you today and tomorrow follows you around like a pet dog with a dynamite cracker tied to his tail. That river is the Missouri.

---George Fitch, newspaperman and humorist. From his character sketch of the unruly river.

galdur

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 05:55:59 PM

They don´t write like this in our times that´s for sure...

---------------------------------

It is a perpetual dissatisfaction with its bed that is the greatest peculiarity of the Missouri. It is harder to suit in the matter of beds than a traveling man. Time after time it has gotten out of its bed in the middle of the night, with no apparent provocation, and has hunted up a new bed, all littered with forests, cornfields, brick houses, railroad ties and telegraph poles. It has flopped into this prickly mess with a gurgle of content and has flowed along, placidly, for years, gradually assimilating the foreign substances and wearing down the bumps in its alluvial mattress. Then it has suddenly taken a fancy to its old bed, which by this time has been filled with suburban architecture, and back it has gone with a whoop and a rush, as happy as if it had really found something worth while...

GamingBro

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 09:36:33 PM

Guys, I am still trying to understand: who are climate deniers?

MakingMoneyHoney

Activity: 504

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 11:21:08 PM

People who deny that how much gas we use through driving and heat we use burning coal, etc makes a big difference to our "climate change."

Personally, I think people are controlling some of the weather on purpose, so I don't deny our climate has changed, but I do deny that we, individually do anything to it. I think it's more geoengineering and HAARP.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 12:10:33 AM

Those who the annointed say are climate deniers are the deniers.  That's all you need to know, since this is not about you knowing anything for sure, except to do and think what we tell you too.  And be careful, unless you step over the line.  Will we tell you where that line is?  Of course not - this keeps you in a state of anxiety and fear.  Might you be a climate denier already?  What are those whispers?

Just be sure to blame EVERYTHING on man's bungling with fossil fuels.  Toss out the word Exxon, and Kach, and polar bears.   
flagpara

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 10:35:28 AM

Well, a mistake in itself.
Denier is a strong word, used essentially to talk about the Shoah deniers, people believing nazis never killed all those people and that extermination camps don't exist.

So denier is not a good word for what we're talking about. Cause there is not such a huge and solid proof for climate change.

But I still think, from what I know, that most people being "deniers" are still a bit mindlessly obstinate ^^
They are people saying the impact of mankind on environment is not that big because "you don't know maybe it would have happened anyway!"  Tongue

(and most of them are American! xD )

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 04:16:02 PM

Well, a mistake in itself.
Denier is a strong word, used essentially to talk about the Shoah deniers, people believing nazis never killed all those people and that extermination camps don't exist.

So denier is not a good word for what we're talking about. Cause there is not such a huge and solid proof for climate change.

But I still think, from what I know, that most people being "deniers" are still a bit mindlessly obstinate ^^
They are people saying the impact of mankind on environment is not that big because "you don't know maybe it would have happened anyway!"  Tongue

(and most of them are American! xD )

Or, such as in my case, I said 10 years ago that climate sensitivity was likely 1/3 of what the Faithful Believers said, what the climate alarmists shrilly proclaimed.  This was based on math and statistics - analysis.

So they gleefully called me a denier.

But they were wrong, and I was right.

Now, many of them still have not accepted evidence today of lower climate sensitivity.

Who is the denier?
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 03:20:41 PM

Are Climate Skeptics Too ‘Mentally Ill’ to Buy Guns Under Obama’s New Rules?

Today, Pres. Obama announced new executive orders on gun control designed to keep “mentally ill” people from buying guns – but, will they be used to prevent climate skeptics from buying firearms?

Under Obama’s new rules, doctors can now report people deemed “mentally ill” to the FBI so they can be denied gun licenses.

As the official White House fact sheet on the new gun control regulations states (emphasis added):

“Current law prohibits individuals from buying a gun if, because of a mental health issue, they are either a danger to themselves or others or are unable to manage their own affairs.  The Social Security Administration (SSA) has indicated that it will begin the rulemaking process to ensure that appropriate information in its records is reported to NICS.”

If, as Pres. Obama has repeatedly claimed, climate change is a greater threat than terrorism, then aren’t people who deny the climate threat “a danger to themselves or others” and unfit to own guns?

The idea that climate skeptics are mentally ill is nothing new:

Oregon-based professor of "sociology and environmental studies" Kari Norgaard has declared climate skepticism a mental illness that must be “treated.”

Psychology Today published an article listing three warning signs that you are in “climate change denial”:

“You think climate change is bad, but not that bad.”
    “You don’t have an emotional reaction to climate change.”
    “You aren’t getting political.”

Thus, if you don’t think the climate threat is great enough, or you’re not furious about it, or you’re not politically active in the climate fight, then you’ve got mental issues.

The Telegraph’s “Climate 'denial' is now a mental disorder” explains how so-call “eco-psychologists” convened at the University of the West of England in Bristol to explore classifying “climate change denial” as a “mental disorder.”

Nature.com published an article warning about high-carbon “addiction” (using central heating, etc.)

And remember when Obama's EPA Chief Gina McCarthy declared that climate skeptics aren’t “normal” people?

So, you might want to think twice before discussing the nearly two-decade pause in global warming with your doctor the next time you go in for your annual check-up.

Editor's Add-On: ClimateDepot.com reports that one NYU professor even wants to genetically alter humans to make them more eco-friendly.

http://www.mrctv.org/blog/are-climate-skeptics-too-mentally-ill-buy-guns-under-obama-s-new-rules

Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1624

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2016, 12:11:09 AM

Are Climate Skeptics Too ‘Mentally Ill’ to Buy Guns Under Obama’s New Rules?

Today, Pres. Obama announced new executive orders on gun control designed to keep “mentally ill” people from buying guns – but, will they be used to prevent climate skeptics from buying firearms?

Under Obama’s new rules, doctors can now report people deemed “mentally ill” to the FBI so they can be denied gun licenses.

As the official White House fact sheet on the new gun control regulations states (emphasis added):

“Current law prohibits individuals from buying a gun if, because of a mental health issue, they are either a danger to themselves or others or are unable to manage their own affairs.  The Social Security Administration (SSA) has indicated that it will begin the rulemaking process to ensure that appropriate information in its records is reported to NICS.”

If, as Pres. Obama has repeatedly claimed, climate change is a greater threat than terrorism, then aren’t people who deny the climate threat “a danger to themselves or others” and unfit to own guns?

The idea that climate skeptics are mentally ill is nothing new:

Oregon-based professor of "sociology and environmental studies" Kari Norgaard has declared climate skepticism a mental illness that must be “treated.”

Psychology Today published an article listing three warning signs that you are in “climate change denial”:

“You think climate change is bad, but not that bad.”
    “You don’t have an emotional reaction to climate change.”
    “You aren’t getting political.”

Thus, if you don’t think the climate threat is great enough, or you’re not furious about it, or you’re not politically active in the climate fight, then you’ve got mental issues.

The Telegraph’s “Climate 'denial' is now a mental disorder” explains how so-call “eco-psychologists” convened at the University of the West of England in Bristol to explore classifying “climate change denial” as a “mental disorder.”

Nature.com published an article warning about high-carbon “addiction” (using central heating, etc.)

And remember when Obama's EPA Chief Gina McCarthy declared that climate skeptics aren’t “normal” people?

So, you might want to think twice before discussing the nearly two-decade pause in global warming with your doctor the next time you go in for your annual check-up.

Editor's Add-On: ClimateDepot.com reports that one NYU professor even wants to genetically alter humans to make them more eco-friendly.

http://www.mrctv.org/blog/are-climate-skeptics-too-mentally-ill-buy-guns-under-obama-s-new-rules

Obomba needs to include grade "A" morons and his own peace prize buying ass because they must have failed science class. xD

"For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction CONTROLLED OPPOSTION." Cool

What do you think happens to all of that heat being generated by the billions of motors, engines, exhaust manifolds ect. ?

Why isn't this so called environmental movement talking about it ?

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 11:37:02 PM
Last edit: January 07, 2016, 11:49:32 PM by Spendulus

xxx

Pages: « 1 ... 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 [146] 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 ... 230 »
  Print  

Jump to: